Setup for CPU Cooling

bhag

Weaksauce
Wanting to run this by you all before installing.

tj09_wc3.jpg

CPU cooling only at this point.
E6600
New Swiftech block most likely - Apogee GT
D5 pump
Black Ice Pro x-flow radiator 120.1

Not sure entirely about the best airflow pattern... all fans are 120mm. Any comments appreciated.

Looks good but I would spend a few bucks more and go 120.3 for a 6600 and room to grow a little when you get that new 8800gtx and want to cool it if you have the room for it.

Thanks.

Right now I don't want to mod the case (other than the fillport). If/when I decide to go for gpu cooling, etc I can always upgrade to the 120.3. I also want everything inside the case.

Any ideas about the airflow pattern?

no the air looks good. once it is together light something and let it smoke and watch it to see if it is runing over the ram and north bridge right. If not then turn one around or what ever. GL looks nice.

Give it a shot, but it might actually work better to reverse the flow of the rad. I remember being told that before I built my system, but I went with intake for rad anyway. Needless to say, my case temps are sky high and the exhausts out back are burning hot, especially out the psu, where there's almost a burning electrical smell. Clearly, psu won't last long like that so I plan on reversing soon.

edit: Of course it doesn't help that I'm using an ultra vpower 500 that runs hot as hell to begin with

where there's almost a burning electrical smell.

I surely don't want that! Actually this is one of my main reasons for posting. Will the cooling efficiency of the radiator drop significantly if using exhaust fans on it rather than intake? I'm not an extreme overclocker, maybe to 3.0-3.2 ghz -- watercooling for silence is as important to me as lower temps.

If I did this I would probably switch position of the radiator with the other exhaust fan on the top of the case so as to have an intake fan on the ram, etc.

I know there are lots of variables, I'm just thinking in broad terms... I will be using Yate Loon D12SL-12 120mm fans.

Thoughts?

I surely don't want that! Actually this is one of my main reasons for posting. Will the cooling efficiency of the radiator drop significantly if using exhaust fans on it rather than intake? I'm not an extreme overclocker, maybe to 3.0-3.2 ghz -- watercooling for silence is as important to me as lower temps.

If I did this I would probably switch position of the radiator with the other exhaust fan on the top of the case so as to have an intake fan on the ram, etc.

I know there are lots of variables, I'm just thinking in broad terms... I will be using Yate Loon D12SL-12 120mm fans.

Thoughts?

I was told it wouldn't drop much at all. I was also told that I didn't need to worry about extra intakes since there's a lot of openings thatll have air able to be drawn in..

Give it a shot, but it might actually work better to reverse the flow of the rad. I remember being told that before I built my system, but I went with intake for rad anyway. Needless to say, my case temps are sky high and the exhausts out back are burning hot, especially out the psu, where there's almost a burning electrical smell. Clearly, psu won't last long like that so I plan on reversing soon.

edit: Of course it doesn't help that I'm using an ultra vpower 500 that runs hot as hell to begin with

Something else is wrong and not the direction of the fan on the radiator. If your having problems with the way it is setup, then it would be even worse with air cooling. Keep in mind you not dumping any more heat into the case like that with water cooling then would already be there with air cooling. Ok, sure the pump puts out less than 20 Watts, but that is nothing.

Something else is wrong and not the direction of the fan on the radiator. If your having problems with the way it is setup, then it would be even worse with air cooling. Keep in mind you not dumping any more heat into the case like that with water cooling then would already be there with air cooling. Ok, sure the pump puts out less than 20 Watts, but that is nothing.

That's very true. But I wouldn't dare have run the voltages I'm running for cpu with my old air setup. With ac freezer7 and vcore in the 1.4's, I was seeing load temps at 80 and rising. Maybe I just have a hotter chip than most.

I'm still working on my setup to tame it down

Allright I guess I can try it pushing case air through the radiator and see how that goes. I have a feeling my case will have pretty good airflow in general.

Also... Now my loop flows pump -> cpu -> radiator.

Re-routing it to pump -> radiator -> cpu may be a better idea as the radiator most likely could deal the with 25w or so heat dump from the D5 pump.

I have had others recommend the AquaXtreme 50z pump - dumps much less heat into the loop than the D5... but I haven't been able to find much information on this pump.

EDIT: PIC UPDATED

Back