Finally! The iPhone!

Cingular works great in my area. Just another reason for me to ditch Helio

Damn that looks awesome! I've never wanted an iPod before -or even a PDA for that matter but this thing looks sweet. Running OSX on it just blows my mind but then again, Unix can be pretty modular. Just think of the possibilities this little guy brings to the table!

Looks great and has a nice list of features but the price and it being exclusive to Cingular is very disappointing, IMHO.

With a few minutes, unlimited text messaging and data access through Cingular, I'm paying over $100 a month. I can get the same plan with more minutes and just as good coverage through T-Mobile at about $60 - $70 a month.

Fuck Cingular

Looks great and has a nice list of features but the price and it being exclusive to Cingular is very disappointing, IMHO.

With a few minutes, unlimited text messaging and data access through Cingular, I'm paying over $100 a month. I can get the same plan with more minutes and just as good coverage through T-Mobile at about $60 - $70 a month.

Fuck Cingular

Its a GSM phone, I'm sure it won't be long until its unlocked.

Its a GSM phone, I'm sure it won't be long until its unlocked.

But not until you get raped by Cingular for the $175 termination fee or buy the phone outright for ~$200 more.

Either way, non-Cingular customers (or those who refuse to use their service) get the shaft here.

Of course it isn't even "finally here" yet. The phone hasn't been approved by the FCC so they cant sell it yet.

Oh yea, and Cingular only is a big kick in the nuts. I wonder how much Cingular paid for that exclusivity, probably subsidized most of the R&D spent on the iPhone.

But not until you get raped by Cingular for the $175 termination fee or buy the phone outright for ~$200 more.

Either way, non-Cingular customers (or those who refuse to use their service) get the shaft here.

Very true. But Cingular's coverage is better in my area than T-Mobile, TMO doesn't have EDGE here. I had an MDA with them, and it was terrible not having EDGE.

I hope Rogers gets the iPhone up here in Canada!

I might go talk to Ted about it...

I can see his house/office from here :p

Lucky me, I'm stuck with Sprint for another year. Bastards.

Anyways, the phone is set to cost $499-599. I believe there's a 4GB and 8GB hard drive model.

Fuck Cingular
One hundred fucking dollars a month!?! :eek: A friend of mine's got a Three subscription. For something like $30-40, he gets like 300 minutes of free phone calls, 300 minutes of video calls, 300 free messages, and so on. With my pay-as-you-go service in Sweden, I paid about $0.1 per minute for phone calls, even to other providers. My T-Mobile thing here in the UK costs more like $0.25 per minute. Argh.

Seriously, what's wrong with the rest of the world? It looks like cell phoning costs a fortune everywhere but Sweden.

its looks like a good product, and I am sure a lot of peple will go for it, but I am going to stick to my HP iPaq 6515 Cingular phone for one major reason: a hardware thumbpad. I like to me able to text message and type in web pages with ease, and a full qwerty keyboard is the best solution for that. I don't really care if my phone is bigger than others, I just want the funtionality.

Wow i am watching the keynote right now and the iphone does look very nice.

I am willing to purchase this device but after its been released for a year or wait till the next gen i wanna see how the bugs are and such and the problems it will have.

-MTXR

While the phone looks great and seems to have a nice feature set, it kind of sucks that it's not using a 3G network, especially when Cingular already has one in place. Built in WiFi is a nice touch, though. I'd probably won't get one until most of the bugs have been ironed out and another cell phone company offers the iPhone (since I switched from Cingular to T-Mobile six months ago)

Verizon would cripple it just like they do all their good phones.

True that. CellTradeUSA FTW!

Seriously, this is a public service announcement, not a pimp. I haven't even tried it, as I just heard about it a couple of weeks ago.

I'd definitely go Cingular+iPhone ASAP if it weren't for their poor coverage out here in the boonies. Bah, I need a reason to move out of town... :p

'Eh, now that Cingular and AT&T are one, this iPhone will surely fill in any financial potholes.

True that. CellTradeUSA FTW!

Seriously, this is a public service announcement, not a pimp. I haven't even tried it, as I just heard about it a couple of weeks ago.

I'd definitely go Cingular+iPhone ASAP if it weren't for their poor coverage out here in the boonies. Bah, I need a reason to move out of town... :p
Does that program really work? I know Verizon has a clause in their contract that states you can transfer service to someone else without paying the ETF. It sounds like it's just looking for other members to trade service, but the site design is horrible and doesn't make the site out to be credible at all.

That being said, I really want to get away from Verizon. :mad:

Seriously, what's wrong with the rest of the world? It looks like cell phoning costs a fortune everywhere but Sweden.

I think it has more to do with you guys actually caring if people try pulling quick sneaky over priced marked up shit. Add more it you are able to come together a little easier then 300 million Americans and you make telco companies fear you.

I pay 69 a month for two lines with cingular and each line goes off of rollover minutes so i am golden. And I don't believe in media/text msgs on your phone so no loss there.

Sometimes you got to decide what you really need and what you don't need.

_o/ yaya for consumers in America.

id be interested in this except for one issue, battery life.

i use my ipod all day. if i do that, and talk on this thing, it wont last through the day.

and for 600$ it damn well better.

i like the osx syncing, and will probably go with another pda type phone from sprint (my current carrier).

i just stumbled on a program called the "missing sync" and will probably be buying it once i decide what phone is next.

Fuck Cingular

and TMobile charges for roaming...so f Tmobile....

Seriously, I had Tmobile and while the plan is cheaper, you friggin roam all the time and get charged up the you know what for it. Cingular in my area is awesome with barely any roaming and even if I do roam I do not get charged for it.

The iPhone looks awesome...although I wish it was a bit cheaper. $299 - $399 w/contract would make more sense considering even the top of the line PDA phones (which will probably do more as they are WM5 instead of proprietary iPhone software) cost only that much.

The iPhone looks awesome...although I wish it was a bit cheaper. $299 - $399 w/contract would make more sense considering even the top of the line PDA phones (which will probably do more as they are WM5 instead of proprietary iPhone software) cost only that much.
I don't know about that. Theoretically, since it's running a stripped down version of OS X, you might be able to install your own applications.

The iPhone also supports Wifi, so Skype would be the perfect addition.

Does that program really work? I know Verizon has a clause in their contract that states you can transfer service to someone else without paying the ETF. It sounds like it's just looking for other members to trade service, but the site design is horrible and doesn't make the site out to be credible at all.

That being said, I really want to get away from Verizon. :mad:

Hah, and I thought I was the only one who thought horrible site design meant horrible service. (MySpace, what's that?)

I have not used the program myself, but if you google it you will find plenty of reviews and news stories about it. I'd be surprised if it were the only site like it, but I haven't run across an alternative. (Maybe I should make a better one?)

And I hear you on getting away form Verizon. I thought this Samsung A930 would be [H]ot, but it's s[H]it. They killed friggin' bluetooth! No data transfer is a travesty, a bloody money-bagger.

Question for you Cingular people. If you fall off the home network coverage, do you get charged anything extra? I think we have some GSM coverage up here, but I know it's not from Cingular.

and TMobile charges for roaming...so f Tmobile....

Seriously, I had Tmobile and while the plan is cheaper, you friggin roam all the time and get charged up the you know what for it.
I don't believe you had T-Mobile. That or you somehow specifically selected a plan with roaming charges. I pay $39.99 a month for 600 anytime minutes and unlimited nights and weekends. I've had the same plan and drove from maryland, all the way to Canada (called people from Canada too) and came home. I had 0 roaming charges and was also not charged anything extra for leaving the country.

id be interested in this except for one issue, battery life.

i use my ipod all day. if i do that, and talk on this thing, it wont last through the day.

and for 600$ it damn well better.

i like the osx syncing, and will probably go with another pda type phone from sprint (my current carrier).

i just stumbled on a program called the "missing sync" and will probably be buying it once i decide what phone is next.

They said 5 hours talk, 16 hours for music only. No stand by info yet.

They said 5 hours talk, 16 hours for music only. No stand by info yet.

5 hours of talk is towards the mid->high end for this class of device as well...

Motorola Q = 3.9 hours talk
Palm Treo 700 = 4.5 hours talk
Samsung BlackJack = 5.5 hours talk

All of that while having more features, larger display, and a smaller form factor to boot. Albeit at a much inflated price as well.

I wonder how easy to use the touch screen will be. After all, it has ZERO tactile feedback.

While the phone looks great and seems to have a nice feature set, it kind of sucks that it's not using a 3G network, especially when Cingular already has one in place. Built in WiFi is a nice touch, though. I'd probably won't get one until most of the bugs have been ironed out and another cell phone company offers the iPhone (since I switched from Cingular to T-Mobile six months ago)

might be a few years.... cingular has a multiyear exclusive contract

I wonder how well the battery life is going to work out... If I use it to listen to music all (as I do with my iPod) would the battery be used out when I try to use it as a phone or turn WiFi on? It has alot of battery sucking features..

Huge let down for me... Cingular Exclusive, yet no 3G support?! If this no 3rd party apps thing is true, I'm even more disappointed. I'll admit it does seem like it'd have most functions I need, but there's certain things I have to have on my smart phone (AIM and Skype for example). I'll stick with my PPC-6700 & Sprint for now. Now, if they release an iPod with a similar design and an 80gb drive, I'll be first in line!

Could the iPhone be Apple’s answer to the Zune?

Think about it… Wifi capabilities. Cellular capabilities. iPod capabilities. What’s to stop them from putting out a sharing app or even letting you SMS a song to a friend? (Of course, they’d have to restrict its usage, but it’s all very feasible).

Just a thought.

iPhone is cool!!!

Somebody know, how does it will be cost?

Now, if they release an iPod with a similar design and an 80gb drive, I'll be first in line!

Yes, but if yor droup it HD well damage. HD is not a good idea in mobile devices.
And the design is not as another mobile devices, how Nokia or Gnusmas.
It is a iPod style!!

It supports EDGE. I've heard it's not as fast as the CDMA alternatives, but for simple browsing it should be plenty.

you try pulling / pushing lots of e-mail on EDGE. And then if you have an attachment that you NEED to see, it's worse.

I don't blame apple for that though, it's cingular that needs to get off their butts and do something. a lot of road-warrior professionals in my area are on sprint or verizon simply because the data plans from cinular / t-mobile are way too painful and ineffective.

Back