Windows Vista Hibernate Problem!!

Hi,

On Vista build 6000 Ultimate, I used the disk clean up wizard to clear out some space on my 30gig partition (somehow Vista reported only 3gig left (after only 2 weeks of use), and would not burn a data DVD because it had run out of space

I ticked the box to remove the hibernation sys file, thinking I could simply re-enable hibernation once I had burned the DVD, deleted the temporary files and now have 6gig of space again, but after a reboot, I am unable to find an option to re-instate hibernation.

I have looked in power options and even followed the excellent help,but there is no where to Endable/Disable Hibernation. There is of course the "Turn Hibernation on or off" but when I select this, I get "Change settings for the plan ower Saver" and this only offers me sleep settings and there is no hibernation settings.

Please could anyone help?

Thanks

What "box" did you tick to remove the hibernation file? I don't know of any such box in Vista... sure would be nice to find it though since with 2GB of RAM I don't need a 2GB file I'll never use just sitting there wasting space.

EDIT:

My mistake, I'd never run the Disk Cleanup wizard before... that's very interesting why they chose to bury the "Off" switch in such a thing. I have all the possible power settings related to hibernation turned "off" but even so, burying the actual way to disable and remove the hiberfil.sys file... that's just crazy.

image08.png

I tried also in WindowsKey+R (run) to write powercfg -H ON

and it isn't working... in this build

C:\Users\Boštjan>powercfg -H ON
You do not have permission to enable or disable the Hibernate feature.

You have to go into each of the individual settings and set anything that mentions hibernation to "off;" that's the only way I was able to finally get rid of the hibernation file. There is no one click solution, it takes a few different settings it seems.

you don't understand. i want to go to hibernate!! not to deactivate it at all. i exedently turn it off!

And now I want to re-activate it! How can I do this! That is the ting I want to know.

Step by step how can I re-enable / re-activate / turn on hibernate.

thanks

p.s

sorry for may bad english

Why do you want to hibernate? Hibernation is a hard poweroff power state primarily put in for machines that don't support S1/S3 power states properly. So why not suspend the machine (just enable S3 in the BIOS under power mgmt.) rather than Hibernate?

Hibernation merely writes the contents of memory to a file (usually 1:1 the amount of RAM) where as S3 will trickle supply enough power for your RAM to remain in the state you had it in before you suspended. Unless you have an ancient machine that has horrible support, why waste the disk space on a hibernation file?

BrOKeN_SoU&#321 said:
you don't understand. i want to go to hibernate!! not to deactivate it at all. i exedently turn it off!

And now I want to re-activate it! How can I do this! That is the ting I want to know.

Step by step how can I re-enable / re-activate / turn on hibernate.

thanks

p.s

sorry for may bad english

Oh, ok, I misunderstood. :)

Go into the Power settings as I explained above and change all the hibernation settings to "on" - that should enable hibernation and recreate the hiberfil.sys file.

He could be using a laptop without a battery, or a battery that's unreliable, or as you said a machine that's simply not functioning properly for the S3 states required for hibernation. Who knows, it's not a concern. I'm just trying to figure out what needs and provide a specific answer to that question, whatever it is. :)

I want to hibernate because,i leave my work open and, when i go to sleep my, battery is discharging. And I can't leave it around for 12 hours....

In the power setings, I cant nowher find a hibernate state, i can finde sleep, shout down and do nothing.... i can finde it in advance plan setings, and nowhere.... whit the comand powercfg -H ON , I could re-activate hibernation. but, i dont have the permisions. I alsou gon tu the security and set all the users to Full control, but it isnt working i cant change the setting.

What can I do? to gain access to the seting???

probably hibernation doesn't work yet because the video card drivers don't support it yet. if not the VC, i probably something else :)

Hebernation has worked for my computer soofare!! But affter I have runed DiscClean, and chekd the box Hibernation ...., and I deleted thet. Then hibernation wasen't working anymore!!

How can I fix the problemm?

Or can you tell me the diferences of Vistas Hibernation and Sleep....

How many battery is using notebook when in hibernation and how meny when he is in sleap?

P.s I have a HP notebook whit 6-cell battery whit anatomy about 3,5 hours.

OK I will ask this way!

How can I Turn ON hibernation in vista after deleting "hiberfil.sys" ??

This will not work:

1. turning hibernation in power seting on. (becouse, the hibernation options dont show the hibernation choise anymore)
2. turning hibernation in CMD whit the command powercfg -H ON
(
C:\Users\Boštjan>powercfg -H ON
You do not have permission to enable or disable the Hibernate feature.
)
But This could work if i can get the permission, If enyone knows how.

Fof the reccord: I don't want to turn off the hibernation!!! I want to Turn it back On.

But dont know how.

Note: I have not tried Vista build 6000, but this worked in pre-RC1 through RC2.

type CMD in the search box of the Start Menu. DON"T HIT ENTER.

An result should pop up in the list above the bar with CMD.exe in it. Right click it and select "Run as Administrator". A dialog should pop up asking if you're aware that something is trying to gain access blah blah blah, allow it. You should then have the needed privilidges.

Glad it worked for you, had I known it was a lap top I wouldn't have suggested avoiding Hibernation. :)

For the CMD shortcut, what I've done is drag a link to my quick lauch bar that way I can just right click "Run as Administrator" for that CMD session.

Back