Absolutely BEST aircooling POLL

BEST AIRCOOLER

• Total voters

chrisf6969

[H]F Junkie
Ok I've got a Thermalright XP-90c which when I bought it was probably the best.

I've been thinking of getting the Scythe Ninja so I can point the exhaust heat toward the back of the case and it can exit, where with the XP-90 it just blows it down against mobo & not necessarily out the case.

So I wanted to get everyone's votes & opinions on what is the CURRENT best of the best Air cooled HSFs. Hopefully I don't leave any of the good ones out.

Tuniq Tower 120.

I can't believe how well it performs. E6700 @ 3616

Now 46C idle, load 53
was using a Zalman 9500 and the Tuniq temps are 12 degrees cooler on both ends.
My idle temp at stock is 31C, with the Zalman is was 45.

Getting a bit nervous, simply because it appears too good to be true.

I forgot that. Though it looks very similar to the Scythe Mine.

I'm leaning towards the Scythe Infinity or Scythe Ninja
or maybe the Thermalright Ultra 120

1erCru said:
Tuniq Tower 120.

I can't believe how well it performs. E6700 @ 3616

Now 46C idle, load 53
was using a Zalman 9500 and the Tuniq temps are 12 degrees cooler on both ends.
My idle temp at stock is 31C, with the Zalman is was 45.

Well considering how much surface area the Tuniq Tower has, theres no doubt in my mind that its close to what your temps are reading.

jon67 said:
Other - please post other in thread

THERMALTAKE BIG TYPHOON VX

I almost put that on the list, it was # 11 on my list... but there was a max of 10 option, and I needed "Other"

This is rediculous that we have to resort to polling a bunch of people on a forum to find out the best aircooler. Of course, everybody here is likely to recommend the heatsink they have used in their own rig, because I'm sure every one of these is good in some way!

Some website out there needs to publish a big roundup of all the best CPU coolers available.

I've been leaning towards the Zalman 9700, but the fact that I can't change the fan when it goes out worries me.

So now I'm considering the Tuniq Tower, some Scythe monstrosity, or the Tuniq.

This is too hard. I wonder which one is cheapest?

jebo_4jc said:
This is rediculous that we have to resort to polling a bunch of people on a forum to find out the best aircooler. Of course, everybody here is likely to recommend the heatsink they have used in their own rig, because I'm sure every one of these is good in some way!

Some website out there needs to publish a big roundup of all the best CPU coolers available.

I've been leaning towards the Zalman 9700, but the fact that I can't change the fan when it goes out worries me.

So now I'm considering the Tuniq Tower, some Scythe monstrosity, or the Tuniq.

This is too hard. I wonder which one is cheapest?

Some people might have experience with a few on the list. So they might pick one over the other. Or if they're not happy with their HSF, for some reason, they might not pick it. So it might be a popularity contest, not a scientific which has best performance. Overclockers.com has a decent round up: http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/p4sum.asp The Ninja looks to perform almost as well as my current XP-90c, but its much cooler.

chrisf6969 said:
I almost put that on the list, it was # 11 on my list... but there was a max of 10 option, and I needed "Other"

Zalman 7700Cu and AC Freezer don't belong on the list.

Yeah I put Tuniq Tower on froogle and everywhere is OOS. There are 10 this guy is selling on ebay but its $70 + $10 for shipping :rolleyes:.

i voted ac freezer, but i would have voted for the ac freezer 64 pro if i had seen it

it works great, is quiet, exhausts to the exhaust fan, and is cheap

it's very nice

1erCru said:
Tuniq Tower 120.

No worries, it's true. I've used a Thermalright XP90, XP120, Zalman 7000, 7700, 9500, Ninja, and now the Tuniq. It far exceeds all in performance and especially in mount IMO.

RexPokinghorn said:
When? They're out of stock :(
Like a minute before I posted...I musta gotten the last one. Sorry, if its worth anything their ground shipping was 7.28 total was 61.23 and with the busy holiday weekend I wont be getting it nor the Lian-Li VA1100 Plus II I ordered today at newegg till next week.

I'm inclined to vote for the 9500, but this past Saturday I installed a 9700 along with a new Opty 185.

As far as i know the best aircooler at the moment is the Noctua NH-U12F , i dont have one yet but what i have read in reviews the best cooler outthere . The only thing is i dont like the color of the fan . :D

I've never used a tower like the scythe. I've used Zalman and Thernmalright and will never use thermaltake products ever again so I'm biased on those.

I personally would take A thermalright 128 and put MY own fan on it, It's not tall and you can put a fan pushing or pulling air. It cools tremendously well too.

Tuniq Tower>Scythe Infinity>Thermalright SI-128=Thermalright Ultra-120>Scythe Ninja. That's basically how it stands right now.

I read one review that showed the Big Typhoon VX within 1-2 degrees depending on idle/load with the Titan Amanda!!

I know Thermaltake has a reputation for = teh suk, but I wonder if the Big Typhoon VX shouldn't be considered one of the best.

I'm going to be buying a Tuniq Tower 120 once they come back in stock at Newegg. It is the only piece of hardware that I will not have when I build my computer here shortly.

dedwards said:
Silentpcreview is a good resource for this also.

In their test, the Infinity lost out to the Ninja and the Ultra-120.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/section11.html

DE
They aren't a very good source for heatsink reviews. They focus more on the silent aspect of heatsinks, so with ones like the Infinity and SI-128 which perform best with higher-flow fans, the reviews are skewed toward the heatsinks that work best with low-flow fans, such as the Scythe Ninja(due to its widely-spaced fins).

jebo_4jc said:
Good review at madshrimps that includes a lot of the heatsinks we've talked about, including the Tuniq Tower, Scythe Mine and Ninja, an AC Freezer, HR-01, XP-120, and Zalman 9500.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=11&artpage=1823&articID=419

The Tuniq comes out on top of the pile
I like MadShrimps' reviews, but this one doesn't include the Thermalright SI-128, Thermalright Ultra-120, or Scythe Infinity, which are pretty much the best heatsinks out there right now aside from the Tuniq Tower.

its all a matter of opinion but here is my two cents.

Noctua NH-U12F, Scythe Infinity, Tuniq Tower - all great, i prefer the Noctua and Tuniq. Scyhte mounting issues can be a pain.

TR Ultra-120, TR SI-128, Scythe Ninja, TT Big Typhoon - next, TR being the better ones

another cooler to consider is the Apack Zerotherm BTF90. i would put it with the second group.

si0dine said:
The only real competitor to the Tuniq Tower is probably the Infinity (which has mounting issues).

What's a matter? Not a fan of the whole bending of the board? :p

Does anyone know if the Tuniq or a Zalman 9700 will work on a 680i board, while inside a velocity micro case ? I ask only cause I dont think the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 will handle a Oc'd 6600 @ 3.6 - 3.8.

just get external settop box watercooling. corsair thermal koolance. etc etc. etc.

Darkatom said:
Does anyone know if the Tuniq or a Zalman 9700 will work on a 680i board, while inside a velocity micro case ? I ask only cause I dont think the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 will handle a Oc'd 6600 @ 3.6 - 3.8.
I know the 9700 will, I'm not sure about the Tuniq Tower but it probably would.

Zero82z said:
I know the 9700 will, I'm not sure about the Tuniq Tower but it probably would.

Thanks for the reply! I'm currently leaning towards the zalman 9700 as i've heard some people stating that the Tuniq Tower places too much strain on the motherboard. can anyone confirm this?

I'd add the Titan Amanda...it's a TEC and requires a PCI slot though. It's also one of the largest coolers I've ever seen...

Darkatom said:
Thanks for the reply! I'm currently leaning towards the zalman 9700 as i've heard some people stating that the Tuniq Tower places too much strain on the motherboard. can anyone confirm this?
If you want a lighter heatsink, I suggest the Thermalright SI-128. The CNPS-9500 wasn't a particularly well-performing heatsink for its price, and I doubt the 9700 is that much of an improvement. The SI-128 is one of the best heatsinks out there, and it's made mostly of aluminum so it's much lighter than a lot of other heatsinks.

Zero82z said:
If you want a lighter heatsink, I suggest the Thermalright SI-128. The CNPS-9500 wasn't a particularly well-performing heatsink for its price, and I doubt the 9700 is that much of an improvement. The SI-128 is one of the best heatsinks out there, and it's made mostly of aluminum so it's much lighter than a lot of other heatsinks.

I just took a look at the Scythe Infinity that got the most voted here and I must say that seems to be the winner so far. I like the fact that I dont have to remove the motherboard out of the case with the Scythe Infinity with its brackets that just pop in to the motherboard. Some reviews favor it as a great heatsink thats great for overclocking. Can someone else confrim the way that it mounts.

Back