Which upgrade path? C2D?

Which upgrade path?

• Total voters

alg7_munif

Supreme [H]ardness
My current setup is in my sig, now I wanted more performance since I'm playing games at 1600x1200/1920x1200 on my 2407WFP but I can't decide between these two paths:

Path 1:
8800GTX ($580)

Path 2:
C2D E6300 ($195) + MSI P965 Neo-F LGA ($92) + GeIL Ultra 2GB ($220) + X-Fi XtremeGamer ($90) for the hardware accelerated sound. All together =$597

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Should I go with an X-Fi that has the X-Ram and save a bit with a cheaper system RAM?

My current setup is in my sig, now I wanted more performance since I'm playing games at 1600x1200/1920x1200 on my 2407WFP but I can't decide between these two paths:

Path 1:
8800GTX ($580)

Path 2:
C2D E6300 ($195) + MSI P965 Neo-F LGA ($92) + GeIL Ultra 2GB ($220) + X-Fi XtremeGamer ($90) for the hardware accelerated sound. All together =$597

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Should I go with an X-Fi that has the X-Ram and save a bit with a cheaper system RAM?

8800!

Thank for the posts, I saw two people vote for the C2D. Can you guys tell me some reasons why I should choose path 1 or path 2?

Right now it would be better to have better whole system performance than just better GPU performance.

Right now it would be better to have better whole system performance than just better GPU performance.

he wants to game at 1920x1200 and no amount of cpu power will make that 7950GT handle games at 1920x1200 with acceptable detail settings. IMO there is no reason for him to upgrade to C2D because the opteron processor is still fairly decent.

he wants to game at 1920x1200 and no amount of cpu power will make that 7950GT handle games at 1920x1200 with acceptable detail settings. IMO there is no reason for him to upgrade to C2D because the opteron processor is still fairly decent.

Or he could wait until March when the prices drop around 20-40%.

I'd go with 8800 for now if its a pure gaming machine you looking for.

WOW - that'll be a lovely rig...I'm goin' green:p

at that resolution, on that monitor, with your current setup, you'd be nuts to suggest the C2D upgrade path.

The C2D may be better at everything, then the K8 procs, but the suggestion that it would give a bigger bump in FPS then a brand spankin new 8800 is stupid. You will see much better gaming for the 8800. Anyone whos says otherwise needs to do some research.

Green light for the 8800GTX

Go for the 8800. You want gaming performance, get that gaming performance. You're processor is nothing to frown at, just not the absolute best. The 8800 will offer the in game performance to run your games at high resolutions plain and simple, processor upgrades in general lead to very gradual and small processing changes. An upgrade to that powerful of a graphics card will not just be minor.

Can you elaborate more? I don't think that my current setup is too slow to run the 8800GTX.

I posted my reason why on another forum but I will add my 2 pennies here.

If money is the limit, I easily say go 8800GTX for the most bang for the Buck. The other poster who said "he wants to game at 1920x1200 and no amount of cpu power will make that 7950GT handle games at 1920x1200 with acceptable detail settings."" Excellent point. His reply MAYBE should have stopped there. Very few of us use our computer as a giant X-Box or Playstation 3. If I did at least, I just go buy one of those and save a lot of money.

Yet, just because it is the best bang for the Buck, doesn't mean it is the best upgrade. Just the best for that one scenario. If money isn't that much of an Issue, then E6700 that doesn't even require overclocking to get 3GHz+ AMD performance is the best for another scenario. E6600 without overclocking performs closer to an FX-62. "IMO there is no reason for him to upgrade to C2D because the Opteron processor is still fairly decent." Is where I wholeheartedly disagree. IMHO an E6700 rig with the 8800GTX would last a long time before any app could bring it to a crawl. Then even when it does, it is compat with Intel's Quad Core for more ump!:D

So as I said before, UPGRADING to a C2D is not a waste of money and yes even right NOW is still a very good option. and a better one after the price Cuts Intel and AMD are planning. Upgrading is always GRAY and never black and white. I'm a !!!!!! alright, a !!!!!! of my Wallet.;) 8800GTX and sticking with you current is Good option.

Lol, I'm asking for an upgrade path, not asking for a new system build. If I wanna buy a new system, I would wait a little more until Vista is out and ATi comes out with a new Direct3D 10 cards. At that time most probably I'll buy a quad core CPU. I don't see any good reason for me to buy a new system right now. Changing the whole components is not considered as an upgrade to me but more like building a new system. I just need to add a PSU, a harddrive and a case and I can have two working system, which is not my intention now.

Back