OLED HDTV - A Sense of Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieHardcc

n00b
The ultimate showdown of next generation display technology: OLED versus SED, LaserTV?

Sony's 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio 27-inch OLED HDTV

Sony eyeing OLED TVs for 2008
http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6148330.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-5&subj=news

sony-oled3.jpg

sony-oled2.jpg

sony-oled-specs.jpg

sony-oled4.jpg

sony-oled1.jpg

Wow ... amazing.

I have a small OLED based mp3 player and it's super brite and you can see the small display from ANY angle.

1,000,000:1 My ass :eek: That is like, impossible even for CRT technology that can produce 0 light at its darkest point.

OLEDs will burn in though, the colors in them wear just like a CRT, just like Plasma, so they will not be good enough to be PC monitors early in their life and possibly never.

It is really hard to tell with pictures....you have to take into account the quality of the camera plus the monitor you are viewing the pics on but....those pics look oversaturated and unnatural to me. For example the table with the fruit and wine...I don't think it would look that bright and colorful if you were standing there in person.

Having said that, it is always very promising when new technology gets further along in development (for big screens) but..like the gentleman above I think laser will be the next big thing.

Might be wrong...but I thought a downside to OLED's is the brightness decreases a large degree over a short period of time (like 5,000 hours). Would like to see the expected brightness after 10,000 relative to a CCFT backlight.

im likin tha lasar
maybe they will come out with new crt monitors using this technology?
i really like SED tvs also, but i think the pricepoint for them is gonna be whack.

1,000,000:1 My ass :eek: That is like, impossible even for CRT technology that can produce 0 light at its darkest point.
If you can find a CRT that produces 0 light on black, then that CRT not only has a greater then 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, it has an INFINITE contrast ratio.
lim (y --> 0) of x/y = infinity. where x is a positive real number (in this case, max brightness.)

If you can find a CRT that produces 0 light on black, then that CRT not only has a greater then 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, it has an INFINITE contrast ratio.
lim (y --> 0) of x/y = infinity. where x is a positive real number (in this case, max brightness.)

You would have to have a room that has no ambient light, is that even possible?

How do lasers control the brightness of individual pixels? Can they shut all the way off like CRTs on the per pixel basis, or is it just like lamp displays? Being a projection technology those look like they would be the DLP in the world of SED OLED and lasers.

I thought OLEDs had incredibly short lifetimes, have they improved on this or what?

Please get these out the door. They fix almost everything wrong with LCD, if you have OLED there is not much need for more expensive SED.

Perfect blacks/contrast and no backlight BS.
Perfect viewing angles for real.
The same for response time.

I want, I want, I want !!!!

I thought OLEDs had incredibly short lifetimes, have they improved on this or what?

The problem has been with materials that emit the blue subpixel light. While the red and green components can last up to 60,000hours (~7years of 24/7 operation) or more, the blues have been hitting half-brightness around 20,000hrs (~2.2years). As far as it being fixed, I don't know, maybe Sony's just trying to cash in on a 2 year replacment cycle.

I think laser TV is comparable to electric cars. While LED, OLED, Plasma and DLP and the other crap load of technology are just trying to cash in for a short time while knowing Laser is the ultimate way to go IMO.

Meh ill let the hardcore people sort this out, its like the hddvd/blue ray fight. everyone knows blueray is better in the long run, but no one wants to admit sony finaly did something right.

Don't hold your breath for this product. The President of Sony is reputed to have said the OLED product is set for 2008 manufacture. A Sony division head stated that OLED is unlikely to be marketed as a consumer product but as a broadcast division product. The 27 inch display was truly outstanding. Bright and vibrant, this product is extremely narrow. With its low power consumption, light weight, brightness and diminutive deapth it would make a perfect HD field monitor. We will need to keep an eye out for this at the 2007 Sony line show, or NAB. My betting though is it will be 2008 before we see it, if at all.

Don't hold your breath for this product. The President of Sony is reputed to have said the OLED product is set for 2008 manufacture. A Sony division head stated that OLED is unlikely to be marketed as a consumer product but as a broadcast division product. The 27 inch display was truly outstanding. Bright and vibrant, this product is extremely narrow. With its low power consumption, light weight, brightness and diminutive deapth it would make a perfect HD field monitor. We will need to keep an eye out for this at the 2007 Sony line show, or NAB. My betting though is it will be 2008 before we see it, if at all.

That's only IF Sony is the only manufacturer. But I've seen OLED on Pioneer products before so I don't think Sony has the ability to hold it from the consumer market .

The problem has been with materials that emit the blue subpixel light. While the red and green components can last up to 60,000hours (~7years of 24/7 operation) or more, the blues have been hitting half-brightness around 20,000hrs (~2.2years). As far as it being fixed, I don't know, maybe Sony's just trying to cash in on a 2 year replacment cycle.

That depends on which tech. There is longer lasting blue than 20K hours.
http://www.oled-info.com/blue_color/cdt_announces_another_lifetime_milestone_400_000_hours_for_blue

What is with your 24/7 cycle? Maybe is some specialized needs it might be running 24/7 but for a home computer it would be much less. How much do you use yours?

I work ~8 hours/day and sleep ~8 hours/day that only leave a max of ~8 hours/day to have my monitor on at home. At that rate it would last almost 7 years at 20k hours. Plenty as far as I am concerned. I have been using home computers for over 20 years now, I have never used a monitor for 7 years.

ya but not everyone lives like that, we keep our tv on 16hrs a day about. :(

Well I just pointed out the 24/7 part because I thoughr that since it was the most a display could possibly be used then it would be obvious that it would last longer if your usage was less than that.

So here's a more aggressive listing of lifetime.

24/7 -- ~2.2 years
24/5 -- ~3.1 years
16/7 -- ~3.5 years
16/5 -- ~4.7 years
8/7 -- ~6.9 years
8/5 -- ~9.5years

need any more examples ? :p

that laser tv looks really good. i also dont trust sony at all, so i am taking those specs with a basket full of salt

that laser tv looks really good. i also dont trust sony at all, so i am taking those specs with a basket full of salt

Laser TV looks promising, but I don't believe they can have perfect focus across the screen, which is why I'm skeptical...it is a projection technology, while ultra thin, still projection.

everyone knows blueray is better in the long run, but no one wants to admit sony finaly did something right.

Uhhh, yeah right, HD-DVD >>>> Bluray anyday of the week.

Uhhh, yeah right, HD-DVD >>>> Bluray anyday of the week.

In what possible way? They identical resolution (1080p) they have all the same Codecs (including VC-1) and they have all the same DRM crap. Something like the first 5 movies for Blue Ray were not encoded properly but since then they have been identical quality.

Now the differences.

Capacity: 15G per layer for HD, 25 G for sony and sony supports more layers, so just about double the capacity for Blu Ray.

Movies: Blu Ray has more studios on side. I checked with the largest retailer and they have more movies available.

Price: $500 for HD-DVD, $500 for PS3 or $899 for a standalone BR player.

So the standalone player is more for Blu Ray but you can get PS3 for the price of an HD-DVD player and price is one of those things that is just going to drop and equalize on the standalone player side.

Capacity and movies are Blu Rays side and everything else is just about equal.

ya but not everyone lives like that, we keep our tv on 16hrs a day about. :(

Eeek! I feel bad if I watch 4 hours a day.

I would buy a 20K hour OLED set right now without hesitation, even if I used it every waking hour that I wasn't at work, it would still last more than 5 years.

I just got an LCD that tracks hours, I will get to see how many hours per week month, I use accurately soon.

I sell home theater/TV stuff all day, and from what I see, HD-DVD is better than BluRay in quality (And that's all across the board whether you are comparing the Toshiba A2 to the Sony Bluray or the 360 drive to the PS3).

Like I said, I work with the stuff all day, and even the customers that I work with will vouch for me as well.

Movies: Blu Ray has more studios on side. I checked with the largest retailer and they have more movies available.

I work with one of the largest retailers (Circuit City), and from what I can tell you, yes we do have more movies on bluray per se, but we sell more HD-DVD discs by far. Hell, I even stopped by Wal Mart, and their HD-DVD's are always sold out.

Like I said, if you already have a 360 in your house, an HD-DVD player is only $200, and with a lot of the customers buying the shit, I say that it is currently winning the battle

I sell home theater/TV stuff all day, and from what I see, HD-DVD is better than BluRay in quality (And that's all across the board whether you are comparing the Toshiba A2 to the Sony Bluray or the 360 drive to the PS3).

Like I said, I work with the stuff all day, and even the customers that I work with will vouch for me as well.

I work with one of the largest retailers (Circuit City), and from what I can tell you, yes we do have more movies on bluray per se, but we sell more HD-DVD discs by far. Hell, I even stopped by Wal Mart, and their HD-DVD's are always sold out.

Like I said, if you already have a 360 in your house, an HD-DVD player is only $200, and with a lot of the customers buying the shit, I say that it is currently winning the battle

Brand recognition is most definitely another selling factor for HD-DVD. BluRay sounds like some sci-fi weaponry to the average consumer. HD-DVD obviously contains DVD and by now everyone knows what a DVD is.

Brand recognition is most definitely another selling factor for HD-DVD. BluRay sounds like some sci-fi weaponry to the average consumer. HD-DVD obviously contains DVD and by now everyone knows what a DVD is.

True, HD is also getting broad recognition. Migh be what settles it in the end, although blueray offers more storage capacity and higher tranfer rates.

I'm not being a !!!!!!, I'm calling it how it is. You can tell the difference pretty clearly imo. We have 2 XBR2's running side by side, one running HD-DVD and the other running Bluray, me and a coworker got a couple of movies in both formats and ran them side by side, and HD-DVD for the most part came out on top all of the time.

To say they are the same is just stupid on your part. On paper, the Bluray seems like the better buy with it's great support from movie companies, and superior capacity, but from what all the reviewers (Me included) not to mention the amount of actual HD-DVD movies we sell, it proves otherwise.

I'm not being a !!!!!!, I'm calling it how it is. You can tell the difference pretty clearly imo. We have 2 XBR2's running side by side, one running HD-DVD and the other running Bluray, me and a coworker got a couple of movies in both formats and ran them side by side, and HD-DVD for the most part came out on top all of the time.

To say they are the same is just stupid on your part. On paper, the Bluray seems like the better buy with it's great support from movie companies, and superior capacity, but from what all the reviewers (Me included) not to mention the amount of actual HD-DVD movies we sell, it proves otherwise.

"all the reviewer"??? Where do you work? I would love to stop by and check it out myself.

Placebo. Thats the only reason you seem think one is better than the other...

They both are using VC-1 compression... Knowing this, and knowing one format has 30Gb, while the other has 50Gb, The ONLY possibility is the larger capacity format has LESS compression, not more.

Blu-Ray should without question be better quality or equal, never less. All that said, I bet you any money the files on both discs are identical... It's only placebo that's making you say one has better picture than the other. I would be the first to bet anyone that they could not blindly tell which was HD-DVD and which was Blu-Ray in a 'pepsi challenge' type test where the viewer didnt know which one was which. Watching a 50" tv from 10ft away, you'd barely be able to tell which one was 1080p versus 720p, let alone TINY compression artifacts.

It's all placebo.

It's totally obvious Blu-ray is going to outsell HD-DVD because it got great backing from major Production Company and Blu-ray sound like a new technology that more people are curious about than HD-DVD.

But seriously, I would love these two to combine into one.

That's some of the stupidest crap i've heard all day. HD-DVD has equivalent backing from "production company", just because Sony is the main production company backing Blu-ray doesn't mean it will automaticly be succesful. Sony is in the shits right now for the PS3, at the current price most people don't want to buy it, knowing that the Xbox360 has equivalent graphics and was in peoples homes way before the PS3 (good job on that front MS).

Also, I believe more people will stay away from Blu-rar because of the name and new technology. I already know loads of people who already understand what HD-DVD is. Let's brake it down in the view of a regular consumer. What is HD? Well HD is something that is being shown all over TV broadcasts, talked about in newspapers, big buzz word these days, and pretty much something that everyone knows by now. What is DVD? What isn't DVD, everyone knows what a DVD is. The logical assumption is that people will put 1 and 1 together and figure out that HD-DVD is high definition DVDs, and express interest in upgrading their technology to fit this new standard. While if that same person hears about Blu-ray, most of them won't have any idea what the hell it is, because it sounds foreign and just not something that is a household name yet. Make sense no?

That's some of the stupidest crap i've heard all day. HD-DVD has equivalent backing from "production company", just because Sony is the main production company backing Blu-ray doesn't mean it will automaticly be succesful. Sony is in the shits right now for the PS3, at the current price most people don't want to buy it, knowing that the Xbox360 has equivalent graphics and was in peoples homes way before the PS3 (good job on that front MS).

Also, I believe more people will stay away from Blu-rar because of the name and new technology. I already know loads of people who already understand what HD-DVD is. Let's brake it down in the view of a regular consumer. What is HD? Well HD is something that is being shown all over TV broadcasts, talked about in newspapers, big buzz word these days, and pretty much something that everyone knows by now. What is DVD? What isn't DVD, everyone knows what a DVD is. The logical assumption is that people will put 1 and 1 together and figure out that HD-DVD is high definition DVDs, and express interest in upgrading their technology to fit this new standard. While if that same person hears about Blu-ray, most of them won't have any idea what the hell it is, because it sounds foreign and just not something that is a household name yet. Make sense no?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=117 :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back