Project:Oxidized sequel

Due to the local response I received from my first mod,
ssone.jpg
in case you're interested, the entire worklog can be seen here www.tstonedesign.com I was asked to do a similar build for an associate. It will be impossible to duplicate my rig exactly, hopefully this will be better. This is that worklog.
I'm not gonna waste a bunch of bandwidth with the very preliminary aspects of this mod, and I'm not looking to win anything, this is as much something for my client to "follow along", as it is anything else.
Once again, I will start with a generic , mid-tower, this is my fourth build with this particular case, they're lightweight yet rugged with more than enough room for everything.
firstset.jpg

I started fabricating a new front for the case with a mesh panel. I cut the panel to roughly the correct size.(1). I mounted the panel to a pair of 1inch aluminum angle cut to the proper length(2). I'll temporarily attach the mesh to the angle aluminum w/ misc. hardware (3). I cut out an opening for the intake fan I'll attach this "front panel" to the case, (trying to use as many of the factory holes as possible) with standard nuts and bolts. . I had a Chieftec front bezel in the shop, so i cut the top off to reuse (5). I had to bondo up the ends slightly to get all the seams to align correctly. The work in progress (6).

Baseprogression.jpg

With the Oxidized mod, I elevated the machine a couple of inches, being a mid-tower this won't be invasive, whether its set on the floor, or on a desk. I won't cheaply be able to replicate the Oxidized "feet". but I'll raise the machine never the less. With a scratch-builders eye, and a ghetto mind I'll use this cowling off a thrift store Hoover Convertible upright vacuum cleaner, circa early 80s I'm guessing. Feel free to insert your "This mod is gonna suck" quip here.

I cut the top off the cowling and cut it in half lengthwise, and removed enough material so it will be just slightly wider than the case. I mounted this new "base" on a quarter inch laminate board. I'm gonna attach the base to the case with this 4 inch plumbing assembly, a pipe and a cap. I had to cut the pipe to the proper height, and glued it to the base. I covered it with aluminum and some body filler. I'll attach the cap to the bottom of the case with machine nuts and bolts, through the holes I drilled. The base simply screws on and off allowing the machine to swivel 360 degrees. The whole assembly can be removed in seconds.

One can see in the picture, I left the back of the base open. I'll possibly stick one or two inverters for lights in here, as well as some lighting itself. No inverters inside the case itself ever! Perhaps I'll just use all LED lighting.

In the oxidized mod. I put some Doom3 inspired accents on the"feet" and used a technique to give the whole mod an aged look. At this point in time I was wanting to keep this mod cleaner and sleeker, however. the buyer wanted the base "dressed up" (his exact words) so with a combination of plexiglass and basswood I went and glued on these embellishments. As I continued to work on this, I grew to like the rugged look of it. After I sprayed a base coat of machinery gray on the base, I went on to add some subtle color. Like the oil painter dude on public television says "Lets get crazy" I then sprayed the whole piece with light coat of metallic silver. Although far from complete, I'm finished with the base for now.
basepaint1.jpg

basepaint2.jpg

basepaint3.jpg

baseinplace1.jpg

baseinplace2.jpg

baseinplace3.jpg

I've been busy working on the right side of the chassis.
Roughrtsidepanel.jpg

I will put in a door to access the HDDS. I cut a piece of aluminum the size I wanted.
door1.jpg

I then cut a window in it.
door2.jpg

I attached a pair of small hinges with an industrial adhesive.
door3.jpg

I sandwiched a piece of mesh between the aluminum door and a piece of plexiglass cut to size.
door4.jpg

Its now prepped for paint.
door6.jpg

I will put a large grille in like the Oxidized mod.
rtsiderille1.jpg
rtsiderille2.jpg

as well as a large window which can't really show much, but I'll paint some industrial type theme, and light it somehow. I will also try something different with some 4 inch CCFLs to use on this side. I've spent some time on the top of the case also. I cut a large round hole where I'll install the "Urban Assault" grille. Hopefully there will be enough clearance to install a kick-ass PSU. That all I got for now.

I'm really not 100% in love with this base I've constructed, I'm just not feelin it. I spent last weekend re-vamping it. I started with some plastic I hacked from this air cleaner.
plasticgrille.jpg

I bent and attached some of the grille I glued some misc parts on each side. as well.
newbasefive.jpg

newbasefour.jpg

I cut up a fishing lure container added some paint to make a light enclosure for the left side.
newbaseone.jpg

newbasetwo.jpg

newbasethree.jpg

I put 2 red LEDs in each side, this is roughly what the'll look like.
newbasesix.jpg

newbaseseven.jpg

I put an LED assembly in the center, this will glow up into the case when finished.
newbaseeight.jpg

I bent a piece of plexiglass to cover the rear of the base (if you'll recall from earlier, I left it open).
I installed some connectors to facilitate getting power to the lights.
newbasenine.jpg

With some small plumbing connectors, clear tubing and some paint, I made a housing for a 4 inch CCFL.
tubelight1.jpg

tubelight2.jpg

tubelight3.jpg

On a side note, I received an airbrush for Christmas don't mind the experimentation.
The work in progress.
rtside.jpg

rtsidelg.jpg

Here one can see the HDD access door finished, and in place. It opens and closes with a firm solid feel via a small magnet.

Continuing with the right side, I had some gauges from an old part,
portholes1.jpg

so I cut them up and put them on like this.
holes.jpg

portholes2.jpg

portholes3.jpg

On the plexi I used for a "backer", I'll silicon some LEDs.

Trying to think forward, I ran some wire through some flexible tubing underneath where the motherboard will sit. Any wiring I can conceal now, the better. I riveted some small aluminum straps to hold it.
tube1.jpg

tube2.jpg

I added a second tube, I neglected to take a picture.
Nearly finished, they look like this.
tube3.jpg

I'm experimenting with a new painting technique as well
paint.jpg

I added a second "tube light", in the same manner as the first.

rtsidelg2.jpg

like that paint. Looks like rust bubbling up from under the paint... very industrial looking.Keep it up!

I want the wireless keyboard and mouse RF receiver integrated into the rig, like my first mod. This RF receiver is a little different though. I started by making a small "cradle" using steel mesh and body filler. I integrated some of the plastic grill used on the base, and glued some other stuff on.
]
cradle1.jpg

Paint it up roughly, and screw it to the base
cradle2.jpg

in place
cradle3.jpg

The cable will run through the base, allowing me to hide as much cable as need be. I ran the cable through a "conduit" I made with some plastic pipe. elbows. etc, exiting at the rear of the base. I'll figure some way to snake it up the back.
cradle4.jpg

The RF receiver can be pulled out of the cradle and moved if need be, and the reset button is easily accessible when its in its place. I'll still need to finish up a lot of cosmetic "loose ends".
cradle5.jpg

Tying up some loose ends. I fabricated an extension to the rear plumbing that encases the RF receiver cable. This will allow enough clearance to turn the base on and off the chassis.
cradle6.jpg

I ditched the phono jacks that connected the LEDs in the base in favor of this plumbing. This will serve a twofold purpose: a better way to remove the base, and a manner in which limit the amount of swivel once the base is "attached"
cradle4.jpg

I cut a big smile (arc) in the rear bottom of the chassis.
Swivel2.jpg

I apologize for the quality, I don't know what happened.

Attaching a larger "flange" on top of the existing wire housing will limit the amount of rotation to aprox. 30 degree, once the base is run up to the case.
swivel3.jpg

In this pic, it may be kinda hard to tell, the plumbing enters the case just enough that it can't travel any further than the cut-out arc will allow. (I'm sure I'll put a sound card in the last PCI slot, so the amount of clearance is important.)
One can also see the RF receiver cable plumbing.
swivel4.jpg

I thought these portholes looked a little out of place...
rtsidelg2.jpg

I obscured them slightly
Rtsidebasepaint.jpg

:cool:
Nice job on the rough look. Great decision on that. Gives you much more leeway artistically than the sterile looking neat & shiny
systems we so often see in the modding forums.
:cool:

I hacked these sexy analog gauges from a pre-mod case I got a good deal on.
gauge1.jpg

There is a temperature gauge, fan speed gauge and a VU meter for sound output I believe. I'm gonna use the VU Meter for a HDD activity gauge, with a PCB from an old "Swashbuckler". These gauges cannot be used the way I want them in the housings in which they were manufactured because my case front is not flat, its curved. I have to un-solder the gauge from its PCB, rendering its backlit LEDs useless. I'll re-house the gauge in my own ghetto design,
detergent-lid.jpg

put in new backlighting and make it "self-contained"
gauge2.jpg

gauge3.jpg

gauge4.jpg

I'll repeat this for the other two gauges even though I may not use both

I put a couple 80mm fans in the top.
I glued them together using some "extraordinary glue"
Fans1.jpg

I glued plexiglass around all 4 sides, and cut a piece of mesh material to cover them.
Fans2.jpg

I cut and attached some small aluminum angle to trim it up.
Fans3.jpg

Measure twice cut once
Fans4.jpg

Fans5.jpg

I recessed it about a quarter inch down in the case.
Prepped for paint
Fans6.jpg

You got some mad skills. I will definitely be checking back here.

I put in some breaker switches to control the two top fans, and the auxiliary lighting. (Some lights will run all the time, and the intake and exhaust fans will be controlled with a controller. The Oxidized rig is watercooled, so the fans could be shut off completely, with this machine being air cooled, I didn't want that as an option.)
I glued the two breakers together with some laminate wood in between as a spacer.
switches.jpg

I cut a piece of aluminum angle and riveted it to the chassis body. The switches will rest on this. If one looks closely, one can see I cut some notches in this brace allowing me access to the rivets holding the floppy drive enclosure to the case.
switches1.jpg

Replacing the mesh front panel. I roughly draw out where I need to cut.
switches2.jpg

The switches in place.
switches3.jpg

I wrapped the switches in plexiglass, primed and painted.
switches5.jpg

switches4.jpg

Safety tip of the day, SECURE LONG HAIR BEFORE OPERATING ANY POWER TOOL.
hairrippedout.jpg

This conglomeration of PCBs and wire is whats needed to control all the gauges.
pcbs1.jpg

pcbs2.jpg

I'll cut down and house the largest of the PCBs in the top 5.25 inch drive bay.
This board controls what will be the HDD usage meter. It has some funky LEDs that go all crazy at startup so I got that going for me, which is good.
I'll house the other boards in the floppy drive bay now removed.
pcbs3.jpg

pcbs4.jpg

pcbs6.jpg

I drilled some holes and mounted the smaller boards on a small piece of plexi.
Into this drive bay, I'm also going to mount this RCA jack assembly. I'll plug all the lights into this.
pcbs5.jpg

The plexi with the two PCBs is attached to a piece of aluminum angle screwed through the drive bay side, like a normal drive, so it can slide out if need be.
pcbs7.jpg

This part needs to be fairly strong to facilitate plugging in the connectors, so I mounted it in a piece of heavier aluminum. This will probably never be seen, but I'll clean it up none-the-less.
pcbs8.jpg

I really like the look of these hard disk coolers, (although I guess they quiet more than they actually cool). They'll go well with the industrial "theme" of the mod, but I'll need to engineer a manner in which to stack them. Using some aluminum straight stock and angle I'll fabricate a new HDD "cage".
HDcage1.jpg

HDcage2.jpg

HDcage3.jpg

I'm gonna install two 500 Gb HDs, however the assembly will allow for the case manufacturers full allotment of 4 disks. I'll use three of the HD coolers for now.
HDcage4.jpg

HDcage5.jpg

HDcage6.jpg

HDcage7.jpg

Moving on to the front of the PC. I finished up the bottom with a piece of heavy aluminum. This will also help reinforce the area where the HDD assembly bolts through.
Bottom1.jpg

Bottom2.jpg

I cut out holes for the 2 optical drives. and installed some channel molding. I cut holes for my gauges and test fitted them, as well as the breaker switch assembly shown earlier.
OPDrives1.jpg

OPDrives2.jpg

OPDrives5.jpg

tempgaugehole.jpg

Fanspeedgauge.jpg

This is the front, starting to take shape.
Front1.jpg

OPDrives4.jpg

Subscribed.:eek:

I especially like what you did with the pvc elbows and 4" ccfl's. Very cool.:cool:

I'm going to have to fast track this mod from here on out.
I cut holes and mounted the optical drive switches.
Drvswich1.jpg

Drvswich2.jpg

Drvswich3.jpg

I voided the warranties on the PSU, as well as
Drvswich4.jpg

the keyboard and mouse
Drvswich5.jpg

Wow.. I can't believe I missed this...

This thing is wicked cool... nice work.

I put a second set of "ports" for the lights that will come on at power-up. (The LEDs housed in the gauges)
I housed them on the rear of the floppy drive enclosure, that I stuck all those circuit boards in.
pcbs7.jpg

part15one.jpg

part15two.jpg

part15three.jpg

I finished off the interface between the base and the chassis.
part15four.jpg

lookin good. where'd you get that ring for the front fan from?
The ring came from the pre-mod case I hacked the gauges from. I believe its hidden behind a door on the pre-mod. I drilled the holes and put the hex bolts through, however. Thanks

Very well done so far. The paint is what gives the mod the touch. Very creative. cant wait to see more.

I cut out a spot for the front USB and Firewire connections.
part16one.jpg

I fashioned a small plastic circle for the fan speed knob.
part16two.jpg

Every mod will have certain "alterations" or unforeseen challenges that arise during construction. The fan speed controller is really not well made. I only wanted to use it because of its analog gauge. This just isn't working out as planned. I'll control the fan speed, it just can't be displayed in analog, or any other fashion. I replaced that gauge with the VU meter that displays HD activity. I'm now gonna have to re-think the left side layout, it kinda sucks.
part16three.jpg

I installed all the hardware into the case finally, and am fooling with he final aspects of the lighting and paint. Thanks all.

The manner in which the weight was distributed once all the parts were installed, required me to rivet a heavy piece of steel to the bottom to reinforce the case.
part17one.jpg

The original top cap shown at the very beginning of the worklog, overhang the front too far, so I cut it back.
part17two.jpg

I added some handles and the fan control knob to the front and continue to de-bug the rig and paint. Thanks again all.
part17four.jpg

I mounted a keypad, a reset switch, a power LED and a bracket to hang the motherboards remote into a piece of aluminum. This then mounts on the left side of the case. The keypad starts the machine by pressing the 0 key.
part18_0.jpg

part18_1.jpg

part18_2.jpg

part18_3.jpg

This basically finished the rig, which I delivered April 1.
The new owner recently had an imprompto photo shoot.
The following pics courtesey of tstonedesign.com
final_1.jpg

Final_2.jpg

Final_3.jpg

Final_4.jpg

Final_5.jpg

Final_6.jpg

Final_7.jpg

Final_8.jpg

Final_9.jpg

Final_10.jpg

Final_11.jpg

:eek: I think im in love. That front mesh is just what im hoping to accomplish with my mod, thanks for some ideas.

Very nice! The receiver sticking out the bottom sucks, but you can't very well mount it inside the case. I hope the "rust" on the keyboard and mouse won't wear off. Other than that, it's an awesome-looking mod. Well done overall:D

Back