680i mobo without heatpipes?

gilga

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a case that inverts the mobo and have heard that the performance of heatpipes is killed when turned upside down. I know its early but does anyone know if a non heat pipe 680i mobo will be released?

thats a myth. why wouldnt the heatpipe work if the board was upside down? and even if it were true, all you would need to do would be turn your case upside down.

I dont know where the myth that heatpipes not working upside down is a myth started, but its really annoying.

Both straight from the manufacturers, and from personal experience with my case and multiple motherboards (case is an iATX aerocool spiral galaxies), heatpipes on motherboards work very inefficiently upside down. As much as 10* C higher temps.

Let me explain why, in general, heatpipes work fine in any direction, but those are WICKED heatpipes, the heatpipes that pc manufacturers use are WICKLESS, and only work in one direction via evaporation and gravity.

Someone official needs to put this to rest :/

Oh, and as for the "why dont you just turn your case upside down" bit, yah, not even gonna comment on that one.

thanx jbrukardt for stepping up and clarifying this issue for me. I heard the wick explanation before but couldnt remember if that applied to earlier heat piped mobos. Guess it still does. So does anyone forsee a non heat piped 680i performance /enthuiast class mobo in the future?

You could always replace the heatpipe coolers with something else.

jbrukardt said:
I dont know where the myth that heatpipes not working upside down is a myth started, but its really annoying.

Both straight from the manufacturers, and from personal experience with my case and multiple motherboards (case is an iATX aerocool spiral galaxies), heatpipes on motherboards work very inefficiently upside down. As much as 10* C higher temps.

Let me explain why, in general, heatpipes work fine in any direction, but those are WICKED heatpipes, the heatpipes that pc manufacturers use are WICKLESS, and only work in one direction via evaporation and gravity.

Someone official needs to put this to rest :/

Oh, and as for the "why dont you just turn your case upside down" bit, yah, not even gonna comment on that one.

i really am upset that you are annoyed about the myth/myth thing but you are wrong. again.
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=320&type=expert&pid=3

"The SPP and MCP are being cooled by a passive heatpipe solution that is pretty short in comparison to some other designs we have seen recently. It does not come into play when installing graphics cards or memory and is able to keep the chipset pretty cool on its own. And, for those of you with interest, I have word from NVIDIA that says this heatpipe with work in either a normal or an upside down installation. To quote NVIDIA: "The heatpipe includes a wick which allows the thermal energy to transfer from one point to another in any orientation, even against gravity. In this solution the sintered powder of the heatpipe acts as the wicking"

again, sorry about the annoyed thing, and the "upside down" case thing. wpouldnt want you to comment on that and be wrong about that, too.

Well thats fucking spectacular :) About time a manufacturer didnt cheap out on the heatpipes. I apologize and stand utterly corrected. Up to this point i hadnt seen a single wicked heatpipe on a motherboard.

Thank you very much for pointing that out, i hope other manufacturers follow the trend.

Probably depends on the manufacturer as to whether or not it works upsidedown.

thanx guys for the help. Looks like Im going to get a 680i

Cheers!!!

Great to hear that this board is using the wick. What about the Asus Striker Extreme? I am waiting for it and have a Lian Li V1200plus case.

I had asked the same question about the Striker Extreme in my Lian Li PC-V1000B case and was told that it would not work because the Southbridge would "catch on fire".

Now Im in the market for a new f'in case if this holds to be true. Would really like to get the eVGA 680i board but have read you must dremel just to install a Zalman 9500 and I would hate to do that.

Back