HOT: Fry's Pentium D 805 OEM with Mobo, $78!!

Just bought 2 (courtesy of my GF in tow for box #2), best deal I've seen on a dual core setup yet. I plan to use these in a small Render Farm, should work really well for that task :) B&M only as far as I know, it's part of the Saturday ad for So Cal. I got mine at the Fry's at Crossroads Parkway off the 60 near the 605.

Sounds like a hot deal for the HardFolders too... I use an 805D myself.

Probably an ECS motherboard, Fry's likes to hand them out with all their proccessor deals.

Ive bought alot of these as well. They are ECS motherboards and i OC'ed the 2.8 to 3.1 on fan.

at least you had the possibility of getting one =/

seeing all these frys deals really .... gets to me...

$99 was for the D 820. ;)

I'm surprised Fry's still sells either CPU.

No its had this deal for 2 months now.

Last month it was $99 now its $89

Well they've been in and out, it's not like the deal is on all day, every day. I saw them for $99 (same combo) in December, so I was shocked as hell to see that it was only $78 today.

Oh, and for those who asked, it comes with the ECS P4M800 Pro. 3PCI, 1 AGP, 2DDR, 2 DDRII, decent but nothing fancy. Hell, for $78 all inclusive, though, it's still a steal for anyone doing folding/rendering/SETI or anything similar.

Well they've been in and out, it's not like the deal is on all day, every day. I saw them for $99 (same combo) in December, so I was shocked as hell to see that it was only $78 today.

Oh, and for those who asked, it comes with the ECS P4M800 Pro. 3PCI, 1 AGP, 2DDR, 2 DDRII, decent but nothing fancy. Hell, for $78 all inclusive, though, it's still a steal for anyone doing folding/rendering/SETI or anything similar.

I asked them about 1 week ago. They said the deal is all month long. If they want to keep the deal its another month.

The biggest disadvantage to the ECS P4M800 Pro v2 motherboard Fry's has been bundling with almost all cheap LGA775 deals lately is that it only supports single channel memory. :(

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...73&DetailName=Specification&MenuID=44&LanID=9

"Single-channel DDR memory architecture"

There were a couple of deals that I passed on because of that. I <3 my 2 ECS S939 motherboards. Very, very cheap and they even overclock decently.

I can't stand ECS mobo's, i'd rather plug a cpu into a block of cheddar cheese because the cpu might actually run better. however, for $78 this makes for a great folding machine. i might wanna pick up one or two to upgrade my present boxen.

I can't stand ECS mobo's, i'd rather plug a cpu into a block of cheddar cheese because the cpu might actually run better. however, for $78 this makes for a great folding machine. i might wanna pick up one or two to upgrade my present boxen.

How would you plug a socket 775 CPU into cheese? :p

its actually easier with a socket 478 cpu into cheese, but the 775 just takes a few extra seconds. take the cheese and heat it in the microwave for like 15 seconds and the cpu will slip right in. once in place try to boot your computer. when it self destructs, call Kraft cheese and they will be way more helpful then ECS tech support.

its actually easier with a socket 478 cpu into cheese, but the 775 just takes a few extra seconds. take the cheese and heat it in the microwave for like 15 seconds and the cpu will slip right in. once in place try to boot your computer. when it self destructs, call Kraft cheese and they will be way more helpful then ECS tech support.

I love when threads devolve into comedy, LOL. Sadly, MODS don't always agree...

all comedy aside, what is the final price tag on this combo? i hear some people saying 78, i hear some saying 99. is this a geographical difference? its about a 30 minutes drive to fry's for me so it'd be nice to know.

all comedy aside, what is the final price tag on this combo? i hear some people saying 78, i hear some saying 99. is this a geographical difference? its about a 30 minutes drive to fry's for me so it'd be nice to know.

Could be a geographical difference I guess. In So Cal Los Angeles locations it's $78. After tax they were $85 apiece, so basically I got out with 4 CPU cores and 2 mobo's for $170. Not bad at all :D

Hey my dad has a 3.2ghz HT and he wants dual core so i told him about this deal. He wants to run alot of programs without having a problem. This will do the job right?

Hey guys I have a old computer with a amd64 2800 on it and was wondering if changing to teh d805 would be a significant change or should I just spring for the 820?

I had a 2600+ and i changed to the 2.8 games ran faster but nothing to much. I could run alot more programs but not much improvements game wise.

Hey guys I have a old computer with a amd64 2800 on it and was wondering if changing to teh d805 would be a significant change or should I just spring for the 820?

You aren't going to see a huge framerate increase from it, but it would give smoother performance with the dual cores. I love the fact that my dual cores never hiccup with one proc doing the housecleaning tasks and the other proc gaming!

P.S. I wish there were a Fry's here... :-(

Hey my dad has a 3.2ghz HT and he wants dual core so i told him about this deal. He wants to run alot of programs without having a problem. This will do the job right?

Can someone awnser this questions please. Thanks.

Can someone awnser this questions please. Thanks.

From what I've noticed (Went from P4 3.0C --> Pent D 805) it does. I used to run 1 game and it'd bog my system down a lot. Now I can run games, winamp, textpad, and have Firefox open w/ 5 tabs and it runs surprisingly fast for the $87 investment. (what I paid a few months ago)

It's definitely a good bang-for-your-buck chip, but if you buy the Core 2 Duo E6300 at $195 (WOW it used to be 180 a few months ago!) it's a lot better for what you are looking for. You might have to upgrade the motherboard though. I picked up an ECS P4M890 cheap which can use the 805 and Core2Duo chips for future upgrade.

From what I've noticed (Went from P4 3.0C --> Pent D 805) it does. I used to run 1 game and it'd bog my system down a lot. Now I can run games, winamp, textpad, and have Firefox open w/ 5 tabs and it runs surprisingly fast for the $87 investment. (what I paid a few months ago)

It's definitely a good bang-for-your-buck chip, but if you buy the Core 2 Duo E6300 at $195 (WOW it used to be 180 a few months ago!) it's a lot better for what you are looking for. You might have to upgrade the motherboard though. I picked up an ECS P4M890 cheap which can use the 805 and Core2Duo chips for future upgrade.

That and more RAM. You really should give it more headroom with two cores. 1 gig is what I consider a minimum for the dual core setups. I run 2 gigs in all my game systems. Yes, it should do what your father wants surprisingly well.

EDIT: spelling..... D'oh!

Fry's ALWAYS has these deals, where for the cost of a CPU they'll usually throw in a crappy ECS motherboard (ie the one mentioned), or sometimes for a few bucks more a not as crappy P965 board. So don't cry too much about missing out on a deal, there will be more in coming weeks.. you can get a Core 2 Duo E6400 with the same motherboard for $229.99 which isn't much more than newegg's price on just the chip.

Eitherway the SJ Mercury newspaper has everyday's ads online, so if you're someone like me who lives too far north of Fry's to get adverts (San Francisco), but not too far to drive if there's something to get.
http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=32664

well i picked one of these up and as usual blew a total of $325 as always happens when i go to frys. i just wish they had better socket 775 coolers, i paid more for a crappy thermaltake cooler then i did for my Arctic cooler hsf for my C2D system.

Did anyone get one of these and try to OC it? I got one of the P4M800PRO-M boards with a Pentium D 915 2.8 chip back in August (when I was at Quakecon) in another of those deals that Fry's runs all the time. I haven't been able to overclock it far past 3 GHz, which I suppose I could probably attribute to the fact that the board can only over-volt the CPU 0.03 V. Is this a normal threshold for voltage on Socket 775 CPUs (don't know much about OCing them) or is it just that the board sucks and that's the reason why it doesn't go any further? (else my chip sucks) FYI I have a Zalman 7700-Cu HSF on there (sorta funny that my HSF cost more than my mobo did :-D) Or any other tips for OCing on this board (the best I can)? I know that ECS boards are far from the best but mine's worked great for the past few months that I've had it (aside from crappy built-in sound quality but I have a soundcard anyway) and it'll have to do for now.

Sorry for going a little off-topic; just thought that someone here might possibly have some advice for me (and others as well who are getting these boards.) Thanks!

i just picked up the deal with the D 805 and am getting it up and running now. so we will see if i can get the 2.66 OC'ed up to 3.0

Did anyone get one of these and try to OC it? I got one of the P4M800PRO-M boards with a Pentium D 915 2.8 chip back in August (when I was at Quakecon) in another of those deals that Fry's runs all the time. I haven't been able to overclock it far past 3 GHz, which I suppose I could probably attribute to the fact that the board can only over-volt the CPU 0.03 V. Is this a normal threshold for voltage on Socket 775 CPUs (don't know much about OCing them) or is it just that the board sucks and that's the reason why it doesn't go any further? (else my chip sucks) FYI I have a Zalman 7700-Cu HSF on there (sorta funny that my HSF cost more than my mobo did :-D) Or any other tips for OCing on this board (the best I can)? I know that ECS boards are far from the best but mine's worked great for the past few months that I've had it (aside from crappy built-in sound quality but I have a soundcard anyway) and it'll have to do for now.

Sorry for going a little off-topic; just thought that someone here might possibly have some advice for me (and others as well who are getting these boards.) Thanks!

Well, I got that exact same combo back in august, except I sold the board on ebay and put the chip in with some pretty good parts through deals like Open-Box from newegg, etc (middle machine in sig) and got it clocked up to 4ghz currently on air. Right now, with our current houston weather it's running at a mere 50c, and I bet I could go a good bit higher (I've been up to 4.2 before stable, but jesus it was hot in this room when running dual prime) but since it'll warm up in a week or more probly, I'm not gonna waste my time. 4ghz is plenty :p

I know that tells you almost nothing, but it's your chip probly isn't that bad, it's probly the board. I never even booted my board, just sold it to offset the cost of the chip basically, and bought a new board out of pocket.

i just picked up the deal with the D 805 and am getting it up and running now. so we will see if i can get the 2.66 OC'ed up to 3.0

Let us know how it goes! I haven't had time yet to build either of mine, but I probably won't OC them anyway since I want to use both for rendering (One for 3D, the other for video on an NLE box) and in those cases you want accuracy more than a minor speed bump :D

Good luck!

They dont come with heat sink and fan.

Their old deal of $89 for 805 dual 2.8ghz with heatsink and fan.

Everytime I see these I wish more and more we had Fry's in my area of VA. Could use one of these right about now.

My combo is running at 3.5 ghz not quite dual prime stable (think I need to use a better PSU - currently using a generic 430 Watt) I am using the cnps9500 which is keeping the processor nice and cool. This board actually OCs surprisingly well. Oh and if people really want more voltage options there is a way to ground some of the pins or unground them that will allow you to adjust the voltage, but it is not simple.

Good luck to you, I have the P4M800 PRO-M V.1 and can't get any stable OC on it. Got it on a Fry's special like this one last year.

I had the single core version of this chip with this board and it wouldn't OC at all.

Their older deal was with an Xpress 200 chipset ECS board and that would OC the 805 to 3.4Ghz or so on stock voltage. I even slapped a 7600GT into that system as a back up gaming rig.

So i first was easily able to get this to OC to 3.2ghz on a crappy HSF. when i went to install my arctic cooling freezer pro 7 and some new ram it wouldn't POST. so i took it in and got the mobo replaces free and tried to OC again and it won't boot past 2.9ghz. It might be the RAM i purchased even though it is faster then the old stuff. i'll let you know after i get my second combo built up if it'll OC any higher.

Back