Custom bracket for double radiator up top inside for TJ09

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
I was trying to think up a custom bracket that you could make for the exaust spot up top in the TJ09 to mount a double 120 radiator, but can't seem to come up with anything. I would remove the 2 fan holders that have 4 screws each and somehow make a bracket that would mount on those screw holes to hold the two fans close to together/touching because before they had a gap between. Mounting a double 120 radiator would me almost impossible without modding. I'm not any good at modding or welding or anthing like that so could someone possibly give me an idea for a bracket that could be made to get 2 120mm fans touching or whatever so a radiator can be mounted right underneath them up top. I would really like to mount a double 120mm radiator up there instead of 2 120mm radiators which would screw up there easy, as to minimize the resisitance.

We're working with the same case Dutt. Off the top of my head I could think of some ways to make a bracket with a sheet of metal and my Dremel but it would probably turn out to be too ghetto. Also Home Depot or Lowes may have some metal brackets you could use/put together... again ghetto.

Would this work? Could it be mounted inside a case? Rad Box. One problem would be that the radiator fans wouldn't line up with the top openings. Could always put the radiator on the outside/back of the case.

I personally am looking to keep all components inside the case and I'm only cooling my cpu currently. My TJ09 thread.

We're working with the same case Dutt. Off the top of my head I could think of some ways to make a bracket with a sheet of metal and my Dremel but it would probably turn out to be too ghetto. Also Home Depot or Lowes may have some metal brackets you could use/put together... again ghetto.

Would this work? Could it be mounted inside a case? Rad Box. One problem would be that the radiator fans wouldn't line up with the top openings. Could always put the radiator on the outside/back of the case.

I personally am looking to keep all components inside the case and I'm only cooling my cpu currently. My TJ09 thread.

I would prefer to keep everything in the case like you. I also would prefer to use a multiple fan radiator instead of using single fan radiators. If I need to I will just end up using 2 single 120mm fan radiators up top instead of modding a dual 120mm fan up there. I was told it would have a slight increase in flow resistance, but not much to cause a huge affect. Personally, I don't see how it would make a difference because the water is still going through the same amound of radiator, but apparently it makes a small difference. I'm only going to be cooling the cpu because my video card, 8800gtx, overclocks as far as I want to get the performance boost I wanted. I'm just not sure If 1 120mm radiator will be enough or if I should do 240mm worth of radiator. I may try to take some meausurements and see what kind of bracket I can have the family metal part manufacturing business put together for me. It would be small so I don't think it would be too hard.

If anyone here has a TJ09 and is experienced in welding and making custom brackets and stuff like this, I could really use your expertise. If you could maybe draw something up and maybe pm me and email it to me that would be even better. If you have a TJ09 then you would know what I am talking about. Removing the fan holders via 4 screws each and then use those screw holes to attach a bracket that would basically have holes to screw 2 120mm fans to so they are touching/the right width apart so that a double 120mm radiator can be attached to the bottom of the fans.

I've got 48" of 3/4" aluminum angle. I'm planning to drill / tap it where the fan brackets are and drill it so that the rad screws to it. The L shape will have one side running vertical where the case fan mount bracket is and one horizontal where the rad is. It'll be long enough to catch all four fan mounting holes per side and the L will be with the vertical part up top and the horizontal part down so that the rad is below the piece of case roof running across the top (between the fans) by 3/4" so that the case won't have to be modded thereby keeping the value intact.

I've got 48" of 3/4" aluminum angle. I'm planning to drill / tap it where the fan brackets are and drill it so that the rad screws to it. The L shape will have one side running vertical where the case fan mount bracket is and one horizontal where the rad is. It'll be long enough to catch all four fan mounting holes per side and the L will be with the vertical part up top and the horizontal part down so that the rad is below the piece of case roof running across the top (between the fans) by 3/4" so that the case won't have to be modded thereby keeping the value intact.

Could you maybe draw up a rough idea of what you are talking about on paint or take a picture when you are done mounting these brackets? It sounds like you have a good thing going.

Pics please! ... When you get it complete. Sounds very interesting.

Will do on the pics, my paint skills are nil and I don't have a scanner so trying to do a drawing would be at best a study in preschool 'fridge art or at worst something that looks like a cross between a malaria germ and a can full of worms.

One problem I can see is that the fans won't be aligned with the grill/mesh. Might not make that much difference.

All in all, I'm leaning toward using two 120.1 Black Ice Pros. For CPU cooling only, I think it'll work just fine.

I'm putting the fans under the rad on mine so their alignment won't matter.

One problem I can see is that the fans won't be aligned with the grill/mesh. Might not make that much difference.

All in all, I'm leaning toward using two 120.1 Black Ice Pros. For CPU cooling only, I think it'll work just fine.

I've been told it would be more than fine and then some. I'm thinking you could probably cool gpu with that as well, but if you are cooling just cpu like I would be, it would be more than plenty.

How does this look? I think it would work.

TJ09_insidetop.jpg

TJ09_topmeasure2.jpg

I could probably get those "L" brackets to hold the radiator. Would need to find the right sizes. What is the weight of a 120.2?

Hey... modding without cutting.

The one problem I see is that I will lose a little surface area where that middle bar is. The other option is to align it where one fan will be perfectly aligned and the other only partly aligned. I kind of like it better as the picture shows it.

Remember I'm only cooling a CPU (E6600 maybe overclocked to 3 ghz).

Better than two separate radiators? Less tubing but not sure about efficiency.

EDIT: Also with this I could get a better quality radiator like the Swiftech MCR-220 vs two Black Ice Pro 120.1

Looks Like a good plan so far. I'd like to see it totally mounted to get the real picture.

Looks good to me, as long as your brackets dont interfere with the side covers. As for the Rad, I like it centered as well. I wouldnt worry too much about the crossbar.

Looks good to me, as long as your brackets dont interfere with the side covers. As for the Rad, I like it centered as well. I wouldnt worry too much about the crossbar.

I think there is plenty of room between the side panels (approx 1cm) to put a screw there for the L bracket.

The MCR-220 I'm thinking about is just a little longer then the Black Ice Pro II but that shouldn't change much.

I really think that just one 120mm rad will do fine if you are only cooling the cpu. Save the modding untill you start to throw the gpu(s) and or chipsets into the loop.

A few quick shots showing how I'm going to mount the MCR220. First I removed the fan mounts from the top of the case - just unscrew.

DSC_0102.JPG

Brackets cut down with the Dremel. Got these corner braces at Lowes.

DSC_0100.JPG

Attached to fans/radiator.

DSC_0097.JPG

DSC_0098.JPG

Mounts perfectly. :) Just need to find the right size screw/nut to fit.

One step further would be to remove the center bar under the mesh. Right now I plan on leaving it and seeing what my temps are.

would you know by any chance the size of those L Brackets you bought? I mean, what is the length of each side of the bracket?

Also, where in Lowe's did you find those brackets?

By the way, that looks awesome. From the looks of it, you might not have to remove the bar under the mesh because your rad looks like it will be far enough down away from the mesh that it won't affect your air flow. I think when I do mine, I'm gonna paint my brackets black to blend in better.

The brackets are 2.5 inches on each side. I think they're in the fastener section, maybe called corner brackets or corner supports. Also, there is some space between the mesh and radiator so the bar will stay in place for now. I still have to locate the proper size screw and nut to fit in the horizontal bracket attached to the case - shouldn't be too hard to locate. And yeah, I'll probably paint them black too. From bracket to bracket is about 5.75 inches and the space to mount is 6 inches... might have to use a 1/8 inch spacer... not sure.

Very nice! Thats the only thing I dislike about the TJ-07 and TJ-09 is the annoying spaced out fans and non-standard mounting that makes putting a radiator up top difficult.

I'd like to see someone cut enough room for a 3x120 rad at the top. I don't think it would be particularly difficult to do, but replicating that nice lip on the stock hole would be pretty dicey.

I've been looking to do something like this with a TJ09, but with a triple rad. I think instead I'll just mount a Thermochill PA120.2 up top and a PA120.1 at the rear exhaust location if needed. Considering how hard it is to really load up a PA120.2, this may prove to be unneeded.

very very nice, filing away for future use.

You will paint em black and get some sexy black hex head cap screws ? right ? right ? :p

Back