Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

Kast

n00b
The only specs page I could find about this TFT was in the link below. Not sure about the validity of the page and they seem to have included the real(?) contrast ratio:

http://www.deck.ro/samsung/index.php?t=p&id=54

3000:1 contrast ratio (according to engadget), 2ms response time (GtoG), HDCP and according to this:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/07/samsung-unveils-syncmaster-245t-275t-906bw-announces-us-relea/

ETA for the TFT is February.

It's like the monitor is separated at birth with LG L226WT. Same specs, same (fake) contrast ratios same response time. I'll probably buy one of these two so more info, comparisons with the LG, opinions and suggestions are very very welcome. :)

In my opinion the only reason they would come out with the 226BW so fast is because of quality control issues with the 225BW. (Backlight problems, and in my own experience, lots of dead pixels)

I went through 3 of the 225BW's before I gave up on it and bought a Westinghouse LVM-37w3.

As far as the 3000:1 contrast ratio. Ya, thats just the same "dynamic" inflated stat that the say on their TV's as well. You have to go by the "base" contrast ratio, anything else is just marketing.

While this will be a step up from the 225BW, it's too bad it doesn't have height adjustment. I guess we really can't have everything in a monitor.

Just picked up a 225BW, backlight bleed wasn't a problem (was there, but not enough to bother me) and zero dead pixels.

Picked one up in the newer white boxes. Guy at the store said the old ones were in brown so hoped that new might be better (bugs worked out).

Is there no down side to the 2ms time. Worse colours and/or more errors introduced?
Mine rated at 5ms is perfect for games (and I do FPSers), if there are any issues with the 2ms I'd say not worth it.

Stand on the 225bw rocks also. I can nicely tuck my 5.1 center underneath because of it.

T.

Sleek and stylish, the 245T monitor is priced at an MSRP of $799.99, and is available in an attractive black cabinet. Furthermore, the model is HDTV-Ready, and capable of supporting High Definition resolutions including 1080i/p.

Available in March 2007 across North America,and has 5 USB 2,0 ports,100mm HAS.
db 15,dvi.component,s-video,178/178,6 ms,true 8 bit panel.....

Me wants NOW.....

In my opinion the only reason they would come out with the 226BW so fast is because of quality control issues with the 225BW. (Backlight problems, and in my own experience, lots of dead pixels)

I went through 3 of the 225BW's before I gave up on it and bought a Westinghouse LVM-37w3.

As far as the 3000:1 contrast ratio. Ya, thats just the same "dynamic" inflated stat that the say on their TV's as well. You have to go by the "base" contrast ratio, anything else is just marketing.

Mines fine in both respects..I got a white box, and have only had 1. (no exchange).

I have some very superficial bleed at the bottom, but its not enough to worry with.
http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/9995/2001540544843624981_rs.jpg

I returned my 225BW today. I gave it 3 weeks but couldn't get used to how bad the viewing angles and contrast were. I've switched back to my PVA-based Samsung 193P+ until I can find a CDN retailer that carries the S-PVA based Gateway FPD2275W. I'm done with TN panels. :(

Nope, this is from the Gateway FPD225W manual:
Code:
Panel Type:
     22-inch viewable
     TFT active matrix S-PVA
     Anti-glare coating

Pixel Resolution:
     1680 x 1050 (native) (60 Hz)

I'm having a hard time finding it in Canada though. I've only been able to play with the 24" version in person. It looks hands-down better than any other panel in the store, but I know I can't push 1920x1200 with my 7900GT.

wait i thought S-PVA wasnt that great, or is it that it's just preferable over TN? (i thought IPS was what people wanted)

Not at all, 225BW for the winn in designe. And they took height adjustment away, omg. But all this bleeding talking and buzzing and movement unsharpenes, it's hard for us all to get what we wan't.

I've got a 225bw, and no dead pixel, color distortion, noise, probs. w/ angled viewing, etc. It seems like is just the luck of the draw. Go figure, they're cranking these out every 4 months - an we're the testers.

Nope, this is from the Gateway FPD225W manual:
Code:
Panel Type:
     22-inch viewable
     TFT active matrix S-PVA
     Anti-glare coating

Pixel Resolution:
     1680 x 1050 (native) (60 Hz)

I'm having a hard time finding it in Canada though. I've only been able to play with the 24" version in person. It looks hands-down better than any other panel in the store, but I know I can't push 1920x1200 with my 7900GT.

despite what they list there in the manual, that doesn't look like an S-PVA panel I'm afraid. A number of issues here including most noteably that Samsung don't make a 22" panel which isn't TN Film. Since they're the only supplier of PVA/S-PVA matrices, that's not a good start. The rest of the spec is also very indicative of TN Film. A 5ms response time (no mention of G2G either), low (compared with PVA) contrast ratio of 700:1 and most importantly the 160 / 160 viewing angles. Afraid it looks like a mistake in the manual there

i think this will be my next monitor.

i hope build quality and quality control has improved from the 225bw.

does this one have 1:1 scaling?

the gateway has 1:1 scaling.

I bought one last week and I friggin love it.

only problem is minor leaking at the top middle and bottom middle, but its nothing major and is actually lessened a bit after calibration. regardless, the leaking is not nearly as bad as what some people have said about other 22's. the gateway also has a bunch of other connections and features that many of the other 22's lack.

can i just ask for a second what is exactly 1:1 scaling that everyone seems to want? do many monitors have it?

Yeesh, the CC website says it has a 3 month warranty?

i just noticed that myself.. that's pathetic, I won't buy any display with less than a 1 year warranty

Guys, I'm sure this is a mistake Circuit City's making (I've seen it before). Every single Samsung LCD from their past 2 gens has been covered by a 3-yr warranty on parts and labor.

I'll call Samsung first thing in the morning to verify this just in case.

I'm new to the forum, and also interested in the LG 226WT. I did find a pdf which confirms the 3 year warranty. The pdf also has the full specs for this display as well as the smaller ones. I wish we could find out if it has the same panel as the LG. It is interesting to note that on the second page it says MagicSpeed 5ms on the left border. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a typo on a Samsung pdf. Any thoughts on which panel it uses?

despite what they list there in the manual, that doesn't look like an S-PVA panel I'm afraid. A number of issues here including most noteably that Samsung don't make a 22" panel which isn't TN Film. Since they're the only supplier of PVA/S-PVA matrices, that's not a good start. The rest of the spec is also very indicative of TN Film. A 5ms response time (no mention of G2G either), low (compared with PVA) contrast ratio of 700:1 and most importantly the 160 / 160 viewing angles. Afraid it looks like a mistake in the manual there

I think you're right. I've changed my mind on the 22" and am making the leap to 24". I've put down a deposit and will pick up my new FPD2485WH on payday tomorrow. Hopefully I'll still be able to play my games at 1920x1200... if not I have 30 days to return it; maybe they'll release something >21" in Samsung's T or P series displays. I still love my 193P+.

from everything i've seen that 7900gt is going to choke on 1920x1200 man... depends on the game i guess but games like GRAW or PREY will be tuff

what do you play?

Pathetically brief review of the 226BW...

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/shopper/reviews/102428/samsung-syncmaster-226bw.html

Samsung SyncMaster 226bw [Computer Shopper]
COMPANY: Samsung PRICE: £370 inc VAT
RATING: ISSUE: 229 DATE: Mar 07

With its glossy black surround, the 22in widescreen SyncMaster 226bw looks gorgeous. It has a 2ms (grey-to-grey) response time, although in our experience there's little noticeable difference between monitors with 25ms or faster response times. It did well in our games test, with no ghosting no matter how fast the action.

The 226bw has both an HDCP-compliant DVI, for protected HD content when available, and D-sub connectors. It did well in our colour tests, producing vibrant, natural colours. Screen illumination is even, and viewing angles are very good, so there's no loss in quality even at extreme angles. All our test patterns were displayed well and the picture was generally very sharp and finely detailed. Its native resolution of 1,680x1,050 means there's plenty of room for all your applications.

The SyncMaster 226bw is a great monitor, but Samsung's 215TW (see below) is better. Although smaller, it has the same native resolution and costs the same, but has S-video, composite and component inputs, so it can be used for home entertainment as well as with your PC.

By Lynley Oram

Well brief or not at least it makes a point of mentioning whether the 226BW has decent viewing angles. This seems to jibe with the (seemingly) improved viewing angles of LG's new L226WT 22" 3000:1 LCD as seen in this thread.. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1130522&page=8

does this one have 1:1 scaling?

the gateway? yes it does

and it IS a TN but one of the better ones
asloong as your viewing it from level to abit above it it looks great
left and right viewing angles are great and vertical looking down looks great up to about ~170
but from under it looks crapy at even 120

other then that i love it

I got lucky with my 225BW. There is backlight bleed but nothing I can't handle. 90% of the time I don't notice. The biggest reason I got it over other 22" was that it was very adjustable. I'm said to see that that is ending with the 226BW.

Back