Vista and X1950XT known problem?

Sexual Chocolate

Limp Gawd
Installed both 32 and 64bit version of Vista and everything went well. Installed the latest ATI driver as well.

Whenever I start a 3D Application and the clock speed changes, the card locks up, computer reboots and sometimes I get a blue screen.

Even using the CCC to try and OC the card, as soon as it tries to change the clock speeds the card locks up.

Re-installed XP and the card works fine, so i can only deduce this is a Vista/ATI driver problem? Any thoughts?

P5B-E
650W PS
2GB Corsair DDR2

Yeah I got the drivers directly from ATI, have both the 32 and 64bit version since I tried to install both version of Vista.

I realize the release is still 10 days away, these just seem like pretty big problems for a driver thats labeled as RTM. I would think you want a solid driver to come out BEFORE the OS was released.

Anyway, 10 days is 10 days, I have a feeling there will be a lot of these types of threads in 2 weeks.

I don't think there's any ogl support in these drivers yet. So that might be part of the problem. Not sure though.

The Vista drivers aren't up to speed yet, which could be your issue. ATI will be releasing a new Vista driver the day that it ships, that might solve your problem.

If you really need to use Vista then go for it, otherwise I'd stick with XP. Why switch from a solid, well-supported OS to something that's still an unknown?

Bumping this now that Vista is out and Ive already seen 2 or 3 others with the same problem, even using the 7.1 CATs

Wonder how long before this gets fixed..

Firingsquad.com has an article about the Catalyst 7.1s. OpenGL is a bit fubar'ed for the time being.

And I must say to the OP, nice choice of screen names. You combined my two favorite things in the world into one delicious mental image. :D

I purchased ultimate yesterday night, installed it, installed the cats 7.1, tried a D3d game (Live for Speed) black screen, red bar (random) then computer reboots.

So i'm also looking for a fix.

I finally got back home. I tested changing the clocks through CCC this had the same effect described by the OP. I changed from the 7.1's from the 30th to the previous beta drivers, same thing happens.

And to confirm that it's really when the clocks change from 2D to 3D mode, i can run game in windowed mode with zero problems...

Another thing i noticed... i have 59hz and 60hz listed as possible refresh rates... i'll try and find my monitor drivers.

Have you tried ATI tool and forced 3d clock all the time?

Lets assume for a second that this would work, is it really acceptable that I should have to overclock my card to 3d speeds 24/7 just to make it work?

The bad news is that I cant even try this method because I own the 64bit version of Vista and ATI clock isnt a signed driver so it wont install.

When forcing 3D clocks in ATI Tools, does it apply them immediately? or they will be applied at the next boot? but either way the drivers will be loaded, the card will be in 2D mode, ati Tools will switch to 3d...

I'll give it a try later and see, worth a try..

ATI Tool when started usually switches the card to 3D clocks... it looks like it tries, but my card end ups in 2D mode.

When i tried manually setting the core to 625Mhz (3d clock speed), screen flickered, vista told me my video card crashed and it had recovered it (and the clocks are back to 2D mode). Now, i attempted overclocking in steps. i can get it up to 550Mhz before it crashes.

One good thing from this... ATI Tools stops ATI drivers from switching to 3D mode when I launch a game. So for now it looks like i can play games, even if the card isn't as fast.

I will try switching back to the CAT's 7.1 and using ATI Tools again to see if i can reach 625mhz core.

Well then.. thats a great discovery. Like I said, I cant run ATI Tool on Vista 64, however if it works because its no longer switching to 3D speeds now, just uninstall ATI Tool and go disable the 2 ATI services in your services menu.

They should be called ATI Hotkey Poller and ATI Smart

Disable both and tell me if games work. If that fixes the problem, then we can go to the next step! (bios flash to force 3D clocks all the time)

Lets assume for a second that this would work, is it really acceptable that I should have to overclock my card to 3d speeds 24/7 just to make it work?

Well the idea was just to see if it made a difference, sometimes it helps to know what does work when troubleshooting. And no, its not acceptable to have to run in 3d speed 24/7.

Hi, i'm Matteo from Italy. I have the same error when launching any 3d application on my x1950xt sapphire on a p5b deluxe motherboard with Windows vista installed. I asked support and sent an advice at the catalyst crew support in ATI. I hope this problems will solve. In the meanwhile i'll install Windows Xp in another hard disk. Please say me if you find solutions, because i think catalyst 7.2 will be at the end of february.
Bye

Are you guys running Vista 32bit or 64bit? I'm not having any problems with my Crossfire setup with 32 bit Enterprise. Is this only with x1950xt's or the x1950xtxs as well?

I've been posting about this for a week over on Sapphire's forum and was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem. This problem is very frustrating! One more factor to add to this thread: If you go into Device Manager and uninstall the x1950xt, then let Vista reinstall it automatically, the games will work. I don't know what this is doing because the driver properties still read ATI 8.333 but CCC will not show any information. It's as if some other driver is running. But don't restart your computer after uninstalling the adapter from the Device Manager 'cause you will be right back where you started.

This problem also effects Vista's very own Media Ceneter application the same way as it does games. How'd ATI's drivers get Vista-certified with an issue like this? Come on ATI, fix this problem!

BTW....This problem occurs where there is no overclocking also. I'm not going to OC 'till this issue is resolved.

Relevant Eqiup.: EVGA Nvidia 680i | Radeon x1950xt 256 | Antec SP2.0 500W PSU | Vista Ultimate

If you go into Device Manager and uninstall the x1950xt, then let Vista reinstall it automatically, the games will work. I don't know what this is doing because the driver properties still read ATI 8.333 but CCC will not show any information. It's as if some other driver is running. But don't restart your computer after uninstalling the adapter from the Device Manager 'cause you will be right back where you started.

It would make sense that this works. Maybe what happens is that vista reloads the drivers, but the services (ati hotkey poller and other) are not started until the next reboot. So this would mean that it's not changing clocks. I'll give this a try this morning.

edit: Like you said, this does work. The only problem with this option as opposed to ATI Tools is that i can't adjust any card settings. Good find.

Great. Works for me. Now i can play all games. Now i try to reboot to see if it's ok
Thank you and waiting for an updated driver.

so should I install ati drivers or not? (if I remove the vista drivers), and will 3d mode be turned off by that
and will openGL work?
what are the clocks? because right now when I check in ATi tool, my clocks are 621/900, (why the fuck are they in 3d mode? before they werent), before they were in like 500/594, and iirc that 500/594 was 2d mode, so if I remove and let vista reinstall drovers for the card automatically, will it be in 2dmode always or 3dmode always, or will itb e regular and use 3dmode when needed?

What I did was choose manually the Vista "Radeon X1900 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM" Drivers, then after installing them i had extracted the Catalyst 7.1 Installer (if you already installed them you can find the folder on your windows drive ( C:\ATI ).

From there I located the 7.1's which is basically in this folder

C:\ATI\SUPPORT\7-1_vista32_dd_ccc_41241_enu\Packages\Drivers\Display

After installing them as espressomaker mentioned, the CCC will not detect your card, and because of this I'm thinking that ATI services won't switch it from 2D mode to 3D mode when a game is launched.

Now for your ATI Tools showing 3D Clocks as active.. I don't know how you got them. I was never able to switch to 3D clocks (either manually overclocking or the drivers doing the work).

But remember, if you reboot after doing the driver switch then the CCC's services will probably initialize correctly and then will try to switch to 3D clocks when a game is launched.

What I did was choose manually the Vista "Radeon X1900 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM" Drivers, then after installing them i had extracted the Catalyst 7.1 Installer (if you already installed them you can find the folder on your windows drive ( C:\ATI ).

From there I located the 7.1's which is basically in this folder

C:\ATI\SUPPORT\7-1_vista32_dd_ccc_41241_enu\Packages\Drivers\Display

After installing them as espressomaker mentioned, the CCC will not detect your card, and because of this I'm thinking that ATI services won't switch it from 2D mode to 3D mode when a game is launched.

Now for your ATI Tools showing 3D Clocks as active.. I don't know how you got them. I was never able to switch to 3D clocks (either manually overclocking or the drivers doing the work).

But remember, if you reboot after doing the driver switch then the CCC's services will probably initialize correctly and then will try to switch to 3D clocks when a game is launched.
so your saying that it wount switch to 3d clocks?
and if they do try to switch to 3D clocks, wount that make the same problem reoccur?

I still find it weird that when you start ATI Tools that it's able to switch your card to 3d clocks (by default ATI Tools loads 3d clocks). On my computer it would just show me the 2D Clocks and any attempt to increase the core clock further than 550Mhz resulted in the card to fail responding and vista would re-initialize the card ( At 500 Core, 600 Memory).

I get it now, lol, you're still in XP. My bad...

When ATI Tool is launched it automatically switches your card to 3D clocks. (When in Vista, ATI Tools is not able to switch to 3D clocks when launching it with x1950xt's).

Well i can say that after doing the driver switch thing i played games all afternoon without any problems. So for now, the only downside i see to using this method is not being able to change the AA, AF, etc, through the CCC. And of course reduced clock frequencies for both Core speed and Memory speed.

And the upside of course is no reboots every time a game is launched.

Another thing i wanted to mention is that whilst i can overclock my card from stock setting to 550 / 900 successfully in ATI Tools (checked by waiting for a stable average of their 3D panel to the left, then increased clocks and average FPS increased), when i leave ATI Tools open and then launch a game when i quit the game ATI Tools has reverted back to 2D clocks.

Druneau, that's basically what I was doing yesterday with ATI Tools. One difference: I was playing Flight Sim X (FSX) in windowed mode while bumping up the sliders on ATI Tools. I couldn't get them very high without crashing the driver though (as you pointed out). Besides, I wasn't seeing any significant improvement with FSX frame rates so I just reverted back to the default clocks and left it.

One good thing about Vista is the sleep mode which basically shuts the PC down. It starts up real nice and quick as opposed to XP's hibernate which is quite a bit slower (at least on my machines). But my point is that it works with our current situation, allowing you to resume your game playing later without having to keep your PC running all night.

I'm glad the soft uninstall/reinstall method is working for you all. Does anyone know for sure that ATI is aware of this issue and working it?

Hi sent to ati catalyst crew a feeback ofthis problem. I hope the solve this situation.
Bye

Well then it seems we have 3 options should we wish to run vista on a Sapphire X1950XT

1. Use the latest Cat 7.1 but DO NOT install the CCC (or if you do, be sure to disable the ATI Hotkey Poller service) - Not acceptable because you lose 3D speed functionality and support for profiles and features such as AA, AF, etc etc

2. Use the MS WDM - Not acceptable because you lose 3D speed functionality, support for profiles and features such as AA, AF, etc etc and you are using an outdated driver that is crippling the card.

3. Wait for ATI to release a better driver (are they even aware this problem exists? I posted on 4 forums over 3 weeks ago about it),or purchase Nvidia (who currently isnt doing much better with their drivers).

I'm Running a HIS x1950xt, so i'm convinced it's for all x1950xt's

(not that it makes a difference)

hey guys, im having the same problem.

except wether or not i have drivers installed for it launching a slideshow, media center, or even doom 3 causes it to crash.

can anyone provide a link to the ati feedback site?

Hey arman01,

To get slideshow, media center or any games working, you have to switch drivers without rebooting. By doing so the services which are responsible for changing clock mode on the card aren't active.

I'm not sure if this works using Microsoft's WDDM Drivers, i haven't used them (i only switch to them to then switch back to the cat 7.1's)

If you do it like this, slideshow and everything should work until the next reboot.

More clearly, after booting up I :
1. Through device manager, force vista to use microsoft's WDDM drivers
2. At the same place, force vista to use Catalyst 7.1 drivers

Then everything works until next reboot.

As for the ATI feedback site I don't have the link on hand..

Back