Going X-Water Cooling (mineral-oil with nitrogen pellets 24-7) Check the project out!

Serge84

Gawd
Now its time for me to go water cooling for my rig. I know what I'm going to get as I was shown last time but I'm going a way thats phase like and very cheap for life expectency reductions with the use of nitrogen pellets on the pump, the most expencive thing will be a pump only 60 bucks each. The pump will last about half as long, I know. And I'm getting very small parts so everything will fit in to my case. High quality pump most of what i'm going to get is from Swiftech. 3/8 tubes etc. Its cooling ability will come from the nitrogen pellets so I'm not worried about radiator cooling capability. Will use a small water tank as well for the oil. All sealed tight.

My cus and I are also doing a PC oil tank with a crappy system with the same setup of liquid and pellets, so look for that too. I'll post pics soon as I can. Its about a month project so ya know.

This is sipose to be extreme cooling at a cost effective price. In all it will only be $120. Mineral oil with nitrogen pellets are cheap as well to constently get. Much better then water cooling cus everything will be at around -60C sub zero liquid yet still a liquid because your pushing the oil around and the nitrogen reacts with the oil in a way where it freezes in a liquid state still. lol Awesome stuff eh! Well time to start. Phase for almost nothing.

Sounds interesting.

How long does a few nitrogen pellets last?

Make sure you both INSULATE and use reinforced tubing. Anything under -10 and regular tubing hardens up, eventually cracks.

Arcygenical said:
Sounds interesting.

How long does a few nitrogen pellets last?

Make sure you both INSULATE and use reinforced tubing. Anything under -10 and regular tubing hardens up, eventually cracks.

Not sure, my cus knows tho. Seems a decent amount of time since hes planing on using them 24/7.

Yeah since you mensioned it, I'm actouly having trouble finding that, would you know where I could insulated and reinforced tubing is?

Update:Bought radiator!

Why are you using a radiator?

The radiator would just suck the heat from the air, and place it in the loop.

Anything that's colder than ambient air is going to get WARMER in open air...

As for the Tubing, Home Depot sells it... Look for the kind with the white thread through it.

Arcygenical said:
Why are you using a radiator?

The radiator would just suck the heat from the air, and place it in the loop.

Anything that's colder than ambient air is going to get WARMER in open air...

As for the Tubing, Home Depot sells it... Look for the kind with the white thread through it.

Backup cooling unit for the oil just incase I happen to run out of nitrogen pellets, always smart to have it working as a normal water cooler just in case. Besides the radiator is going to be covered in frost and very cold to begin with, normal oil pc tanks are exposed to air in some way. If not, the bubbles will create pressure and that wouldn't be good. The thing needs to breath a little.

mmm, Ok...

Oil's got a terrible specific heat capacity though, just FYI.

About 1.75 KJ/KG * K

Whereas water has 4.1.

A lower specific heat only makes it more variable (higher highs, lower lows). As long as it's being actively cooled, it will stay the same temperature. Rate of heat transfer is a different animal though (higher rate = cooler processor)

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I haven't touched that stuff in a while.

Talonz said:
A lower specific heat only makes it more variable (higher highs, lower lows). As long as it's being actively cooled, it will stay the same temperature. Rate of heat transfer is a different animal though (higher rate = cooler processor)

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I haven't touched that stuff in a while.

No, that's exactly what I meant... Oil has a lower heat transfer AND specific heat capacity...

I just don't know the forumula for heat transfer ;)

Put a slot pentium 3, working board into a fish tank, and filled it with 4 gal of veg oil. Been on for 24hours now at 104F full load at 500mhz. Will load XP on to it tonight. Will post pics of it later. Everything works perfectly. I may do some OCing on it if clockgen can see it or some kind of OCing program. Normal temps on air are 60C/70C+ just to show how good this oil is. No nitrogen pellets where used oviously yet. Having trouble finding them...

Mineral Oil would be better but more expencive. My cus will make a tower out of a smaller fish tank and use it as a primary once we get nitrogen pellets tho alone it would work very well.

Back