let's keep it simple. Zalman 9700 or Tuniq 120?

Which Air cooling for E6600 Asus P5W DH rig for best ON AIR OC's

• Total voters
my 9500 AM2 keeps my chip nice and cool, and the 9700 looks to just be bigger. I voted for it :p

No experience with the 9700, so my vote for Tuniq doesn't count too much, other than I have it and it beats the intel stock and scythe infinity I had before it. From the reviews/test I have seen, the Tuniq has the advantage, albeit a sleight one at times.

EDIT: this thread belongs in cooling forum.

canislupy said:
No experience with the 9700, so my vote for Tuniq doesn't count too much, other than I have it and it beats the intel stock and scythe infinity I had before it. From the reviews/test I have seen, the Tuniq has the advantage, albeit a sleight one at times.

EDIT: this thread belongs in cooling forum.
Mods, please move this to the OC/Cooling forum. I coulda sworn I started it in that thread to begin with.

I think the Zalman's are overrated....I don't find them quiet at all.

I should go for the Tuniq and find yourself a real quiet 12 cm fan which you can easely attach to this kind cooling sys. with some electric wire.

My friend did it with some elastics.....stup.....the snaped after a while :p

Oeps the ventilator=inside the Tunic :rolleyes: ...well....Tunic defenately!

Tuniq Tower - 120 wont let you down, but the chances of you finding one is low....

my vote also goes for the tuniq, just ordered one, the reviews seem pretty positive for both, you really can't go wrong, I have a zalman right now and I don't regret it at all, but I am getting a new system and want to try something new.

The Tuniq is quite a bit better, if you can find one then definitely grab it over the 9700.

Assuming we are talking about maximum cooling for maximum overclocking and that mobo and case isnt a fit issue then I'd say the Tuniq 120. The 9700 would be a good alternative though I'm thinking if you couldnt fit the Tuniq for some reason.

I have 4 tuniqs in my possession right now (3 in processed builds), as well as a Zalman 9700 (actually I sold it on friday to a customer who really dug the copper finnage, matched his P5B-Deluxe)

I won't be offering the Zalman to my customers (unless specifically asked for) as they're more "annoying" at their highest cooling position.

The Tuniq is quieter, and cools better with a 3$ Yate loon fan from jab-tech than the 9700... And therefore I use it as my highest end aircooling solution.

I have the 9500 AM2, and, even though my fx-62 resides at around 22 degree's most of the time @ idle @ stock speeds, I cannot feel the fan on this cooler moving ANY air.. I can see the fan spinning, but I put my hand everywhere around the heatsink, and I feel absolutely nothing.

I'm wondering if the 110mm fan on the 9700 is any better..

22 idle? Wow, what's your room temp like :S.

And yeah, not really all that much airflow from the 9500 at least. At full speed (and noise) the 9700 really moves some air.

Arcygenical said:
22 idle? Wow, what's your room temp like :S.

And yeah, not really all that much airflow from the 9500 at least. At full speed (and noise) the 9700 really moves some air.

Not really sure what my room temp is. Usually I have my window open 24/7... Mainly cause I love cold air. But.. even at lans my temps are like that.. I would assume that room temperature is much higher then 22 degrees... So... wtf... ? I have had similar readings with my old 3700+ 939, obviously on a different motherboard, and with a Scythe Ninja heatsink..

Skott said:
Here's a comparion review of the 9700 vs some other HSF

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/zalman-scythe.html

I find it interesting that the "Big Typhoon" which isnt really talked about much, did the best out of them all..

But really, it was a few degree's in all cases for all heatsinks.. I would say use any of them and you'd be fine, unless you need MAXIMUM overclock or cooling..

Back