Price gouging for the x1950 pro AGP!! ROFL!!

$900 on that.... oooooooor buy a e6300, $100 range 965 chipset, and have some room for a nice PCI-e GPU.

I don't get the adherence to AGP.... although i doubt anyone is willing to pay so much for AGP.

but wait, theres more... if you order now well throw in the heatsink and fan ABSOLUTLEY FREE!!!

A heatsink, for only 900 dollars? OMG, I'm on it L33T :eek:
And after I'm done with the 1950pro, I'm buying a 5950Ultra for 1200 cheap dollars! It's an Ultra, I mean... it's an Ultra. It can't get any better! :D

I'm almost afraid to ask how badly a AGP-board-based CPU would bottleneck an X1950Pro.

alan.p said:
I'm almost afraid to ask how badly a AGP-board-based CPU would bottleneck an X1950Pro.
Depends on the CPU. Many of them are in fact fast enough that they wouldn't bottleneck the card.

Even if this drops down to 8800GTS prices, it's still a huge ripoff... Would be cheaper to upgrade to a conroe PCIe setup.

Thats thier way of saying "If you out-of-date AGP trolls want a 1950pro, your gonna have to moisten our peckers".

alan.p said:

There are AGP based boards that can run a FX-60, think that'd be enough for that X1950?

dej166 said:
but wait, theres more... if you order now well throw in the heatsink and fan ABSOLUTLEY FREE!!!

I think it should come with a free computer as well.

My buddy just bought an x1950 pro visiontek, he said that its faster than his brothers pci-e x1950, agp scored 85K on aquamark,. pci-e scored a 83K

agp pentium4 3.4ghz hyperthread

PCI-E amd dual core 3400

im sure it would be different with a core2 duo, but that really impressed me enough to wait for saphire's version.

alan.p said:

Compared to its Nvidia counterpart, not much.

ATi Drivers are neat that way.
ATi cards depend less on CPUs in comparison to nvidia cards.

Z28SHAKER said:
My buddy just bought an x1950 pro visiontek, he said that its faster than his brothers pci-e x1950, agp scored 85K on aquamark,. pci-e scored a 83K

agp pentium4 3.4ghz hyperthread

PCI-E amd dual core 3400

im sure it would be different with a core2 duo, but that really impressed me enough to wait for saphire's version.

WTF?! AMD Dual core 3400?
3400?!
Do you mean an AMD Dual core OC'ed to 3.4GHz, because
I don't think there is a 3400+ that is a dualcore, unless I have mistaken...

alan.p said:

There are AGP varients for pretty much every socket....

I doubt even my Opteron would bottleneck it.

GPUCommando said:
$900 on that.... oooooooor buy a e6300, $100 range 965 chipset, and have some room for a nice PCI-e GPU.

I don't get the adherence to AGP.... although i doubt anyone is willing to pay so much for AGP.

Gonna start cutting people's heads off if they keep saying this.

New processor ($200+), new board (a lot more than 50 bucks if you expect to have a decent time overclocking, so say $100-150), and new memory unless you have DDR2 already($150-300). Altogether around $400-600, a lot more. You lose.

Aelfgeft said:

New processor ($200+), new board (a lot more than 50 bucks if you expect to have a decent time overclocking, so say $100-150), and new memory unless you have DDR2 already($150-300). Altogether around $400-600, a lot more. You lose.

Agreed.

If you want a real horrible PCIE setup that overclocks horribly with sub par parts (motherboard and ram) then go for the full upgrade route.

My situation (being in Canada and also a student with limited budget), I would much rather get the benefits of upgrading to a card that will last me awhile until I can afford a decent CPU/motherboard/ram/video card combo. An e6600/evga 680i/2gb of <insert ram here>ram will cost $1,000+ before 14% taxes. A video card such as the x1950pro will only cost $300 and let me run any games I want at 1280x1024.

i hope you guys do realize that bytewize is a canadian store, thus rip-off prices are a common occurency, and that they are the largest ripper-offers in canada (other than Best Buy and Futureshop).

thats actually a low price for them

Aelfgeft said:

Okay, well I STATED a $200 processor (a Conroe, which isn't exactly bad, comparatively) AND I said a $100-150 965 chipset mobo as well (cause those Gigabyte DS3 boards really suck and aren't popular :rolleyes: ) , BUT OH WAIT - I did forget to add 1 gig of standard DDR2 for around $100-120 paired with a 7950gt 512mb or so...... and you have a decent PC.

That all considering you have a compliant PSU, case etc.... for what like $850?

Can't OC high enough with those parts?

Okay.

I know socket 754 is great and all, but really - Conroe is no lie, and I would take an e6300 in a heartbeat, sorry.

GPUCommando said:
I know socket 754 is great and all, but really - Conroe is no lie, and I would take an e6300 in a heartbeat, sorry.

The arguement is that many people who are buying this card do not have the money to go that route. If you have a S754 A64 then your performance is fine anyway, there really is not that much of a need. The options are a $200 video card or a $1000 system upgrade. What is so hard to understand?

SharpieFiend said:
The arguement is that many people who are buying this card do not have the money to go that route. If you have a S754 A64 then your performance is fine anyway, there really is not that much of a need. The options are a $200 video card or a $1000 system upgrade. What is so hard to understand?

I was arguing against paying the evidenced $900 for an AGP card (read the first post). That is all... and I got reemed for suggesting anything against buying an overpriced AGP card.

NOW, we all know the actual card will not be that much once it hits retail, but the particular card listed is sold out @ $900 and that is absurd.

Any more explanation?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GPUCommando said:
I was arguing against paying the evidenced $900 for an AGP card (read the first post). That is all... and I got reemed for suggesting anything against buying an overpriced AGP card.

NOW, we all know the actual card will not be that much once it hits retail, but the particular card listed is sold out @ $900 and that is absurd.

Any more explanation?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The card is available and has been for a while now....its $299.00 at Best buy....

LOOKY HERE

Crosshairs said:
The card is available and has been for a while now....its $299.00 at Best buy....

LOOKY HERE

That's great. I just said that retail availability would NEGATE A WHOLE NEW PC PURCHASE as the card will become affordable UNLIKE THE OP'S ORIGINAL LINK.

God damn... seriously, I quit.

Now if this card was truly 900 it would be a no brainer to upgrade to C2D and PCIE.

hainer36 said:
i hope you guys do realize that bytewize is a canadian store, thus rip-off prices are a common occurency, and that they are the largest ripper-offers in canada (other than Best Buy and Futureshop).

thats actually a low price for them
You've obviously never been to MicroBytes.

GPUCommando said:
Okay, well I STATED a $200 processor (a Conroe, which isn't exactly bad, comparatively) AND I said a $100-150 965 chipset mobo as well (cause those Gigabyte DS3 boards really suck and aren't popular :rolleyes: ) , BUT OH WAIT - I did forget to add 1 gig of standard DDR2 for around $100-120 paired with a 7950gt 512mb or so...... and you have a decent PC.

That all considering you have a compliant PSU, case etc.... for what like $850?

Can't OC high enough with those parts?

Okay.

Why would I go from 2GB of perfectly good Corsair DDR memory to 1GB of god knows what DDR2 memory?

Plus, I don't know about others, but I'm running AGP on a s939 platform, with a lot of headroom for that CPU. The memory controller is even more reason not to upgrade so quickly when I benefit from it.

And we come back to the point...850 dollars versus 250. Wow, what could I be thinking? Time for me to :rolleyes:

You anti-AGP freaks are officially my new bitches.

You people are missing his point entirely, he said he could build a machine for the same price as the linked store was charging for the card. It has nothing to do with the actual retail value of the card.

You guys need to read before you get up in arms about someone insulting your precious platform. It was a slight against the store and their prices, not your AGP slot.

Jeez,

The "I'm happy with my AGP so fuck off or I'll eat your soul" trolls descend on someone again :eek:

The guy was making a joke about the X1950 in question being sold for ****$900 ******

At least read the first frigging post before you get all AGP- hoity-toity on someone for the 400th time today. YES WE ALL GET IT YOU LOVE YOUR AGP.

lithium726 said:
You people are missing his point entirely, he said he could build a machine for the same price as the linked store was charging for the card. It has nothing to do with the actual retail value of the card.

You guys need to read before you get up in arms about someone insulting your precious platform. It was a slight against the store and their prices, not your AGP slot.

First off, what is the point of making a comparison to an overpriced card when we KNOW it's horrendously overpriced, and we can get it elsewhere for far less? That's like saying "Don't buy that Ford Tempo because the seller wants $50,000 dollars for it! Buy a Porsche because the owner only wants $48,000, which is less!" See? Stupid.

And secondly, I'm addressing the apparent knee-jerk reaction that you can search through this entire forum and find in every AGP thread, the words "Or you could get a PCI-Express setup with..." for the 400th time. I think that's about as definitively trolling as you can get.

Aelfgeft said:
First off, what is the point of making a comparison to an overpriced card when we KNOW it's horrendously overpriced, and we can get it elsewhere for far less? That's like saying "Don't buy that Ford Tempo because the seller wants $50,000 dollars for it! Buy a Porsche because the owner only wants $48,000, which is less!" See? Stupid.
It was a fucking joke. Chill out. Everyone seems to know this isnt for real reals except you.

Thread about price gouging a card gets a response about how there is a much better value for your money out there. wow, call the police. Sounds like a standard response to me.

he said something about how with $900 you can get such and such. You responded with the fact that he was right, saying all the hardware added together was $400-600, without the video card. add $500-$300 for a video card and you would still come out on top in this situation.

its called context.

lithium726 said:
It was a fucking joke. Chill out. Everyone seems to know this isnt for real reals except you.

Thread about price gouging a card gets a response about how there is a much better value for your money out there. wow, call the police. Sounds like a standard response to me.

he said something about how with $900 you can get such and such. You responded with the fact that he was right, saying all the hardware added together was $400-600, without the video card. add $500-$300 for a video card and you would still come out on top in this situation.

its called context.

Then feel free to explain the context of him continuing to post his "joke" with continued aggression and frustration. As I said, same mindset, same idiocy, and still fucking pointless.

To clarify, this is a joke (or being "cute"):

markintosh13 said:
A $50 pci-e mobo and a $100 7600GT PCIE? ;)

This is being a trolling ass:

GPUCommando said:
I don't get the adherence to AGP

I have nothing against AGP, but when you can get the PCIe version of the same card AND a decent motherboard to use the rest of your old parts for less money than the AGP version, it makes sense for me to give up AGP and just make the move.

Case in point - $250-$299 X1950 AGP...PCIe version $199 + $60 PCIe s754/s939 motherboard that even OC'd decently.

Jesus Christ almighty. I give up. AGP works fine, and PCI-E is an expensive upgrade. Nuff said.

Aelfgeft said:
Jesus Christ almighty. I give up. AGP works fine, and PCI-E is an expensive upgrade. Nuff said.

I understand that, but I guess I'm wondering at what point do you personally say, enough AGP, it's time I move to PCIe?

I did it when I wanted to upgrade to a X850XT and they were $250. The PCIe version was $130. At that price, it made sense to move over.

kirbyrj said:
I understand that, but I guess I'm wondering at what point do you personally say, enough AGP, it's time I move to PCIe?

I did it when I wanted to upgrade to a X850XT and they were $250. The PCIe version was $130. At that price, it made sense to move over.

I'd say when memory prices fall back to normal, and above all, when they stop making AGP cards that have all the power of the PCI-E versions. Plus, a lot of us, whether we're in the s754 or s939 crowd, or even the SktA crowd, want to see how much we can pull out of the technology that has been superceded by new innovations. How long were some of us hanging onto our Voodoo cards and pointing out that Glide is, and by today's standards still is, a highly competitive rendering technology? How many here can soup up a 66 Mustang and make it easily beat out the ricers down at the track? I guess it comes down to a certain malaise of "newer doesn't mean all-around better"...and the pride felt when you produce the results. ;)

Back