Kinda Hot: Fry's E4300 and POS Motherboard $149.99

swetmore

Supreme [H]ardness
Frys has the E4300 and the ECS P4M800PRO-M for $149.99 at the BM stores. Keep the proc, Ebay the MB.

1620037_4269239.jpg

Now that the e4300 is launched, you see this same bundle with this.

They've been doing this motherboard with an e6300 for months.

This deal is smoking hot! The E4300 by itself is going for $179.00 at Newegg and $186.99 at ZipZoomFly. Buy the combo, sell the motherboard on eBay for $10-$20. A processor that can be easily overclocked to the speeds of the X6800 for $130-140 (after selling the mobo) is a bargain.

The only question I have - does anybody know if this is this the boxed CPU (3 year warranty with HSF) or bare CPU (90 day warranty, no HSF)?

--Jason

This deal is smoking hot! The E4300 by itself is going for $179.00 at Newegg and $186.99 at ZipZoomFly. Buy the combo, sell the motherboard on eBay for $10-$20. A processor that can be easily overclocked to the speeds of the X6800 for $130-140 (after selling the mobo) is a bargain.

The only question I have - does anybody know if this is this the boxed CPU (3 year warranty with HSF) or bare CPU (90 day warranty, no HSF)?

--Jason

Oem processors almost 100% of the time.

Damn you Fry's! /me shakes fists. Why can't you please please please come to Pensacola, FL!? We'd hug you, love you and call you George... :eek: (coffee kicking in...)

Dang it! Doesn't look this is on a the Dallas Fry's where I can have someone pick one up and interoffice it to me.....

Someone get this combo & fire it up. The Via bored "sucks" but considering you're starting at 200FSB. If it can make it to 333FSB, thats good enough for a nice 3Ghz Core 2 system on the cheap. :cool:

Someone get this combo & fire it up. The Via bored "sucks" but considering you're starting at 200FSB. If it can make it to 333FSB, thats good enough for a nice 3Ghz Core 2 system on the cheap. :cool:

True, but it's an AGP board. I have to agree that it's a good deal right now, but I'm going to wait for retail prices to drop a bit (or until I manage to list all my HW on ebay...preferably with 20 cent listings).

If it can make it to 333FSB, thats good enough for a nice 3Ghz Core 2 system on the cheap.

I had one of these when I switched back over to intel. Its been awhile but Im fairly certain I hit at least 400 FSB with it. My problem, and the reason I upgraded was with RAM.

No matter what I set in the bios it ran like crap. CPU-Z, Everest, ect. all reported my ram as ddr166 1.5-2-2. I changed the timings, kept the RAM 1:1 and nothing would change. I tried G.Skill PC4400LE, G.Skill DDR500 HZ, Kingston Value DDR2-533, and some D9. A huge overclock does not perform that well with no memory bandwidth behind it.

But then I guess you realy cant bitch when this combo is the same price as the cpu alone from most retailers.

Have any sites done reviews of the e4x00 series and showed how they compare against the e6x00 series?

Normally the e6300 runs with this board. The e6300 has a 7x multipler and this board has a default FSB of 266mzh so it runs 266x7 = 1.86ghz.

So If you put an e4300, which has a 9x multiplier, doesn't that mean you get 9x266 = 2.4ghz right off the bat? Or if you're able to overclock to 300mhz (the max), you should get 2.7ghz on the e4300?

2.4ghz for free sounds like a deal...

Am I missing something?

Normally the e6300 runs with this board. The e6300 has a 7x multipler and this board has a default FSB of 266mzh so it runs 266x7 = 1.86ghz.

So If you put an e4300, which has a 9x multiplier, doesn't that mean you get 9x266 = 2.4ghz right off the bat? Or if you're able to overclock to 300mhz (the max), you should get 2.7ghz on the e4300?

2.4ghz for free sounds like a deal...

Am I missing something?
Yeah. Logic

1) The board does not have a default fsb of 266mhz
The board has a default fsb of whatever the cpuid info is. In this case, 200mhz fsb.

Again, comparing an offer based on the overclocking potential is idiotic.

an e6300 can overclock FAR more than an e4300.

The e6300 is a 1.86 ghz, 1066mhz fsb cpu with 2mb cache enabled.
The e4300 is a 1.8 ghz, 800mhz fsb cpu with 2mb cache.

LOGIC, the ability to read, the ability to understand numbers, and the fact that even intel place it as a lesser cpu all should make it FREAKING OBVIOUS that the e4300 is a "lesser" cpu.

e6300 has already surpassed .. 480mhz / 1960mhz fsb
http://images.tomshardware.com/2007/01/11/core-2-duo-overtakes-core-2-extreme/cpuz-6300-490-cpu.gif
The e4300 has not.

THG, lowered the multiplier of an e6300 to x7 to get near to the 500+/2000+ fsb however :)

since this board supposedly sucks so bad, why would you want to overclock?
Since you are NOT overclocking, the 1.86ghz, 1066mhz fsb cpu is going to outperform the 1.8 ghz, 800mhz fsb.. that costs EXACTLY THE SAME PRICE.

Yeah. Logic

The board has a default fsb of whatever the cpuid info is. In this case, 200mhz fsb.

LOGIC, the ability to read, the ability to understand numbers, and the fact that even intel place it as a lesser cpu all should make it FREAKING OBVIOUS that the e4300 is a "lesser" cpu.

http://images.tomshardware.com/2007/01/11/core-2-duo-overtakes-core-2-extreme/cpuz-6300-490-cpu.gif
The e4300 has not.

THG, lowered the multiplier of an e6300 to x7 to get near to the 500+/2000+ fsb however :)

Since you are NOT overclocking, the 1.86ghz, 1066mhz fsb cpu is going to outperform the 1.8 ghz, 800mhz fsb.. that costs EXACTLY THE SAME PRICE.

Perhaps because most are going to dump the board (I know I'd have no choice, since my GPU isn't AGP and I wouldnt' consider buying one) and the price of the CPU is good and the 2 reviews I've seen indicated it was easier to overclock than the 6300.

Some people don't want a CPU that's the absolute best OCer...they want one that's easiest, or perhaps the one that's easiest to OC on cheaper MBs.

Yeah. Logic

The e4300 has not.

Ouch. Burn. [H] has turned out to be a very friendly environment..

Lots of idiots on this board then.

I still don't think you answered my question.

Okay so the board has a default FSB of whatever the CPU is...so 200. Now what happens when I make it run at 266 (same as the e6300)?

This has nothing to do with what the max overclock is...thats not relevant here.

If this board can run stable at 266 with the e6300, then why can' it run stable at 266 with the e4300???

I still don't think you answered my question.

Okay so the board has a default FSB of whatever the CPU is...so 200. Now what happens when I make it run at 266 (same as the e6300)?

This has nothing to do with what the max overclock is...thats not relevant here.

If this board can run stable at 266 with the e6300, then why can' it run stable at 266 with the e4300???
It should be able to. Your logic is correct. Assuming the mobo is officially compatible with the e6300 (and hence, the 266mhz fsb), it should be easily possible to overclock the e4300 to 266mhz fsb, while still keeping the mobo within default speeds.

Essentially, what the lower 800mhz fsb of the e4300 does for overclocking is it takes some of the overclocking burden off the motherboard and possibly RAM as well, and places more of the overclocking burden on the CPU itself.

--Jason

It's an OEM/bare CPU w/o a fan.

Fry's offers an extended 1-yr warranty for this CPU (I just bought two about an hour ago).

It's an OEM/bare CPU w/o a fan.

Fry's offers an extended 1-yr warranty for this CPU (I just bought two about an hour ago).

So that's a 2 year warranty? I'm pretty sure it comes with 1 year.

How much is the warranty? Personally, I suspect I'll just toss my xp-90 on whatever C2D I buy (after I get the adapter).

So that's a 2 year warranty? I'm pretty sure it comes with 1 year.

How much is the warranty? Personally, I suspect I'll just toss my xp-90 on whatever C2D I buy (after I get the adapter).

No, Fry's just extends the standard warranty and makes it a 1-yr one. The standard OEM warranty varies anywhere from 30-90 days (most places go for the latter).

This is a good deal considering the CPU retail itself goes for 180+. The mobo comes free! =)

So I'm new to this.

What determines the speed at which memory and other devices like AGP run that?

If my FSB is at 266mhz, what will my memory be at. Lets say I have DDR 400.

So I'm new to this.
What determines the speed at which memory and other devices like AGP run that?
If my FSB is at 266mhz, what will my memory be at. Lets say I have DDR 400.

Depends on if the busses are linked or independent, or if you can lock ratios.

For example. A lot of overclockers run ram and fsb in a 1:1..

That means,if your ram is 400mhz, your fsb is 400mhz

Some overclockers, however, run in 5:4 ratios, 3:2 ratios, what have you

DDR 400 is actually "200mhz" (dual pumped) ram whereas the e6300 is "266mhz" (quad pumped)

Even though I own this motherboard, and an e6300,I can't tell you off the top of my head whether this board will force some odd ratio (like making that 200/400 ram of your run at 133/266 so it's an even multiplier (although it's not likely)

On, for example, my intel DG965WH board,I am running "800 mhz" ddr-2 memory, but my cpu is running at the "1066mhz" line perfectly fine.

My cpu only really "needs" 533mhz ram.

I would assume, that the worst case scenario is that the motherboard will run at the lowest common denominator, which, in your case, is the 200mhz DDR-400 limitation

agp is usually on it's own bus, but I cannot speak for this specific via chipset.

So, you'd have an agp 8x slot running at 533mhz (66 x "octal pumping")
a cpu (e4300) running at 800mhz (200 mhz x Quad pumping)
and ram running at 400 mhz (200mhz x double pumping)
an e6300 would be 1066 (266 x quad) ..

I happen to have DDR2-667 on this board, so I'm running ram that's 166mhz x quad pumping)

TThe only question I have - does anybody know if this is this the boxed CPU (3 year warranty with HSF) or bare CPU (90 day warranty, no HSF)?

Picked the combo up this afternoon. It's a tray processor, but Fry's is a 1 year warranty on OEM.

Well, the two combos I got earlier today were for my GF's brother and cousin. I just got call 20 minutes ago :rolleyes: (1:30am CST) from my GF's brother (15-yrs old kid) to tell me that his mobo/cpu are defective. I asked why was he saying that and he told me that even though everything powers up (with two different PSUs, one new, one "old"), the thing never shows the POST and just keep rebooting and rebooting rather quick.

I tried to troubleshoot over the phone, but all my tips didn't make a difference. When I bought the bundles yesterday, I remember reading something about the motherboard supporting DDR memory, so I once again asked him about what kind of memory he was using and he answered "the same DDR modules I was using with my old Athlon XP". I don't know much about C2D (haven't had time to upgrade the last 2 yrs, but I've been thinking about it very seriously), but from what I've read, it ONLY supports DDR2 memory... is this correct??? and maybe this is the whole reason why he's having trouble with the new bundle??? :confused:

I think C2D + regular DDR aren't compatible, but I haven't really found some solid info about it.

They are compartible with my Crucial DDR RAM.
I got the mobo and tried.

Any other ideas then?

His DDR modules are Crucial also. The two PSU's are Antec.

I don't know what else to tell him. Maybe it's just a dead mobo/cpu... who knows... but if that's what's happening, there goes my weekend :p... as I'd have to go, pick him up, take the damn thing to Fry's and see WTF they'll do for me. If I have to go, this will be the first time I'll ever deal with Fry's and their warranties.

Well, the two combos I got earlier today were for my GF's brother and cousin. I just got call 20 minutes ago :rolleyes: (1:30am CST) from my GF's brother (15-yrs old kid) to tell me that his mobo/cpu are defective. I asked why was he saying that and he told me that even though everything powers up (with two different PSUs, one new, one "old"), the thing never shows the POST and just keep rebooting and rebooting rather quick.

I tried to troubleshoot over the phone, but all my tips didn't make a difference. When I bought the bundles yesterday, I remember reading something about the motherboard supporting DDR memory, so I once again asked him about what kind of memory he was using and he answered "the same DDR modules I was using with my old Athlon XP". I don't know much about C2D (haven't had time to upgrade the last 2 yrs, but I've been thinking about it very seriously), but from what I've read, it ONLY supports DDR2 memory... is this correct??? and maybe this is the whole reason why he's having trouble with the new bundle??? :confused:

I think C2D + regular DDR aren't compatible, but I haven't really found some solid info about it.

Is he possibly using the same hard drive as before with Windows already installed? Try Repair Install of Windows since the board has been switched.

Picked the combo up this afternoon. It's a tray processor, but Fry's is a 1 year warranty on OEM.

Picked one up earlier as well and it is infact OEM with a year.

I am waiting for my DS3 and Tuniq Tower and will get this baby going. I don't know if I should keep the Geil PC8000 2GB at CAS5 or get some 667 RAM to overclock to 800MHz.

REALLY considering going to get one of these tomorrow. Bought the pentium D in my middle sig machine in a fry's combo and Ebayed the mobo, might have to do the same here and replace the pent D ;)

Is he possibly using the same hard drive as before with Windows already installed? Try Repair Install of Windows since the board has been switched.

Problem is, he's not even seeing the POST screen. I got here about 1/2 hour ago and have tried pretty much anything to no avail. The HDD activity led lights up every 4-5 seconds and I can clearly hear the DVD-RW drive trying to read something every time. The PC is just rebooting real quick, every 5 or so seconds and as I mentioned above, I haven't even managed to get it to show the POST information.

Back