Vista Home Premium Academic Upgrade!!

firebyyrd

Gawd
http://www.campustech.com/c/campust/MSCD23142WIAE.html?mv_pc=541

It's only 70.00, and free shipping.

It's is the full version of the software, but you must need a windows OS disk laying around, (most of us have them). It prompts for you to pop in the CD, and then your good to go.

Remember, you need to be in a college, or teaching at a school to get this. They require proof such as latest report cards, or school ID scans..

I think it's a great deal :]

$70 isn't bad. I wish it was $10 like XP though.

XP wasn't $10 at the schools I went to. As I recall it was roughly the same price (possibly less) than this version.

The problem is that if this is an upgrade, you'll have a hard time upgrading an academic version of XP, since that was Professional, not home and home premium can't upgrade Professional.

how does the install procedure work? I was under the impression you install like a normal full version but then as the OP says, pop in a disc, then it'll read it, spit it out, then resume installation.

If so, that shouldn't be too much of an issue here to most of us even us who use pro if you get my drift. ;D

how does the install procedure work? I was under the impression you install like a normal full version but then as the OP says, pop in a disc, then it'll read it, spit it out, then resume installation.
I'd also like to know if this would work with an OEM copy of XP. I'm using XP Professional, but my dad has a copy of XP Home from his Dell (with the drivers on the disc). Could I use this to upgrade my PC?

the gold edition seems to be nice too.. but are you paying 30 bux for the double sided usb cable? or is that special wizard only included in the gold edition package?

Good deal, and a sign of things to come of Vista in the academic market. I'm going to wait until either I build a new computer or it comes down close to XP at my school (XP Pro Upgrade is $20 through my high school).

nevermind.. just answered my own question; get the regular edition.. the gold edition only comes w/ an xtra usb cable for 30 bux

you don't need a pre-installation of any XP software.

it prompts for a windows OS disk, ie. windows2000.

For those k-12ers out there:

Then buy it here.

If I was in college, I'd recommend checking out prices at the school store first.....and verifying that you can't get a free copy of ultimate (this is especially true for Computer Science students).

Does it require a old Windows License number as well? I have a laptop id like to keep XP on but have the disk for it.

Um... Would this work, say if I have a license key (COA sticker) for XP Home on my laptop, that's not in use, but I don't have a CD for it? (Assuming I can find a place for it in Canada.)

Also too bad it's only Home Premium and not available in Ultimate.

I'll rather wait for MSDNAA to offer it for free download or $5-10 and they send you a copy :)

Damnet, I graduated a year too early!

Although, I got XP Pro and Office XP for "free," even though we had a yearly $70 technology fee (which didn't seem to do anything but pad coffers) starting my sophomore year. :rolleyes:

The problem is that if this is an upgrade, you'll have a hard time upgrading an academic version of XP, since that was Professional, not home and home premium can't upgrade Professional.

According to Microsoft and other sources, you can upgrade from professional to premium, it just requires a fresh install. See here

My cousin-in-law is going to get me Vista when it becomes available to her. She can get winxp Pro for $10 and Office Pro 2003 for $25 = SWEET!

i ordered 1, i'll let you guys know how it goes.

I have a legit OEM XP home and a legit academic version of xp pro64. I want to upgrade my xp pro 64 box using this, after a clean format, lets hope its an easy process.

Does this version include media center or remote desktop server?

According to the website, Home Prem. does include media center functions, however you need Ultimate or Buisness to run a remote desktop.

Doesn't mean you can do it with third party software.

According to the website, Home Prem. does include media center functions, however you need Ultimate or Buisness to run a remote desktop.

Doesn't mean you can do it with third party software.

Damn. Guess ill have to put out the extra cash for business. Ive always found RDP to have much better performance than VNC. (aswell as the advantage that its built into the OS. every other computer that runs windows has a client.)

I snagged 3 copies today with the help of a friend....this will tide me over until the 64 bit OS gets the driver scene up to speed :cool:

my laptop doesn't have a DVD ROM drive...
i have a table pc: HP TC4200....

I don't even know if i have the Windows CD for it... i did buy it new though...

There is no download option?

these have very lmited drivers support still it seems. lots of companies haven't made their drivers for vista yet I don't think.. atleast my asus m5a laptop doesn't have internet drivers yet, which is a total pain.

My school just said that Vista Buisness is available through MSDNAA ;o Im allowed one free copy

Wow I feel so fuzzy, my parents are shelling out $15k a year for tuition and my schools computer store wants me to pay $99 for a copy of XP Pro upgrade....

Wow I feel so fuzzy, my parents are shelling out $15k a year for tuition and my schools computer store wants me to pay $99 for a copy of XP Pro upgrade....

do you mean a human year (two semesters) or a college semester (single) :) ?

Back