Trying to share folders problem on two computers

msny

2[H]4U
My wife gave me a nice photo printer for xmas.
Both computers (see sig) have lots of digital photos I want to share and print.
I've had the 2 computers for a long while but never
bothered to connect them for sharing until now. I'm a total
novice at networking.

I have setup a simple workgroup on both machines with the same name
"myshare". I then setup several folder shares on both computers, giving change
permissions. File and print sharing are installed on both systems. NetBios for
TCP/IP is set.

I can see the workgroup name under network places but when I try to connect from the
desktop system to my shuttle I'm prompted to use a guest account login? Not
sure why.

When I try to go from the Shuttle to the desktop system it says I
don't have permisson at all.

I've disabled windows firewall and my trend micro virus software on both systems
and the same issues persist.

Also, I cannot ping from either machine, they timeout. Both machines are winXP pro SP2
with latest updates.

So what is the best starting point to troubleshoot this issue to resolve it?

I'm guessing you have XP Home?

If you have Pro:

Sounds like you set the share permissions correctly (from the share tab) but not the ntfs permissions (from the security tab). You need to add either the everyone group or the user account you are using to log into the computer from over the network to the list of groups on the security tab (which might require you to add the account to the local computer). Once added, set the permissions appropriately and use that account to log in from over the network or, if the passwords and accounts are the same, it will autologin.

Comprende?

Using XP Pro on both machines as stated in first post.
I should also note that both boxes are wired to a
Linksys router which goes into my cable modem.

The desktop system has the routing software installed.
The shuttle has the photo printer I want to share. Both
have digital photos.

I'll give granting user permissions a go on both machines
and let you know. I guess I assumed that a common workgroup
was all that was required along with sharing.

What is best practice for granting user permissions between the
systems? I don't want to overstep and allow anyone in.

Any other suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Have you tried to make your user names and passwords the same on each computer? Someone told me to do that when I had similar problems and it seemed work. Try it out. What do you have to lose?
Happy New Year and good luck...

msny said:
What is best practice for granting user permissions between the
systems? I don't want to overstep and allow anyone in.

You can only put the user who you want to connect or you can put "authenticated user" so that they have to have an account and login to access the share.

But having the same user with the same password on both machines is probably the easiest route to go.

Something is still not working. Very frustating, I didn't think this was such a big
deal to do.

I've rebooted both computers to start fresh.

On the desktop computer NN shows both computers.
When I click on the shuttle it says I don't have permissions.
No prompt now for any login. I have a profile with the same names
and passwords on both computers.

On the shuttle computer it only sees itself and not the desktop computer at all.

I set folders unchecked to "simple file sharing". I still cannot ping from either box.

Whats next?

Don't you have to "check" for simple file sharing to be on?

No ping means a firewall most likely. Check your firewalls again. Don't just disable, exit out completely from their programs.

If I do check for "simple file sharing" then XP will not allow
specific user permissions, this is under My computer >
Tools > Folder options > View last one in the list.
I did NOT see anything about this in the guide below.

I'm not sure if checked or unchecked is correct. Currently I have it
checked.

I exited out of the virus software completly and shut off firewalls
on both systems.

I'm following this guide here but no joy.
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

I'm close to giving up.

can you ping each other now with firewalls off? I have lots of shares but all my computers have login and passwords too. I just click simple file sharing and allow network users to change my files.

Can you do a start run \\computername\share from either pc. Sometimes they dont show up on the domain.

both computers have different names but the same workgroup right? Does the linksys show both computers in its dhcp page?

fireburster said:
can you ping each other now with firewalls off? I have lots of shares but all my computers have login and passwords too. I just click simple file sharing and allow network users to change my files.

Can you do a start run \\computername\share from either pc. Sometimes they dont show up on the domain.

both computers have different names but the same workgroup right? Does the linksys show both computers in its dhcp page?

If I shutoff all firewalls and exit trend micro 2007 on both systems I can ping
now from each system to the other. Both computers are set to direct
connections to the internet using the router. (I assume this is OK)

Both systems are in the same workgroup.

NN on the Shuttle says I have no permission message
to even look at the computers there when I try to open it?
NN on the Desktop opens but only shows itself?

Running the share(s) as a command in the run box DOES work
from either system.

I checked the DHCP in the router and its set to autoconfigure starting
with the correct IP address and there are no restrictions I can see.

This is baffling.

try this:

start>run>\\computername

So say the computer name is Shuttle.

You type in run, \\Shuttle
and a window should pop up with shared printers and folders on that machine.

AMD RULES said:
try this:

start>run>\\computername

So say the computer name is Shuttle.

You type in run, \\Shuttle
and a window should pop up with shared printers and folders on that machine.

Yes, that works now from either box but ONLY from command line.
Point n' click windows no go as I've stated above.

So, it's the Trend Micro software I assume and its firewall?

I had so many problems with this back in the day that I flagged it and got myself some Server 2003 infrastructure with Active Directory so I wouldn't have to put up with it (so I feel your pain).

I'll suggest what has already been said and more:

1) Turn off anything that looks remotely like a firewall

2) If simple file sharing is on, making sure both computers have identical accounts (or not, it helps) - go to share something through the sharing tab under a folder/drive's properties and click the underlined messages till something meaningful happens (you've done this, it seems)

If it is not on, sharing becomes complicated: the NTFS permissions and Sharing permissions of any given share must be READ atleast, to allow someone to browse. To make things less painful set everything to full control and give the folder NTFS Full Control permission for the Everyone group (tighten security later).

3) If all else fails, do what I did for a while - map a drive. This is easiest with simple file sharing OFF.

at the run menu or at a command prompt:

net use drive_letter: \\other_pc_name\share_name password /USER:other_pc_name\username

so, for an account called ROFL whose password is LMAO on the Shuttle PC, to map drive k: to a share called ASHARE drive you could do:

net use k: \\shuttle\ASHARE LMAO /USER:shuttle\ROFL

Neat trick: XP pro has a default share for each hard drive (without you having to tweak anything) referenced by the drive letter + $. So, without creating any shares or anything and with simple file sharing off, you could do:

net use k: \\shuttle\c$ LMAO /USER:shuttle\ROFL

Growly said:
I had so many problems with this back in the day that I flagged it and got myself some Server 2003 infrastructure with Active Directory so I wouldn't have to put up with it (so I feel your pain).

I'll suggest what has already been said and more:

1) Turn off anything that looks remotely like a firewall

2) If simple file sharing is on, making sure both computers have identical accounts (or not, it helps) - go to share something through the sharing tab under a folder/drive's properties and click the underlined messages till something meaningful happens (you've done this, it seems)

If it is not on, sharing becomes complicated: the NTFS permissions and Sharing permissions of any given share must be READ atleast, to allow someone to browse. To make things less painful set everything to full control and give the folder NTFS Full Control permission for the Everyone group (tighten security later).

3) If all else fails, do what I did for a while - map a drive. This is easiest with simple file sharing OFF.

at the run menu or at a command prompt:

net use drive_letter: \\other_pc_name\share_name password /USER:other_pc_name\username

so, for an account called ROFL whose password is LMAO on the Shuttle PC, to map drive k: to a share called ASHARE drive you could do:

net use k: \\shuttle\ASHARE LMAO /USER:shuttle\ROFL

Neat trick: XP pro has a default share for each hard drive (without you having to tweak anything) referenced by the drive letter + $. So, without creating any shares or anything and with simple file sharing off, you could do:

net use k: \\shuttle\c$ LMAO /USER:shuttle\ROFL

Thanks for the suggestions. I will review and try them.

I am able to now keep trend mico running and just turn off its firewall.
Doing this I can connect using the run box.

My question now is if it is safe to turn off the firewalls on both computers?
I'm afraid of hackers ect.

msny said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I will review and try them.

I am able to now keep trend mico running and just turn off its firewall.
Doing this I can connect using the run box.

My question now is if it is safe to turn off the firewalls on both computers?
I'm afraid of hackers ect.
If you are behind a firewall/router, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Else, buy a router ;)

protias said:
If you are behind a firewall/router, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Else, buy a router ;)

I am behind a WRT54G Linksys router.
Not to be redundant with my question, but is this an adequate
substitute for either the windows/trend micro firewall??

Any thought appreciated.

msny said:

Any thought appreciated.

Well the router will do what you asked, it will stop hackers from coming in. But the firewall on your computer will stop attempts going out from your computer, like possible spyware or viruses/trojans that you sometimes don't download but those that wind up auto-downloaded to your computer trying to connect out.

Clear as mud?

msny said:

Any thought appreciated.
You should be fine. Not to worry you, but also keep your head on straight when visiting unknown sites so you don't get hijacked. Yes, it is still possible to get hacked, but I wouldn't worry too much about it since you are behind the router.

Back