Cleaning an LCD

natermeister

Limp Gawd
Hey, what is the proper way to clean an LCD monitor? I've never had a laptop and I'm on my first set of LCD monitors. I'd like to know since they're getting kinda dirty.

Thanks,

-Nate

I use cheap lcd cleaner spray from Office Depot with a microfiber cloth. Just one quick spritz on the cloth does the trick...and is also good for gently massaging stuck pixels back to life.;)

I just use filtered water from my fridge and spray it on using a spray bottle then wipe off. Does the trick for me.

rember always use purifed water normal water will leave shit marks on your screen once it drys up

The LCD cleaners are 100% pure isopropyl alcohol. Special "LCD Cleaning kits" sell this for a premium, but belkin makes a nice one. Just make sure your cloth is soft, lint free and non abrasive.

Not a big fan of using water - I eat while working frequently and get all manner of goo on my screen. the alcohol gets it right off if I spray it directly on and wipe immediately.

The LCD cleaners are 100% pure isopropyl alcohol. Special "LCD Cleaning kits" sell this for a premium, but belkin makes a nice one. Just make sure your cloth is soft, lint free and non abrasive.

Not a big fan of using water - I eat while working frequently and get all manner of goo on my screen. the alcohol gets it right off if I spray it directly on and wipe immediately.

bah i wouldent use 100% pure isopropyl alcohol cleaners if i were you, it damages the AG coating thats why water is better

bah i wouldent use 100% pure isopropyl alcohol cleaners if i were you, it damages the AG coating thats why water is better

Sounds a bit mythical... links to any evidence? I haven't heard this before or ever had any problems from doing this over the years.

Optic refraction correction glasses (the kind computer geeks wear), TV's, binoculors, sniper scopes, etc all have AG coating and cleaners for these utilize alcohol since it evaporates quickly, removes goo and leaves no residue.

I'd be surprised if this was a problem but I've been wrong once before :)

Sounds a bit mythical... links to any evidence? I haven't heard this before or ever had any problems from doing this over the years.

Optic refraction correction glasses (the kind computer geeks wear), TV's, binoculors, sniper scopes, etc all have AG coating and cleaners for these utilize alcohol since it evaporates quickly, removes goo and leaves no residue.

I'd be surprised if this was a problem but I've been wrong once before :)

i used it on my previous NEC 17' LCD it left permanent damage on the screen i could see purpleish stains all over it and nothing could take those stains out :\

As a general rule of thumb, alcohol is a major no-no on LCD screens. Water works great, but my personal favorite cleaner is this stuff (note I have no idea who the website is, its just the first site that came up selling it). Store on campus sells the stuff for like, $15 a pop, but it works great and I always grab a bottle from work. Lasts me a long time even with a 24" and 20" LCDs. Don't bother with Fellowes wet wipes though. . . those things always leave streaks. :eek:

As a general rule of thumb, alcohol is a major no-no on LCD screens. Water works great, but my personal favorite cleaner is this stuff (note I have no idea who the website is, its just the first site that came up selling it). Store on campus sells the stuff for like, $15 a pop, but it works great and I always grab a bottle from work. Lasts me a long time even with a 24" and 20" LCDs. Don't bother with Fellowes wet wipes though. . . those things always leave streaks. :eek:

More rules of thumb, myths, and legends...I'm waiting for someone to take an old LCD destined for the scrapyard (maybe a cracked one?), soak it in Isopropyl, and see what happens :).

So far one guy has trashed his LCD, everyone else on earth seems to be recommending 50% isopropyl...

Sounds like we need some real testing on this. I'll see if I can't find a damaged screen.

More rules of thumb, myths, and legends...I'm waiting for someone to take an old LCD destined for the scrapyard (maybe a cracked one?), soak it in Isopropyl, and see what happens :).

So far one guy has trashed his LCD, everyone else on earth seems to be recommending 50% isopropyl...

Sounds like we need some real testing on this. I'll see if I can't find a damaged screen.
Well, if the makers of "LCD cleaning spray" are using alcohol and it's trashing everyones screens then I think they would be very open to a massive amount of lawsuits. I tend to think that they probably tested their formulas on a number of different screens (mine says "for notebook, anti-glare and polarized screens") before they released it. All I know is that my cheap Office Depot brand does the job without streaking and hasn't wrecked my screen yet.;)

Back