Need a new mail server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Initial_Reactor

[H]ard|Gawd
I need a new mail server.

We currently run Exchange, but to be real honest, we don't need/want the bloatware that is associated with it.

Upon first discussion, the director stated he didn't want open source in the network at all (due to his lack of knowledge). After a few hours of brainstorming and looking around, he has agreed basically to turn this mess over to me. Although it would be easier in the long run for us to deploy a windows based solution, I now have a green light to put up Linux based solution, provided it has reputation/stats/etc to back it up. We're just wanted to get away from all of the non-essentials we don't need with Exchange.

The network here is legacy, so I would also like to stay in the realm of tried, tested and true.

Any ideas? I've been looking into Merak, but am a bit unclear on how our current Symantec AntiVirus/AntiSpam solution would work with it.

To sum it up, this wasn't my job until about a month ago, and I've finally gotten the boss to bite on a replacement solution, only I never thought it would get this far. Now the proverbial ball is in my court.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

I use hMail for my small domain. Not sure how it will scale to large users...but it works for basic pop3/imap/smtp. Spam blocking is pretty decent.

alternatively, I used SurgeMail before...it had newsletter, blogs, and a few other ways. Since i had less than 5 accounts, it was free for me...but I kinda thought they were priced a little high.

Exchange has one huge advantage over open source. Support. Its that simple. "bloatware'"is a term I might use if i didn't know how to properly maintain and manage an exchange server. Stick with the support and features of Exchange. You need to think past the time that you might be working there. Exchnage isn't perfect but I haven't seen any other product that is. Its only as good as the people who manage it.

oakfan52 said:
Exchange has one huge advantage over open source. Support. Its that simple. "bloatware'"is a term I might use if i didn't know how to properly maintain and manage an exchange server. Stick with the support and features of Exchange. You need to think past the time that you might be working there. Exchnage isn't perfect but I haven't seen any other product that is. Its only as good as the people who manage it.
I completely agree with this statement. The reality is that Exchange is probably by far the best option for your situation.

I have 1 Exchange server where I work.
We have many off site users that are unable to VPN in, and they are very fond of the web interface that exchange provides.
I will say straight up that I have not administrated any other email server, but the big thing I have to say about Exchange is this - it suffers from set it and forget it syndrome. It's just too easy.
As long as the company is willing to pay the price, Exchange generally is not a headache.

I really can't call myself an exchange admin, as it's never been my 'baby' before.

I guess this is one of 'those' defining moments. Learn Exchange or fade to the background...

I hate seeing that, but again, I realize what you are saying carries the weight of experience and truth. Thanks for the input thus far.

Ed

If there is bloatware in your Exchange installation than you should really reevaluate how the software was installed. Exchange in and of itself is a very lean application. Are you running it as best practices suggest? What are your principle concerns with Exchange that would warrant your plan to get rid of it? Might want to look at upgrading your "legacy" network instead. :)

I have worked with all of the other major corporate mail players out there and for a medium to large business or even a small business that expects to grow, I wouldn't stray from Exchange at this point.

Lust for open source is no excuse, when you're an admin for a business you have to think what is best for that company. Not saying you aren't necessarily, just making a statement.

Initial_Reactor said:
The network here is legacy, so I would also like to stay in the realm of tried, tested and true.

Exchange is tried, tested and true compared to the other packages out there. Symantec works well with it for AV and Spam filtering purposes along with many other vendors.

Other software can give you basic email but if your users are currently using the calendaring, tasks, and Public Folders that Exchange provides and you take them away then you will have a mutiny on your hands.

It seems like you have had a bad experience with Exchange in the past. Exchange is generally a low maintenance solution but it can have its caveats. But anytime I have had problems I have found the info to fix it in the KB and the few times I was in a mission-critical server down scenario I called support and they got me back up and running.

If you have already spent the money for Exchange I would recommend continuing to use it.

well, we are basically fighting to keep what we have running, which is the school of thought I am from and in.

Yes, I've been burned by Exchange, as recently as this morning. It isn't currently a feasible solution for us to migrate a new exchange box in, although that idea is more appealing as the minutes tick by.

We don't use the public folders, scheduling, etc for this particular domain, just smtp/pop3. Since we own the license for Exchange, I am trying to make it work. For example, the edb went down over the weekend, now it's back up, however every box on that domain is now corrupt - due to the reconstruction, I assume.

I inherited this mess, and have my hands tied by my Director over what I can and can't do. So now, I'm trying to figure out how I can rebuild all of my email boxes via script, as it's tedious to do it by hand.

Or I could be wrong wrong wrong, and I don't deny that I'm currently in the middle of shit creek up to my chin, and the tide is rolling in.

/exhale

This might sound harsh... but it is. I'm speaking from a business perspective, so don't take it personally.

I think that if you're having trouble managing a single Exchange server, moving the entire thing over to "some other" email server that you've never used is an awful, awful idea.

Don't abandon a system you don't have the ability to manage in favor of another system you have even less ability to manage.

Well, I don't take that personally, and honestly, if I had deployed this ragtag server, I would've built it right. As it stands, I was given a list of options, and out of anger I decided to see what's available.

Admittedly, I am not an exchange guru (yet), however, I can set one up correctly. The current measure of my IT stamina is fixing the clusterfuck that I have on my hands.

I see your point, an appreciate the message fully, but we're beyond that now. :/

If anyone has any supportive suggestions of how to fix this issue, I'd love a PM.

postfix + courier + dspam + procmail

Pretty easy to set up for real unix accounts, YMMV on virtual users, but it's doable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back