Catalyst 6.12 released

Nice thanks

Here are the release notes for lazy people

ATI 6.12 release notes said:
New Features

This release of the ATI Catalyst™ software suite introduces DirectX video acceleration for CrossFire™ enabled configurations.
Issues Resolved in Catalyst® Software Suite 6.12

The following section provides a summary of the issues that are resolved in the latest release of Catalyst®. These include:

* Black&White 2: Slow frame rate is no longer noticed when playing the game under Windows XP when setting the graphics to the lowest possible settings. Further details can be found in topic number 737-23714
* Neverwinter Nights: Enabling super AA and CrossFire within the Catalyst Control Center no longer results in display corruption being noticed within the game's main menu. Further details can be found in topic number 737-23718
* Catalyst® Control Center->CrossFire™: Attempting to resume from a standby state no longer results in the Windows XP operating system failing to respond when using a Radeon® X19x0 CrossFire™ Edition series of product. Further details can be found in topic number 737-23713
* Catalyst Control Center: Setting the language option to French for the Catalyst Control Center no longer results in the text found in Catalyst Control Center being cropped. This issue was known to occur under all supported operating system. Further details can be found in topic number 737-23716
* Using PowerDVD to playback a DVD no longer results in the playback appearing choppy. Further details can be found in topic number 737-23719
* Catalyst Control Center: The translation for Centered Timings is now translated properly for Simplified Chinese. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24337
* The index in the Catalyst Control Center help no longer contains double entries for various aspects. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24338
* Catalyst Control Center->Help: Clicking on the CrossFire help no longer results in a page not found error message being displayed. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24339
* Using the Avivo Video Converter to convert a video file no longer exceeds the 300MB for a VCD encoded file. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24340
* Catalyst Control Center->Help: Clicking on certain help file links no longer results in the incorrect help file being displayed. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24341
* Catalyst Control Center: The Profile Manager is now translated properly for Italian. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24342
* Catalyst Control Center: Various options such as Select a Language and Deinterlacing for the Thai language are now translated properly. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24343
* Changing the language to Korean in the Catalyst Control Center no longer results in the degree symbol appearing corrupted within the rotation page. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24344
* Catalyst Control Center->Basic View: Selecting Japanese as the language no longer results in various aspects of the Easy Setting Wizard and Setup Display Settings not being translated properly. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24345
* Using hotkeys to switch between LCD mode and CRT+LCD mode no longer results in the hotkey function failing when attempting to switch back to LCD mode only. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24288
* Using PowerDVD to playback a DVD no longer results in the playback appearing jittery. Further details can be found in topic number 737-23719
* CrossFire: Playing Windows XP games such as Labyrinth or HyperBowl no longer results in display corruption being noticed in the game's menu page. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24335
* Hardware acceleration no longer becomes disabled when running the HQV benchmark DVD with CrossFire enabled. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24336

Known Issues for Catalyst® Software Suite 6.12

The following section provides a summary of open issues in the latest version of Catalyst®. These include:

* Battlefield 2: Attempting to launch the game under Windows XP with the in-game display setting at 1920x1440 or 2048x1536 and AA set to 6x may result in the game failing to launch. Further details can be found in topic number 737-22817
* Sniper Elite: Playing the game under Windows XP with a Radeon® X1600 series installed may result in texture corruption being noticed. Further details can be found in topic number 737-22820
* Enabling CrossFire™ may result in display corruption being noticed when playing a DVD or media clip using either WinDVD 7, Windows Media Player or PowerDVD 6. Further details can be found in topic number 737-22806
* Catalyst® Control Center->Basic View: Connecting a secondary display device and attempting to enable it, may result in the inability to enable the device when using Basic view. Further details can be found in topic number 737-23446
* Intermittent display issues may be noticed when using an Apple Cinema HD 30" display device. Contact AMD Customer Care for a solution. AMD Engineering is aware of the issue and a resolve will be available in an up-coming software driver release. Further details can be found in topic number
* During video playback, DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) may not be available when CrossFire mode is enabled. This will result in software mode video playback. To enable DXVA, CrossFire™ mode must be disabled. Further details can be found in topic number 737-23447
* Uninstalling the graphics drivers may result in some of the files and folder failing to be removed in the Program File folder. Further details can be found in topic number 737-23715
* Attempting to maximize an OpenGL application window may result in either the OpenGL window maximizing slowly or the system failing to respond. Further details can be found in topic number 737-23717
* Clicking on the Restore Factory Defaults button found in the Catalyst Control Center->TV Properties may result in the TV position failing to be restored to the factory defaults. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24346
* Catalyst® Control Center->Basic View: Connecting a secondary display device and attempting to enable it, may result in the inability to enable the device when using Basic view. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24347
* Setting the display panel attributes to Scale Image to Full Panel Size, followed by entering an S3 state may result in the desktop failing to resume to a full screen mode. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24348
* Catalyst Control Center: Connecting an HDTV or DFP display device may result in some of the HDTV formats being listed twice in the Catalyst Control Center->Digital Panel Properties->HDTV Support. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24349
* Catalyst Control Center->Digital Panel Properties->HDTV Support: Adding custom formats to the 1080i and attempting to remove those custom formats may result in the formats failing to removed. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24350
* Catalyst Control Center->Help: Clicking on the Monitor and Digital Panel Properties found in the Contents section of the Help may result in a message indicating that the page cannot be displayed. Further details can be found in topic number 737-24351

i dont see anything about supporting the 1950xt 256mb, Mine is in the mail, but ive read alot about how the newest drivers from ati dont support it, you can only use the outdated disc they give you, and i see the update and dont see anything about it,, anyone know?

Dethman said:
i dont see anything about supporting the 1950xt 256mb, Mine is in the mail, but ive read alot about how the newest drivers from ati dont support it, you can only use the outdated disc they give you, and i see the update and dont see anything about it,, anyone know?

I'll be testing it out in a couple hours on mine..

i dont see anything about fixing the dvi which doesn't work anymore with numerous monitors

MrSneis said:
results, I want results!

I compared the beta 6.12 to 6.11 and there was a noticeable difference in FEAR, I don't care to do it with the finalized ones as it takes too much time hehe. do a search for 6.12 beta, you'll find it.

i noticed alot of difference with 6.12 than 6.11 everything is smoother but the only thing when things are sometime smoother when installing new CATS like weeks go by and things get sorta jagged again but not too jagged but jagged a little bit.

Its still great though having the newest CATS, and 6.11 cats were buggy the installation since it froze,. .. ... ... and then when i clicked cancelled after 2hrs passed it asked if i wanted to restart pc since it installed them successfully. But with 6.12's the installation was perfect nothing froze everything installed like it should and i like 6.12's so far its very nice.

Dethman said:
did you guys have any problems before?
Yes. Basically ATI drivers would say it didn't find any card compatible with the drivers.

However the problem seems to still exist for me :( It's worse in fact (screen goes blank after XP logo), I'm about to reinstall XP - can't even go into safe mode. Joy joy.

ouch, im getting the sapphire x1950xt 256 card, is that the same you have? other people have this card? does it work with the 6.12? Im not sure of the manufacture makes a diffrence

I installed these. Upon reboot my system froze for about 2 minutes, then everything seemed to be ok. I upgrade my CATs with almost every new release (last 3 cards were ATI) and this is the first time I've seen this. I played some BF2 and didn't encounter any issues so I think everything is ok. It was just odd. Anyone else see something like this?

[H]ocusPocus said:
I installed these. Upon reboot my system froze for about 2 minutes, then everything seemed to be ok. I upgrade my CATs with almost every new release (last 3 cards were ATI) and this is the first time I've seen this. I played some BF2 and didn't encounter any issues so I think everything is ok. It was just odd. Anyone else see something like this?

Nope. Installed them and my x1950pro runs just fine. Played NWN2 for a few hours without a problem (well, the VRM's overheat, but that has nothing to do with drivers).

Havent seen any difference in performance because I haven't measured anything but I played Guild wars for at least 4 hours with no issues!

Got em, got EATM/ATMALphaSharpenMode enabled, looks great, 3DMark06 performance is up some too

EATM_ALPHA_demo.gif

How to enable EATM/ATMALphaSharpenMode

3DMark06: 4968 with Cat 6.12s and EATM/ATMALphaSharpenMode=1

I couldn't get the ATMalphasharpenmode and EATM working. I though it was working and I followed all the instructions in that thread even those 8 steps that included driver cleaner and all that.

My game of choice was battlefield 2142 I loaded up a single player 16 bot Belgrade and took multiple screenshots in one place with a lot of trees.

I tried a bunch of different combinations and they all looked the same, I even tried enabling/disabling Adaptive AA.

Meh...

I've been using it for the past week in the 6.12 betas. Looks awesome in Oblivion. 4xaa with wonderful alpha blending at a frame rate only a little bit lower than 4xaa by itself. Still has bugs though. ATi is gonna have a great feature on their hands when its ready

I haven't tried Oblivion yet but the following are running super smooth:

Need For Speed Carbon: 1600x1200 Max settings 2xAA
Splinter Cell Double Agent: 1600x1200 Max settings except no AA and no Soft Shadows
FEAR Extraction Point: 1600x1200 Max settings 2xAA

These drivers perform WAY better than 6.11 and XG Warcat 6.11 which improved on the original 6.11 by offering a smoother gaming experience.

I never had much of a problem with the Valve games so I didn't try them this time.

tried out eatm and alpha dealie, at first i didn't notice any change but when I turned them off I noticed right away lol.

MrSneis said:
tried out eatm and alpha dealie, at first i didn't notice any change but when I turned them off I noticed right away lol.
I have to remove the tweaks also and see if I notice a difference. I have been experiencing crashes when I change in game settings like AA levels and Soft Shadows. VPU recovery kicks in most of the time but once in a while it just crashes the whole OS. I didn't have this problem with 6.11. My workaround for now is to adjust the settings before I send the game into 3D mode. That seems to work but it means that I have to exit the game and launch it again to make further changes.

What is a good game or a good spot in a game to verify those EATM and Alphasharpenmode are working?

To x1950xt owners, please do the following:

- Right click My Computer >> Properties >> Hardware >> Device Manager >> Display Adapters

If it shows X1950 series under Display adapters, chances are 6.12 still don't support x1950xt cards, even though it helps make the card function, but it still doesn't detect it right.

A quick test would be to run, say 3Dmark05 and see the results for yourself, I got mine and they are horrid, way lower than even 7800XT, ORB reports my sapphire x1950xt as "generic VGA display adapter", while I had it installed with Catalyst 6.12.

winston856 said:
What is a good game or a good spot in a game to verify those EATM and Alphasharpenmode are working?
I remember reading on the Rage3D forums that Half Life 2 is a good game to test it out on. They mention something about the fences looking better and foliage being rendered correctly.

noel. then what are you using for drivers? the cd? and what is the brand of the card?,

tesfaye said:
I remember reading on the Rage3D forums that Half Life 2 is a good game to test it out on. They mention something about the fences looking better and foliage being rendered correctly.

If you look at the chain link fences in certain areas (even in the opening area) you'll notice that sometimes the links seem disconnected if viewed from an off angle or a greater distance - you should notice that the links all connect (more or less) with the new settings applied.

blknoel said:
If it shows X1950 series under Display adapters, chances are 6.12 still don't support x1950xt cards, even though it helps make the card function, but it still doesn't detect it right.

It's suppose to show up as "X1950" just like my X1900XT shows up as "X1900". That way ATi can simply indentify both X1950XT and X1950CF as "X1950" and install easily the correct DirectX/OpenGL driver (since all X1950's use the same driver, there's no point in making a seperate profiles for each card)

Back