Yummy stuff... 100.54... Vista... 8800GTS, + bios flash = zomgpwnzorship

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
Mmmmmm... 8800GTS @ 621core/1460sp(shader)/2000ram BIOS-flashed with nbitor-modded BIOS.

Hmmmm... Vista retail....?

Ahhhh... 100.54 drivers...!

Huhhh.... performance equal to XP!?

Wow... fun, yummy stuff!

nVidia's really on the ball with this one I must say. I've been running my 8800GTS at the speeds above, and performance is on-par with XP's already with "beta" drivers at Vista's launch. I'm on a Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.21ghz/core (re-OC'ing it due to Vista being more CPU-overclock-sensitive than XP), 2GB RAM (OCZ Platinum XTC revision 1, 2x1GB sticks), 32-bit Vista, and an Asus P5W-DH Deluxe (975X chipset) motherboard. I'm just plain amazed that Vista is so solid at release. All of my applications/hardware work 100%, and this new driver set has made gaming as good as XP speed-wise :eek: ! Bring on CRYSIS/Supreme Commander, in my opinion :D! For those just getting Vista, I have to say not to worry, the support is there and this is definitely not a re-hash of XP's gaming launch.

Who else is running Vista with an 8800-series and has good news for everyone ;)?

I am having performance that is identical to XP for games that work. (8800GTS) This is without overclocking the video card.

Are you saying you had to overclock in order to get back to XP performance?

I am having performance that is identical to XP for games that work. (8800GTS) This is without overclocking the video card.

Are you saying you had to overclock in order to get back to XP performance?

Nope... I'm saying that with it overclocked to equal speeds in Vista/XP, it's running basically identically speed-wise in games (framerates).

Not that I was majorly concerned before, but you definately eased any apprehension I was feeling. I'm getting Vista Ultimate (64bit) next weekened, along with a Geforce 8800GTX.

And btw, SupCom FTW! :p

Not that I was majorly concerned before, but you definately eased any apprehension I was feeling. I'm getting Vista Ultimate (64bit) next weekened, along with a Geforce 8800GTX.

Well the real question though is whether or not your particular game is working at the moment... keep that in mind. But yes it does look like a smooth transition peformance-wise

I'm dying to play Supreme Commander... come ON february 20th :p . From googling around, I hear it's going to have a DX10 patch shortly after release, as well :eek: .

Did I miss the part where you listed the games that run equal?

I'm running Vista with my 8800GTS as well. I'm just about to install the new 100.54 driver :D . One precaution for everybody running Vista, Acronic True Image 7.0 will not work with Vista yet and will cause a BSOD.

Is this a 100% statement that Vista is more overclock sensitive than xp? the last thing I want to have to do is find another stable overclock from my system due to issues. Is it that your overclock really is faulty in vista or that vista is not tune yet and is faulty to the rest of your system?

Did I miss the part where you listed the games that run equal?

I have played Need For Speed Most Wanted, Counter-Strike: Source, Half Life 2, World of Warcraft, and Dark Age of Camelot between XP and Vista.

Is this a 100% statement that Vista is more overclock sensitive than xp? the last thing I want to have to do is find another stable overclock from my system due to issues. Is it that your overclock really is faulty in vista or that vista is not tune yet and is faulty to the rest of your system?

After popping my overclock settings back in once Vista had installed, it would BSOD every time with the exact same settings that worked in XP. After doing a rough re-tuning, I arrived at the 3.21ghz setting (compared to 3.42ghz in XP) as a temporary. It may be that it can be pushed higher, but this alone showed me that something in there is more sensitive, because if not, it would have worked at the same settings that were "known-good".

I have played Need For Speed Most Wanted, Counter-Strike: Source, Half Life 2, World of Warcraft, and Dark Age of Camelot between XP and Vista.
What kind of video card are you running? If it is an 8800GTX, how does Need For Speed Carbon run? I get strange frequent hitching in that game. I didn't get it with my ATI card as much and in XP it's smooth with both cards. The frame rates are up there but it just doesn't play smoothly.

What kind of video card are you running? If it is an 8800GTX, how does Need For Speed Carbon run? I get strange frequent hitching in that game. I didn't get it with my ATI card as much and in XP it's smooth with both cards. The frame rates are up there but it just doesn't play smoothly.

Read the first post for system specs.

I don't own NFS: Carbon.

Hey guys; quick question, I'll be running my RC2 for awhile until i can find the cash for Ultimate. So, will my RC2 be a ticking time bomb on Jan. 30th? Will it cease to work correctly minus updates? My 8800 gts is loving its new home ^_^

I'm at 3.6 ghz on my e6600 and found zero difference between oc'ing the cpu in Vista and in XP.

I'm running RC2 right now, thats until I get my shipment of the full oem. MS updates won't work, but it's good until 6/15/2007. Just type in: winver (at the command prompt) to verify.

I'm at 3.6 ghz on my e6600 and found zero difference between oc'ing the cpu in Vista and in XP.

Perhaps it's something system-specific then with my own settings on that front... I'll experiment some soon ;).

Perhaps it's something system-specific then with my own settings on that front... I'll experiment some soon ;).

Also, I'm water cooled, which simply means I've got excellent cooling. I run F@H on this system 24\7 so its fully loaded all the time. Needless to say, performance is still excellent.

Also, I'm water cooled, which simply means I've got excellent cooling. I run F@H on this system 24\7 so its fully loaded all the time. Needless to say, performance is still excellent.

Son-of-a... I just lowered the voltage some off of what I was using, and now Vista works (for now, I haven't load-tested it since I literally just changed it) with 3.42ghz CPU speed/core. Time to go see!

that sounds like a temperature problem. What temps were you seeing and what about now?

that sounds like a temperature problem. What temps were you seeing and what about now?

Temps aren't vastly different (within 2 degrees Celsius of eachother according to my hardware probe), so I'm really not sure. I'm using an X-Qpack I modded (mATX case) to take an ATX motherboard/etc., which holds all of this stuff. Perhaps it's just that I was putting too much voltage in this whole time, more than it needed. Between my last post and now, I've been playing CounterStrike: Source without any issues.

Temps aren't vastly different (within 2 degrees Celsius of eachother according to my hardware probe), so I'm really not sure. I'm using an X-Qpack I modded (mATX case) to take an ATX motherboard/etc., which holds all of this stuff. Perhaps it's just that I was putting too much voltage in this whole time, more than it needed. Between my last post and now, I've been playing CounterStrike: Source without any issues.

are you over 50c?

I've installed the 100.54 driver and my games still crash. BF2142 still crashes and splintercell double agent crashes but they were still really buggy in XP. Hopefully patches will fix that.

One precaution for everybody running Vista, Acronic True Image 7.0 will not work with Vista yet and will cause a BSOD.

Damn, thank you for that information. I run Acronis True Image, myself.

Is anyone in here using 64-bit? I'd really like to see some comments on the 64-bit drivers.

My cpu is running the same overclock as it did in XP, not a single crash yet. Currently testing all my games under Vista...

are you over 50c?

Idle is 36c on the CPU at 380x9 (E6600) with a vCore in the BIOS of 1.475v after 1 hour of idle (just light web browsing). I've been watching the case sensor and GPU temps while gaming, the GPU is topping out at about 64c after around 1 hour of gaming. I'll report back with CPU temps for load after I game for a few later.

It can't be. Although my Opteron 165 @ 2.8ghz is rock solid stable, I pretty much can't push it any further speed wise. It runs fine at this speed on XP, Vista 32bit, and even Windows 2003 R2 64bit.

Guys... Acronis True Image 7.0 works in Vista (but it isn't supported). You need to disable the User account control before install. I did this on the last RC release, and was able to run a backup and restore.

YMMV of course

Oh no! Sorry, I had a version higher than 7.0 running.

Funny I remember all those dx10 evangelist articles and I swear they claimed "because of new API coding, we can provide increases performance up to xx% in even dx9.0 apps" And it seems every is happy for "on par" performance. Whats the pt of dx10 if it is the same as dx9.0? Ok maybe in 6 months they will optimize the drivers and who knows maybe we will see some performance inc, but until then Im still disappointed.

BF2142 crashing via Vista, eh? Oh well, no real rush til we have something to play w/ anyway.

Funny I remember all those dx10 evangelist articles and I swear they claimed "because of new API coding, we can provide increases performance up to xx% in even dx9.0 apps" And it seems every is happy for "on par" performance. Whats the pt of dx10 if it is the same as dx9.0? Ok maybe in 6 months they will optimize the drivers and who knows maybe we will see some performance inc, but until then Im still disappointed.

The idea of DX10 is to provide better visuals. I do remember those interviews as well, which turned out (so far, based on early beta drivers) to be bunk, but who knows. Do you remember the switch from DX8 to DX9? HUGE difference.

occt or Othos are much easier to use... but prime will work two.

I decided on using 2 copies of RTHDRIBL to load both the CPU and GPU... GPU peaked at 71c, the CPU peaked at 43c and held steady for over 30 minutes there before I shut it off.

Those CPU temps are fine... I've seen some GPU's that aren't stable above 65c and others that are fine at 95c...

The point of Orthos is that you isolate your testing to the CPU and that way you can rule it out as the source of your problems, RTHDRIBL is more of a balanced test and so it will not stress test your CPU. Also, its not trying for perfect results the way Orthos does.

I don't think you've proven anything, I'm sorry.

Those CPU temps are fine... I've seen some GPU's that aren't stable above 65c and others that are fine at 95c...

The point of Orthos is that you isolate your testing to the CPU and that way you can rule it out as the source of your problems, RTHDRIBL is more of a balanced test and so it will not stress test your CPU. Also, its not trying for perfect results the way Orthos does.

I don't think you've proven anything, I'm sorry.

Um, I wasn't trying to "prove" anything. You asked what my load temps were, so I gave them to you. My statement in the original post was based on MY experience, I'm not trying to flat-out say as a fact across-the-board that XP is better for overclocking than Vista, I'm just stating my course of events.

Ahh.. sorry, I meant that regarding the overclock you hadn't proven if it was stable or not... Sorry, not trying to pick a fight, just pointing out that Orthos or Prime type programs are needed to fully load a cpu. :)

Back