P5LD2-VM Rev2.0 (lots of 800X600 BIOS pics)

Dgephri

Limp Gawd
Due to several PMs wondering what settings I have used, I took some BIOS shots a couple weeks ago, and decided I better follow up on some more recent PMs.

Those with the "SE" version of the board might have different behavior, I have the Rev2.0 that I received in RMA from Asus thinking the motherboard was responsible for the faulty behavior of my 7950GX2. It was not. But I got a C2Duo mobo in return. Yeah for me!

Details of my setup:
C2Duo E6400
4X512Meg Corsair PC5400 at 1.9V 4-4-4-12 675MHz
2X250Gig WD Sata300 16Meg Caviar
Plextor 716SA DVD +/- RW
XFX 8800GTX
Ultra X2 550Watt SLI Flexforce cables

So:

Nothing surprising here, just showing current BIOS, CPU speed, and total RAM
BIOS1.jpg

Here are the settings that I ended up with on the CPU. That is the max RAM voltage (sucky, I know, but my Corsair RAM is fine at 1.9V), max Chipset voltage, CPU core at 1.4375.
BIOS2.jpg

BIOS3.jpg

BIOS4.jpg

BIOS5.jpg

BIOS6.jpg

BIOS7.jpg

That gets us to 2.823MHz on the CPU, and 1413 on the FSB, I had to run a lower divider on my RAM to get this stable.
BIOS8.jpg

Some individual settings that worked for...not sure which might have affect, but the Speedstep works fine for me, lowering my CPU to 28C at idle.
BIOS9.jpg

I haven't really gone into dropping my RAM much, as it's already close to it's limits, and I can't add any more voltage. I might have one or two notches here, but I saw very little change in SuperPi 1M or any other Bench so I stopped tweaking.
BIOS10.jpg

Here I chose to eliminate the startup for the onboard GPU. Windows still sees it, and the "off" selection is an error, and does nothing, even according to Asus tech support (5 calls).
BIOS11.jpg

BIOS12.jpg

I just used the lowest setting and Fixed RAM, since Windows still allocates system memory to this stupid onboard video. I then had to leave Device Manager in "Disabled" mode since uninstalling it doesn't stick.
BIOS13.jpg

BIOS14.jpg

This is before I put my XFi in, but you can see, I don't use the IDE controller at all, so I turn it off, and could probably turn off the Parallel port too, since my printer is USB.
BIOS15.jpg

BIOS16.jpg

In my experience, most Asus boards have this ACPI 2.0 thing: if you don't start at Windows install with it Enabled, not change after that ever matters unless you reformat and reinstall just for that change. If you don't have it "On" now, you would need to format/reinstall for it to have any effect.
BIOS17.jpg

BIOS18.jpg

The hardware monitor screen. You can see my CPU at 41C, but the Speedstep works to drop the temp to 28C at idle according to Speedfan. The QFan control is ONLY good on the CPU, which is disappointing, and I had to use my Matrix Orbital for fan control instead of more lighting.
BIOS19.jpg

Lastly, I turn the IDE timeout to Zero since I'm not using IDEs and don't want to wait for them on startup.
BIOS20.jpg

Overall results:
Clocked from 2.13 to 2.823 = 32.5% increase in CPU speed watercooled with a TDX 3/8" tubing, 2X120mm BIP II radiator, DDC 12V pump
SuperPi 1M at just under 21S = 21.903s
With the 8800GTX stock clocks on Air cooling (waterblock not avail yet) I get 10,400 in 3dMark06.
500Gb total storage.

I have tested over 14 hours on OrthosPrime with these settings (before the 8800GTX) and had no stability questions or BSODs in memory. I restart every 5-7 days just to see if long term, overnight on-time would affect it, and I haven't seen any change in behavior.

Hope it helps. I can test an individual setting if you ask, but I have really been pleased with the stability and performance of my $250 CPU.

Is that the highest FSB you can get or will it go higher?

So this clocks higher than the 965 board?

very gratefull for your all yours shots!
Damn impressive how high your MB can sustain those high fsb (watercooled of course)
I will try your settings

Any higher, and it fails to post, if I up the PCIe anymore (even without the FSB change) it fails to post, if I put my 675 RAM up to the next divider, it fails to post.

I would imagine, if you had some 800FSB RAM that could run at 1.9V stable, you could go higher, as long as the PCIe bus float didn't garble your GPU.

120 on the PCIe made me nervous, but it has been stable so far, even going from the 7950GX2 to the 8800GTX.

I think ATi GPUs weren't keen on unlocked PCI-Es... Still I have had problems sometimes with the DS3 coldbooting at 353 - so that's not bad! I may switch to this as an interim board, even though I swore I would not do that, just so I can close my case when I move.

I bought some DDR800 RAM when everyone was jumping on PC5400 and prices were cheap ($160 AMIR!). Probably the only smart thing I have done in awhile...

Weird!
Same results: impossible to boot at 290 fsb!
I will try with my other MB (P5LD2 VM DH/C rev 2.0) with 2 sticks of corsair PC5400C4: it has the same bios options as the p5ld2 VM rev2.0 (but i experienced the same wall at 289)

I seem to remember something like that myself.

Try jumping to 305 or something at 116 PCIe and see what happens,

What voltage is your CPU at so far?

What is your cooling like? How many fans, MB temps, etc.

with the x6800 i can set ratio downward to exclude cpu limitation!
What is very strange is that the system boot at@289 fsb & is totally stable but @290 no way!
will try your suggestion! Thxs
Edit: by the way I mounted a northbridge cooler Zalman NB47F
and all my temp are low(cpu=30-35°C, MB=35°C)

Dgephri:
Fantastic: it works: I set ratio to 10x, enable fsb 305 and set pcie @116: the system now can boot...
Thxs a lot for this trick
will test further...

excellent! try adding some CPU voltage at the next stall, see if that helps against the next roadblock.

Back