NOD32 or Kaspersky?

Lazarey

Gawd
Not trying to start a war or anything, I would just like to get some opinions on these to AVs since they seem to be the best.
I have dial-up internet if that matters but I hope to get high-speed this year.

Haven't tried NOD32 but I hear it's pretty good.

I have Kaspersky installed on the 3 computers in my apartment and recommend it to everyone I know.

I have used both, but think NOD32 was better....

NOD32 for me. I don't know much about Kapersky but I've used Norton, McAfee, & Zone Alarm in the past and I've been infected with all 3. Only NOD32 has kept me virus & worm free.

NOD32. Kaspersky is great don't get me wrong but NOD32 is faster, nicer looking and is much safer imo. It also loads faster and takes up less space. NOD32 has always deleated viruses and all other crap if i have one which is very rare where as Kaspersky has a problem here and there.

NOD32. Kaspersky is great don't get me wrong but NOD32 is faster, nicer looking and is much safer imo. It also loads faster and takes up less space. NOD32 has always deleated viruses and all other crap if i have one which is very rare where as Kaspersky has a problem here and there.

I've never ever heard of Kaspersky having any sort of problems ... proof ? link ?

My understanding was that the dudes on TWIT TV did a test a couple of years ago with most of the major AV players and found NOD32 to have the smallest footprint and the least amount of affect on overall system performance. I have personally installed it on at least several hundred systems over the years and been nothing but happy with it. I also like the fact that the company is based here in Southern California (as I am). However, I also haven't ever heard claims of any sort of problems with Kaspersky of any kind (and I usually hear a lot).

Between the two of them, I don't think you could go wrong with either....I prefer NOD32/64 personally, but Kaspersky is just as good, so at this level you would just be going with your preference.

you'd think it would be since it's from AOL....

but you're wrong. I use it and it's light, clean, free, free, free. it's basically kaspersky without the more advanced features, which i never used anyway when i had regular kaspersky.

Regarding BitDefender:

I worked on a client's machine about 5 months ago. When I was sitting at his PC, he started bringing in boxes of Norton/Symantec stuff, and I just cringed. "But it was on sale so cheap at Fry's, I couldn't pass it up." And this was a man saying it, sounding like a woman that had just found a sale on shoes at some boutique. :)

Anyway, after getting to work on the primary complaints - slow booting, slow performance, etc - I discovered BitDefender turned out to be the second greatest drain on the machine. The primary drain was the number of applications that ran at boot time (BitDefender being one of them, of course). The guy had like 14 icons in the Tray and it took well over 4 minutes to boot to a usable Desktop.

I told him about NOD32, he didn't want it, said he paid full price for BitDefender and he trusted it so that's what he was sticking with. Whatevarrrrrrrrr...

I spent 3 hours on that machine, and when I was done it was booting in under 45 seconds. The RAM usage at the Desktop came down from 450MB+ to just over 100; from 14 icons in the Tray to 3. He was happy, and when he dropped $100 in my hand, I really didn't care about that shitty AV software that seems to weave itself into a system even worse than Norton/Symantec AV does, amazingly.

I wouldn't recommend it if BitDefender put me on the Board of Directors and gave me a million in cash just to say "It's good" just one time.

NOD32 ftw, as always.

Wow I didnt think bitdefender was that bad. In August Consumer Reports tested all the major AV packages and ranked bitdefender 10 #1 but they didnt test Nod32 IIRC. I've always heard really good stuff about Nod so maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Just thought I would mention this here because of Kaspersky

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2034680,00.asp

This then downloads a pirated copy of Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate into a concealed directory on the infected system.

It patches the license signature check in-memory in the Kaspersky DLL to avoid having Kaspersky refuse to run due to an invalid or expired license, Stewart said.

Ten minutes after the download of the DLL, it begins to scan the system for malware, skipping files which it detects are part of its own installation.

"Any other malware found on the system is then set up to be deleted by Windows at the next reboot," he added.

Crazy how sophisticated viruses and malware are getting installing legit AV software to remove rivals:eek:

you'd think it would be since it's from AOL....

but you're wrong. I use it and it's light, clean, free, free, free. it's basically kaspersky without the more advanced features, which i never used anyway when i had regular kaspersky.
Did you even read the license agreement?

Out of those two I would choose NOD32. A lot of people seem to really like it.

What about AVG Free? It's what I've been using, since it's free and has kept me virus free...

Did you even read the license agreement?

yes i did, did you? so why dont you educate everyone on how infective it is. unless you mean to say that wow, it has a link in its start menu for visiting AOL. i'm still not seeing any AOL spyware.

Back