I'm Widescreaming for Christmas.

mcravenufo

Ravenufo's Macs
I'm looking for a wide screen monitor for a Christmas present to myself.
I have been researching for the past 3 weeks and I am getting burnt out because one model doesn't really stand out as the model to have. I am also getting frustrated and about ready to scream because it usually only takes me a couple of days to research the perfect hardware item for me.

- Cost is not an issue.

- It has to be good at gaming.

- I am going to upgrade my system to the latest and greatest hardware so no worries there.

- I see that current models may have updates in the near future that will make them even better. I am sure there are also newer models coming out so I wonder if I should just wait a few months? I suppose I could do this but where's the fun in that?

- I don't want to go over 24" because I sit close to the monitor. I also don't want to go under 20" but I wonder if 20" is going to give me that big wow factor. (I am currently running a 19" CRT). I read that 22" models have some issues so I don't think I should get one of those but I think a 22" model is the perfect size.

- These are just a few of the models I have been looking at:
NEC 20WMGx2 - 20.1" $609
ViewSonic VX2025WM - 20.1" $339.99
Samsung 225BW - 22" $379
Sceptre x22wg - 22" $359
BenQ FP241 - 24" $799
Acer AL2423Wdr - 24" $698

Any recommendations? I am open to anything.

The Gateway 22" HD Widescreen LCD is probably the best of the 22 incher's there are.

FD2275HD or something I have no idea.... there's a thread on it I think.

Actually the NEC 20wmgx2 is the best LCD out there right now to me, because the contrast and birghtness ratio is so high. 1600:1 Contrast with a 2.5 dot pitch. Its a TV also, with Picture in Picture.

It is displayed with a glossy screen also that makes the colors look so much richer, crisp, and vibrant. I promise you, you will not regret this monitor.

My daughter pushed this LCD off my desk and it busted the screen...and NEC's warranty wont cover it. Damn I love this screen, but I went ahead and bought/tried something new - ( Dell 2407 A03) will be here this week hopefully.

Heres screenshots of mine.

Picture010.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture040.jpg

Picture033.jpg

lvlarvin said:
Actually the NEC 20wmgx2 is the best LCD out there right now to me, because the contrast and birghtness ratio is so high. 1600:1 Contrast with a 2.5 dot pitch.

It is displayed with a glossy screen also that makes the colors look so much richer, crisp, and vibrant. I promise you, you will not regret this monitor.

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

What size screen did you upgrade from? When you are playing games do you wish you had a little bit larger screen?

Thanks for the pics!

mcravenufo said:
What size screen did you upgrade from? When you are playing games do you wish you had a little bit larger screen?

Thanks for the pics!

I went from a 19'' CRT and its a big difference. Everything just looks so much better on widescreen.

Going back to the CRT just after using this WS for 30mins was so wierd. Everything looked bunched together.

That NEC is 20.1'' with high resolution at 1680x1050.

mcravenufo:

I'm in quite a similar situation. Sitting with a pretty decent (for when it was made) 17" square Viewsonic and was looking at all the ones you mentioned at the top. These LCDs are really a pain in the neck to research as it seems like for every person with a glowing review theres an equally steaming review from someone else!

I was also thinking very hard about that 20" NEC. At the moment it also has a $50 MIR good at most any store (Newegg being one, but most other "NEC Certified Stores" as well). From what I've read, as long as you don't mind the glossy screen, you really get a great panel for the premium NEC asks. I think in the end I'll probably roll with that one as well.

Some others you may want to research:

LG has a 20" thats decently popular but only available state-side from Circuit City. And of course Dell has their 2007 (the "lottery" of two or three possible panels you could get) and their 2407 (with banding that may or may not have been fixed). Was definitly thinking of the 2407, can get one for about the price of the NEC and its 4" more yet the panel isn't quite as good and there are some potential problems depending on which one you get. Decisions decision!

Keep me informed with what you do and I'll do likewise :)

-GF

P.S. Sorry to hear about your screen lvlarvin! Tell us how your new one compares once that arrives (and if the bigger size is "worth it").
P.P.S. I have the same keyboard and mouse as you (Logitech rocks).

Alright I will keep you guys updated and it should be arriving sometime this week. I'll post back here with pictures. Im pretty sure the 2407 will not look as good as the NEC, but atleast it will be 4'' bigger.

Gamefreak99 said:
mcravenufo:

I'm in quite a similar situation. Sitting with a pretty decent (for when it was made) 17" square Viewsonic and was looking at all the ones you mentioned at the top. These LCDs are really a pain in the neck to research as it seems like for every person with a glowing review theres an equally steaming review from someone else!
Keep me informed with what you do and I'll do likewise :)

I found out the same thing on reviews. What a pain.

I will also let you know what I get (when I finally know what to get).

Yeah, definitly check www.widescreengamingforum.com if you havn't already. They have a nice table to compare features and they have links to in- and out- of house reviews. And of course the massive 30+ page posts on here :)

Oh and apparently the NEC has a TV tuner? That is sort of cool, don't think you can capture video onto your PC from that though?

GF

Samsung 215T(W) Samsung S-PVA (LTM210M2) (21", 8ms g>g, D-Sub/DVI-D)
uses the same panel as the Eizo S2110W 8ms G2G 21"WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM210M2) but much cheaper. The Eizo S2110W is everywhere tested as "The Best!".

You would be stupid to only go for 22" without looking at the quality. The Samsung SM225BW 5ms 22"WS Samsung TN Film (LTM220M1) is a TN Panel so not so good as an S-PVA,P-MVA or S-IPS panel. TN is the worst panel you can get!

Gamefreak99 said:
Yeah, definitly check www.widescreengamingforum.com if you havn't already. They have a nice table to compare features and they have links to in- and out- of house reviews. And of course the massive 30+ page posts on here :)

Oh and apparently the NEC has a TV tuner? That is sort of cool, don't think you can capture video onto your PC from that though?

GF

The extra features of the NEC are actually a turn off for me. I am only going to use it as a computer monitor for gaming, etc.. and will not use the extra features that I would be paying for. I read good things about it so that's why it is on my list of possibles.

Youri Carma said:
Samsung 215T(W) Samsung S-PVA (LTM210M2) (21", 8ms g>g, D-Sub/DVI-D)
uses the same panel as the Eizo S2110W 8ms G2G 21"WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM210M2) but much cheaper.

You would be stupid to only go for 22" without looking at the quality. The Samsung SM225BW 5ms 22"WS Samsung TN Film (LTM220M1) is a TN Panel so not so good as an S-PVA,P-MVA or S-IPS panel. TN is the worst panel you can get!

hmm, the 215TW looks good. I see people complaining of lag though?

The 215 Sammy looks pretty good but from the reviews I've read the issue of input lag has come up lots and lots, wouldn't really get that panel simply from the research I've done :-/

As far as TN: I'm running on a TN now and to be honest I think it looks pretty good (last thing I had was a CRT a couple years ago). If this is bad I can't wait to see what "good" is :)

GF

mcravenufo said:
The extra features of the NEC are actually a turn off for me. I am only going to use it as a computer monitor for gaming, etc.. and will not use the extra features that I would be paying for. I read good things about it so that's why it is on my list of possibles.

The PiP is great for me. When your chilling, surfing the net, and chatting, you can do all that and catch up on a show or watch the news.

If your into MMO's - you can grind and watch TV at the same time! lol.

From the shots I couldn't tell -- does it just have a port for a standard cable line or something else? Can you get HD tv through that?

GF

OK if its for gaming issues TN is a way to go but for pure Quality not.

Gaming Best Monitor: NEC LCD20WGX2 6ms G2G LG.Philips AS-IPS 700:1 (1600:1 Advanced DVM)*
lvlarvin = Right, I totaly agree! Only thing is if you like or totaly dislike the glance effect on this NEC.

Also good:
ViewSonic VX2025WM AU Optronics P-MVA (M201EW01 V0)
Fujitsu-Siemens S20-1W AU Optronics P-MVA (M201EW01 V0)
Belinea 102035W AU Optronisc P-MVA (M201EW01 V0)

I'll second everyone who said the NEC 20WMGx2 is the best available right now. I just picked one up for $525 after $50 rebate. You ain't going to find any other LCD that can compare with LG's new AS-ISP panet. It's the best all arounder for under $900.

lvlarvin [B said:
lvlarvin[/B] = Right, I totaly agree! Only thing is if you like or totaly dislike the glance effect /QUOTE]

I have no glancing effects - maybe because Its facing away from the window or I always have the blinds closed.

Or its because I dont have super bright lights all around my room lol.

My biggest question is about paying that much vs getting a larger screen. I have a pretty large budget so either is viable but I'm not really sure if getting a low quality yet bigger one would be as good as a smaller yet super display. Is the extra 4" and extra resolution "worth it" compared to the tradeoffs? Anyone with experience care to comment? :)

GF

Youri Carma said:
Only Gaming and Best Price I agree:
The Samsung SM225BW 5ms 22"WS Samsung TN Film (LTM220M1)

Interesting... looks as if that is a rather decent 22"er. $380 on the 'Egg (free shipping through PayPal as well till Xmas) and it seems as if it has no input lag ala the 215. The shots on the thread look pretty decent as well:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1101757&page=10&pp=20

Has HDCP though no component plugs (not really a big deal for me). Interesting.... very interesting... (it is a TN though :-/)

Edit: Here as well: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=336&p=3

GF

Also the TN's are much better than a couple of years ago so I wouldn't be frightened by my former statement about TN. But people like me (Graphical Designer) look with another eye.

I think Samsung have already proved to be on top of it Eizo is using the Samsung Panels all the time (not the TN but the S-PVA nevertheless a Samsung Panel) next to the Hitachi S-IPS.

I think the Samsung 22" won't dissapoint you.

The NEC with the AS-IPS is better but is also much more expensive....for you to decide....

Gamefreak99 said:
My biggest question is about paying that much vs getting a larger screen. I have a pretty large budget so either is viable but I'm not really sure if getting a low quality yet bigger one would be as good as a smaller yet super display. Is the extra 4" and extra resolution "worth it" compared to the tradeoffs? Anyone with experience care to comment? :)

GF

I have this dilemma as well.

Well I think it's worth spending a extra buck on your monitor since you expect to have it for a couple of computersystems.

I personaly think that the 20",21",22" are overpriced and I just read that "LCD makers probed for price fixing" http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061212-8406.html
So that would confirm my feelings about that.

That's why I quite studying the 20"21"22" and moved to 24" also cause I think it's the ideal size for a desktop monitor.

I am planning to buy a Eizo 2410W and a new 24" is coming up next year Eizo S2411W with also HDMI. Next year a lot of 24"+ will be launched anywayz.

Or I pay 600-800 for 20"21"22" or 1100 for 24" so I made up my mind about this and go for the 24".

And I am talking about mid-high range monitors no TN and also not the most expensive Eizo's or something.

I was doing some more research today and I'm thinking about picking up the BenQ FP241W. From what I read, its a better 24" than the Dell 2407 and only downside being no 1:1 pixel mapping -- which doesn't really apply to me as Nvidia cards can do that through their drivers (or something like that). It is $800 though :-/

Gamefreak99 said:
I was doing some more research today and I'm thinking about picking up the BenQ FP241W. From what I read, its a better 24" than the Dell 2407 and only downside being no 1:1 pixel mapping -- which doesn't really apply to me as Nvidia cards can do that through their drivers (or something like that). It is $800 though :-/

I was thinking about it as well. But I read that an updated model is coming out that supports 1:1 but I didn't want to wait.

24" is much more fun than 20" or 22".
My wife enjoys my old Dell 2405 very much when she does her WOW Sessions, and I am glad with my new 3007. I play GTR2 at native resolution (2560x1600) using my trackir3 head-tracker and a Logitech G25.

:D

Gamefreak99 said:
Those Xbox guys waever make me Crazy!!! :eek: Why don''t those braindeads buy a descent PC!?

And I don"t want HDMI, they keep it!

NEC is also producing a 24" next year but is not worth looking at.

For me BenQ FP241W € 1000,- or Eizo S2140W € 1100,- not to difficult a choice for a graphical designer.

For You BenQ FP241 $800 :D = € 600,- LOL

Yess! It's worthy that extra 4"!

lvlarvin said:
Actually the NEC 20wmgx2 is the best LCD out there right now to me, because the contrast and birghtness ratio is so high. 1600:1 Contrast with a 2.5 dot pitch. Its a TV also, with Picture in Picture.

My daughter pushed this LCD off my desk and it busted the screen...and NEC's warranty wont cover it. Damn I love this screen, but I went ahead and bought/tried something new - ( Dell 2407 A03) will be here this week hopefully.

off top - in the top picture you have a gigabyte 3d aurora case, and the rest of the pics its a silverstone, thermaltake or some other piece of crap. how do you like the gigabyte? i have put a couple needed mods on mine (120mm blowhole in window, upgraded all fans) and love it.

on top - i also have the sammy 225. i have had it about 1 month and its a fine panel. mine doesnt suffer from the backlight bleeding that many of the early ones have. look around and you should get it for less than $380. It was $299 at cc a couple weeks ago. the chimei, acer, benq, aoc, sceptre, viewsonic 2230 and 2245, and the niko 22" monitors all use the same panel. some of these are a little over 3 beans at newegg right now. they are all pretty much the same.

Last reply than I am gonna die! ;)

The Acer AL2423Wdr uses the excelent Samsung (LTM240M2) panel and also 6ms so could be a excelent gaming monitor.
The Samsung (LTM240M2) panel also used in the expensive but slower 8ms G2G Eizo CE240W en less expensive Eizo S2401W but Eizo pushes the limit always much further in specs for coloroptimizing.
Donnow what Acer made of the Samsung (LTM240M2) panel in color (for gaming of less importance)?

The Acer AL2423Wdr also has some nice Usercommands: http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16824009089
The BenQ also has very nice Usercommands see the topic "Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews" http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1066372

6ms G2G 24"WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM240M2) Acer AL2423Wdr - 24" $700
6ms G2G 24"WS AU Optronics P-MVA (M240UW01 V0) BenQ FP241 - 24" $800

Very optimistic single reviews about the BenQ FP241, maybe too optimistic? We don't realy know cause havn't seen any line up test yet. Would be nice to see the Eizo S2401W and the Samsung 244T in that line up too. Also in the Dell many people are interested but older Line up reviews don't give the Dell 2407WFP much credit but ver cheaply on the market.

Little bit too expensive if you can buy a 24" for a bit buck more but The Best for Gaming :
6ms G2G 20"WS LG.Philips AS-IPS (LM201WE2) NEC 20WMGx2 - 20.1" $600

Ok, but Samsung and NEC are Better and most likely the BenQ FP2401 which uses the same panel P-MVA but (M240UW01 V0):
8ms G2G 20"WS AU Optronics P-MVA (M201EW01 V0) ViewSonic VX2025WM - 20.1" $340

Very fast for gaming but not the best panels:
5ms 22"WS Samsung TN Film (LTM220M1)Samsung 225BW - 22" $380
5ms G2G 22"WS TN Film Sceptre x22wg - 22" $360

And think about DvD too!

How much of a hit is my 7900 going to be taking with a 24" er? And how do DVDs look stretched that thin?

Gamefreak99 said:
How much of a hit is my 7900 going to be taking with a 24" er? And how do DVDs look stretched that thin?
Translated from German: http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test-eizo-s2410w-k-teil8.html

"To play reasonable on the resolution of 1.920 x 1.200 in 3D-Games you need to begin with a Highend ATI X1800 XT or nVidia 7800GTX. But even with these cards if you put the resolution and deatail to the max you will differ or drop your framerates. In that situation it's better to use the next resolution to native(=1920x1200) to 1.680 x1.050. People who don't like that have the choice of ATI's Crossfire or Nvidea's SLI double graphiccards use which is not the most "Bang for your Buck" solution."

But today is A OK! Rounadabout 170,-
Sapphire Radeon X1900 GT 256MB DDR3
GeCube Radeon X1900 GT 256MB DDR3
MSI Radeon RX1950 Pro 256MB DDR3
Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB DDR3

DvD look ok cause the 24" are 6:10 and most movies are 16:9 which leaves a very descent blackline on top and under. And they don't look thinner on a widescreen but Bigger and Wider.

(P.S. It's a pitty that the BenQ FP2401 has problems with the 1.680 x1.050 resolution! One thing 1.680 x1.050 on the Eizo S2401W looks great)

Youri Carma said:
Those Xbox guys waever make me Crazy!!! :eek: Why don''t those braindeads buy a descent PC!?

And I don"t want HDMI, they keep it!

NEC is also producing a 24" next year but is not worth looking at.

For me BenQ FP241W € 1000,- or Eizo S2140W € 1100,- not to difficult a choice for a graphical designer.

For You BenQ FP241 $800 :D = € 600,- LOL

Yess! It's worthy that extra 4"!

Why isnt the 24 inch NEC woth looking at?? I would rather use an S-IPS than an S-PVA like the Eizo?? So could you please explain??

The 24" version (2490WUXi) has "only" 72% NTSC color gamut, just like NEC 2190UX. Only 26" version (NEC 2690WUXi) has 92% color gamut unfortunately. I'd rather buy 24" version, since they both have 1920x1200 native resolutions, so 26" version has quite big dot pitch, but 92% gamut looks rather tempting, since I need display for color correction, photo editing, DTP, graphic design etc. Anyway, 24" is in any case unavailable to me, since it will only be released in the US, not EU."

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1131919

I decided to get the Samsung 225BW.
I picked it up at a local CompUSA for the same price on newegg after rebate in case I needed to take it back.
It does have some back light bleed on the top and bottom but nothing serious. So far it is working great for me and I am happy with it.

Oewie Baby, I am Widescreening with X-mas Now!!!!!

Just recieved my Eizo FlexScan S2401W!!!

Realy Amazing cannot write anything objective now. :D

Back