Am I screwed?

PaintballBrokeMe

Limp Gawd
Well I think i screwed up my 7900GT.

I took it out and cleaned off the old paste because I got some AS5 and put the Zalman cooler back on and now It doesn't show anything on my monitor. It beeps saying I don't have a video card. Ive tried reseating it multiple times and when it did work there were ziggy lines and crap on the screen and it started showing hundreds of colors...What can I do???

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Yeah I wouldn't RMA that. If you do your own mods on your stuff, you are on your own, this includes overclocking.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

This is so fucking gay.

Does having a zalman cooler on it void the warrenty. I don't have the money for a new card!!!

first remove all the AS5 on the thing with a tissue or sumthin, THAN, use the grain of rice manuever (if you didnt do it before), put only a PEA sized drop and spread it

In most cases changing anything hardware wise on a card or motherboard will void your warranty.

Put the stock HSF back on and RMA it. As long as the stickers are still on it and it looks stock, they're not going to check.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

This is so fucking gay.

Does having a zalman cooler on it void the warrenty. I don't have the money for a new card!!!

Is like being "gay" bad or soemthing? What does that mean exactly?

In any case, shouldn't you have thought about this before doing the mod? I make sure I can re-buy something if I'm going to risk it before I mess with it.

It sparked and starting making this butt hair burning smell im not even jokeing im about to cry

Sounds like it was making contact with the capicitors around the pcb. It's a dud my friend, no need to try to revive it. You will be able to send it back if there is no physical damage done to it. They will know if you were messing around with it, they check this by using a magnifying mirror by inspecting the mounting screws from the heatsink so if they decide to favor against your claim you're pretty much screwed and it'll be your time again to purchase a new card and dont mess around with it , if it aint broke dont touch it.

Silly question, but when you removed the video card, did you accidentally press on one of the RAM eject brackets? Just yesterday when I installed a fan I accidentally touched that, and since the memory wasn't plugged in all the way, the computer decided not to boot until i re-mounted it.

if it aint broke dont touch it.

I thought this site was about touching stuff and making it do things it isn't ment to do. Anyways, just RMA it and see what happens. Oh and when they send you a new one, just be EXTRA carefull about putting the cooler on there. I hope everything works out.

RMA time. Sounds like you killed something on the board.

Yeah I wouldn't RMA that. If you do your own mods on your stuff, you are on your own, this includes overclocking.

Put the stock HSF back on and RMA it. As long as the stickers are still on it and it looks stock, they're not going to check.

I thought this site was about touching stuff and making it do things it isn't ment to do. Anyways, just RMA it and see what happens. Oh and when they send you a new one, just be EXTRA carefull about putting the cooler on there. I hope everything works out.

Forum Rule #18 said:
(18) You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES.

If you killed it, you shouldn't expect the manufacturer to replace it. It's not their fault.
Representing that it is their fault is fraud, which is illegal.

You need to take the cooler back off the card, and inspect the board with a magnifying glass to look for a short. Maybe it's something you can fix - IE excess AS5 causing a short between some traces. You can clean it with some 99% isopropyl.

If you can't fix it, I suggest making a keychain.

if its from newegg, then just bitch to them. Dont say its their fault, just be cool. Dont worry about the guy above and his "its illegal" stuff. If it were quality hardware then it would of lasted.

I hate to pour salt on your wound my friend ....... but ........ it's just not worth the risk trying to shave a few points off the heat of that card. In the end your gain vs the chance you took is not worth it period even if you did get the card back to life.

I took a 9700 pro and put one of those blue orbs on it back in the day and I used anti-static gloves, an anti-static work mat. The right tools, etc. I was extremely extremely careful. And I read and re-read the directions. I was 1000% prepared and ............. guess what.

Artifacts

Those cards are just super delicate.

Trying RMAing it to newegg. I don't think they really care? They probably go through hundreds of RMAs each day, they might not go about inspecting every card to see if it was screwed with.

I took a 9700 pro and put one of those blue orbs on it back in the day and I used anti-static gloves, an anti-static work mat. The right tools, etc. I was extremely extremely careful. And I read and re-read the directions. I was 1000% prepared and ............. guess what.

Artifacts

And I put an NV Silencer on a video card wearing socks sitting in a chair with my feet on the carpet using my Leatherman for the screwdriver... no problems.

;)

Luck of the draw.

put the original cooler back on and RMA the puppy..........play dumb if anything comes up; otherwise, just say it died..........youd be surprised

When are video card manufacturers ever gonna learn to put tamper proof fasteners on video cards? I wonder just how many times noobs break shit and RMA it back.

How fricking hard is it to change a heatsink and not get AS5 everywhere?

Good luck with your RMA, don't feel bad, you are not the Lone Ranger here, noobs do this shit all the time. The rest of us will pay for it for you with slightly higher prices, more stringent RMA procedures in the future, and tamper proof HSF fasteners that the rest of us, with opposing thumbs, will be stuck with as well.

Is like being "gay" bad or soemthing?
Sensitive?

I would definitly say rma since you pretty much have nothing to lose at this point. You can learn a lot from this thread. I would also say to never attempt to do something like unless you can either

A) Afford to screw up.
B) Have a video card to roll back to.

In your case, those are two things you should of has pre determined before hand. I do wish you all the luck in the world & that things work out. On another note, the poster above me pwned the whole thread pretty much by just being honest. :)

I hate to pour salt on your wound my friend ....... but ........ it's just not the worth the risk trying to shave a few points off the heat of that card. In the end your gain vs the chance you took is not worth it period even if you did get the card back to life.

Artifacts

i thought i had screwed up my 9800pro, i reseated it, repasted, redid it, i even got some as5 on the agp connector as i was getting so fed up from working on it for so long (yes i did clean it all up). i did all that only to notice that it wasn't the card after all, it was probably the overclock on my athlon xp:

i had a picture of all the parts sitting on my desk, and the words on my monitor: disk allocation error. i didn't notice cause it was so bright in the room. oh well. lol. i found out afterwards ;)

come to think of it, i don't even know why i repasted the video card. i can't remember :confused:

A little black chip on the card is burnt. So I don't think reseating it will do any good lol.

I'm just going to clean everything on it up and put it back to the original cooler and hope and pray they replace it.

Yes, ignore the "fraud" guy.

If they find out about it, they reject it. If they don't, who gives a shit?

And, technically, as long as you don't say "I didn't overclock/replace HSF/etc." (i.e. deny you voided the warranty) and keep neutral on what you DID do, it's not fraud, because you're not misrepresenting (i.e. lying) yourself.

Put the default heatsink back on and change whatever else to default and then RMA it. They won't know at all. Just say it was defective from the second you put it in. Unless your RMA is void from 30 days or whatever.

Put the default hintsink back on and change whatever else to default and then RMA it. They wont know at all. Just say it was defective from the second you put it in.

Yeah. I called and asked them and they said that having a aftermarket cooler does not void the warranty.

EVGA Ftw. :)

Yeah. I called and asked them and they said that having a aftermarket cooler does not void the warranty.

EVGA Ftw. :)

I just read about the black chip thing. You must of had sweaty hands or dripped something to short it out. I always double check to make sure theres no drips on any expensive hardware before I put it in. Never know. Your dog could fling a drool string on it or something lol :p

I just read about the black chip thing. You must of had sweaty hands or dripped something to short it out. I always double check to make sure theres no drips on any expensive hardware before I put it in. Never know. Your dog could fling a drool string on it or something lol :p

LMAO.

I'm positive that it was because I got the AS5 on some solder points because its a metal base type substance.

From what I understand, you are supposed to use Ceramique when attaching VGA (or RAM) coolers since it is not conductive at all.

When are video card manufacturers ever gonna learn to put tamper proof fasteners on video cards? I wonder just how many times noobs break shit and RMA it back.

How fricking hard is it to change a heatsink and not get AS5 everywhere?

Good luck with your RMA, don't feel bad, you are not the Lone Ranger here, noobs do this shit all the time. The rest of us will pay for it for you with slightly higher prices, more stringent RMA procedures in the future, and tamper proof HSF fasteners that the rest of us, with opposing thumbs, will be stuck with as well.

Sensitive?

OUCH burn :)

you should be alright if its an EVGA, they're nice about that stuff.

Well I think i screwed up my 7900GT.

I took it out and cleaned off the old paste because I got some AS5 and put the Zalman cooler back on and now It doesn't show anything on my monitor. It beeps saying I don't have a video card. Ive tried reseating it multiple times and when it did work there were ziggy lines and crap on the screen and it started showing hundreds of colors...What can I do???

:( :( :( :( :( :(

self pwned

You fucked up. Your warranty doesn't cover that. Go ahead and RMA it like all these poor bastards are telling you to, just know it's unethical and not the right thing to do.

Back