IE 7 address bar - do something!

G'ßöö

[H]ard|Gawd
since IE's inception you've been able to type or paste an address into the address bar and hit enter on the keyboard or with later versions click the Go button and get the page requested, but with IE 7 I can't do either 98%+ of the time. I can open IE or a new tab and type in www.apple.com and nothing happens (no enter, no GO) it doesn't even search, but what is more frustrating is figuring out the way to type addresses in. the http:// seems to be needed but only works a few times. retesting it doesn't work, but then sometimes it works.

fuck this is frustrating especially since these simple options have been bulletproof since its inception. change the GUI? that's fine but tried tested and true options like this not working only make me want to switch browsers. I uninstalled it and upgraded again and its still the same. GRRR! :mad: nice bug!

I spent some time on the MS site and saw crap pertaining to this...anyone else seeing this? thnx

G'ßöö;1030558016 said:
true options like this not working only make me want to switch browsers.

What's stopping you?

With Firefox you can highlight a URL and drag it into the address bar, enter always works, and typing 'http://' is rarely (if ever) necessary :D

I've read that whole post twice now and I still don't understand what you're saying the problem is.

If you're saying that you can open or start IE7, go to the Address Bar and type www.apple.com and then that pages loads automagically, well, that would be a really neat trick since you have to either: a) press Enter to submit the URL to IE7 to make the HTTP GET request, or b) click the green right-pointing arrow located at the rightmost side of the Address Bar that does the same thing.

As for "search" if you mean AutoComplete, that feature is not enabled by default. At some point after the first few URLs you input, IE7 will ask you if you want to turn AutoComplete on for websites/URLs; at that point if you say yes, from then on anytime you start to type something in the Address Bar, IE7 will try to "autocomplete" the URL for you based on previous typed URLs that are stored in the History or Favorites. If you say no, or for some reason AutoComplete gets disabled, then no, IE7 won't "search" through the History of past typed URLs to find the one you've already been to. You can still enabled AutoComplete in the IE7 Options, also.

I just re-read that post again and I believe that's what you mean, but I'm probably just understanding the question you're trying to ask or the actual complaint you're trying to make.

If these most basic functions of IE7 aren't working just as I described, then your IE7 installation is probably pooched and a reinstallation of IE7 might be in order, if possible.

Or you could just say "the hell with it" and start using another browser since nothing is really stopping you from doing that already.

Hope this helps...

hmmmmm others here read this an understood, sorry take #2

I can open IE or a new tab, type and address in (ie: www.shaw.ca) hit enter or use go button and nothing happens. no search, no nothing. I have however been able to type some addresses in and sometimes it works, but retesting right away it fails. its certainly not working 100% as all versions before it have.

above all know you're talking to someone who has above average knowledge in this field. I dont need "get FF" responses as that defeats the purpose. I only ask this to see if others have it too or someone heard its a known bug, etc...

I dont mean autocomplete but yes, anyone would consider this a basic function and I have reinstalled it.

The only possible reason(s) I can come up with based on that post you just made are:

- something has pooched your hosts file. If the address you're typing has an entry in the hosts file for 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 and you hit Enter or click the arrow, nothing will happen at all.
- your browser installation is simply corrupt.
- you have a browser hijacker that's actively preventing the proper operation of IE7 when it comes to loading specific URLs; the browser hijacker might be trying to redirect to a URL that's in the hosts file or possibly being blocked by some adware/spyware software you may or may not be running (I don't know if you are, I'm simply pointing out possibles based on the info you've provided)

Other than that, I can't see why it's not working, but I'd suspect malware interfering first and then possibly a corrupt browser installation second.

Yeah, I would suspect another issue such as spyware/malware. All computers on our network are running IE7 now. The only issue we have had is getting people used to the GUI. But, specifically, I have not experienced the issue you describe on my workstation or my two home computers. This leads me to believe that it is something specific to your setup.

after a few scans I found nothing so I formatted (wanted to anyway). after a fresh install and a new keyboard it still does it. it will not work twice in a row or even on a new tab most of the time if not 100%. I am typing either http://www.* and www.* or editing a successful entry. any other function works no prob, its only failing when typing them in

a successful entry does not have highlighted text and whenever it fails the text remains highlighted

:confused:

G'ßöö;1030560635 said:
after a few scans I found nothing so I formatted (wanted to anyway). after a fresh install and a new keyboard it still does it. it will not work twice in a row or even on a new tab most of the time if not 100%. I am typing either http://www.* and www.* or editing a successful entry. any other function works no prob, its only failing when typing them in

a successful entry does not have highlighted text and whenever it fails the text remains highlighted

:confused:

:confused: I'm rather stumped on this one, I have never seen this.

I had the exact same problem on the PC that I built for my wife.
It turned out that it was caused by the nVidia firewall:
Network Access Manager (NAM) .
Uninstalling that (in Add/Remove Programs) and rebooting fixed it.

Here are the relevant system specs on her PC:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939, 64-bit CPU
Chaintech nVidia nForce4 Ultra Socket 939 Motherboard
1GB Rosewill 184-Pin 2x512MB DDR PC3200 RAM
Sapphire ATI RADEON X300 Video

It was running the original drivers and firewall that came with
the MB back in Feb 2005 when I built it, but this problem only
started showing up after we installed IE7 recently.

Wish I could say I was so smart that I figured this out myself,
but actually I found another forum via Google where somebody
else had the same problem and this fixed it for him too.

Hope this helps.
If you aren't running nVidia NAM, then I have no clue what is wrong.

This is definitely an issue on your end. IE7 works the same as IE always has. Enter or Go work fine.

-bZj

This is definitely an issue on your end. IE7 works the same as IE always has. Enter or Go work fine.

-bZj
G...ya think? :rolleyes:

Here are the relevant system specs on her PC:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939, 64-bit CPU
Chaintech nVidia nForce4 Ultra Socket 939 Motherboard
1GB Rosewill 184-Pin 2x512MB DDR PC3200 RAM
Sapphire ATI RADEON X300 Video

It was running the original drivers and firewall that came with
the MB back in Feb 2005 when I built it, but this problem only
started showing up after we installed IE7 recently.

Wish I could say I was so smart that I figured this out myself,
but actually I found another forum via Google where somebody
else had the same problem and this fixed it for him too.

Hope this helps.
If you aren't running nVidia NAM, then I have no clue what is wrong.
great info man!! I gave up on this for awhile now but this made sense and it did it! whatever's in petty cash is yours!! UDAMAN!!! CHEERS!

I'm happy that this fixed it for you too. Glad I could help.
Keep the petty cash and help the next poor Windows victim
who has a mysterious problem crop up :)

I was working on a friend's machine ..with the same EXACT issue.
It is driving me crazy. If i change phishing settings..i can type in any url..hit enter..and it will go to that site...But, try it again and nothing when i hit the enter key.

So the workaround so far is to press ctrl - o and type url in that bar ...which is not a satisfactory solution.

Soooo...nvidia firewall has caused issues in the past on this machine..and has been disabled.

But it sounds like you are saying the whole thing must be uninstalled somehow...

i will try to find a way to do this tomorrow.

TIA if it fixes problem ..and curse nvidia!!

you have to uninstall it (in Add/Remove Programs) to fix this problem.
It was disabled on my wife's PC also but she still had the problem.
Just disabling it doesn't help. Gotta rip it out root and branch!!
Must be some rogue DLL or something, who knows??

@tdietsche: thanks, your post solved my IE7 problem. removed nvidia NAM and IE7 works like a charm :)

Kester Meijer
http://www.mycockpit.org - for cockpit builders information
http://fly.ekezz.com - to see my cockpit construction

Back