Which one should i get? Sony 23in SDM-p234B or Benq 24inch FP241W

Kraylon

Limp Gawd
I'm a gamer. I am going to Vista... as some of you know (LOL WHEN NVIDIA releases the driver for my 8800 GTX) I already have a home theater so i don't need this for movies Anyways... i want clarity. Image qulity is important but so is response time since i am a gamer. I am looking for a good LCD that will play night vision maps for example BF2 Special Forces. I have a ViewSonic now and it sucks with the night vision maps... all the shades of black look the same (dark gray). I don't mess around with photo editing. so....

Which monitor should i get?

Oh come on guys... forgive me for the Nvidia posts and move on...

I really want your expert opinons here... which do you guys believe is the better display?

Seeing how the Benq is a crowd favorite for the 1080p fans here, I suggest it over the Sony.

Thanks for the link. I did see that, but wanted to be sure i was going the right direction for clairity because i noticed the sony has .258mm pixel pitch and the Benq has .27mm pixel pitch which is comon pp for both 23 and 24 inch monitors... I finally decided on the BQ because i don't think my eye is going to notice the difference between .27 and .25 at that high of a resolution... plus all ther reviews on Newegg say that the picture is sharp and one even says that the color reproduction is the best he has seen as a graphics artist.... so it will be here tommorrow. My friend who is a huge Sony fan is buying the Sony so we are planning to hook both monitors to my 8800GTX and do a review of both.

I hooked up my Sony 234b last night. Simply amazing! Colors are outstanding including the Darks after adjustment...Counter Strike in 1900x1200 Wide is Sick! No ghosting or input lag. Quality is top notch and I'm very happy. Get one while you can.

Kraylon and I will have them side by side (BenQ and Sony) with pictures to show all very soon.

JD03Cobra said:
I hooked up my Sony 234b last night. Simply amazing! Colors are outstanding including the Darks after adjustment...Counter Strike in 1900x1200 Wide is Sick! No ghosting or input lag. Quality is top notch and I'm very happy. Get one while you can.

Kraylon and I will have them side by side (BenQ and Sony) with pictures to show all very soon.

So where are those side by side pictures?

:)

the sony uses an older S-IPS panel so its not really a very good comparison so i'd choose the benq. MVA panels that benq uses are my 2nd favorite panel after IPS so its really not that bad and most likely worth the cost. One thing to note though is the FP241W's current firmware doesnt support 1:1 mapping. Benq said there will be a updated firmware soon though, sometime in january i think it was. The Benq also has HDMI which is a plus and the sony doesnt have HDCP if that matters much to you.

Im in the market for a LCD about this size, so reading your notes you would recommend this? No input lag or ghosting?

Sounds good, any bad points at all?

Ronin said:
So where are those side by side pictures?

:)

It's coming! Unfortunately we didn't get them together this weekend but we are planning next week. Stay tuned...

By the way I bought my 23" Sony strictly for PC GAMING and picture viewing. I have a 65" wide screen HDTV with HDMI etc...so all those things mean nothing to me. I did see the Gateway 24" and Apple 23" in person. I bought the Sony.

Height adjustment would be nice but I knew it wasn't an option at purchase. The quality of the monitor was important to me which is why I leaned towards the Sony. I'm not buying the old technology IPS panel stuff that some say. The proof is in the picture and it's crystal clear.

Played BF2 all weekend! Looks amazing! No input lag or ghosting.

...so where are the promised pictures? :rolleyes:

We spend too much time gaming instead of taking pictures :rolleyes: ...Sorry for the delay. We did line them up again this weekend and got a photo. Kraylon will have it posted later. I'll give my feedback when he posts...

No Flash:
H1.jpg

With Flash:
H2.jpg

A few more of my Sony that I had taken...I'll try to get more of the BenQ.

H3.jpg

H4.jpg

H5.jpg

H6-1.jpg

Here is my opinion...I have to tell you I am very impressed with both monitors. It was difficult to find a flaw in either one of them. I feel the Sony displayed more detail with better black/gray colors. For what ever reason the BenQ had a slight blue/purple tint that we couldn't remove. I felt the BenQ had better Reds where the color was deeper than my Sony. We both agreed that the Sony had a better viewing angle. The downfall to the Sony is that it doesn't have any height adjustment or HDMI, PIP and USB ports. It does have pimp factor with the Sony LED on the front and the touch controls. You will notice that the BenQ is also quite a bit bigger even though it's a 24" vs a 23" which was nice.

Overall I think the Sony has a better picture. Kraylon may feel his BenQ has the better picture as well. Matter of opinion...The bottom line is we are both very happy and you can't go wrong with either one of them. Anybody that says the older Sony won't stand up to these newer monitors is seriously mistaken.

I used my Olympus 5060 5mp camera to take the photos.

Wow that monitor looks sweet, do you know any store that sells them? It seems Sony has discontinued that monitor.

Yeah it's definately discountinued. I bought mine from Newegg 2 weeks before than ran out. You can search around and find them. I found 5 or 6 of them on E-Bay.

One thing though. The 23/24" display isn't as big as I thought it was going to be. The screen is the same height as my 19" but quite a bit wider. A 30" display would be perfect:) . Someday...

Back