680i & e6600 Repeated Disk Boot Failure

Eihli

Gawd
My new build has repeatedly failed to boot by giving me the error message, "Boot Disk Failure." The first two times I assumed it was an overclock error, but then it happened again when I was running stock voltages. To fix the error I reset the cmos jumper on the motherboard, but my windows installation is coming up as corrupted (unrepairable). It's becoming a pain in the ass that this is gonna be the 3-4th time this week i've installed my OS on it, and have no idea what it could be. The HD is a raptor 150gb, but I don't think it's the culprit considering the first time it did it on a Seagate 320gb.

I saw a post saying something about how e6600 and 680's are incompatible, and that a BIOS revision was being worked on? I couldn't find it again...so I don't know. Does anyone paleeeeeeease have any insight into this because it's being a pain in the ass.

[Boot to CD also doesn't work when i get that message, the only way to fix it is by resetting the CMOS. It only happens when I reboot about 6 hours after finishing installation for the drivers.. maybe something about nTune (which I need to slow down my MCP fan)]

ryan_975 said:
he's already tried two different hard drives and even the ODD doesn't boot up.

Sorry, must have misread the post. Well I have an e6600 and a 680i and they seem to be working fine, except for a few quirks here and there.

Are you using a SATA or IDE for your CD drives?

I ask this because if you are using SATA CD drives and hard drives then the SATA controller might be bad. In that case you might want to try a CD drive hooked up to the ATA ribbon to rule that out.

What is involved in RMAing? I paid over $150 between my two shipments, overnight, and sending it back and then getting it back in 4 weeks isn't... too convenient.

Can anyone find the thread talkinga bout the 680i and e6600 incompatibility?

[Edit: Could this problem be caused by my CMOS battery? From what I understand a bad battery can cause settings to be cleared on reboot, forcing me to mess with the CMOS jumpers??]

With the 680i boards, if you register it within a month of buying it, EVGA will offer cross-shipping on the RMA. You pay the shipping on sending yours back, and they pay the shipping on sending you a new one.

This is a almost definately a software problem, why are you telling me to RMA it?

It works when my CMOS is cleared, by for some reason something is changing my CMOS constantly and forcing me to keep doing the whole reset thing. What hardware related, besides a faulty CMOS battery, could be doing this?

The CMOS battery failing has been ruled out.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this was a setting in nTune doing this. The only thing I did prior to last reboot was change the speed on my MCP fan down.

After I flashed the BIOS i'm randomly getting reboots on startup.
Also whenever I reboot BIOS is setting all of my boot drives to [Removable] and isn't registering any of them, and the CMOS reset fixes that.

Could this be a buggy CMOS or what?

Mike, I'm so glad that you read a thread before you post. :rolleyes:

It was a software problem like I suspected.

Eihli said:

Sorry, but I'm going to have to side with Mike on this one. RMA the board. Irregardless whether you think it's only a software issues, it's better safe than sorry.

Also, this sounds more like issues with either the Raid controller causing corruption, which some people have reported here, or with the SATA controller IMO.

But hey, it's your $300 (more like $2000 but who's counting right?).

weird. glad you got it sorted out. i do know that in many cases, it's due to too high a pci bus (ide world. maybe newworld ide as well but not sure) or too high a pcie bus for sata

Eihli said:

Well if you want to be a faggot about it then more power to you. I was simply trying to give some helpful suggestions.

Back