How long before core 2 sees a significant price-drop?

Whipsmack

Gawd
Seems to be the same price since august :( Maybe I I should get a Pentium D 805 for $80 heh.

actually its not really the processor alone that breaks the bank, but motherboard and ram is always really pricey

They've dropped about 80 since launch, I bought my e6400 the first week of availabilty for around 290 and now its like 200ish

The cheapest core 2 duo is 159 on pricewatch. You can easily afford that

No I can't lol I want a $100 core 2 duo with a $100 mobo and $50 memory, and a $100 video card, is that asking too much? haha about the cost of a console :)

No I can't lol I want a $100 core 2 duo with a $100 mobo and $50 memory, and a $100 video card, is that asking too much? haha about the cost of a console :)

Core 2 Duo won't be falling to quite that until April 22nd, where the E4300 will be 113USD, $100 motherboards are possible with Core 2 Duo support, just not the very good ones. You want 50 USD memory? Maybe if you only opt for 512MB lol. $100 for a video card maybe can get ya a 7600 GS or an X1650 Pro.

Cheap Motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135026

1 Stick of DDR2-667 512MB of 40 USD..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208039
For computers your asking for nearly bargain basement pricing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814134003

7600 GS

The processor your stuck though..

You are asking too much. You need to save up some money.

I just ordered a C2D so expect the price to drop any day now.

(that always freakin' happens on ANYTHING I buy)

The price of RAM and the Core2 Duo I can stomach, but I've been wondering about intel's whole motherboard pricing system. Why is it that they are so expensive?

There are $50 motherboards for Athlon 64's that kick ass (SLI support, good overclockers, lots of voltage options), yet you have to spend closer to $150 for an intel motherboard with similar features?

The price of RAM and the Core2 Duo I can stomach, but I've been wondering about intel's whole motherboard pricing system. Why is it that they are so expensive?

There are $50 motherboards for Athlon 64's that kick ass (SLI support, good overclockers, lots of voltage options), yet you have to spend closer to $150 for an intel motherboard with similar features?

Really? There are SLI AMD motherboards for only 50 USD? Where? The cheapest I am seeing is around 75 USD and that is for Socket 939.

For Intel the cheapest SLI motherboards are around 85 USD, not that large a difference, prices are from Newegg.

For motherboards it really depends on what you want.

The ASRock 775 was good enough for me for a while. It got me a 2.10 overclock without any volt mods. But that's only if you have an AGP card and DDR1 memory lying around, otherwise it's pointless.

My philosophy on hardware is to only buy something that you have no intention on replacing within a year or two. If you're going to invest this much money into it, do it right.

I'm thinking he's talking about a used/refurbed Ultra-D. That's the only thing I could think of...just some elbow grease and you got a SLI-D instead, not to mention a top OCing mobo.

I totally agree with the OP though. I ain't buying or upgrading until prices hit my range:
$100-120 CPU, OCs 50%+
$120-150 Mobo, top OCing/options/supported by ClockGen + good components/layout

DFI has pretty much spoiled me :)

glad i read this, hope that the price drop is true, but if so, i would be very mad if i bought a q6600 now at $850 and it is down to $500 next month..... thanks guys:)

Back