Eclipse, or anyone, I'm ready to figure out what's wrong with my Corsair PC4000 2x1gb

Nobi125

[H]ard|Gawd
If you don't remember, we talked about it in this thread sorta.... http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1054515&highlight=pc4000

It seems like I've tried everything and I can't run the ram at 250mhz.

I tried it with the stock timings, 2T command rate, HT Multi at every level, 2.7-2.8v and it still won't work right. It gets into windows but fails prime in 20 seconds.

I tried what Redbeard suggested in that other thread and gave the cpu 1.45V (up from the 1.42 it normally needs to be 24 hour prime stable).

I normally run the fsb at 260 with a 5:6 divider since my Cpu is good for 2.6ghz, but I think my ram is bad and I want to get it replaced in case I end up selling it.

If you have already been thru troubleshooting steps with Redbeard and you think the memory is defective, let's get it replaced. The fastest way is to use our Tech Support Express. PM me if I can help in any way.

Mike.

TSX LINK

We have two Corsair Reps on here?

That's ownage.

In that other thread Redbeard and I didn't really sit down and try to figure it out, he just gave me a couple of suggestions. I figured I'd get some more ideas if anyone had any before hitting up the TSX.

I'd like to hope it's still me doing something retarded that's making it not work so I don't have to send it back in. I don't have any backup ram here to toss in my rig at the moment.

In theory, your system looks rock solid as far as quality so that should not be an issue. Do you have the latest bios loaded? Also, you can go as high as 2.9v and not void the warranty so try that also.

Next, let's try running www.memtest.org

Set the memory timings manually to the stock settings for your memory (find them here) and the memory voltage to 2.8v for this test. Then, make sure Legacy USB Support is disabled in the bios as it conflicts with Memtest. Test each DIMM individually for 5-10 passes each and let me know if either shows any errors.

Sorry it took me so long to get around to dealing with this, I've been really busy with college and work and haven't had time to sit down and run memtest for a while.

I ran it tonight and this is what I got:

Sorry about the image quality, had to take it with a cell phone.

The test was done at stock timings, with 2.8V as suggested, and with USB legacy support turned off.

Stock timings on the Newegg listing show up as 3-4-4-8 but in CPUZ, Everest, and Sandra Soft, it shows up as 3-4-4-10. So I used 3-4-4-10 since I figured that would be a slower and safer timing. I've tried 3-4-4-8 before and it never passed Prime 95 testing either. I also tried the CPU at stock and the ram at stock and it was getting reboots while running Windows.

Set up an RMA or is there anything else I can try?

Any errors in Memtest is bad news.
Now test each stick by its self to check its not errors between the sticks.
If theres no errors with single sticks, then see if it will boot & run Memtest with the memory in different slots.
Once you've tested every permutation then you will have a better understanding if its the memory or mobo's thats could be bad.

I once found the stable combination of 4 sticks on the 17th attempt.
Each stick tested good by itself but running together the first 16 combo's gave me errors.
In total ran Memtest for ~32 hours to find the working combo.

Luck .............. :D

That's a lot of testing, thankfully, I only have two modules though.

The ram slots are color coded as well, so that narrows it down to only two possible options.

This was my first comp build though, so I'm not a pro or anything :p

In theory, your system looks rock solid as far as quality so that should not be an issue. Do you have the latest bios loaded? Also, you can go as high as 2.9v and not void the warranty so try that also.

I gave it 2.9v and it wouldn't even get into Windows, it did with 2.8 though. This ram doesn't like high volts :p

Pretty sure I have the newest mobo bios as well.

That's a lot of testing, thankfully, I only have two modules though.

Yeah, it is a lot of testing, but well worth the effort to narrow down whether it is a memory or motherboard problem. I used to have an Abit board that shot off Memtest errors, but only in 2 of the slots, when i switched to the other set or tried the memory on another board, it worked fine.

Just swapped the sticks around and didn't have any luck.

I need to see if any of my friends will loan me some ram while I rma.

Does Corsair offer any sort of advance replacement RMA service (with a Credit Card hold of course) like some video card manufacturers do?

Once I con a friend into loaning me some ram the rma won't be a problem. :cool:

Any recommendations for packaging the ram up?

I have the original packaging but it's at my parents' house.

Anti-Static bag and a bunch of packing peanuts?

Any recommendations for packaging the ram up?

I have the original packaging but it's at my parents' house.

Anti-Static bag and a bunch of packing peanuts?

Get a balloon and rub it on your hair, then rub the balloon all over the modules. To make sure they are clean, put them through the dishwasher on "Pots & Pans", use only Cascade detergent, other brands may cause problems. Once they are clean, please place them in the oven on BROIL and allow 1 hour to cook. Slap a stamp on them and send them on in (use tongs).

Okay, just kidding. The original packaging isn't necessary. Just put them in an anti-static bag and make sure your RMA # is on the package.

If you want to do cross-shipping, you might be able to do it if you send an email to [email protected] and explain your situation. In rare cases, they will allow this. Usually they charge your card for the full amount and then credit it when we get the memory back.

Back