FP241WZ Out?

I wouldn't trust it. Amazon has a nasty habit of indicating availability when the item really isn't available. If you notice, it says that it usually ships withing 8-11 days! :eek:

I wouldn't trust it. Amazon has a nasty habit of indicating availability when the item really isn't available. If you notice, it says that it usually ships withing 8-11 days! :eek:
Agreed... that Amazon page for the FP241WZ has been up for a while now. I looked a couple of weeks ago and it said "ships in 8 to 11 days," as it does now. I doubt they ever had stock for this monitor. I much prefer Newegg's system for these types of purchases, since they don't seem to put up a page for a product until they actually have it on hand (in my experience, at least).

I just stumbled across this article on the FP241WZ. Apparently, it uses a PVA panel (presumably made by Samsung, since PVA is exclusive to them) whereas the FP241W uses an AUO MVA panel. Huh. It also does not use true BFI (black-frame-insertion) as the BenQ website advertises, but rather a derivative of Samsung's MPA (motion picture adaptive) technology...which they actually implement in an inferior manner to Samsung's MPA.

What I don't understand is that first they say this: "This is a PVA panel, which produces strong twinkling effects in all color scales. It’s much higher than that of MVA 8 ms panels. This makes us regret that BenQ hasn't chosen this AU Optronics technology." So a vote in favor of the FP241W with the AUO panel.

But then at the end of the article they recommend that you buy the 'Z' as opposed to the original FP241W, even though they are not wowed by the "BFI" implementation.

Hmm....now I am not sure which monitor to lust after. If they both used the same panel, then you could just get the 'Z' model since you can always turn off the BFI feature if you don't want it. But it looks like it uses a slightly inferior panel, you have to measure which is more important: better panel, or BFI.

Mofongo

I just stumbled across this article on the FP241WZ. Apparently, it uses a PVA panel (presumably made by Samsung, since PVA is exclusive to them) whereas the FP241W uses an AUO MVA panel. Huh. It also does not use true BFI (black-frame-insertion) as the BenQ website advertises, but rather a derivative of Samsung's MPA (motion picture adaptive) technology...which they actually implement in an inferior manner to Samsung's MPA.

What I don't understand is that first they say this: "This is a PVA panel, which produces strong twinkling effects in all color scales. It’s much higher than that of MVA 8 ms panels. This makes us regret that BenQ hasn't chosen this AU Optronics technology." So a vote in favor of the FP241W with the AUO panel.

But then at the end of the article they recommend that you buy the 'Z' as opposed to the original FP241W, even though they are not wowed by the "BFI" implementation.

Hmm....now I am not sure which monitor to lust after. If they both used the same panel, then you could just get the 'Z' model since you can always turn off the BFI feature if you don't want it. But it looks like it uses a slightly inferior panel, you have to measure which is more important: better panel, or BFI.

Mofongo
Yes, that article was posted a while ago and has caused a lot of confusion. According to TFTCentral, BenQ has stated that this info is incorrect, and that the final version of the FP241WZ uses the same panel as the FP241W, and that it uses true BFI, not what was described in that article. Here is the link. It's possible that Behardware somehow got their hands on a preproduction model. In any case, I don't think we're going to get accurate information on this monitor until they've actually started shipping it. Until then, everything is essentially speculation.

Yes, that article was posted a while ago and has caused a lot of confusion. According to TFTCentral, BenQ has stated that this info is incorrect, and that the final version of the FP241WZ uses the same panel as the FP241W, and that it uses true BFI, not what was described in that article. Here is the link. It's possible that Behardware somehow got their hands on a preproduction model. In any case, I don't think we're going to get accurate information on this monitor until they've actually started shipping it. Until then, everything is essentially speculation.

Geez...I thought I'd finally found some actual facts instead of conjecture. I had seen the article that you mention, but had hoped that the behardware one was better informed.

Just to add more fuel to the speculative fire, there is also this article (translated from Chinese) that states that the FP241W uses the P-MVA, but the FP241WZ uses the A-MVA panel (both by AUO). A-MVA is supposed to have superior color, so I have been holding out for the FP241WZ, because I figured that A-MVA is better than P-MVA, and if I end up not liking the whole BFI thing, I could just turn it off.

So there is still hope for this scenario. I think you're right that we will just have to wait and see.

Mofongo

Good to hear. If the WZ uses a superior panel (that is not PVA,) and properly supports 1:1 and aspect ratio control, I will probably be getting this monitor.

The WZ has gone in and out of stock at several resellers over the last couple of weeks. Buy.com, TechOnWeb, and others all had them at one time or another. TigerDirect says they have them now, for $799.99 plus shipping.

EDIT: geesh, I just checked TD's shipping, and it's insane, like in the $40 to $50 range!

Back