Another Vista Victim

MrE

2[H]4U
OK, I've been running Vista Ultimate since RTM, and for the most part everything works except for my printer. HP said that they would have Vista drivers come Vista launch. They had every indication that this was happening and so I waited for the Retail release. So, its launched, I saunter over to HP's website, where, I do a search for an HP Photosmart P1100 printer. Lo and behold, what do I read?

We are sorry to inform you that there will be no Windows Vista printer driver available for your HP product. Therefore your product will not work with Windows Vista.

If you are using the Windows Vista operating system on your computer, please consider upgrading to a newer HP product that is supported on Windows Vista.
HP has numerous products on the market that support Windows Vista:

Dammit, these guys are too lazy to write a new driver for their product? So fine, I said, I need a driver for my HP Scanjet USB scanner I have. Same @#%$#% message! Yea, I got kicked in the balls by HP not once, but twice.

Point to this rant? Just and FYI to all those thinking about upgrading. Check your hardware out before the upgrade. Let us mascocists go first. :)

-E

Link to the HP Message.

whats your product? i have HP Photosmart 1000 and Deskjet 634, there over 4 years old i was wondering if HP would make Vista driver :(

FWIW, Vista doesn't play well with many of the consumer oriented printers. I sit here with 3 Lexmarks 3in1 with the same problem, BUt, Lexmark has stated they will be putting out drivers soon. An EPSON CX5000 and its software work excellent with Vista. It was $89 at a Compusa.And it's a 3in1. with the individual ink tanks.

Same printer, same problem. I got that message a bit ago too.

Its okay by me though, HP has come out with new printers and this guy is fairly old for a printer... I can invest in a new printer. Annoying that there is no support, but mine really is quite old.

Well, I am fortunate as my 9 year old HP Color Laserjet 4500DN has the drivers built into Vista.

My HP 7800 printer has built in support, thank goodness. HP has good products, some of them at least, but yeah, you are getting screwed a bit. Ouch.

A good tip is to go to the add hardware section, choose I will pick the driver, and check out the printers there. theres a ton of real old stuff ,but not much newer( 2yrs or less) stuff.

I can see the headlines now "Windows Vista causes more consumer waste due to lack of driver support. Film at 11." Hah!

Ah well, its time to let it go. I just found it humorous that they suggested I upgrade to a newer HP product after taking me out at the knee.

-E

Early on LEXMARK stated that they would NOT be giving older product anty VISTA support but then the backpaddled and said they would be giving support to a list of older printers Luckily all 3 of my rigs will get drivers as the oldest is less than a year. I think I sent them a "few" e-mails with regards to support. I asked a "few" of my friends to send in letters also. ;) :D

Heh, Vista has support for my HP LaserJet 4 Plus. This thing might be 10 years old.

Same problem with my ScanJet 4600. They have that message up. I was able to install the win xp driver (driver only, no hp software) and scanner works fine in windows fax/scan wizard.

Its not like these devices are "old" by any means, really crappy of HP to not bother making drivers.

the problem is most of the cheap printers nowadays are software printers, meaning a big driver does most of the work and the printer itself just has the actual print system. older printers, or more expensive printers, are hardware printers and have all the actual hardware inside.

It's funny how many people think this is amazing behavior...I guess no one remembers over 5 years ago, when XP was released, driver support was lacking. Same when 2000 was released, and so one. There are so many threads with people complaining that driver support is severely lacking, yet this was completely expected.

This thread made me go check driver support for my printer...HP PSC 1315...not supported for Vista. This printer is about 2 years old and this sucks. I have another All-in-one HP Printer bought less than a year ago but it's not mine, the PSC 1510 and according to HP's website, the drivers are already included and VIsta and there is nothing needed to DL. I'm pretty pissed off that I can't use my 1315 in Vista. Who knows maybe they will release updates.

That would surprise me...because my PSC1210, which was made earlier than your 1315 has built in support. I'm thrilled, because I used to have to load a 180 MB drive package.

OK, I've been running Vista Ultimate since RTM, and for the most part everything works except for my printer. HP said that they would have Vista drivers come Vista launch. They had every indication that this was happening and so I waited for the Retail release. So, its launched, I saunter over to HP's website, where, I do a search for an HP Photosmart P1100 printer. Lo and behold, what do I read?

Dammit, these guys are too lazy to write a new driver for their product? So fine, I said, I need a driver for my HP Scanjet USB scanner I have. Same @#%$#% message! Yea, I got kicked in the balls by HP not once, but twice.

Point to this rant? Just and FYI to all those thinking about upgrading. Check your hardware out before the upgrade. Let us mascocists go first. :)

-E

Link to the HP Message.

Solutions:
Call them up every day for a month and scream at them.

And then drive over the printer with your car and send it back to them with a note that says "f*ck you for not supporting vista"

Mail them dead fish

Start a class action lawsuit against them *and* microsoft

and finally, Use Windows XP because there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Solutions:
Call them up every day for a month and scream at them.

And then drive over the printer with your car and send it back to them with a note that says "f*ck you for not supporting vista"

Mail them dead fish

Start a class action lawsuit against them *and* microsoft

and finally, Use Windows XP because there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

That was funny:D

damn damn damn

I have an HP P1000

The Upgrade Advisor said it couldn't determine compatibility, I guess this means it won't be supported in Vista, so on top of all the other upgrades I need, now I have to consider the printer! :mad:

I have an HP deskjet 3320 that Vista wouldn't automatically find drivers for. Fortunately HP has instructions on their site that say to run it using deskjet 3500 drivers, which are compatible with vista. I feel bad for anyone trying to make literal sense of their instructions, because they assume everyone is using their parallel port rather than USB. Right.

I am having a blast with Vista. Installed perfectly, had all the drivers I needed to function just fine on first boot. Downloaded the newest sound and video drivers, and I'm rocking out.

:D

My overclock had zero effect on it as well. I know there was some talk about it being "sensative" but it's flawless. Actually, the performance is BETTER than with XP. Installing from CD-Roms is surprisingly speedier.

I am having a blast with Vista. Installed perfectly, had all the drivers I needed to function just fine on first boot. Downloaded the newest sound and video drivers, and I'm rocking out.

:D

My overclock had zero effect on it as well. I know there was some talk about it being "sensative" but it's flawless. Actually, the performance is BETTER than with XP. Installing from CD-Roms is surprisingly speedier.

I feel ya man! A few games run faster than they were on XP. Just wait until the drivers are optimized and the Service Pack is released at the end of the month.

I have a broken Lexmark all in one printers, guess when i go for a replacement I better check to make sure there are Vista drivers.

Seems to me that the Printer companies are the wicked step mothers of computers, not only do they overcharge us for the ink, now there forceing us to upgrade and buy new. My suggestion to you HP owners out there is Think about this before you bye your replacement and get something other than HP! That will teach those cheap lazy bastards for forceing you to buy a new printer!

I have a Photosmart 1215 and the Vista link is not even on the page to tell me they wont support Vista based drivers for it. Seems like a money making move if you ask me. People get a new OS with an older Printer and are forced to buy a new printer, would be HP since the one they had before was an HP that doesnt work in Vista but they liked the HP printer. Pretty crappy if you ask me. That is the one reason I removed the public Beta from my system was I was unable to print anything.

I've got a deskjet 720C, running on the same ink tank since 4 years, screw new printers, I never intended to use vista anytime anyways ^^

Looks like the same driver support that we got when XP first came out - not much. :(

I've got a deskjet 720C, running on the same ink tank since 4 years, screw new printers, I never intended to use vista anytime anyways ^^

My 882C is the same way... ink cartidges last a long time.

I feel ya man! A few games run faster than they were on XP. Just wait until the drivers are optimized and the Service Pack is released at the end of the month.

umm, which month might that be? nov '07? :D

It's funny how many people think this is amazing behavior...I guess no one remembers over 5 years ago, when XP was released, driver support was lacking. Same when 2000 was released, and so one. There are so many threads with people complaining that driver support is severely lacking, yet this was completely expected.

No, I don't think its amazing behavior. I got bit from the move to XP from 2000. A Samsung laser printer I had had no upgrade path. The best part was that the printer was less than a year old.

My Photosmart granted, is an older printer. My HP Scanjet scanner is 14 months old. That one took me by surprise. So, as my original post pointed out, be wary of printer/scanner companies such as HP providing Vista support. It seems writing a driver for existing products isn't profitable, but asking to purchase new HP hardware is.

-E

I can see the headlines now "Windows Vista causes more consumer waste due to lack of driver support. Film at 11." Hah!

Ah well, its time to let it go. I just found it humorous that they suggested I upgrade to a newer HP product after taking me out at the knee.

-E

I suggest you blame hp and not microsoft. Microsoft doesnt write the drivers. ;)

ran into the same BS with my scanjet 220C. in vista x32, the xp drivers work.

no xp 64 drivers for my scanner that i can use with vista x64, real piss off. look on planet x64, some people have gotten the xp 64 and xp 32 drivers to work on vista rtm.

you have to love HP, i guess they want us to NEVER buy another HP product... stupid @#@$% backwards company. next scanner I am going cannon, no support problems there.

Printer wise, waiting for x64 drivers for my hp 1020, running it off a 2nd pentium 3 comp over the network via generic hp drivers off my vista box.

Mr. HE - and everyone else.

For color printers that do a lot of complicated stuff in their driver, this might not work, but it worked for my Samsung ML-1740 laser which uses a USB interface -

1) With your printer unplugged, install the drivers, if the installer whines about the fact that there's no printer attached, override it. At least my Samsung drivers let me do this.
2) Go to properties for the printer, switch the port from COM1 to USB (it says Virtual, but don't worry, it's real.)
3) Plug your printer back in.

It won't say anything, but it might work. Just print a test page to check.

If the XP drivers really aren't compatible, Vista will throw a tantrum at some point do doubt.

At any rate I'm sure this will work for recent Samsung laser printers, since the functionality is the same.

They could have perhaps written a generic driver for it.

Microsoft doesn't write the drivers. Even the built-in drivers are basic drivers from the hardware manufacturer. Ergo: Blame HP, Lexmark etc. and not Vista. Btw, my HP Laserjet 1200 works fine, driver is built-in.

Back