Someone tell me I am wrong?

reno55

n00b
I just installed a dlink dlg-4300 gigabit router/switch. Both my machines on boot up notify me of 1.0gbps connection but transferring a large file between the two I am seeing about 6.14MB/sec. This isnt true gigabit speed right?

reno55 said:
I just installed a dlink dlg-4300 gigabit router/switch. Both my machines on boot up notify me of 1.0gbps connection but transferring a large file between the two I am seeing about 6.14MB/sec. This isnt true gigabit speed right?

Gigabit / 8 = 125MByte/sec MAX theoretical transfer rate. Reality is that it's a good bit less than that due to overhead. So count on a good 90-100MBytes/sec max.

However the transfer speed is limited by the hard drives. Today's typical HD's have 60-70 MB/s transfer rate (sustained, not burst). But, if you're using a older HD, or have a lot of HD accesses during the network transfer, you'll see a good bit slower speed.

If they're fairly modern (last couple years), then make sure that one of your hard drives isn't in PIO mode

^^ great post, should be added to a sticky somewhere, this kind of question gets asked way to much

Thanks Ryan a little more info. I have 2 machines on the network running gigabit nic cards both built into the mother board. One machine is not running a gigabit nic card and my voip adapter which is not also. Should I try unplugging those that are not Gigabit to see if that effects the speeds? I do have all 5e cable and set jumbo frames on the 2 with gigabit adapters to on although the jumbo frame options are not both the same numbers. Any other ideas?

Ok new update I tryed disconnecting all machines (devices) that did NOT have gigabit ethernet adapters on them and that did not fix the problem. I am beginning to think it is the nforce4 adapter on the mb itself. It doesnt give an option to manually set 1000 instead only auto gigabit which it does report back it is sensing 1.0gbps. Any ideas?

i have had problems with this too. i bought a gigabit ethernet card and hooked it up to my frinds pc(he had a gig card too) didnt get any better that 7-9mB/s. so i took it back.
i was able to bump my 100mbit card up to 9-10mB/s by setting: optimize for to throughput and got a decent bump in speed, but at the cost of major cpu usage ^^

has anyone tried benchmarking this kind of thing with raid-0 ?

reno55 said:
I do have all 5e cable and set jumbo frames on the 2 with gigabit adapters to on although the jumbo frame options are not both the same numbers.

AFAIK, the DGL-4300 doesn't support jumbo frames. Mine certainly doesn't. I'd be surprised if you got anything through at all with jumbo frames enabled on both sides.

Perhaps you have a new HW revision which has added support for jumbo frames? You can confirm jumbo frame support as follows:

ping 192.168.0.1 -l 6000 -f

Where the IP is that of the router, and the -l parameter is somewhat less than maximum jumbo frame size. If the ping is successful, please also let us know the HW revision of your router. Otherwise, you should disable jumbo frames on all NICs connected to your router.

The next step IMO would be separating the network and the hard drive performance. For the network try something like iperf. E.g.

server: iperf -s
client: iperf -c server -l 64K -t 12 -i 3 -r

This tests 64K transfers for 12 seconds, reporting every 3 seconds, also in the reverse direction.

For file transfers, try factoring out the receiving drive as follows:

copy path\file.ext nul

Run this locally to test local read performance.
Run this across the network to test network read performance (adjusting the path of course)

You can time this, or use PerfMon or Task Manager (for network accesses) to observe the transfer rate.

I've measured up to around 950 Mb/s using iperf through my DGL-4300, and > 100 MB/s (> 800 Mb/s) actual file transfer through it via FTP, though around 85 MB/s using Windows file transfer (I've done this up to around 94 MB/s, but not in this recent instance testing the D-Link router.)

Here is my iperf result:

Client connecting to 192.168.0.140, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 8.00 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[1876] local 192.168.0.103 port 3037 connected with 192.168.0.140 port 5001
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[1876] 0.0- 3.0 sec 276 MBytes 773 Mbits/sec
[1876] 3.0- 6.0 sec 309 MBytes 863 Mbits/sec
[1876] 6.0- 9.0 sec 306 MBytes 856 Mbits/sec
[1876] 9.0-12.0 sec 312 MBytes 871 Mbits/sec
[1876] 0.0-12.0 sec 1.17 GBytes 840 Mbits/sec
[1952] local 192.168.0.103 port 5001 connected with 192.168.0.140 port 64842
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[1952] 0.0- 3.0 sec 189 MBytes 527 Mbits/sec
[1952] 3.0- 6.0 sec 189 MBytes 527 Mbits/sec
[1952] 6.0- 9.0 sec 189 MBytes 528 Mbits/sec
[1952] 0.0-12.0 sec 754 MBytes 527 Mbits/sec

That looks good right? Could it be cause I am sending to an external usb drive?

reno55 said:
...snip...

That looks good right? Could it be cause I am sending to an external usb drive?

uh why didn't you mention that before? USB storage devices tend to get max transfer rates around 10-15MBytes/sec.

The DGL-4300 is hardware capable of Jumbo Frames, but for whatever reason DLink has decided not to implement the feature in firmware.

-Larry

Madwand said:
AFAIK, the DGL-4300 doesn't support jumbo frames. Mine certainly doesn't. I'd be surprised if you got anything through at all with jumbo frames enabled on both sides.

Perhaps you have a new HW revision which has added support for jumbo frames? You can confirm jumbo frame support as follows:

ping 192.168.0.1 -l 6000 -f

Where the IP is that of the router, and the -l parameter is somewhat less than maximum jumbo frame size. If the ping is successful, please also let us know the HW revision of your router. Otherwise, you should disable jumbo frames on all NICs connected to your router.

The next step IMO would be separating the network and the hard drive performance. For the network try something like iperf. E.g.

server: iperf -s
client: iperf -c server -l 64K -t 12 -i 3 -r

This tests 64K transfers for 12 seconds, reporting every 3 seconds, also in the reverse direction.

For file transfers, try factoring out the receiving drive as follows:

copy path\file.ext nul

Run this locally to test local read performance.
Run this across the network to test network read performance (adjusting the path of course)

You can time this, or use PerfMon or Task Manager (for network accesses) to observe the transfer rate.

I've measured up to around 950 Mb/s using iperf through my DGL-4300, and > 100 MB/s (> 800 Mb/s) actual file transfer through it via FTP, though around 85 MB/s using Windows file transfer (I've done this up to around 94 MB/s, but not in this recent instance testing the D-Link router.)

I am currently trying to decide between the DGL-4300 and the Zyxel Zywall 2 Plus, so I like reading these threads. Good info guys!

My main concern is that the router can handle the wan-lan thru-put I need with my 25mbit cable connection, and I may go to 30 or 50mbit FIOS next year.

-Larry

reno55 said:
Ok new update I tryed disconnecting all machines (devices) that did NOT have gigabit ethernet adapters on them and that did not fix the problem. I am beginning to think it is the nforce4 adapter on the mb itself. It doesnt give an option to manually set 1000 instead only auto gigabit which it does report back it is sensing 1.0gbps. Any ideas?

I'm not certain on this for all systems, but I know all of the Dell desktop and laptop PCs (Optiplex GX620 & 745, Latitude D610 & D620) running XP Pro SP2 and also IBM/HP servers running Server 2003 at work that have 1Gb NICs don't offer a speed of anything higher then 100MB Full Duplex in the speed section under the NIC properties, setting the NICs to auto gets you 1000mb full duplex.

Odd but maybe it's fixed in Longhorn/Vista.

edicted said:
I'm not certain on this for all systems, but I know all of the Dell desktop and laptop PCs (Optiplex GX620 & 745, Latitude D610 & D620) running XP Pro SP2 and also IBM/HP servers running Server 2003 at work that have 1Gb NICs don't offer a speed of anything higher then 100MB Full Duplex in the speed section under the NIC properties, setting the NICs to auto gets you 1000mb full duplex.

Odd but maybe it's fixed in Longhorn/Vista.

AFAIK, auto-negotiation is a mandatory part of the GbE standard, and there are sometimes issues when you try to force one side, so it's better in general to stick with auto-negotiation wherever possible, which is why other options sometimes don't appear.

Of course, when things go really wrong, you might like to have a force option, but in these cases here, there's no indication that things are going really wrong at the network level.

Back