GeForce 8800GTS Overclocks... What are you getting?

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
I havent play around too much with it... But I overclocked my XFX 8800GTS to 570 Core 820 (1640) memory... What are you all getting?

I want to max it out, so I just want to compare...

Whenever I select the "Find Optimal Frequencies" or whatever, my computer locks...

600/880 is the highest my GTS is completely stable - that is - absolutely no artifacting in ATITool's artifact tester.

I can clock it up to 630/960 and not see any artifacting in games or 3DMark but the ATITool artifact tester goes nuts with the yellow dots.

And the lockups with nTune and 'Find optimal frequency' is a bug with either nTune or the drivers and happens to most everyone. Hopefully new drivers or new nTune will fix it.

are you happy with 600/880? To me that seems low from what others are getting. I am afraid to spend the money on a GTS and get a low clocker for the price payed. The sweet spot seems to be 625/1000.

Wondering, what fan speed did you have your card set at when the artifacts appeared in ATItool? What version of ATItool were you running? How long till the artifacts appeared and at what temp? Thanks.

hey guys,

here is a modded bios that was posted from a user at xtremesystems.org. Slightly higher than stock clocks if you can't be arsed to overclock through software. Apparently works well.

http://www.iamxtreme.net/video/gts.rom

anyone care to try it? I believe stock clocks are 570/800 or somewhere in that area. Nothing too extreme.

cantankerous said:
are you happy with 600/880? To me that seems low from what others are getting. I am afraid to spend the money on a GTS and get a low clocker for the price payed. The sweet spot seems to be 625/1000.

Wondering, what fan speed did you have your card set at when the artifacts appeared in ATItool? What version of ATItool were you running? How long till the artifacts appeared and at what temp? Thanks.

See I don't think that's what most people are getting. I think most of the people claiming these 625/1000 speeds havent used an artifact tester such as ATITool's and just rely on visible artifact checking in 3DMark or their favorite games. I guess it's fine if all you are worried about is spotting artifacts in games and spoiling your eye candy but I'd prefer my card be totally stable at a given speed.

I am using the latest pre-beta version of ATITool, I think it's 0.25b16. How long until the artifacts appeared is reliant on what core/memory speed I'm running the card at. For instance if I run the memory at 1000mhz (2ghz DDR) I get a nice chunk of yellow dots in a particular area of the fuzzy cube in the artifact tester. At 900mhz I get 2 or 3 artifacts after about 30 seconds of running the tester. At 880mhz it will run for hours without an artifact.

The core doesn't seem to exhibit traditional artifacting when overclocked beyond it's capacity, rather it causes a lockup or really long freezes.

cantankerous said:
hey guys,

here is a modded bios that was posted from a user at xtremesystems.org. Slightly higher than stock clocks if you can't be arsed to overclock through software. Apparently works well.

http://www.iamxtreme.net/video/gts.rom

anyone care to try it? I believe stock clocks are 570/800 or somewhere in that area. Nothing too extreme.

Stock clocks for the GTS is 513/792.. or were you referring to the clocks in that modded BIOS?

I was referring to the stock clocks of the modded bios, sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

I totally see where you are coming from as well Blue Falcon. I too am a 100% stability over performance guy as well. I don't have a GTS or any 8800 for that matter so you are right I have no experience myself and perhaps you are right, others aren't testing enough to see if their card truly is stable/clean running at higher clocks. I am just collecting info on what to expect if I did decide to get a GTS. Still on the fence on purchasing it or not.

It is nice to know you have a 100% stable card. It means no risk of crashes, especially since the card is due to run hotter when the summer months come around.

BTW, latest is 0.25beta 16 Pre release 8. Is that what you are using?

cantankerous said:
I was referring to the stock clocks of the modded bios, sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

I totally see where you are coming from as well Blue Falcon. I too am a 100% stability over performance guy as well. I don't have a GTS or any 8800 for that matter so you are right I have no experience myself and perhaps you are right, others aren't testing enough to see if their card truly is stable/clean running at higher clocks. I am just collecting info on what to expect if I did decide to get a GTS. Still on the fence on purchasing it or not.

It is nice to know you have a 100% stable card. It means no risk of crashes, especially since the card is due to run hotter when the summer months come around.

BTW, latest is 0.25beta 16 Pre release 8. Is that what you are using?

Yup, that's the version I'm using.

Dude, you should totally grab one... even at stock clocks the GTS is a killer card. If I could have afforded the GTX I would have certainly grabbed one but the GTS is a nice compromise. :)

Trust me I do want one, however I have been an ATI guy for years, the last Nvidia card I had was my Ti4200. I have always preferred ATI's IQ, especially on 2D/desktop usage. From the benches I have seen a GTS isn't that much faster than an overclocked X1900XTX which is what I am using now especially in FEAR which is what I play a lot of.
System is as in sig, updating now.

I don't dare try to OC my 8800gts until I can get a mounting kit for the mcw60. On air it idles at 67*C and goes up to 85*C Load!!!! And that's at Stock speeds! In winter!

cantankerous said:
Trust me I do want one, however I have been an ATI guy for years, the last Nvidia card I had was my Ti4200. I have always preferred ATI's IQ, especially on 2D/desktop usage. From the benches I have seen a GTS isn't that much faster than an overclocked X1900XTX which is what I am using now especially in FEAR which is what I play a lot of.
System is as in sig, updating now.

Oh, it's much faster, even without benchmarks. You can tell from the specs itself how much raw power this card has even thought it's only a GTS, not GTX version.

I'm running at 600/900 and it is rock solid. I think I could go farther but haven't tried it. It kicks ass in all my games at 1680x1050 so whats the need? :D

Blue Falcon said:
See I don't think that's what most people are getting. I think most of the people claiming these 625/1000 speeds havent used an artifact tester such as ATITool's and just rely on visible artifact checking in 3DMark or their favorite games. I guess it's fine if all you are worried about is spotting artifacts in games and spoiling your eye candy but I'd prefer my card be totally stable at a given speed.

I am using the latest pre-beta version of ATITool, I think it's 0.25b16. How long until the artifacts appeared is reliant on what core/memory speed I'm running the card at. For instance if I run the memory at 1000mhz (2ghz DDR) I get a nice chunk of yellow dots in a particular area of the fuzzy cube in the artifact tester. At 900mhz I get 2 or 3 artifacts after about 30 seconds of running the tester. At 880mhz it will run for hours without an artifact.

The core doesn't seem to exhibit traditional artifacting when overclocked beyond it's capacity, rather it causes a lockup or really long freezes.

I don't have 8800GTS. I'm running at 7900GS and I get difference situation with ATI tools.
When I'm running at 580/1420Mhz after 1min I get yellow dots. When I reduse core clock to 560 artefacting disappears and I can run test for hours. It seems that memory doesn't have a big role...

Matas said:
It seems that memory doesn't have a big role...

What do you mean? In terms of overclocking? That depends on the upper limits of your core and memory, which could be different for everyone.

600/850 here is the highest I have been able to run stable so far, can bench at 620/900, but thats just benching

650/950 Over night ATI tool stable.

Alot of people seem to be bashing the GTS overclocks, saying its not stable, or ati tool wont run long without errors.

ummmm..... k.....

650900overnightatimn8.jpg

625/1000 here (eVGA 8800GTS), solid as a rock.

About 60C idle and 80ish full load with 65F ambient. This is with auto-fan control. With it wide open at 100% duty 55-57 idle and right at 80 full load.

SoniCraze said:

Alot of people seem to be bashing the GTS overclocks, saying its not stable, or ati tool wont run long without errors.

ummmm..... k.....

Whether or not it runs stably depends on every user's card and their machine, and their air flow, and other factors...so I would take all of the comments in the context of their users.

Cyrilix said:
What do you mean? In terms of overclocking? That depends on the upper limits of your core and memory, which could be different for everyone.

Nope, I mean that: at 560/1430Mhz many games crashes but ATI tool tester runs without errors. So it seems that ATI tools isn't great for testing memory. But Blue Falcon has different situation...

I'm sitting at 625/950
just ran the artifact tester for 15 mins and didnt see any. I can OC a bit higher but this seems like a good place to stop.

Not sure how your guys temps are so low.
mine idles between 61c and 66c and goes up to 85-88 using the artifact tester.

As was suggested in another thread; I removed the back plating of the slot below my graphics card and this helped temps 2-3c. After feeling the air during the stress testing I could probably cook a egg on my sound card with all the really hot air blowing down on it.

Matas said:
Nope, I mean that: at 560/1430Mhz many games crashes but ATI tool tester runs without errors. So it seems that ATI tools isn't great for testing memory. But Blue Falcon has different situation...

hmmm, your GTS can only get to 560/1430 without games crashing?

cantankerous said:
oops ok, should have figured so since stock 8800 is 800/1600 mem not 14xx.

Actually, that's 513/1600 stock on a GTS. My PNY runs at 635/1800 for my day to day use but can pull 655/1860 without artifacting. Temps are screaming though.

How you guys are keeping your overclocks after reboot. Because when i set the clock in the nTUNE after reboot it went back to default.

How to keep the overclock?

I am using the classic CP with the 97.02 driver and the clocks are sticking fine after reboot.

RAutrey said:
I am using the classic CP with the 97.02 driver and the clocks are sticking fine after reboot.

dont you lose the new AA options if you use the older CP? I heard you do and they only show up if using the new control panel with ntune.

cantankerous said:
dont you lose the new AA options if you use the older CP? I heard you do and they only show up if using the new control panel with ntune.

This is true. You do loose the the new settings. However you can install ntune and use it for image quality settings then use the classic CP for the clock freqs, ect.

annaconda said:
Alright can some one can explain in simple steps, please.

What do you want to know? How to enable the old CP? If so, go here. If you need access to the higher AA setings, install ntune before you enable the old CP so you can use them both.

SoniCraze said:

ummmm..... k.....

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/8034/650900overnightatimn8.jpg

Before you make smartass remarks about what other people are saying, perhaps you should figure out what the hell you're doing. Your screenshot shows an nTune window saying 650/950, while a memory clock of 450mhz shows in ATITool, so something is clearly screwed up with your own testing methodology. Oh and the core speed is showing differently too...

Blue Falcon said:
Before you make smartass remarks about what other people are saying, perhaps you should figure out what the hell you're doing. Your screenshot shows an nTune window saying 650/950, while a memory clock of 450mhz shows in ATITool, so something is clearly screwed up with your own testing methodology.

Its ati tool's problem.

Yeah ati tool shows 1/4 of what it's effective clock is and it says 475 for current memory clock... so thats 950... or 1900 effective.

ShinaKitsune said:
Yeah ati tool shows 1/4 of what it's effective clock is and it says 475 for current memory clock... so thats 950... or 1900 effective.

Only happens with older versions of ATITool, which use a less stringent artifact checking routine anyway. 0.25pre16 correctly displays the G80 core/memory clock information.

was using 0.25 beta 10, got a link to the newer one?

nm, found it, shows proper clocks now... 20min in, ill post ss after hour.

Much better, even the temperatures look about right now. In your other screenshot it was showing like 72C or something. I WISH I could get my 8800 to run at 72C under load, lol.

I retract my doubt and offer my congratulations...

I bet these babies would really benefit from some third party cooling....

Back