SMP FAH on VMware

You get latest client on this? Releases 2 days ago I think.

VJ ever get back to you?

Careful with this, the powers that be are planning on playing points games near as I can tell.

marty9876 said:
You get latest client on this? Releases 2 days ago I think.

VJ ever get back to you?

Careful with this, the powers that be are planning on playing points games near as I can tell.

Well, it sure wouldn't be the first time that's happened, probabaly not the last. As I have said so many times there is no parity at all in the point system.

Case in point, why should a p2126 be worth 373.00 points and take 65 hours when a p2413 that is worth 600 points is 40 hours max.

My contention is if VJ and crew actually had to pay for our resources there might be a bit more thought put in when they value the work units.

We can only assume that the bigger units have more scientific value then the smaller ones, but again, that is an asumption. :(

We will just have to wait it out and see what happens.

It's a VMware machine. Download VMware server (it's free), install, and open this VM. Boot it, and you too can try the SMP client, even if you don't want to install Linux on your machine.

Of course, they've released a new version of the client. That'll teach me to release things :rolleyes:

unhappy_mage said:
It's a VMware machine. Download VMware server (it's free), install, and open this VM. Boot it, and you too can try the SMP client, even if you don't want to install Linux on your machine.

Of course, they've released a new version of the client. That'll teach me to release things :rolleyes:

Wouldn't your windows have to be 64 bit or will VM emulate that as well?

If you have 32-bit windows on a 64-bit chip it'll still work, as I understand :D

BillR said:
Wouldn't your windows have to be 64 bit or will VM emulate that as well?

no.

The real trick here is it's the only way to run SMP and GP on same platform. The points deal is Stanford may weight bonuses on speed of WU return and not assign the clients whom don't return WU's in time <something> (bonus SMP WU's/SMP WU's at all?). Availability/bonus based on speed of WU return. Not know if this will be implementedm, ususal wishy washy over at FCF.

edit: RAM usage on the rise since this dump-

Numbers: P4 D 3.0 // ATI x1950 Pro

Note: VM machine using ~ 165 meg RAM total (config'd for 256 machine total VM)

Native x64 non VM: 11:10/frame (756 PPD)

2k3 x64-

SMP VM only: 15:26 (547 PPD)
SMP VM + GPU: SMP (17:30) [483 PPD] GPU (13:30) [352 PPD] -- 835 PPD total

XP:

Native GPU- 8:00 (594 PPD)
SMP VM: 15:36 (541 PPD)

SMP VM + GPU= SMP (16:03) [526 PPD] GPU (12:30) [380 PPD] -- 906 PPD

Of note: hit on VM clients, no hit on host OS being x32 thou.

Ok. I had downloaded vmware, and the torrent. Did what the howto says. First off, VMware says my Pentium D 830 is not 64 bit. I made sure it was on in the BIOS. Now it seems to just freeze my pc. Any questions or clarifications?

Edit: figured out what you wanted from unzipping the folder. trying again.

Next edit: got it to start, still says the processor isn't 64 bit. Used their processor detection utility and it says its not, used Intel's and it says it does. :confused:

I think I found the answer. Even if it is a 64 bit processor, it does not support VT. I am interested how marty got his 830 to run this.

Aha, glad you figured it out. I was about to admit defeat. :p Anyone had any luck running this?

Between the duties SWMBO has lined out for me today, this is MY project for the day !

I have no experience with virtual machines, so I'm learning as I go.... & will let you know

RPhArrow --\\\---------------------->

I got the same results as ICE_9 on my 945 cpu.... :(

just got done checking intel site --- tthe 945 cpu is not VT capable either...

What CPU's are you guys running- per CPU-Z. Post screen shots.

Here's mine:

cpuz945.bmp

Let me just say right up front that I know nothing about VM Server.

With that being said, I noticed that ICE_9 is running XP Home. Could that have anything to do with the failure?

Nope, it's probably got to do with the lack of VT on those chips.

RPhArrow: Can you check your BIOS settings for a "Intel VT technology" enable/disable toggle? I did a little digging and found that bit of wisdom...

The 945 should not have VT, only the 9X0 chips have VT, the 9X5 chips do not have it, that was one of the things they left off allowing them to keep the chips cheaper.

unhappy_mage said:
RPhArrow, the 945 should have VT. What have you tried with it so far? Does VMware install and run?

VMware installs, runs, then when I select the VM to turn on it tries to boot Fedora Core then stops with "your CPU does not support long mode, use a 32bit distribution"

thereafter, VMware declares the "host not capable of 64 bit operation" (that's a paraphrase)

I checked Intel's website... comparing cpu's it show's no VT for the 945 (maybe that's why it is cheaper :(

RPhArrow

unhappy_mage said:

RPhArrow: Can you check your BIOS settings for a "Intel VT technology" enable/disable toggle? I did a little digging and found that bit of wisdom...

motherboard is a MSI P4N SLI (msi-7158) bios version 3.2 (from MSI liveupdate... I didn't restart the box to look at boot screens)

RPhArrow

unhappy_mage said:

motherboard is a MSI P4N SLI (msi-7158) bios version 3.2 (from MSI liveupdate... I didn't restart the box to look at boot screens)

No bios setting found to enable/disable VT

RPhArrow

unhappy_mage said:
Oops, my bad. The 945 isn't a member of the 9x0 series. :eek:

Nope, MY bad .... I sort of recall thinking about the 945 when I bought it "so what would I ever need VT for?" . It seems to me that whatever corner I decide to cut when buying tech always bites me later. Plus WinXP has really killed my upgrade paths with their OEM license that effectively ties the OS to a single motherboard. I plan on ditching Vista & going to Ubuntu or such. Grr....

Huh, well not that this counts but I don't think it's lack of VT holding things up. Maybe..I never really read much about VT (good/bad). But yea, mines got it.

Slow SMP + Slow GPU = not bad PPD for considering what the box is.

smpgpu2jt3.jpg

LOL

Kinda turned the thing into a whore folder.

rammx6.jpg

Let me try this on a Core Duo notebook... back in a sec.

marty9876 said:
Huh, well not that this counts but I don't think it's lack of VT holding things up. Maybe..I never really read much about VT (good/bad). But yea, mines got it.

Slow SMP + Slow GPU = not bad PPD for considering what the box is.

Shit... something is wrong here.... something you did in installing/starting VMware allowed you to run your 830, but ICE_9 and I were both unsuccessfull with similar setups....

Since Intel lists the same capabilities for your cpu as the ones ICE_9 and I are trying to run, the problem must lie in the way we are setting up the VM ... and I have a feeling that it's something simple but non-obvious.

Marty, do you happen to have another computer to try replicating the steps with ? (Oh yes , I always keep an extra BMW in my driveway too ! )

:p

RPhArrow said:
Shit... something is wrong here.... something you did in installing/starting VMware allowed you to run your 830, but ICE_9 and I were both unsuccessfull with similar setups....

Since Intel lists the same capabilities for your cpu as the ones ICE_9 and I are trying to run, the problem must lie in the way we are setting up the VM ... and I have a feeling that it's something simple but non-obvious.

Marty, do you happen to have another computer to try replicating the steps with ? (Oh yes , I always keep an extra BMW in my driveway too ! )

:p
-
smpgpu2jt3.jpg

He's running a 930. It is qualified as VT capable. Looking at those CPUs on the Intel site right now as well as some vPro info.

edit: Here is a link to all the VT capable processors Intel makes, excluding Xeons and Itaniums (if you can buy one of these, you have 2+ in your driveway :D )

http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu...878543,873036,873040&familyID=1&culture=en-US

Here is the Xeon ones with VT:
http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu...885514,885516,885515&familyID=5&culture=en-US

Lemme go find a post on this crap

edit: I think the below is kinda outdated

uncle-fugus said:
From the official VMware server documentation:
http://pubs.vmware.com/server1/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

Hardware Requirements for 64-bit Guest Operating Systems
VMware Server supports virtual machines with 64-bit guest operating systems only on host machines that have one of the following 64-bit processors.
AMD Athlon 64, revision D or later
AMD Opteron, revision E or later
AMD Turion 64, revision E or later
AMD Sempron, 64-bit-capable revision D or later (experimental support)
Intel EM64T VT-capable processors (experimental support)
VMware Server performs an internal check. If the host CPU is not a supported 64-bit processor, VMware Server displays an error message that indicates the hardware on your host machine is incompatible with 64-bit guest operating systems. You can, however, continue to power on the virtual machine.

Maybe it's the VM itself. If you can guys create and install a 64-bit anything and see if it goes on a VM.

Fedora x64 worked for me. Paipix (sp?) was a Live DVD mage had spinning on my box.

Migration to a Different Processor
VMware recommends you do not migrate a Linux virtual machine between hosts when one host is running on an AMD processor and the other is running on an Intel processor.
During installation, many distributions of Linux choose a kernel that is optimized for the specific processor on which it is being installed, and some distributions install a generic kernel by default, but provide architecture-specific kernels that the user can choose to install. The kernel might contain instructions that are available only on that processor. These instructions can have adverse effects when run on a host with the wrong type of processor.
Thus, a Linux virtual machine created on a host with an AMD processor might not work if migrated to a host with an Intel processor. The reverse is also true: a Linux virtual machine created on a host with an Intel processor might not work if migrated to a host with an AMD processor.
This problem is not specific to virtual machines and also occurs on physical computers. For example, if you move a hard drive with a Linux installation from an AMD machine to an Intel machine, you are also likely to experience problems trying to boot from that drive.

I'm going to try this on a older Xeon I have and see

I'm outta brain cells tonight.... will review & try anything appropriate tomorrow :p

Arrow ---___ \\\\-------\/

ND40oz said:
Merom is complete plug and play for yonah if you don't mind swapping chips on a notebook. That'll get you 64 bit.

yea, thinking about it. Wonder how much real world difference between the two there would be. Spendy little buggers.

MAGE: VM be broke. Won't light on a 2.66 Pentium D either (same MB as 930 box). Would also not go on my GSX VM box, no surprise there I guess as said invalid virtual machine. It should go on the Celery system (albit one core) but says the same old not a x64 os crap.

Ummmm, which machine was this VM created on to begin with?

Back