Bring on the cheap quad cores! E5310: $335 + ship

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Link

How do these things oc? Yes I know it uses a 771 socket not 775, but a low end 771 board isn't much more than a high end 775 board. And you can stick 2 of them in :D

So much for the "well I can upgrade 4x4 to quad-core later on!" arguments.

Intel's really on a roll here. Quad-core Xeons for $350?! :eek: Amazing, simply amazing.

Anyone notice the power consumtion numbers? 80W for a quad-core! Amazing!!!

Question had helps to decide [H]otness factor: do all s771 chips require the use of FB-Dimms?

Holy smokes. So tempted to build a 8-way xeon server. Yea, at 80W, these will make awesome low-power folding boxens.

Before anyone creams their jeans over this for a gaming system or the like, the cheapest mobo with a true PCI-e x16 slot is $445... Just FYI. :)

I've been needing to upgrade some servers and this might do the trick. Can't believe a quad core CPU is that cheap.

Whipsmack said:
dumb Q, will this perform better than core 2 duos? or is this more of a server thing?
That's not a dumb question, but the dumb answer is, it will depend on what program you are running.

If a program isn't multi-threaded, the highest clock speed available will be best, so the X6800 would be faster. In a highly threaded application, a slower clock speed, quad core CPU will be faster.

Games, for anybody wondering, will definitely run better with a X6800 (today), because today's games are not very multi-threaded.

Rob Black said:
Im also wondering. 2 of these or 1 QX6800

umm

QX6800 is not an existing processor.
Are you refering to QX6700 or X6800 which is a dual core.

This is great for multi-threading apps like MySQL, etc (even if the clock-speed is rather low.)

Just stay away if you're thinking about gaming. You can't OC this like th E6300 (maybe a 200MHz soft-OC w/ software), and even for multi-threaded games, 1.6GHz is kinda slow.

IMO, you'd want at least the 2.13GHz quad-cores or something, and those will probably end up being around $700 or so, just like Opty 275s hung around that price.

ir0nw0lf said:
Before anyone creams their jeans over this for a gaming system or the like, the cheapest mobo with a true PCI-e x16 slot is $445... Just FYI. :)

I've been needing to upgrade some servers and this might do the trick. Can't believe a quad core CPU is that cheap.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-S2692AN#

$345. 2x 16x PCI-E ports. One has an 8x signal. Folding boxen with two GPU cards that will obliterate any box you have for under $2k is what I am gunning for. ;)

Could someone at [H] benchmark this for gaming with one good card? It would be very interesting to see what happens. Only have seen on review on the web for Enemy Territory and it was for the previous version of Xeon.

Yeah, motherboards are too expensive, you can't overclock, and they take super expensive FB-DIMMs. Good for a server or workstation, not for a desktop.

schizo said:
Yeah, motherboards are too expensive, you can't overclock, and they take super expensive FB-DIMMs. Good for a server or workstation, not for a desktop.

Real MB's cost money. I haven't bought a motherboard for sub $300 and at least 2 sockets in several years.

I think you'll find yourself in the minority there, even on enthusiast forums like this one.

Too bad the speed is rather low, 1.6ghz :(

I just bought HP server with Dual Core 5160 for work, (3.0ghz), now that thing IS FAST.

thejulex said:
Too bad the speed is rather low, 1.6ghz :(

I just bought HP server with Dual Core 5160 for work, (3.0ghz), now that thing IS FAST.

We've got 1/2 dozen to a dozen of these @ work. Haven't played with them personally, but...:) They should be fast.

I think on something like the photoshop test in SMP forum, 8 * 1.6ghz core > 4 3.0ghz cores, no?

schizo said:
I find comments like these rather amusing. How much is that "Striker" selling for? How many PCI-X slots does it have? With the current "enthusiast" board prices, going for a nice 2P board is a little jump, not a 3x increase in price like it used to be.

isnt this a little too cheap?

$335/4 = $83.75 per processor...would it make sense to buy a $650 8800gtx and pair it up with a 83 dollar processor? :confused:

drizzt81 said:
I find comments like these rather amusing. How much is that "Striker" selling for?
I try not to flame peoples' purchases, so please just take this as one man's opinion, but these motherboards are WAY overpriced and anyone that paid $400 for a striker ate too much library paste in kindergarten. $250 for the evga 680i is more than it's worth to me as an educated purchase. $250 is a lot for a motherboard, and I'd rather spend the money on an 8800GTX instead of a GTS. But $400? For a motherboard? Holy crap, that's obscene!

movax said:
This is great for multi-threading apps like MySQL, etc (even if the clock-speed is rather low.)

Just stay away if you're thinking about gaming. You can't OC this like th E6300 (maybe a 200MHz soft-OC w/ software), and even for multi-threaded games, 1.6GHz is kinda slow.

IMO, you'd want at least the 2.13GHz quad-cores or something, and those will probably end up being around $700 or so, just like Opty 275s hung around that price.

With right mobo, these cpus should OC like monsters.

schizo said:
I try not to flame peoples' purchases, so please just take this as one man's opinion, but these motherboards are WAY overpriced and anyone that paid $400 for a striker ate too much library paste in kindergarten. $250 for the evga 680i is more than it's worth to me as an educated purchase. $250 is a lot for a motherboard, and I'd rather spend the money on an 8800GTX instead of a GTS. But $400? For a motherboard? Holy crap, that's obscene!

I have no regrets. I purchased my motherboard for ~ 400'ish with newegg extended warranty and it died. They gave me a full refund and I rebought a newer board, also with 2 sockets ages ago. I'm sitting at 4 cores now, I have a pci-X storage adapter (just google for problems with motherboard makers thinking the pci-e,x16 slot is only for video), dual pci-e x16 (full x16 in each slot...nforce pro chipset), another 1-2 pci-X slots open, 2 onboard nics (I believe one is either on pci-e x16 or pci-x bus, but I have to check the block diagram), 2 cpu sockets & 8 ram sockets. My single socket 939 has no hope (and I bought it newer) of possibly going to 4 cores, while my year+ older board easily goes to 4. YMMV. I think workstation/server boards are definately worth the money. My next buy will most likely be a 2x1207 or 2x771 if they still exist 2-3 years down the road. 4 x 2.6ghz opteron cores is way more than enough for me :)

Rob

I am starting to love INTEL again, good GOD this is amazing price. I hope INTEL will come up with cheap Quadcores for comsumer market.

I am feeling chills here man. :D

k00lance said:
With right mobo, these cpus should OC like monsters.

They don't make socket 771 mobo's that can overclock... You have to resort to pin modding, and then you can only get it to run at 2ghz :(

annaconda said:
I am starting to love INTEL again, good GOD this is amazing price. I hope INTEL will come up with cheap Quadcores for comsumer market.

I am feeling chills here man. :D
"Cheap" quadcores for consumers will come in Q2 2007, when the Q6600 gets knocked down to $530. At least that's what Intel's roadmap says.

Hulk said:
isnt this a little too cheap?

$335/4 = $83.75 per processor...would it make sense to buy a $650 8800gtx and pair it up with a 83 dollar processor? :confused:

No, it wouldn't make any sense at all. If you looking for gaming performance then this definitely isn't for you. This is geared towards the workstation/server crowd who benefit more from multiple cores than pure speed.

Rob Black said:
These will probabley be good for video editing, right?

They should rule at video editing, esp if you have a queue of jobs to be processed or software that can eat 8 cores...then for sure.

Rob Black said:
These will probabley be good for video editing, right?

I didn't want to get OT, but I must, what programs are good for video editing?

Back