FX5200 in 1680x1050 reso

Dominat0r

2[H]4U
Hey guy...my little nephew got a new monitor for his Bday. Its a Samsung 22", kinda like my 19 but just bigger.

First thing i noticed on it is that his reso will not go any higher then 1280x1024. I have installed the lastest drivers, the monitor shows up as the correct model and make.

The slider will just not go any higher then 1280x1024. Am i missing something? Is it the fx5200 is not able to go any higher in reso?

I have tried everything i could think of. Im considering trying VGA cable instead...just need to find where he put the cable itself =) You think that will help?

Thanks for any help and i hope everyone had a good thanksgiving.

The fx 5200 will go to 2048 x 1536. The slider for display settings on windows will go that high on mine. Perhaps you can try to change the resolution using the Nvida control panel on the taskbar it seem to work better then the windows one.

Uninstall the old driver and try and find the monitor driver (usually little more then just a color profile, but it doesnt hurt to try)

... btw, I rofl'ed when I read FX5200 + 1680x1050...... I had a FX5200 (worst video card EVER) it barealy ran old games at 800x600. So good luck if he plans to do anything other then windows..... no seriously, it was the WORST video card ever made.

The fx5200 MAX res is 2048 x 1536 but that is using VGA
With DVI you are limited to 1280x1024 max
So you have to use VGA
:eek:

teh leetness for 2D :D

thecake90 said:
The fx5200 MAX res is 2048 x 1536 but that is using VGA
With DVI you are limited to 1280x1024 max
So you have to use VGA
:eek:

not correct in either case, switch dvi and vga, plus you can go higher than 12x10

so wait, VGA does go higher or not?

Im confused now...I will try that then and see if that works. I was going to try driver cleaner and a uninstall before that. Then try with the Nvidia panel.

I know its driving him nuts not to have his 22inch in native res. Since im the family geek..it comes down to me. Funny thing is i didnt even build his machine. I have no idea on his whole system which could be a factor. I dont think its anything but the video card..

Please give your little nephew a new videocard now that he has such a nice monitor.

Else he will hate PC gaming forever. :)

he might be able to get a new card later, but for now he needs to use what he has. I tried to see if i can get something for him, but his mom is complaining when i buy him stuff. So im going to try to get it working and get him something for christmas.

Ya im excited to have a little geek in the making. He is 15 now...does really good in school, but the folks wont let him get a job yet. I just feel bad for him cause they dont understand how great it is that he is soo excited about computers now.

I actually got it to work with the VGA cable. Whoever said that was completely correct. I installed the newer drivers (didnt do the latest, cause they suck..i used 91.31), with a Driver clean before hand. I booted up and noticed the windows control panel was only showing standard sizes, like 1280x1024-1600x1200-2048x1056. The nvidia control panel showed the correct size though. Was able to show the highest as the native 1680x1055. Thanks for the info though guys...really helped me troubleshoot.

He is still running Guild Wars in 1280x1024. I told him if he can play at that setting and enjoy it, leave it that way. Its not in native, but it does look nice. Im prob going to get him a 6600gt or 7600gt (do they make the 7600gt in agp?)

Highlife said:
Ya im excited to have a little geek in the making. He is 15 now...does really good in school, but the folks wont let him get a job yet. I just feel bad for him cause they dont understand how great it is that he is soo excited about computers now.

I actually got it to work with the VGA cable. Whoever said that was completely correct. I installed the newer drivers (didnt do the latest, cause they suck..i used 91.31), with a Driver clean before hand. I booted up and noticed the windows control panel was only showing standard sizes, like 1280x1024-1600x1200-2048x1056. The nvidia control panel showed the correct size though. Was able to show the highest as the native 1680x1055. Thanks for the info though guys...really helped me troubleshoot.

He is still running Guild Wars in 1280x1024. I told him if he can play at that setting and enjoy it, leave it that way. Its not in native, but it does look nice. Im prob going to get him a 6600gt or 7600gt (do they make the 7600gt in agp?)

Well they do from what i hear but are super rare. I would imagine the 7600 gs would pretty much take care of his concerns, if you dont want to spend too much money it would imo be a good upgrade. The bfg version is fairly lowprice, and shouldnt cost more than the 5200 did back in the day :p

Back