Card to go with the HD555, XFI?

Grentz

Fully [H]
I am looking at purchasing some Senn HD555 headphones.

I would prefer not to use a dedicated amp and try and use a feed direct out of my PC to drive them.

Currently I use integrated sound on the P5B-E (it works decent, is 7.1, and even has optical outs built in).

I was thinking though should I move to an XFI or something similar?
I do play BF2 and 2142 quite a bit (which can use XFI).
I would probably be looking at the Xtreme Music, does this still work with the enhancements in BF2? (as it does not have the "X-Ram").

Also, I have heard all these mixed reviews, can I use the XFI with just the drivers and still be able to configure things? (for my current onboard it has a SoundMax console to configure the surround, optical, etc.)

I am really just wondering if I should move to an XFI to drive my 4.1 Surround Sound (Quad) and HD555 headphones. Or is there something better for doing this or should i stick with what I have? The XFI worries me a bit with its odd ball problems and such, but it sounds like some get really good results out of it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

i currently have hd595 and x-fi XM pretty good set-up only issue is has are the drivers will not work all the time. ****don't mix the x-fi series with ASUS boards****

awesome as I have an ASUS board :rolleyes:

So whats a good alternative? I liked the price of $63 for the XFI XM at amazon, but I am really not one that likes screwed up drivers and it sounds like the XFI is just full of them (even the updated ones).

I was looking at this as well:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829156001

Would that be a large upgrade from the ASUS P5B-E HD onboard audio? XFI Better, worse, etc.?

I wouldn't pay much mind to the comment about the X-Fi cards and ASUS boards. I personally use the combo and I have never had an issue with the drivers, even betas. I don't know where he got the idea in his head - probably his own experience but there are a lot of X-Fi users with ASUS boards without issues.

I have the X-Plosion and the XtremeMusic, for headphones, I think that both of them are about equal but XtremeMusic has a stronger bass. I think the X-Fi is the better choice between those two because you can also use the X-Fi for games. If you are willing to pay more, I would highly recommend the X-Meridian for headphones. On my HD-595, it makes my X-Fi sounds very cheap, the X-Fi is no where near the X-Meridian on my HD-595. With my Z-5400 however, the difference is still there but it is not a $100 difference then again my speaker is not qualified for a $180 sound card.

I ahve both an Xfi and the HD555's. Mine sound really great with BF2. Hell they just sound great. I do from time to time have to remove it from game mode because of the clicking. I can only assume that it is because I have an ASUS board but don't get me lying.

So it looks like I am back to the XFI XM.

I have heard the software absolutly sucks. Can you get by without using the software? (only use drivers) or is the software necessary?

That is not a rare case though as it is everywhere how the software messes up or slows down machines it seems like.

I have an ASUS board, X-Fi XM and HD 555s and I never had any driver trouble. And I always have trouble with sound, but the X-Fi was very easy to set up and get working.

Well, I just sprung for it...XFI Xtreme Music and HD555

Not a bad deal from amazon, the HD555 was $94 and the XFI $63 AR. I dont think i have ever lucked out where the two best deals were from the same place :p (except for newegg sometimes I guess ;) )

I will let you know how they sound!

Grentz said:
Awesome, I think i may do the xtreme gamer with the HD555s.

Yes and don't believe that crap about the Drivers. I used the X-Fi with an Asus A8N SLI/3500+. It took 2 BIOS flashes but the problems went away. That Rig still has an Audigy 2ZS currently installed with ZERO problems. In fact, its the most stable AMD based rig I've ever owned:) It just doesn't like Overclocking LOL!

I tested all of the drivers and apps and had no problems. All you really need is the small, very clean, and sweet Audio console. Next the THX console is helpful. On my E6600+ though, I loaded to whole load of crap and the E6600 deals with it with ease. In other words, it seems sluggish on my other rigs, it runs like a Bat out of hell on the Conroe.

Sounds awesome.

I just got my buttkicker and it is awesome, cant wait to get the HD555 and XFI on friday :)

I also have a conroe so should have no issues hopefully with the software :)

Good combo :cool: You shouldn't have any software issues. Try just downloading the latest drivers from the Creative site first (after installing the card), as the drivers come with the Audio Console.

I got that same combo from Amazon for Christmas. I also have an Asus Mobo and had zero issues. The sound I get from gaming is now .... well ... spooky! I play some FPS games (Doom3, Quake4) and some MMO games (WoW, DAoC) and Holy Cow Batman! What a difference from my onboard Asus sound with my Senn 130 Headset. You will most definatly love the upgrade.

Smitty2k1 said:
I have HD555's
I have X-Fi
I am in love.

Find an Headphone AMP, I had to hear one before I became a believer:) Now there's something else I want to spend money on Damit! :mad:

Donnie27 said:
Find an Headphone AMP, I had to hear one before I became a believer:) Now there's something else I want to spend money on Damit! :mad:
Did you hear the 555 on the amp?

Donnie27 said:
Which amp would you recommend and how much will it cost?

Pinipig523 said:
Did you hear the 555 on the amp?

He has 555 and 595's so pissed off that I liked it, proving MisterX right that I didn't bother looking at it. I think it was a Home or Hand made kit :mad: I'll try to call and ask him. I was getting ready to ask you guys which is a good affordable one to buy? I have little patience and or not enough skill to try to build one:)

alg7_munif said:
Which amp would you recommend and how much will it cost?

I can't recommend one and I'm looking for the same info. I hadn't it taken serious until recently. Both sound better with HP Amps.

I might not be all that impressed by the X-Meridian but I do wish I had a set of those 595's you have. I tested a set on my old H/K. It's main AMP is shot, but the Headphone section still works perfectly. It has enough power to destroy your hearing in about 20 secs LOL!

Donnie27 said:
I do wish I had a set of those 595's you have. I tested a set on my old H/K. It's main AMP is shot, but the Headphone section still works perfectly. It has enough power to destroy your hearing in about 20 secs LOL!
I wish I had a proper HT setup, not that the headphones is bad but I'm not the kind of guy that can have something on my head and around my ears for hours. It has enough power to destroy my hearing but I would like to have something that can take the whole house together with my hearing, the HD-595 shakes my head but I prefer something that can shakes the wall as well :p . Even the best headphones sounds cheap if you are not wearing them lol.

alg7_munif said:
I wish I had a proper HT setup, not that the headphones is bad but I'm not the kind of guy that can have something on my head and around my ears for hours. It has enough power to destroy my hearing but I would like to have something that can take the whole house together with my hearing, the HD-595 shakes my head but I prefer something that can shakes the wall as well :p . Even the best headphones sounds cheap if you are not wearing them lol.

Yes that receiver is from bygone era before consumers started to win lawsuits over hearing loss.;) I never played it that loud but even at lower volumes you hear the fullness and ambiance as it was meant to be heard.

Example, you can add bass and even when you can bearly hear it, you can feel the rumble. Or even at the point of ZERO hiss, you can still have Jimi's guitar give you Goose bumps. Here, the 595s out did the 555's and I'd easily pay more for them. They'll have to wait until after my receiver though.

Gotta love the old power crazed receivers :)

I have a yamaha that is the same way. It is only rated to like 300watts (in the times before everyone cared so much about watts :rolleyes: ) yet it can blow your mind at about 1/3 volume

Grentz said:
Gotta love the old power crazed receivers :)

I have a yamaha that is the same way. It is only rated to like 300watts (in the times before everyone cared so much about watts :rolleyes: ) yet it can blow your mind at about 1/3 volume

You got that right! That old Harmon Kardon is a model 730 Twin Power Receiver. Geesh it's heavy!

What amp to get depends on your budget. I'm reading at Headfi that the Heed CanAmp is the best in it's price range right now ($340.00) but they are out of supply right now so you would have to wait for them to come in stock again. The Gilmore Lite ($300.00) is supposed to be very good too but not as good as the Heed CanAmp. A good choice for a decent amp with it's own USB DAC is the Corda Aria ($460.00). For tube amps the X-Can v3 is supposed to be very nice ($400.00). There are others but from my research these are the amps I am considering.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/index.htm

http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/lite/index.htm

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AMUFIXCANV3&ref=TS

http://p7.hostingprod.com/@blackbirdaudio.com/heed.htm

Back