Corsair 6400C4D Promos - What we do, how we do it, and our offer

Redbeard

Official Corsair Rep.
Thank you for your interest in the exchange program. It is now over, as of December 31st, 2006. Anybody who emailed me before then is still included.

Thanks for the info Redbeard, but I guess this leaves those of us with regular 6400C4's out in the cold? My XMS2 6400C4's have ZERO headroom on them, none, zero, zilch. They won't take 2.2v, they won't even take 815mhz without going unstable on me. 1T is totally out of the question, no matter what my timings are. If I bump it to 1T, it won't even boot windows, even at the regular SPD 5-5-5-18.

Is it possible I got a bad kit, or is this to be expected of the Promos IC's used on the 6400C4's?

Like I've said many times before, I am generally a die hard Corsair guy. My last five machines have used Corsair memory....but the total lack of headroom with these modules has me seriously considering a switch. I'm not angry, not trying to flame...just trying to see if I have any recourse other than going with a different vendor.

Very nice of you guys at corsair to do this. I currently have an RMA number from new egg for the return. I have a question though. What is the price of the 8500 models? I dont want to waste time if the price isnt right.

If you do not want to post this price, how long do you think it would take me to find out going through with this RMA through corsair. I do not want my RMA from newegg to lapse waiting on the price of this ram. If its more than a couple fo days i might just continue my Newegg RMA.

Thanks

can i run these 8500C5Ds at 2.1v?? most places are showing them requiring 2.2v, and my mobo is limited to a max of 2.1 :(

I somewhat disagree on the fact that enthusiasts do not buy based on spec of IC. When I was researching memory for my purchase, I did quite a bit of checking on IC's before making my purchase to ensure that I got Micron based memory. Look at the C2D signatures that these forum members have. I am pretty sure that when they were planning their builds, they were making sure that their memory had Micron IC's under the hood. Promos is not normally considered to be a company that caters to the enthusiast community. I dealt with this same thing back in the PC3200 days with the XMS-C2 modules. Switching from Winbond in 1.x to Samsung in 4.x, and than to Mosel Vitelic in the 5.x series of C2.

Every company will say that they don't make their memory for overclocking, but when you pay $300+ for memory, you expect it to be built with highest binned IC's, and unfortunately, Promos and Mosel leave a sour taste in my mouth. You should also know that when I bought the 6400C4D modules, 3 of them were DOA from the factory. I've never had that problem with Micron.

I believe that I sent them back via the RMA department that I work in. I purchased the memory from the company that I work for, and my job is to test what comes back defective. Kind of like a catch 22, testing stuff before I buy it. :p

well.. i think i'm going to send this ram back. Very disappointed, even though Redbeard has offered to let us switch up to the 8500C5Ds, we will have to pay the difference.

From a legal stand-point I understand where Corsair is comming from, but as an enthusist community (even on they're forums), the 6400C4Ds are often talked about and referred to for OC ram.

I do not want to spend even more money, I would rather return the ram and get a product from another provider..most likely it'll be TeamGroup.

I would like to thank you for extending that offer Redbeard, but I cant justify paying even more, unless it's a really good deal. My 6400C4Ds are packed in the box and most likely will go back to UPS tomarrow.

I know this is more of a rant, but it's also my opinion and feelings on the situation. I'm sure many others out there feel the same way as me.

caysi0207 said:
well.. i think i'm going to send this ram back. Very disappointed, even though Redbeard has offered to let us switch up to the 8500C5Ds, we will have to pay the difference.

hmm.. paying the difference?

My 6400C4D is running at 441mhz at 2.1v with timings of 4:3:3:8:2T

882mhz at 4:3:3:8 or 1066mhz at 5:5:5:15? Which is better? Is it worth another $100 (guessing here)?

stain. said:
hmm.. paying the difference?

yes, read Redbeard's post.. "Corsair will replace your 6400C4Ds with 8500C5Ds, which are Micron based, for the difference in price. "

Calefaction said:
Thanks for the info Redbeard, but I guess this leaves those of us with regular 6400C4's out in the cold? My XMS2 6400C4's have ZERO headroom on them, none, zero, zilch. They won't take 2.2v, they won't even take 815mhz without going unstable on me. 1T is totally out of the question, no matter what my timings are. If I bump it to 1T, it won't even boot windows, even at the regular SPD 5-5-5-18.

Is it possible I got a bad kit, or is this to be expected of the Promos IC's used on the 6400C4's?

Like I've said many times before, I am generally a die hard Corsair guy. My last five machines have used Corsair memory....but the total lack of headroom with these modules has me seriously considering a switch. I'm not angry, not trying to flame...just trying to see if I have any recourse other than going with a different vendor.
While I understand you might be upset about the lack of headroom BUT. Corsair, although an enthusiast ram company, makes NO claims whatsoever that you'd be able to go any bit above the spec that it was rated at, and does it not run at the rated spec? If it does, then there is nothing really wrong with the ram you purchased. It's like when I bought a celeron 2.0 northwood back in the day and being disappointed it only hit 2.7 when 90% of the guys out there were seeing 3.0-3.3 easy. Or when I shelled out big bucks on a sl6rz 2.4 northwood, which was the first multiple vid and practically everyone with the right country build were seeing 3.4-3.8 without any bit of sweat, and mine (the right plant and everything!!) wouldn't exceed 2.7. Sure, in my examples, I've established a greater % overclock than you are with your ram, but there is no guarantee in overclocking at all!! Hell, you look at the d9gmh IC's and they're only rated to what? 667 or something? Sorry I didn't feel like referencing the chart at the moment, but you get the idea. And hell, you paid hell for the nonD :p so sure it could be understandable to speedbin even further to that.

I can understand your being upset that your ram doesn't overclock. I too have been shortchanged what I should have gotten so many times in overclocking, based on statistics of like models, but that's not the fault of the company. It wasn't that I didn't get something that didn't perform at what it was supposed to.

So all in all, let me say that I have never had the privilege of owning any corsair products to date (but do hope to in the future), and am not trying to "!!!!!!" for them. However, their reputation is well established, and it is already a massively great gesture (not to mention totally unorthodox) that they are doing for us. Let's try not being the needy snobby americans that our generation has become.

ziddey said:
While I understand you might be upset about the lack of headroom BUT. Corsair, although an enthusiast ram company, makes NO claims whatsoever that you'd be able to go any bit above the spec that it was rated at, and does it not run at the rated spec? If it does, then there is nothing really wrong with the ram you purchased. It's like when I bought a celeron 2.0 northwood back in the day and being disappointed it only hit 2.7 when 90% of the guys out there were seeing 3.0-3.3 easy. Or when I shelled out big bucks on a sl6rz 2.4 northwood, which was the first multiple vid and practically everyone with the right country build were seeing 3.4-3.8 without any bit of sweat, and mine (the right plant and everything!!) wouldn't exceed 2.7. Sure, in my examples, I've established a greater % overclock than you are with your ram, but there is no guarantee in overclocking at all!! Hell, you look at the d9gmh IC's and they're only rated to what? 667 or something? Sorry I didn't feel like referencing the chart at the moment, but you get the idea. And hell, you paid hell for the nonD :p so sure it could be understandable to speedbin even further to that.

I can understand your being upset that your ram doesn't overclock. I too have been shortchanged what I should have gotten so many times in overclocking, based on statistics of like models, but that's not the fault of the company. It wasn't that I didn't get something that didn't perform at what it was supposed to.

So all in all, let me say that I have never had the privilege of owning any corsair products to date (but do hope to in the future), and am not trying to "!!!!!!" for them. However, their reputation is well established, and it is already a massively great gesture (not to mention totally unorthodox) that they are doing for us. Let's try not being the needy snobby americans that our generation has become.

Alot of what you said is true, and I can agree with it to some degree. I'm not upset totally upset at the fact that I don't have the headroom that I was expecting with this ram. It's more or less, I paid a higher price for this ram, in which I could have just bought the lower end for a good chunk of change less. The other part is that they led us to believe they were D9's, even though they never stated they were going to permanently be microns(yes, yes, I know ram makers have tendancies to change ICs used). On they're forums they released a fact/inquiry sheet with a ram modules, the 6400c4's werent on there listed as promo's a couple days ago. This is from what I've read at they're forums and over on oc'ers forums.

All in all, they never said these modules would stay in production with micron ICs, but they never came out to say "hey guys, we're currently using microns, but we just changed them to promos." Meanwhile, majority of people on the forums are still under the assumption that they are micron ICs.

I dunno, I'm not mad, I'm more or less disappointed that a reputable company such as Corsair would do this (i'm not saying they did it deliberately). Although, as a consumer who works hard for his money, I was hoping to pay a little more so I can get that extra headroom. Not the same performance I would in regular sticks with a fancy heatsink put on them.

Again, I applaud Corsairs for stepping up and trying to help out the community by giving us the offer to change up to higher specced ram modules. Although, in my own mind, I cant justify paying $75-100 (just a guess) more on top of what I've already paid.

In the end, I feel it was the fault of both the consumer (myself) and partial of the supplier (corsair). In large corporations, sometimes things like this don't get conveyed down to the PR's, much like it happens with my corp (more often than I'd like), and it's really a problem with the companies today. A lot of things are on a need to know basis, and when people start needing to know, some damage has already been done. As for myself, I should not have expected so much from these, but from reading so many different reviews and people on the forum, could you honestly blame me (or anyone) for the way we thought these pieces of ram would perform?

ps.. one last thing. I haven't totally given up on Corsair in general. Just on this ram. I'm actually concidering getting their Corsair HX620 power supply.. most likely I'll order it tomarrow. (and Corsair, you better not switch up the PSU on me too!! or I'll be reallllLLLlLLlly MAD! LOL).

ziddey said:

I'm not upset, I'm disappointed. I understand that yes, it runs at it's rated settings (somewhat, it's still somewhat unstable even then)...but if I had wanted RAM that simply ran at it's stock settings, I wouldn't have paid a premium for Corsair. So in that respect, yes, you are 100% correct, Corsair has no obligation to make me happy, as their memory is running at the advertised settings...

That said, I am going to be taking this RAM back to the vendor I bought it from for a full refund. I have ordered a set of Team Xtreem RAM. I love Corsair products, but I really feel they have lost a step on their DDR2 offerings, specially the non-Dominator stuff. My last set of XMS series memory (the DDR for my Opty 165) was awsome memory. The XMS I had before that was awsome memory. Both had decent headroom, could at least take 1T without destabalizing and allowed me to at least moderatley OC. Remember, I am not taking this RAM back because it can't give me a 4ghz OC or anything...I am taking it back because it has NO headroom at all, none. The fact that it can't even boot fully in to Windows in 1T is telling to me.

Anyways, I am not upset, and I am not being snobby. I am just disappointed that my prefered RAM brand simply isn't going to cut it with this machine. If Corsair would let me exchange my XMS 6400C for 8500C5D for the price difference, I would stick with them...but I doubt that's going to happen.

caysi0207 said:
ps.. one last thing. I haven't totally given up on Corsair in general. Just on this ram. I'm actually concidering getting their Corsair HX620 power supply.. most likely I'll order it tomarrow. (and Corsair, you better not switch up the PSU on me too!! or I'll be reallllLLLlLLlly MAD! LOL).

We've stopped actually making the power supply, and in each box, instead of a power supply, you get four delicious granny smith apples. While some may complain about the apples, rest assured they are delicious and fresh. :)

Just kidding. Also, you have nothing to lose by sending in your receipt to me. I'll take a look at it and let you know the price difference to upgrade. There's absolutely no obligation. The price difference might be less than you think.

Redbeard said:
We've stopped actually making the power supply, and in each box, instead of a power supply, you get four delicious granny smith apples. While some may complain about the apples, rest assured they are delicious and fresh. :)

Just kidding. Also, you have nothing to lose by sending in your receipt to me. I'll take a look at it and let you know the price difference to upgrade. There's absolutely no obligation. The price difference might be less than you think.

LOL.. I'll be looking forward to the apples :D whats that old saying? an apple a day keeps the mac guys at bay? :p

Redbeard said:

Hi Mike,

Can you give us a rough estimate on when you will be able to get back to us with the approximate cost to upgrade to the D8500 modules? I only have about five days left to return my sticks back to Ncix, so I would like to know how much it is going to run a guy for the exchange. I sent you through a copy of my receipt yesterday AM. My sticks ran me $727 plus taxes, shipping, and insurance. Hopefully the exchange won't cost us too much, as I already had a hard time coming up with the funds for the original purchase.

Many thanks,
Jason

loafer87gt said:
Hi Mike,

Can you give us a rough estimate on when you will be able to get back to us with the approximate cost to upgrade to the D8500 modules? I only have about five days left to return my sticks back to Ncix, so I would like to know how much it is going to run a guy for the exchange. I sent you through a copy of my receipt yesterday AM. My sticks ran me $727 plus taxes, shipping, and insurance. Hopefully the exchange won't cost us too much, as I already had a hard time coming up with the funds for the original purchase.

Many thanks,
Jason
Canadian $$$s, not US.

Loafer, Redbeard/AKA George is handling all of that now. He'll be with you ASAP.

Hey Redbeard/Mike,

Can either of you confirm that Redbeard received my receipt? I sent him a JPG scan of it, I just want to make sure it got there. If you got it and are just doing your work, that's fine, I just want to make sure it arrived :) It hasn't bounced on me yet, so I am assuming it has, but I am paranoid about that kind of stuff :p

loafer87gt said:
Hi Mike,

Many thanks,
Jason
:eek: hope he's talkin 4GB

Mike Clements said:
Canadian $$$s, not US.

Loafer, Redbeard/AKA George is handling all of that now. He'll be with you ASAP.

Thanks Mike. Keep getting all you bearded guys mixed up. :p

Calefaction said:
Hey Redbeard/Mike,

Can either of you confirm that Redbeard received my receipt? I sent him a JPG scan of it, I just want to make sure it got there. If you got it and are just doing your work, that's fine, I just want to make sure it arrived :) It hasn't bounced on me yet, so I am assuming it has, but I am paranoid about that kind of stuff :p

I got it, you should get your email shortly.

Redbeard said:
I got it, you should get your email shortly.

Thank you sir. As soon as I get a cheap set of DDR2 to tide me over while I wait for my C5D's, I will ship out my modules. I don't suppose there is anyway for me to pay for them up front and have them cross-shipped eh? :p No biggy if not, I will just pick up some shite RAM from some place I can return it for 30 days.

I believe it does.. it's in your inbox :D

*edit*

misspelled the addy, resent it just now.

Got my reply , shippin out my 6400's tomorow ! Can I send out money order with balance?( sent email asking same question ) Excelent customer service, like there reading our minds.....hmmm? :rolleyes:

p-n-p said:
Got my reply , shippin out my 6400's tomorow ! Can I send out money order with balance?( sent email asking same question ) Excelent customer service, like there reading our minds.....hmmm? :rolleyes:

Kind of wish they would offer us a cross-ship option so my machine doesn't sit without memory, and so I don't have to go buy toss away memory just to use my box :p But hey, beggers can't be choosers. Getting the C5D's for a small upgrade price will make it worth it in the end.

p-n-p said:

The preferred method is to get the modules and then call you to charge a credit card before we ship the replacement. We do not normally accept money orders or checks.

If you absolutely cannot do the credit card method I can inquire further, but it will most likely delay the shipping considerably as we have to take 7-10 days to process the checks or money orders.

With a credit card we can usually turn it around within a day or so.

Got your email guys - thanks for the generous offer. Do you folks have a preffered method of shipping for us to send you our old modules? Should we add insurance coverage with whoever we use?

E-mail sent! It should be from a 'RIT student' with a pdf of the invoice. I applaud this move as I bought this ram based on newegg reviews stating it has d9 IC's... I was actually about to RMA it tonight and hit up that Crucial Ballistix deal on the egg as well... until I saw this! thanks again.

I am amazed at the lengths Corsair will go to,to keep the community happy.This is why I have continued to support this company with my business over the years. :cool:

p-n-p said:
WE ARE :eek:

JK, it's just that the obvious thing to do here was also the right think to do! Thank you all for giving us a chance here.

I have a pair of 6400c4d that I bought over 2 weeks ago, but I already sent in the rebate, how would that work now? It was part of the 680i deal on newegg. I still have my invoice, would I still be able to swap it for the 8500?

Back