8800GTX Electronic Buzzing Noise

SolarX

n00b
I have a EVGA 680i Mobo, an OCZ 850w PSU. I bought a EVGA 8800GTX last week and everything works great, games are fantastic but there's one thing that's really bothering me, the card buzzes, it's not a fan noise, it's coming from one of the components on the card itself. In ATITool it makes a high pitched squeeling noise, in Oblivion it makes a raspy buzzing noise and this noise fluctuates depending on the load. It also only happens when there's a 3D application loaded.

So I took the card back to www.memoryexpress.com here in Calgary and got it replaced for a new EVGA, I tried that out and got the same whining noise, took it back and got another EVGA and found the same thing so I returned it and got an Asus 8800GTX, I thought that switching to a different brand would help out but this card is STILL making that buzzing noise. It's driving the hell out of me, my PC is really quiet so this whining noise is very noticable.

I searched on the EVGA forums and came across these links which describe EXACTLY what I'm experiencing,

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21294

and

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22445&SearchTerms=buzzing

This is the 4th 8800GTX that I'm trying out now, this is simply ludicrous that I'm experiencing it with no solution in sight.
To verify that the noise was indeed coming from my 8800GTX I popped it into a different computer that has never exhibited any trouble and low and behold there was the high pitched whining noise so I've boiled it down to my PC not being at fault.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? I kind of feel stupid taking the card back to the retailer for the 4th time to get a new one. But I can't accept a $750 that makes a highly audible and annoying buzzing noise when I'm playing games.

Has anyone ever experienced this/is experiencing it? I would really appreciate some help.

Maybe if you try listening more closely, you can determine more precisely which part the noise is coming from? I haven't had that problem with my 8800 GTX. And by part, I mean, on the video card itself -- maybe something is rattling as a result of how the card is placed in your case.

The card is very secure in its slot. This only occurs whenever I have a 3D application open. I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one that can hear this frequency.

I suspect that it's not the card exactly but something on your motherboard very near your card (which explains why you have heard it with four different cards).

I hear a whine or buzzing noise just as each test loads in 3DMark06. I will also get the noise if I run RTHDRIBL (D3D based demo used for stress testing) in its default 640x480 resolution. But the noise goes away at other resolutions.

I suspected originally that the noise was coming from the video card since 3D operations are what generate the noise. I haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet, but some listening this morning actually seemed to indicate that it could be the power supply or motherboard.

In one of those threads that you posted, one guy has discovered that it was his PSU rather than video card. So make sure you listen very carefully and truly isolate the noise to your video card.

You didn't read my post did you ;)

I tried all four cards in a system that is trouble-free and the same noise emitted.
I also put a different GFX card into my PC to verify that it wasn't another component like the PSU and I couldn't hear a thing so I'm happy to say my PC is 100%. It's definately the 8800GTX.

Doing some more searching on the net I've come across these additional links which provide more info on what's going on, check the .mp3 link for an example of what this noise sounds like.

http://www.nakijken.nl/marvin/noise.mp3

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-123277.html

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?referrerid=20037&t=123801

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=208804

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80617&page=10

http://mysite.verizon.net/warewind/labels/nVidia.html

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80617&page=10

So it looks as if I'm not the only person experiencing this. That makes me happier but still unsettled that such as expensive card is doing this.

Guess I'll have to wait for a new 8800GTX revision to come out and swop it out. How could this sort of thing pass-by Quality Control at Nvidia/Evga and Asus?!

nope ur not the only one here i RMA my card and did the same thing change the powersupply same thing, and this is unbliveable that you pay $650 (that what i payed) and get stuff like that :( all the cards that i tested on that system run great and they were 6600GT 7600GT 7800GT 7900GT and 7950GX2 all of them didnt have that noise.

Usually it is toroid inductors which can make buzzing noises. It could also be that the toroids on your PSU or mobo are making the noise (it can be difficult to detect where it is coming from, kinda like a cricket). The reason being is that the 8800gtx draws more power than whatever card you put in that didn't make the noise.

I have also noticed that ambient temps effect toroid noises.

I tried all four cards in a system that is trouble-free and the same noise emitted.
I also put a different GFX card into my PC to verify that it wasn't another component like the PSU and I couldn't hear a thing so I'm happy to say my PC is 100%. It's definately the 8800GTX.
I do not believe that you have proved "It's definately the 8800GTX" yet. You see, the 8800 GTX is a top of the line video card with very unique current draw during 3D usage. Taking a system (MB (motherboard), PSU and VC (video card)) and changing any component to a randomly selected alternate will produce very different results. So, if you pull out your 8800GTX and plug in a 7600GS, you may not get the buzzing but it still may not be the VC.

I have a 8800GTX and it runs flawlessly in every respect. From my experience, problems like you are describing are the results of a subpar or faulty PSU. If you are using anything less than a 500 watt PSU (I am using a Seasonic 650 watt PSU) then you are probably under-powering your 8800GTX. Try a top of the line PSU made from quality components (will cost about $150) and I'd be willing to say that the problem will disappear.

It just does not seem likely that four 8800GTX video cards could be faulty in exactly the same way. It just has to be something else. Please consider giving a replacement PSU a shot. Good luck!

What PSU were in the 2 systems? Also, do you have a sound card in there as well? If so what make/model?

I have an 8800GTS and in atitool i can hear a whine (not very loud - might be cause i have a p180). I don't hear it when playing oblivion or f.e.a.r. though -- only in atitool.

The card is not faulty in any respect, especially if you get the performance and stability from the card in normal/heavy use besides the noise. My X1900XTX does this and has done so from day 1 of installation which was Feb of 06 (launch of the card). I have never had an issue with the card even with it overclocked. Under ATItool artifact tester I get it real bad, other 3D apps I get it but yes it varies depending on game/load. I reinstalled painkiller for some old fun the other day and noticed my X1900XTX squealed like a pig on the menus of the game. I just turned the speakers up and away I went. The card never showed an issues despite the noise. I know many, many, many others have experienced this same noise and yes it has to do with some turroid or other power based component in your system, probably the card as it is repeatable in different, otherwise quiet systems before the card was installed. You know what? A lot of times these noises go away on their own as the card is used and worked in. I had an old DFI Lanparty NF-2 board that squealed much the same way out of the box. After a few weeks of use it got quieter and quieter before it eventually was gone altogether. If you can actually track down the EXACT location of the noise put your finger on it and watch the tone change or disappear altogether. Don't worry about the noise and just enjoy your beast of a card, really.

I seriously doubt FOUR GTX's in a row have a problem. It SOUNDS like a power supply cap squealing.....or a mobo cap....

The GTX and GTS to some extent can load a power supply pretty damn hard....I had a "approved" power supply with more than enough current ratings to handle a GTS, yet, it squealed and then crashed into overcurrent protection as soon as a hard load was applied...

I think the OP needs to check a bit more carefully.....

I sure did! :D I even commented on some of the links you provided. I was merely suggesting that it is unlikely that four video cards would have the same issue when others have found that the problem was cleared up upon replacing theirs. So, it would make sense for you to start considering other sources for the noise.

And, as others have pointed out, putting a non-8800gtx into your system changes too many factors to then definitively conclude (due to lack of noise) that the problem is definitely the video card. Power being drawn from both the PSU and the motherboard would be changed as well. . . thus leaving them (among other things) as suspects.

Regardless, I think some here (including me) are just cautioning you against "tunnel vision" here and urging you to consider other possibilities before you continue (perhaps fruitlessly) running down the "video card" angle. There is enough evidence here (especially your trying three other cards) to suggest other causes.

You know what? A lot of times these noises go away on their own as the card is used and worked in. I had an old DFI Lanparty NF-2 board that squealed much the same way out of the box. After a few weeks of use it got quieter and quieter before it eventually was gone altogether.
This is a very good point. Just as a test (since your VC has the noise whenever you run a 3D game) set your screensaver up to be one of the 3D Pipes (or the like) and let it run this screensaver all night while you are asleep. You could wake up to a quiet (or quieter) VC noise level. I may have misunderstood, but seems like it might be worth a one time attempt. If the noise is the same the next morning, give something else a shot.

Continued good luck!

It SOUNDS like a power supply cap squealing.....or a mobo cap....

I am pretty certain that capacitors are not the culprit and that toroid inductors are. I just don't see how a capacitor can make noise.

I too believe this to be a power supply issue. These card(s) are most likely drawing more power then other cards you may have tried in the past.

Caps do make noise, tends to be a high-pitched buzz/squeak but it happens. Usually means they have a bad solder joint. I have an old box acting as a server that does this, however since its not in my room I don't care to fix it.

I'll chime in and say that yes, a better PSU is something you really should consider first. I got a GTS and I was wondering about my PSU (NeoHE 500) so I asked eVGA. They say it should be fine, but I'm pushing it and recommended an upgrade. Thus I now have a Corsair HX620.

Remember that it's not all about wattage. One thing that can screw you over is if the powersupply has true independent rails and they aren't enough, which is why the NeoHE is a concern. While the overall wattage might be enough, there may be no one 12v link with enough juice.

Also note that some makers overspec their gear. I dont' know anything about OCZ powersupplies but check and see if they are well built and can really handle their load or if it's just smoke and mirrors.

Finally, never rule out that the PSU could be partially faulty. It's easy to have a device that functions properly, or near enough, under a light load and then starts to fail under high load.

If you have a store that takes returns, and it sounds like you do, I'd invest in a good powersupply. Seasonic is probably a good choice, or PC Power and Cooling if they are available. Give it a shot, maybe it fixes your problem.

FYI my GTS doesn't buzz, it is in fact quieter than the 7800 it replaced.

It's going to be difficult to quote everybody so I'll just dump it all into this post.
All around, good points to consider, thanks for the tips.

Kango: The second machine I put the 8800 into was an HP Workstation XW6200, it's got a 500w PSU rated to handle a second CPU, this one only had a single CPU and it seemed to handle the 8800 without a problem, ie, no BSOD's, lock-ups and the like. When I ran ATITool it emitted the same buzz. I have my reservations as to whether the PSU in the XW6200 was emitting the *exact* same and I do mean *exact same* electronic buzz. I put my ear right next to the card and you can clearly hear it's coming from that, move my head to the PSU and it's audibly quieter so based on that information I'm taking a big but well educated guess that the problem does indeed lie with the card.

I agree with another poster who mentioned not to get tunnel vision on this regard and rightfully so, but the 'data' I'm getting points in only one direction. Now granted I'm not completely stupid and will obviously keep other avenues of thought open as I progress with this but right now the most logical answer, based on all available information, is that somehow a big bad batch of 8800's reached the retailer and I just happened, with total Chaos Theory luck, to pick 4 bad ones. What are the chances?

The PSU I'm using is an OCZ 850w GameXstream. Another thing I did to troubleshoot this was to disable all the fans in my case, picture as follows:

pcroom2.jpg

This substantially reduced the ambient noise emitted from the case. With what rudimentary testing I could perform I verified that, when idle, the PSU hardly made a noise, it was just barely audible, and when I loaded up a game the continuous buzz/whine/squeal that sounded was not eminating from it but rather the GFX card. I have yet to press on various points on the card to determine whether or not applying pressure will fix the problem and to be honest I'm a little nervous doing that.

To C. Norris: The PSU in the HP Workstation XW6200 was some generic HP brand 500w. Sound card, onboard.

I have to agree with a poster on another forum somewhere that mentioned that it might be worth just waiting until a new revision of the 8800GTX's come out and then try to get it replaced at that stage.

Kango: I'll run a 3D application overnight and see what happens.

And for all those that may have missed it, here's the link from another guy that is experiencing the same thing as me:

http://www.nakijken.nl/marvin/noise.mp3

OK, it might be your psu. I know you said earlier that you tried another GPU and the noise went away, but the GTX draws more power that any other cards out there (save the GTS and GX2). Unless you tried another GPU with the same power draw, don't rule out the PSU.

I have the same problem. Most obvious in oblivion when you bring up a menu and the framerate jumps to 1,000+. It is very distracting in that even though you know everything is "probably" fine, you can't just put it out of your mind.

The only "solution" I have had so far is to enable v-sync when using an application that prompts the squeel, but this is not Ideal of course.

Sorry, not alot to add to the subject but I will be following this thread in hope that some more light is shed on it.

My BFG 8800GTX does the same thing. High pitched squealing in games and bechmarks.

This is my second one. The last card (also a BFG) did it also, but not as loud as this one.

Also, I am getting a lot of electrical sounding noise from the EVGA motherboard as well. When I do system intensive things that also use the hard drive (like unzipping a large file) i get a lot of noise that sounds like it is coming from the voltage regulators? near the upper left corner next to the CPU.

Wierd!

I sent the entire PC into Memory Express so hopefully they can find what the problem is. I hope it's nothing too serious but it seems as though many other people with this problem on this forum are coming out of the woodwork so maybe all of this info will be helpful to somebody somewhere down the road.

Will post resolution once I hear from them.

i own a bfg 8800gtx.

the sound is heard when in 3d/gaming. Alt + Tab to the desktop & no sound, go back to the game : buzzz buzzz.

i guess that what we get for rushing on a new product

PS- would like to know if anyone in the forum has a watercooled 8800, maybe the sound is related to that HUGE heatsink

Update:

This one is getting so bizarre. I spoke to the very helpful Tech Support guy at MemoryExpress and he's been battling to troubleshoot the issue. Apparently no matter what hardware configuration is being utilised the buzzing noise is there, he's swopped out motherboards/ PSU's/ many different 8800GTX's (and different brands of all) and whatever is being used the GFX card buzzes. He's also tried the components outside of the case to eliminate any interference potentially caused by the case.

It also sounds like there's no help from Nvidia/BFG or EVGA on this matter, the official word (according to Memory Express) is that they have never heard of this buzzing problem. How weird is that? The major manufacturers of these cards have not heard a thing.

It looks as if there's an inherent flaw in the 8800GTX's.

I'm open to suggestions here. This is getting really weird.

you might be getting electromagnetic interfierance. one of your cables might be setting it off, happend to me with my sound card.

I have seen this issue on several forums.

The fix for this problem is relatively simple.Ask the guys at MemX and they might even help ya out ( I shop there too , they are normally really good with this kinda thing)).

Here's part 1 .You need to setup your rig and video card so you can physically touch the components....Start up an app that causes the noise , and using a nonconductive "stick" , start gently touching components on the video card....Now you have to be really careful doing this : you don't want to unseat the card while operating !! .....The Idea is when you touch the component thats making the noise , the noise should stop or diminish.

Part 2 : this is the bit that can void the warantee...

Goto your local electronics store (active electronics here in Calgary) and get some Acrylic conformal coating......Then just brush on some of it all over the component making the noise.Problem solved.

-------------------

This problem occurs in old teevee's all the time.The solution is the same......find the offending component and reseal it with varnish etc.

The noise is a result of high frequency devices that are actually physically 'vibrating'.Stop the vibration , kill the noise.

:D

Hello

I'd like to confirm OP's problems. During load, the GTX8800 cards produce incredibly irritating noise, although YMMV, depending on the case and amount/strength of fans.

I was at the edge of RMA, but considering this and a few other threads it seems pointless.

So my question currently is more like: did anyone fix it by himself ? Using mentioned acrylic lacquer in previous post, or by some other means ? Which component precisely is responsible for that ? Considering that current 8800 cards are almost a one big radiator, finding it won't be easy.

It's the VRM/VRD inductors that step the voltage down from the 12 volt input rail. Using ATI tool to control the fan speed is usually the cause. Silicon rubber or some type of RTV should kill the high frequency wine. Uninstall ATI tool instead if you can.

You guys do know that the 8800GTX has a component on it thats designed to make a high pitched squeal, right? The cards will start shrieking when they arent getting enough power.

I say start swapping PSU's out.

So is nvidia, evga and bfg still acting like they have never heard of this problem?

I say start swapping PSU's out.

You're quick on judging. Is brand new 56A on 12V (single rail) Seasonic enough for you ? Not that my old psu (Antec with 24A/12V) has any problems with this simple setup, or makes any difference. It would be quite strange if it had, considering [realistic] overall load.

It's the VRM/VRD inductors that step the voltage down from the 12 volt input rail.

Looks like those are under that big heatsink. Guess not gonna be easy (most probably bye bye warranty :( ), if RMA won't make any difference...

As for ATI tool - I don't have it, or ever used it. Or messed with gf's fans in any way.

Thx for info.

I have the same problem, and very noticeable with ATITool running. Tried with 3 different XFX 8800GTX cards!!
First I thought it had to do with my Enermax Liberty 500W PSU, I then changed it to a Silvestone Zeus 850Watt PSU. Same buzzing sound like before. Then switched it to a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 850Watt. Still the same buzzing sound. I went back to my Enermax 500W, RMAed my XFX card, and got it exchanged. Still the same. RMAed/exchanged again, still the same, but now I have a card that can run 700/1100MHz ;-) But still with the buzzing sound. My system is very low noise. I tried turning up all my fans to 12V, which gives more noise, but not overwhelming. Now the buzzing is overwhelmed by the noise from my fans, and can't be heard. I guess its around 28dBa.
My mobo is a Asus P5B Deluxe, CPU is an E6600.

I have sensitive ears and I have this squealing noise which is very audible during game play. When browsing the web, the noise is audible when I move pictures left/right, the noise is much quieter when moving pictures up/down. Odd huh?

My PSU is supplying enough power per speedfan, and it doesn't appear to be a problem. I have a Corsair HX620.

I think the squealing is just a characteristic of the 8800GTX. Of my friends who own 8800GTXs, they all do this.

The good thing is, the squealing is drowned out by game noise :) I might call EVGA about this if it ever really bothers me, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for me at this point.

Do the 8800gts' have this problem also or is it only a gtx thing?

Just to add a note - how to easily reproduce it (I don't have any ati tool, or ever used one):

- fire up Oblivion, load some savegame, then try a few option menus / char stats screens.
- if you don't have Oblivion, the other app that triggers it immediately is http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

I'd be great to know if there's anyone who doesn't hear that buzz after doing one/both of those things. Would be a basis for trying RMA.

i also own a 8800gtx and it also makes the same buzzining noise. It is an xfx 8800gtx i already contacted xfx support but at the moment haven't gotten an final answer.

i can confirm that the sound comes without an doubt from the 8800 gtx card. It's annoying but i am more wurried about if it won't break down soon.

Btw my system is extremely quit becouse it's water cooled, the 8800 gtx is still on stock cooling, but is also really quite so the sound is easyer noticable then my former card (6800 gt) becouse that card sounded like an jet engine :) .

I too have this problem, although mine is not as pronounced at the mp3 file posted earlier is.

I have a SeaSonic S12 650W PSU and an 8800GTX. My system is watercooled and I have a DangerDen 8800GTX waterblock on my card.

I agree, the problem is very irritating and I confirm that when in game, buzz buzz, but alt+tab and it's back to silence.

Yes, there is a component on board that is meant to squeal when there is not enough power to the board - I've heard it before and this is *completely* different.

As for the buzz when scrolling in webpages, I don't know what it is, but my IBM ThinkPad T60 does the same it it may just be what we get for having smaller and smaller wafer processes...

Anyways, I was on the verge of RMA as well but it looks like it won't help.

I should mention that this is my second eVGA 8800GTX - the first I RMA'ed back to NewEgg because I was getting the power squeal that I mentioned before when I shut the machine down. Anyways, I didn't notice this buzzing on the other card, but that's not to say it wasn't there.

Keep this thread going - post any new leads or possible solutions you find.

I'm glad to know that it's not only me.

I have the buzz as well, And i tried it on 2x eVGA 8800gtx ACS3 KO same results

Like some of you have said, only in 3d games BF2/Quake4, If i alt tab out its silence, Until alt tab back in the game..

Back