"Split Quote" javascript

unhappy_mage

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2005
I've written a bookmarklet for Firefox that people on this forum might find useful, and I wasn't sure where else to post this.

The "Split Quotes" javascript takes a block quote like this (with square brackets; replaced with angle brackets for clarity):
<quote=unhappy_mage;12345>This is the first thing I said.
And then I said something on another topic</quote>

Put your cursor at the end of the line and trigger SQ. You'll get this:
<quote=unhappy_mage;12345>This is the first thing I said.</quote>

<quote=unhappy_mage;12345>And then I said something on another topic</quote>

This makes it possible to easily respond to points raised one-at-a-time, and make it clear who wrote what. The script preserves post numbering, so you get the fancy red arrow next to the person's name. It works with multiple quotees in a single post.

Okay, you say, how do I try this? The simplest way is to go here. Drag the SQ link to your Bookmarks Toolbar and let go. You'll get a new item there called SQ (you can rename it if you feel like it). Now start a post with a <quote> or two in it. Position the cursor where you'd like to split a quote, and click SQ. Voilà - two quotes, with space in between to type your response to the first half. If you miss, hit ctrl-z and it should revert. If you click outside <quote> tags, you'll get a popup warning you that no quote tag was found.

Things yet to come: insert text in textarea without re-positioning scrollbar?

JavaScript source is . Feel free to play with it, re-post on other forums, etc. Suggestions/questions/comments are welcome!

Very good stuff indeed.

My $0.02 ...
It would be better to move this thread to the "Webmastering & Programming" forum so that you can get more feedback, suggestions, etc. from the developers frequenting the [H] site.
Additionally, a simple post in other boards (ie: "General Software") with a link to the actual thread will help to keep things consolidated, yet still advertise this thread to everyone that would be interested, but may not normally frequent the W&P forum.

Back