blacken

Weaksauce
Mother link: XtremeSystems Forums,
Courtesy: 3NZO

Chinese ref site in English

GF 8600
DSC09094.jpg

Wow, figured you guys would had been all over this by now :eek:
The Ultra looks like something worth buying with a 256bit memory bus. The GT sticks with it's 7600GT predecessors 128bit lane. Time and benchmarks will tell.

dx7dhshksjdhsaldadagk1.jpg

Courtesy: XSAlliN

Well I think I found the card for my spring Conroe Build, the 8600 Ultra.

I just don't see those guys working without a PCIe power connector. Given that the 8800GTX (roughly 2x that supposed 8600 Ultra), requires 2 power connectors, I would expect the mainstream parts (priced such as these) would require at least one.

What are these cards? Are they Dx10 compliant? Benches?

Yeah its the 8 series which is built for DX10. No benches yet, just leaked info if it is true. We will probably see this card released next spring time when ATI is rolling out there line.

I just don't see those guys working without a PCIe power connector. Given that the 8800GTX (roughly 2x that supposed 8600 Ultra), requires 2 power connectors, I would expect the mainstream parts (priced such as these) would require at least one.

Hmm good point. That makes you wonder now.

I think the goal was for the 8xxx series to be completely DX10 compliant. It's hard to understand the translated broken english, but I think what they are saying is because of DX10's advances, the 8600 should play DX10 games at a comparable 7600GT DX9 fps rate.
You'd think for DX9.0x, the Ultra would be quite a 'power house' as the 8800 is.

isnt the 8800GTX 90nm?

I also question the naming convention. "8600 Ultra" could easily be misconstrued by those not in the know as being better than the "8800 GTX". Of course, anyone looking seriously at the pricetag would immediately come to a different conclusion. I expect (though I certainly do not "know", by any means) NVIDIA will stick with the GT and GS models for the mainstream and low-end G80 parts, and I think they'll probably stick with GTX, GTS, and GT for the high-end.

Given that the 8800GTX (roughly 2x that supposed 8600 Ultra), requires 2 power connectors, I would expect the mainstream parts (priced such as these) would require at least one.
Funny logic. Since the PCI-E slot provides 75W and the 8600 Ultra core runs at a lower clock frequency I can see it not requiring any external power. Who knows what the reduction in SP frequency is on top of that, further lowering power consumption. nvidia stated that 8800GTX cards use between 140W and 170W.

It would actually be nicer if the 8600 Ultra shipped with an external power connector for overclocking. 75W isn't much of a range to play around with.

Funny logic. Since the PCI-E slot provides 75W and the 8600 Ultra core runs at a lower clock frequency I can see it not requiring any external power. Who knows what the reduction in SP frequency is on top of that, further lowering power consumption. nvidia stated that 8800GTX cards use between 140W and 170W.

It would actually be nicer if the 8600 Ultra shipped with an external power connector for overclocking. 75W isn't much of a range to play around with.

Good points.

8950GX2 :p

Anyways, little disapointing to here we might not see the 8600Ultra till fall, I might just wait for that. I wanted a DX10 card for spring since I just heard back from Microsoft and they said the free upgrades copies for Vist should ship Feb. 30. Donno if I should spring for a 8600GT now or wait for 8600Ultra in fall and then next year spring we'll have the 8900GS :(

8600gt now and 8800gts later in fall

You know thats actually a good way of looking at it, the 7800GT is still faster then a 7900GS and by fall the 8800GTS should of fallen below $250. So now the choice comes, spend $400 on a 8800GTS now or $150 on a 8600GT and another $250 in fall for the 8800GTS for a total of $400 :p (honestly, I'd go with the 8800GTS now then)

XFX XXX 8950GX2 Suber uber haxor Overclocked XX Edition Excluding HSF for $666 RRP :p

Or what about it's conterpart, the 8955MX 440 Edition? :p *Remind anyone of anything? :)*

So are these based off the G80 chip or are they different?

If the price on the Ultra is correct, I don't see many people buying the GTS :eek:

Well it will depend on what the preformace gain in DX10 is between the two. I wonder how good it is in DX9.

the ultra or a radeon x1900xt 512?

Whoops forgot about this.

High-end market :

GeForce 8800 series (GeForce 8900 series) --R600 (publication indefinitely)

Mid-level markets :

Graphics 8600Ultra--Radeon X1950XT (RV670 Q3 next year after the date of publication)

Graphics 8600GT--Radeon X1950Pro (RV630 release date in May next year)

Graphics 7600GT--Radeon X1650XT

Graphics 7600GS--Radeon X1650Pro. Radeon X1300XT

And low-end markets :

Graphics 8300GT--RV610 series (launched in May next year) Radeon X1650Pro

Graphics 8300GS--RV610 Series

Graphics 7300GT--Radeon X1300XT. Radeon X1600Pro, XT, Radeon X1550 and so on.

Along with the $300 GTS these cards will pretty much wipe the DX9 cards into the clearance bin.

Well I think I found the card for my spring Conroe Build, the 8600 Ultra.

QFT!!! I want the 512 MB one. In fact, since I have an SLI motherboard, I'm thinking that one of these would be excellent for now (whenever they hit Newegg) and then another one a few months later. BAM!

EDIT: Well crap. If it isn't coming out until Q3, then I might as well spring for an 8800 GTS. I wish ATI would hurry up and get something out soon. At least if nVidia had some competition we might see some price drops. As it is, they can pretty much sit on the midrange cards until widespread Vista release, and get more sales from the 8800 line. Though this might serve to make them better chips if they aren't rushed. Right now, nVidia has no competition.

Of course, there is no guarantee that any of this is more real than those supposed R600 benchmarks from a few weeks ago, either. :::sigh::: Release more products and less propaganda! Give us teh hardware!

QFT!!! I want the 512 MB one. In fact, since I have an SLI motherboard, I'm thinking that one of these would be excellent for now (whenever they hit Newegg) and then another one a few months later. BAM!

Yep, im even thinking of possibility of going SLI right then and there on a 650 based motherboard but Im going to wait and see what ATI has to offer as I already have a P5W DH motherboard laying around wanting to be used.

I was told by a NVIDIA rep right before the G80 hit the streets that they intended to make a newer version of the 8800GTX that utilized only the 8 pin connector. So my money is that these new cards utilitizes the optimizations made by NVIDIA, and also later in the year we should see another 8800GTX (or a 8900GTX) with GDDR4 RAM and only 1 8 Pin PCI-E connector.

Yep, im even thinking of possibility of going SLI right then and there on a 650 based motherboard but Im going to wait and see what ATI has to offer as I already have a P5W DH motherboard laying around wanting to be used.

derailment:

can the p5w dh still run SLI even though it's technically a 'crossfire' board?

EDIT: Well crap. If it isn't coming out until Q3, then I might as well spring for an 8800 GTS. I wish ATI would hurry up and get something out soon. At least if nVidia had some competition we might see some price drops. As it is, they can pretty much sit on the midrange cards until widespread Vista release, and get more sales from the 8800 line.

With the 86U at the proposed 180$, SLi would be easy on the budget, not to mention a combined 1gb of vid.mem :eek: Can't wait for the benchies and especialy for ATI to release the R600. I think we'll see the 8800GTS become quite popular @ sub 400$ as of a price drop. Just waiting on some competition from ATI I think.

Wish they would have benched the Ultra!

derailment:

As far as I know, only the 7x00 series can be run in SLI with a couple of cracked driver sets that were floating around on the P5W DH. I'm unsure on newer cards, as I haven't really looked at running them in SLI for awhile now.

EDIT: Here's the thread regarding this: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106212

derailment:

Yes, using the hacked drivers the P5W DH can run SLI. As can the BadAxe2, and the P5W64 WS Pro. ;)

Back