Not using official Sony components? Your warrantee is void

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
From AVS forum
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789061

Just got off the phone with Sony Support. Because I have a generic brand of component cables, instead of officially licensed Sony components, Sony has voided the warrantee on my PS3 and will only replace it for $150 dollars!

Their product fails, yet they wiggle out of responsibility. Yeah Im sure that component cables can kill a system.
rolleyes.gif
and even if that were the case. What does that say about the system if it can be killed so easily.

So now my system boots up and sits there with a blank screen.

Thank god I kept the receipt. Target allows for exchanges for 90 days or full refund.

My hats off to Target for sticking with their policy. My middle finger to Sony for shirking theirs.

Figured a warning to all of you. If you have issues. LIE! Tell them everything is licensed Sony accessories.

Wow. Just wow. I'm sure if the guy complained enough he'd get it returned but that policy is just stupid.

I guess that using a MadCatz controller somehow screws up your system, too.

Though in Sony's defense, almost every manufacturer has stupid rules like this.

Umm... I thought it was pretty standard practice to lie to any odd questions customer services ask you?

Yeah, when the PS1 was big my friend got one for Christmas. I already had one and I brought my Mad Katz controller over. When we plugged it up nothing worked. Unplugged it and nothing worked. Called Sony and they said "oh, the Mad Katz broke the PS1 and because you use it you've voided the warranty KKTHX have a nice day!"

Luckily we took it back to Wal-Mart and swapped it out easily, but I've been a bit skiddish of Sony ever since.

So what...if you've got a Sony brand HDTV and you use non-Sony brand cables (I don't even think Sony makes their own brand name component cables...)and your TV breaks it voids the warranty too? That's just ridiculous...

Even with the testimony of another [H]ard member, I still find this hard to believe. I mean, such a policy is insane.

wow that is completely messed up, next thing you know: if you do not use a SONY TV you warranty is VOID!!!

Even with the testimony of another [H]ard member, I still find this hard to believe. I mean, such a policy is insane.
Not necessarily. I can see the need for that policy. What if a company (like Mad Catz) made a component cable that happened to have some defect that fried every PS3 it was plugged in to? Without that policy, Sony would be on the hook for replacing all those PS3s. Or even better, what if I modded my Mad Catz controller, and hooked it up to somehow feed power back Into the PS3s ports, killing it in the process. Sony would have no recourse against me.

However, that doesn't explain Sony using it as a scapegoat, since clearly the use of a mad Catz controller won't fry a ps3. My guess is Sony told their CSR's to refuse warrantee service on any PS3 that used 3rd party accessories due to the lack of PS3s available in the market.

3rd party cables, etc, are still liscensed by sony. What they are doing is bsing you.

This is class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

This shoud be a shock to no one, its in damn near every game console manual ever made (sony or otherwise). Which is why only the dumbest of the dumb would call up customer service and tell them that a 3rd party accessory was anywhere near their console.

Yeah, MS always asks me if my 360 is plugged into a 3rd party power surge, or if i have a cooling thing on it, cuz they will void ur shit like that.

3rd party cables, etc, are still liscensed by sony. What they are doing is bsing you.

This is class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

Not all 3rd party accessories are licensed, especially not the generic stuff like what the AVS guy was using, which is why there are warnings about their use in the warranties of all the game consoles.

If the 3rd party accessory caused the problem, clearly Sony is not required to warrant their products.

However, if the 3rd party accessory had nothing to do with the failure, Sony is obliged to honor their warranty. To do otherwise is illegal (seriously, it is).

Yeah, MS always asks me if my 360 is plugged into a 3rd party power surge, or if i have a cooling thing on it, cuz they will void ur shit like that.

3rd party power surge? Isnt every power surge third party or does Microsoft make a power surge to use with the 360? Or are you talking about the power brick? Im confused:p

I'm glad I paid the $60 for the EB games warranty. Something goes wrong, I don't even pick up the phone. 15 miles later I have a new PS3.

Component cables killing a system. Yeah.

WTF?! You have to buy a Microsoft Power Surge Protector?!

I am sorry your warranty is voided since you did not have all Sony products in your residence, in fact if your house was not built by us, Sony, along with all your utilities coming from us, Sony, then your warranty is void... hehe..

Yeah but I would never have admitted to using 3rd party accessories or parts either... its just one of those things, never under any circumstance or situation allow the blame to passed unto yourself through admitting something. :)

Not all of them.

If I were that person, I would have called back because Sony doesn't have optical cables OR HDMI cables "For use with the PS3". I would say that the person who took the call doesn't know WTF they are talking about.

And c'mon. Lie damn it. I could piss on my PS3 and if it broke, I'd tell Sony "It just stopped working".

for what its worth, i can vouch. at Best Buy, Sony refused to replace a TV that broke because we had hooked it up with 'standard cable' :rolleyes:

we had to open a new Sony TV (thus losing money), but the Sony rep got an earful

Every single console has this same policy. Stop crying wolf over nothing.

Only an idiot would admit to such a thing in the first place. Nintendo and Microsoft would have voided their warranty just the same.

XBOX 360 Warranty
E. EXCLUSIONS FROM LIMITED WARRANTY
This Limited Warranty shall not apply and Microsoft has no liability under this Limited Warranty if the Xbox Product:
  • is used with products not sold or licensed by Microsoft (including, but not limited to, non-licensed games and game enhancement devices, adaptors and power supply sources) or which are otherwise incompatible.
Nintendo Wii Warranty
  1. This Warranty shall not apply:
    1. If the Wii™ is connected to any voltage other than shown on the compliance label or unapproved and unlicensed products are used with the Wii™.

I know MS and Nintendo couldn't (as they don't sell them) but Sony could technically use that disclaimer to void your warranty if you didn't connect it to a Sony TV.

(don't flame me, that comment just for fun)

3rd party power surge? Isnt every power surge third party or does Microsoft make a power surge to use with the 360? Or are you talking about the power brick? Im confused:p

the brick. They told me if i had it plugged into any type of surge protector it would be void. They said the brick is made to plug directly into the wall.

the brick. They told me if i had it plugged into any type of surge protector it would be void. They said the brick is made to plug directly into the wall.

Of course. That's expected since, you know, we all have 6 wall outlets directly behind our televisions for our receivers, televisions, game consoles, DVD players, cable/satellite boxes, etc. etc. etc.

Sigh... Gotta love stupid warranty rules.

As big as a team of lawyers sony and Microsoft has, its bullying.

The fact is, YOU NEVER SIGNED A CONTRACT. You're basically now the bully. If they deny you warrantee, you can do whatever you what.

I suggest anyone who gets denied warranty to hire a good lawyer and take it up in court. Unless you sign a contract or an EULA, they have no rights to make up rules on the spot. You could argue that they could make one of the rules in their warrantee would be that if you don't buy their products they'll come and kill you... And then what?

Where the fuck is there logic? I would surely plug any type of electronic device into a Power surge protector, least of all one piece that costs $600+! :mad:

I can almost say for certain, that if you plugged your brick directly into an outlet and a power surge destroyed your console, the company would not come good.

Like I said, if someone tells you that, hire a good lawyer, fight it out in court. Fight it out for the cost of the product and then some.

Try looking it up, no one has a right to make up rules on the spot unless you signed a contract.

What they are doing is illegal. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court.

The fact is, YOU NEVER SIGNED A CONTRACT. You're basically now the bully. If they deny you warrantee, you can do whatever you what.

I suggest anyone who gets denied warranty to hire a good lawyer and take it up in court. Unless you sign a contract or an EULA, they have no rights to make up rules on the spot. You could argue that they could make one of the rules in their warrantee would be that if you don't buy their products they'll come and kill you... And then what?
Like I said, if someone tells you that, hire a good lawyer, fight it out in court. Fight it out for the cost of the product and then some.

Try looking it up, no one has a right to make up rules on the spot unless you signed a contract.

What they are doing is illegal. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court.

You have no idea what you are talking about. As a matter of fact, I have no idea what you are talking about. Who is making up rules on the spot? It's in the warranty, as it is for Nintendo and Microsoft.

Hire a lawyer and fight it out for the cost of the warranty. Nice. $25/400/600. A lawyer would cost thousands. How old are you? Just wondering since anyone who has dealt with a lawyer or have heard of someone dealign with a lawyer or known someone who knew someone who knew someone who dealt with a lawyer can tell you this.

You don't sign a contract or EULA when dealing with goods. According to your logic the damn warranty itself is no good since nobody signed anything.

Three letters for you to lookup if wanting to get more knowledgable about this: UCC. Go check out Article 2.

:rolleyes: Do you need official links from the law??!

Guess what, it's now your official duty to give me a handjob. You must do this, because apparantly, the law doesn't say anything about making up rules on the fly...

(I'm not being serious, I'm giving an example)

When you make up rules that step over the line, they become criminal. That's my point.

The fact is that you have no idea what your talking about.

Just by agreeing to purchase that item, you agree to the terms and conditions. The second money exchanges hands you agree.

:rolleyes: Do you need official links from the law??!

Guess what, it's now your official duty to give me a handjob. You must do this, because apparantly, the law doesn't say anything about making up rules on the fly...

(I'm not being serious, I'm giving an example)

I'll ignore the homo'ish comment since ... I'm not a homo (not saying you are but ...)

Nobody made any rules on the fly. It's in the warranty.

THIS WARRANTY SHALL ALSO BE VOIDABLE BY SCEA IF ...(2) THE PRODUCT IS USED WITH PRODUCTS NOT SOLD OR LICENSED BY SCEA (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NON-LICENSED GAME ENHANCEMENT DEVICES, CONTROLLERS, ADAPTORS AND POWER SUPPLY DEVICES). YOU ASSUME ALL RISKS AND LIABILITIES ASSOCIATED WITH USE OF THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS.
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/PS3/Warranties

Sorry that your posts, arguments and gay'ish comment were all for naught.

I will tell you this though. This sucks big time. Im glad you guys brought this out to attention.

:rolleyes: It's not a contract you signed. Terms and conditions are not a contract you signed.
Did you read my original post? UCC Article 2 - Sales. I'm going to let you in on a secret ... not all contracts need to me signed. In fact oral contracts are all normally perfectly fine unless they fall into the Statute of Frauds. Short of giving a introductory law school contracts course, MY LEGS (Marraige, contracts to be performed over one Year, Land, Executor, Goods over a certain amount, Surety).

When it comes to goods apparently any contract for goods worth over $500 is required to be in writing UNLESS it is a merchant in their normal business transactions.

No I am not a Sales lawyer, yes I went to law school. This is very basic stuff.

What the Magnuson-Moss Act Does Not Allow
There are three prohibitions under the Magnuson-Moss Act. They involve implied warranties, so-called "tie-in sales" provisions, and deceptive or misleading warranty terms.

That's lovely. A lawyer named deeznuts, doesn't know the Magnuson-Moss Act...

Either this is a kid pretending to be a lawyer or America has truly gone to hell..

Which has nothing to do with what we have here, unless you are getting at something different? Please clarify what you are trying to get at, since that page on the Act is quite long.

Oh, mr. lawyer, trained to read all day, can't read a paper like this? Too much add? :D

Either read it like the lawyer you are pretending to be, or read what I wrote, which proves that companies can't make up shit on the fly.

Of course I would agree with you that one person suing, and paying a lawyer 1000's, would be a bad idea. But if 100's of people got together...

Look, I'm sorry, I don't like being told I don't know what I'm doing. I wouldn't like to be insulted at my line of work either. It was uncalled for at my part. Please accept my apology.

I don't like being told I don't know what I'm doing, and I never take it well :p. But I'm man enough to admit when I've done wrong.

And no, I won't edit what I said, I never hide from what I said.

A warranty is a promise by a company to replace or repair the product you bought from them, under certain conditions. Generally those conditions are proper use, certain time frame, and so forth. Read carefully: They can set any condition they want, because no law, no contract, nothing requires them to provide any warranty at all. In other words, terms that are *not* in the warranty are not warranted. If the warranty says they will replace your PS3 for one year with 5 conditions, you cannot add more conditions to that warranty.

...sorry, but had to do this...'cuz it's funny

>>And no, I won't edit what I said, I never hide from what I said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Godofdestrcution : Today at 07:32 PM. <<

Back