Corsair TwinX1024-4400PT on A64 system

Dominat0r

2[H]4U
Hey guys, just picked up this ram to replacement my TCCD which isnt playing nice with my machine. I did notice the PT in the model number when i looked up some reviews. I have seen that Corsair recommends this ram is used with a INTEL system. However is anyone using it on their A64 system? Specs of my PC are in my sig.

I hoping for about 230-240fsb at 1T. I belive the chips on it are Hynix D5.

Thanks

Highlife said:
Hey guys, just picked up this ram to replacement my TCCD which isnt playing nice with my machine. I did notice the PT in the model number when i looked up some reviews. I have seen that Corsair recommends this ram is used with a INTEL system. However is anyone using it on their A64 system? Specs of my PC are in my sig.

Thanks
PT just means platinum heatspreaders.

TWINX1024-4400 or 4400PT should be a hynix part.
TWINX1024-4400C25 should be Samsung TCCD
TWINX2048-4400 or 4400PT should be Infineon revC

So there is no difference other then the heatspreader between the 4400 which is tested by corsair with AMD and the PT which is for INTEL setup?

Thanks for the help.

Highlife said:
So there is no difference other then the heatspreader between the 4400 which is tested by corsair with AMD and the PT which is for INTEL setup?

Thanks for the help.

Kind of a misnomer. The TWINX1024-4400 (and 4400PT) were both tested on an intel i875 platform because when they were released, there was no AMD platform that could run memory at 275 MHz. (AthlonXP days, when the A7N8X was strong)

On Athlon64-based systems, the memory should work fine at 275 MHz

Redbeard said:
Kind of a misnomer. The TWINX1024-4400 (and 4400PT) were both tested on an intel i875 platform because when they were released, there was no AMD platform that could run memory at 275 MHz. (AthlonXP days, when the A7N8X was strong)

Thank you very much for the info, was looking all over for it. Merry Christmas to you.

Redbeard said:

well, just what i was afraid of...i cannot get this ram to post on my machine past 218fsb with very very loose settings. 8-4-4-3 2t .....if i change it to anything else, machine reboots. This is getting 2.8v in bios.

Whats the deal with this and a64 systems?

Highlife said:
well, just what i was afraid of...i cannot get this ram to post on my machine past 218fsb with very very loose settings. 8-4-4-3 2t .....if i change it to anything else, machine reboots. This is getting 2.8v in bios.

Whats the deal with this and a64 systems?

Drop the HT multiplier to 4x

Redbeard said:
Drop the HT multiplier to 4x

its at 3x right now....which is 936 on the htt, should i go higher?

Divider is at 140 on my DFI board which is 7/10 ...should put my ram around 218, wont go any higher at all. If i go up on divider to 150 which is 3/4 ...it wont even get to memtest...reboots before it has a chance to start.

Highlife said:
its at 3x right now....which is 936 on the htt, should i go higher?

Divider is at 140 on my DFI board which is 7/10 ...should put my ram around 218, wont go any higher at all. If i go up on divider to 150 which is 3/4 ...it wont even get to memtest...reboots before it has a chance to start.

Try it at 1:1 ratio to see if the memory overclocks that way, as well.

in fact, it wont even stay at 218, i just got a BSOD in windows with the settings VERY loose...

Let me be the first to say...THIS RAM doesnt work right with A64 + DFI . Ill let anyone test it and see. =(

FYI:
DFI street's recommended RAM thread lists Hynix chips in the 'stay away' category, so I'm guessing that others ran into troubles similar to yours. It seems to me like the only surefire bet for RAM on the DFI nF4 boards is Teamgroup. IIRC, Tankguys is the only place stateside to get it.

liveload said:
FYI:
DFI street's recommended RAM thread lists Hynix chips in the 'stay away' category, so I'm guessing that others ran into troubles similar to yours. It seems to me like the only surefire bet for RAM on the DFI nF4 boards is Teamgroup. IIRC, Tankguys is the only place stateside to get it.

Which is prob why Corsair recommends this with Intel system.

OHHH christ...now im stuck =(

Damn. Sorry bro. Wish I woulda seen this thread earlier. :(

Is it too late to return it for exchange/refund?
If so, you might be able to offload the stuff in the FS/T forum.

liveload said:
FYI:

Jesus, do they write your paycheck or something?

I've used stuff from Corsair and G.Skill on that board no problem at all. In fact, I'd wager that the vast majority of people with the Lanparty NF4 boards aren't using Teamgroup at all.

liveload said:
Damn. Sorry bro. Wish I woulda seen this thread earlier. :(

Is it too late to return it for exchange/refund?
If so, you might be able to offload the stuff in the FS/T forum.

i got it from the forums...got it today in the mail. I should of known better....i didnt think it would be a problem...now i can barely run it at 200 without getting BSODs in windows. I know my TCCD for sure DID NOT do this.....since i sold my old ram already...im completely stuck...ARRGGGGG ...since it was just christmas...im broke...so i would have to be witout a machine for a few days till i sell my old ram and buy new stuff.

FFS ....got to be the worst christmas EVER!!!!

Highlife said:
Which is prob why Corsair recommends this with Intel system.

OHHH christ...now im stuck =(

I said already, Corsair recommended Intel with these modules because when we released them, nothing else would do 275 MHz FSB reliably. At all. These modules were discontinued in mid-2004, if I remember right. Eventually they were replaced with the TWINX1024-4400C25 which were Samsung TCCD based. Which were, in turn, replaced with TWINX2048-4400PRO which was Infineon RevC based.

I really don't know what the issue you're having is, but if you think the memory is bad, we'll RMA it no problem.

The thing is, 218 is a bizarre stopping point, usually that's where we'd see some MSI boards lock up because of the HT issues.

I'm not entirely sure it's the memory, and I just want you to get this working as fast as possible. If you RMA the modules and the same thing happens, you wasted time for no reason at all.

Here's some things to try, one at a time:

Change latencies to 3-3-3-8

Change tRC to 10-15

Change command rate to 2T

Bump HT voltage and Chipset voltage slightly

Make sure the multiplier on your processor is at least 8x, 7x and lower will sometimes incorrectly display the speed of both the memory and the processor on that board.

Try the other two slots (orange vs. yellow)

I hope some of this stuff works, if not, we'll be glad to RMA the modules, but let's see if we can get them working beforehand.

Thanks for the info, im going to try this out and see....will corsair still take it back if the HS are changed? I didnt get the others with them, just new copper ones thats on there.

I have tried both ram slots, Yellow and Orange..the ram is at 8-4-4-3 2t with 2.8v

Also the reason why its i say it stops at 218 is that all my ram dividers let me go to. So if i go to 3/4 my ram goes to 235. If i go below it sets the ram to 200...so basically with my FSB at 312...i can do 312-270-235-218-200 with the dividers. 312 being a 1:1

Highlife said:
Thanks for the info, im going to try this out and see....will corsair still take it back if the HS are changed? I didnt get the others with them, just new copper ones thats on there.

I have tried both ram slots, Yellow and Orange..the ram is at 8-4-4-3 2t with 2.8v

Also the reason why its i say it stops at 218 is that all my ram dividers let me go to. So if i go to 3/4 my ram goes to 235. If i go below it sets the ram to 200...so basically with my FSB at 312...i can do 312-270-235-218-200 with the dividers. 312 being a 1:1

If somebody took the heatsinks off, the warranty is voided, I'm afraid. This might actually be part of the problem.

What CPU are you using and what's your CPU multiplier?

Redbeard said:
If somebody took the heatsinks off, the warranty is voided, I'm afraid. This might actually be part of the problem.

What CPU are you using and what's your CPU multiplier?

specs are in my sig...i bought it used on the forums here =(

I have a opty 144 and its a 9x multi

Highlife said:

The Corsair TWINX1024-4400C25PT worked in my current system (details in sig) @ 272 FSB @ 2.5-4-4-8-1T @ 2.70 volts without any problems.

I just bought a GeIL Ultra-X550 1GB Kit (because I could not find another set of the Corsair TWINX1024-4400C25PT anywhere) and was hoping it would play nice with the Corsair memory, but I could not get them to work together any higher than 250 FSB. So, I kept the GeIL which runs @ 275 FSB @ 3-3-5-1T @ 2.70 volts on the same system. I should have known better than to try to mix brands, but it was worth a try cause I can't find another set of the GeIL either. Looks like I am stuck with just one Gig until my next upgrade (Quad/PCI-e2) cause all the good PC4400 seem to be gone.

I guess I'll put the Corsair memory in my wife's computer (Sempron64 2800 with Corsair Value Memory) cause I know what the memory can do.

nvpx said:
The Corsair TWINX1024-4400C25PT worked in my current system (details in sig) @ 272 FSB @ 2.5-4-4-8-1T @ 2.70 volts without any problems.

I just bought a GeIL Ultra-X550 1GB Kit (because I could not find another set of the Corsair TWINX1024-4400C25PT anywhere) and was hoping it would play nice with the Corsair memory, but I could not get them to work together any higher than 250 FSB. So, I kept the GeIL which runs @ 275 FSB @ 3-3-5-1T @ 2.70 volts on the same system. I should have know better than to try to mix brands, but it was worth a try cause I can't find another set of the GeIL either. Looks like I am stuck with just one Gig until my next upgrade (Quad/PCI-e2) cause all the good PC4400 is gone.

I guess I'll put the Corsair memory in my wife's computer (Sempron64 2800 with Corsair Value Memory) cause I know what the memory can do.

The C25 is TCCD chips btw...the PT is Hynix D5....i wish i got the C25..=(

Only review with the athlon 64 and my ram was here. It pretty much shows the exact problem i was having....arrgg well i put it up for trade in for sale forums. I guess ill look for some TCCD or some BH5...i think i can get my hands on the BH5...not sure.

Highlife said:
The C25 is TCCD chips btw...the PT is Hynix D5....i wish i got the C25..=(

Only review with the athlon 64 and my ram was here. It pretty much shows the exact problem i was having....arrgg well i put it up for trade in for sale forums. I guess ill look for some TCCD or some BH5...i think i can get my hands on the BH5...not sure.

Good luck, let me know if you come across another set of the GeIL Ultra-X550 (GLX1GB4400DC) 1GB Kit Retail while you are searching.

Back