anyone professionally (sypder, etc) calibrate their Westy 37"? Settings?

Sorry, first off I KNOW there is a HUGE westinghouse thread, and I dont really want to have to search through all the pages to find something relevant. I DID search, and AM googling it as we speak.

Just checking to see if anyone has professionally calibrated their westy 37". Ive noticed that my colors MAY not be accutate (a couple sites I've designed look different on my brothers laptop/dad's pc... just wanted to see if it was on MY end or THEIRS.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

These are the settings I used to calibrate. You may want to up the backlight and contrast during gaming... but these settings should be close to ideal for reading, movies, and color work. Proper settings for yours may vary.

Black point (all colors) raised to .10, green midtone input .48 -> output .52

Westy menu settings:
Brightness 42
Contrast 47
Sat 60
Hue 0
Color Temp Normal
Sharpness 0
Aspect Standard
Backlight 20

Westy_Calibration.png

Why does everyone set their backlight so low? I cranked it up to 100. It looks awesome.

I increase it for gaming sometimes... the whites are simply too brilliant with it higher unless your panel is in direct sunlight. With the backlight that high, you also turn the westys already poor black level into a horrible black level.

Ah, yeah... I forget sometimes that this is a TV. My primary use is PC, 360, PS3, and Wii gaming. I can totally see why people would turn it down to watch a movie.

Turning down the backlight prolongs the life of the monitor, doesn't it? I have it set to 0 and I'm fine with it. If you wait for a few days it'll still seem bright.

Ryom said:
These are the settings I used to calibrate. You may want to up the backlight and contrast during gaming... but these settings should be close to ideal for reading, movies, and color work. Proper settings for yours may vary.

Westy menu settings:
Brightness 42
Contrast 47
Sat 60
Hue 0
Color Temp Normal
Sharpness 0
Aspect Standard
Backlight 20

Westy_Calibration.png
Wow, this really makes the blacks look nice.

had to bump this. great work Ryom, really makes the monitor better!

Has anyone found any better settings than this?

This is pretty good though, thanks.

Westy menu settings:
Brightness 42
Contrast 47
Sat 60
Hue 0
Color Temp Normal
Sharpness 0
Aspect Standard
Backlight 20

Westy_Calibration.png

Would you mind doing a step by step as I cant seem to get those settings to stick?/Much appreciated

Select apply to all from the drop down, and once you make the changes they should stay at the new settings even if you don't save the profile... I think! You can try saving the profile and then reverting to default, loading the saved profile, apply it, and then reboot and see if it sticks.

If it doesn't stay; do you have software loaded that could be resetting or overriding your video settings? Calibration software (adobe gamma), etc?

Didn't have any professional to set up mine, but I use the THX Optimizer from some of my DVD movies to calibrate the LCD, here's my setting:

Brightness: 52
Contrast: 55
Saturation: 60
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 0
Backlight: 0

firmware: 1.0
videocard: ATI X1900XTX

During day time when my room is too bright I would turn up the Backlight to 10 or 20, the rest of the setting remain the same when I play game, watch movie, web browsing, or photoshop.

Bravo to you sir. Thanks for this information. I can see quite a bit of difference in the picture quality already with those few tweaks. Thanks for the video, made it SUPER easy :)

By the way, which program/hardware did you use to get these results?

Thanks again!! :D

Thanx..Dont know if its a glitch in th 8800 drivers but while Im adjusting I can see the difference but when I reboot the changes are gone..Thanx again,Ill check out the vid..
I have having the same issue. Are you running Vista by any chance?

I did the green channel adjustment to negate a slight color cast. If you don't notice a cast, or have a newer firmware, I'd recommend skipping the green channel adjustment in the walkthrough.

bump for a useful thread :)

The latest Nvidia drivers have a new control panel and it seems things are totally different from whats above. Can somebody post ideal gaming settings for the latest Nvidia drivers with the new control panel?

The new control panel hides the needed adjustment panel behind a tab. See the screenshot below for reference. After you access the "Graph" tab, the procedure is the same as for the old control panel. Also, it seems that the adjustments now also apply to overlayed video with my 8800gts and the new control panel... no more adjusting the screen when playing DVDs or using BeyondTV for OTA HD, I'm in heaven!

Justinkoko: The settings are not permanent once set, nor is there a chance to damage your screen. Give them a shot, and if you don't feel they improve your experience you've lost less than 5 minutes of your time... all you have to do to revert is go to the driver and panel menus and reset to defaults :)

I will restate that most people probably shouldn't adjust the color channels separately like I did unless they specifically notice a color cast on things that should be neutral gray (be certain it isn't captured that way in the source!).

nvidia_newcontrolpanel_curves.png

The new control panel hides the needed adjustment panel behind a tab. See the screenshot below for reference. After you access the "Graph" tab, the procedure is the same as for the old control panel. Also, it seems that the adjustments now also apply to overlayed video with my 8800gts and the new control panel... no more adjusting the screen when playing DVDs or using BeyondTV for OTA HD, I'm in heaven!

Justinkoko: The settings are not permanent once set, nor is there a chance to damage your screen. Give them a shot, and if you don't feel they improve your experience you've lost less than 5 minutes of your time... all you have to do to revert is go to the driver and panel menus and reset to defaults :)

I will restate that most people probably shouldn't adjust the color channels separately like I did unless they specifically notice a color cast on things that should be neutral gray (be certain it isn't captured that way in the source!).

nvidia_newcontrolpanel_curves.png

ryom...i just recently installed vista with nvidia's latest driver..

i can't for the love of god find that panel you posted above...

how do i get to that setting? all i see is "sliders tab" with no "graph" tab

not to mention "performance" "system stability" etc etc..

all i have are

"3d setting"
"display"
"video and tv"

I have a performance and storage section because I have a nvidia motherboard chipset. If your motherboard does not use a nvidia chipset, you won't see those options.

I have XP installed, and I am unfamiliar with the vista driver options. However, I would look for an advanced button and checkmark 'enable advanced settings' and this may make the graph tab accessible. You can see the advanced settings drop down menu in the navigation bar at the top of the nvidia control panel, or simply select View->Advanced in the menu bar above the navigation bar.

nvidia-cp_advanced.png

I have a performance and storage section because I have a nvidia motherboard chipset. If your motherboard does not use a nvidia chipset, you won't see those options.

I have XP installed, and I am unfamiliar with the vista driver options. However, I would look for an advanced button and checkmark 'enable advanced settings' and this may make the graph tab accessible. You can see the advanced settings drop down menu in the navigation bar at the top of the nvidia control panel, or simply select View->Advanced in the menu bar above the navigation bar.

nvidia-cp_advanced.png

thanks ryom..

it seems like that graph "tab" option is unavailable on VISTA driver..

yes i had it on advanced setting all the time..

nvidia...needs to get their act up on drivers...sigh...*goes back to XP*

...... it seems like that graph "Tab" option is unavailable on VISTA driv.......sigh.....*goes back to XP*
Another Vista "gotcha" ? Sorry to hear that.
hmm, maybe I'll take advice of tekky who builds PC game-rigs in my town (...."if you're a gamer stick with XP").

Okay I wanted to contribute to this thread because I do graphic design and own a hardware calibration unit which i tried on this display. I attempted to calibrate with the eye one 2 display.

Here's the bad news , this monitor does not respond well to hardware calibration. With the backlight set to zero , the monitor seemed to resemble my calibrated design display with the exception blacks, they looked washed out and grey. This is unacceptable for movie watching. I went ahead and cranked up the backlight to 100%. The results were much better but still not even close to the tones of my pc monitor and a properly tuned television display. I tried various combinations with different luminance levels and was not satisfied.

The good news is I managed to get this display in tune by manually adjusting a combination of TV and nvidia display panel settings. To anyone wishing to replicate my results they are as follows. Please note i am using a DVI connection and playback using Overlay not VMR9. If you decide to use these settings, be sure to allow your TV to warm up at least 15 minutes before you judge how they work.

The settings on my TV are as follows:

Backlight : 52
Contrast: 60
Saturation: 45
Hue: 3
Color Temp: Warm
Sharpnes: 0 ( not applicable in dvi)
Aspect Ratio: Standard
Backlight: 0 ( flick between 0 and 20 , if you want lighter midtones and depending on room brightness)

The following settings are in the NVIDIA control panel and are crucial to making the above settings work. You must have BOTH setup.

Modify these settings but be carefull not to select apply color changes to all from the drop down menu .

Under color correction first pick the overlay tab with all channels selected:

Brightness 115%
Contrast 95%
Gamma 1.00

Then select Desktop and select:

Red channel

Brightness 94%
Contrast 84%
Gamma 1.00

Green channel

Brightness 94%
Contrast 84%
Gamma 1.00

Blue channel

Brightness 92%
Contrast 84%
Gamma 1.00

Optional: you might want to increase image sharpening a bit , looks nice with HD files, I have mine set to 7 ticks with the right arrow of the keyboard.

After you've done that click "Save as" and save your profile. You will be left with a calibration that has very rich blacks with good tonal rendition and accurate colors that are not oversaturated like most store displays. This calibration aims to correct movie and pc colors.

I realize some people use the curve but brightness and contrast do essentially the same thing. If you're just dragging end points and not modifying anything in between it does not require plotting the points on the curve.

images of the setup:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Brightness 115%
Contrast 95%
Gamma 1.00

Red channel

Brightness 94%
Contrast 84%
Gamma 1.00

Green channel

Brightness 94%
Contrast 84%
Gamma 1.00

Blue channel

Brightness 92%
Contrast 84%
Gamma 1.00

My Control Panel is similar to Ryom's pictured above. It doesn't look like the screenshots you posted. If I go to the section where Ryom posted about, with the graph, and I click on the area with All channels, Red, Green, Blue, etc, if I try to adjust Brightness, it only goes UP TO 100, whereas 100 appears to be in the middle on yours.

Can you suggest how I might modify your findings for my version of the control panel?

Thanks!

Since the contrast is the same for all channels, why not simply adjust the all channels contrast down to 84%, set the all channels brightness to 94%, and adjust only blue down by 2%. Three steps instead of 6.

...or does it undo the changes if you open the individual channels?

you can set it for all three channels then go back sure, im not sure on the vista control panel since i dont run it

Sorry to drag up old threads, but for the life of me, I cannot find anywhere I can actually change/set the individual color ramps in the Vista control panel....did they remove that function entirely?

Westy menu settings:
Brightness 42
Contrast 47
Sat 60
Hue 0
Color Temp Normal
Sharpness 0
Aspect Standard
Backlight 20

Westy_Calibration.png

Wow, Vista sucks in this respect. I am pretty happy with my current setup, but I wonder if it could be better.....

There is no option in vista to change the individual color ramps in/out :mad:

The settings on my TV are as follows:

Backlight : 52
Contrast: 60
Saturation: 45
Hue: 3
Color Temp: Warm
Sharpnes: 0 ( not applicable in dvi)
Aspect Ratio: Standard
Backlight: 0 ( flick between 0 and 20 , if you want lighter midtones and depending on room brightness)

The following settings are in the NVIDIA control panel and are crucial to making the above settings work. You must have BOTH setup.

Modify these settings but be carefull not to select apply color changes to all from the drop down menu .

Under color correction first pick the overlay tab with all channels selected:

Brightness 115%
Contrast 95%
Gamma 1.00

Red channel

Brightness 94%
Contrast 84%
Gamma 1.00

Green channel

Brightness 94%
Contrast 84%
Gamma 1.00

Blue channel

Brightness 92%
Contrast 84%
Gamma 1.00

Optional: you might want to increase image sharpening a bit , looks nice with HD files, I have mine set to 7 ticks with the right arrow of the keyboard.

Can somebody translate how to effect these settings in the Vista Control Panel?

Change the brightness slider to somewhere between 55% - 60% and that will have a similar effect to raising the black point to .10 in the graph. Don't worry about adjusting individual colors unless you specifically notice a color cast in your display.

I calibrated mine with a spyder pro :)
I set color temp to neutral, contrast brightness 50/50 backlight to 20 and let the spyder do the rest. Would I get better results bumping the contrast a noth and setting to warm before calbiration? I believe the devices asks you to start with neutral / brightness 50 contrast 50 then only adjust manualy if you have a problem seing some of the shades of grey. And it does the rest of the work for you.

Greatinvestment, made a HUGE difference on my laptop and Monitor at work.

Actualy the program recommends default backlight setting, before calibation however 80 is way too bright so this time Im trying 40 instead of 20. It also suggest default brightness but I bumped it up to 55 to make the boxes on te screen a bit more distinguishable. Maybe I will end up wiht better results this time.

Back