New DS3 not booting

Reikoshea

Weaksauce
I just bought a new setup and i CANNOT get this thing to work...im starting to get frustrated. I figure yall are one of the largest consumer forums out there, so i might as well pose the question.

Setup:

Gigabyte-DS3 (REV 1.0)
Intel Core 2 Duo 6300
2GB G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK DDR-800
eVGA 7950 GT KO
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A PSU

The first time i tried to boot up the board, everything installed, the CPU, NB (aftermarket) and GPU fans all turned on.

After that it took about 3 or 4 seconds and a i got a long beep followed by 2 SUPER short beeps...then the GPU fan turns off. I look it up in the book for the board it says GPU failure. So i say to myself, "okay, i guess i missed something". So i literally take the board all the way back apart down to the beginning.

Start it back up, get the same sound. So now i decide to trouble shoot piece by piece...starting of course with the GFX card. I pull the card and reseat again. Same beeps. I pull the card completely and boot up. Same beep again, except its within 1 second of me pressing the power button. I put the card back in and pull the power...i get a different beep. 1 long and 2 short (rather than the SUPER short beeps). So i plug that back in, unplug the 4pin mobo connector and reseat that...unplug the 24 pin connector, reseat that. Back to the same old thing. I figure it might not be getting enough power, so i used the random dongle thing for the power connector, and i still get the same response.

After that i called eVGA and they setup an RMA for me. I got the new card today, and its back to the same old thing. Now im here. I wonder if anyone else has gotten this BIOS code that doesnt seem to be documented anywhere. This 1 long and 2 short is DEFINITELY not the same as whats documented in the manual.

Any advice before i make my call to gigabyte.

I just bought a new setup and i CANNOT get this thing to work...im starting to get frustrated. I figure yall are one of the largest consumer forums out there, so i might as well pose the question.

Setup:

Gigabyte-DS3 (REV 1.0)
Intel Core 2 Duo 6300
2GB G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK DDR-800
eVGA 7950 GT KO
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A PSU

The first time i tried to boot up the board, everything installed, the CPU, NB (aftermarket) and GPU fans all turned on.

After that it took about 3 or 4 seconds and a i got a long beep followed by 2 SUPER short beeps...then the GPU fan turns off. I look it up in the book for the board it says GPU failure. So i say to myself, "okay, i guess i missed something". So i literally take the board all the way back apart down to the beginning.

Start it back up, get the same sound. So now i decide to trouble shoot piece by piece...starting of course with the GFX card. I pull the card and reseat again. Same beeps. I pull the card completely and boot up. Same beep again, except its within 1 second of me pressing the power button. I put the card back in and pull the power...i get a different beep. 1 long and 2 short (rather than the SUPER short beeps). So i plug that back in, unplug the 4pin mobo connector and reseat that...unplug the 24 pin connector, reseat that. Back to the same old thing. I figure it might not be getting enough power, so i used the random dongle thing for the power connector, and i still get the same response.

After that i called eVGA and they setup an RMA for me. I got the new card today, and its back to the same old thing. Now im here. I wonder if anyone else has gotten this BIOS code that doesnt seem to be documented anywhere. This 1 long and 2 short is DEFINITELY not the same as whats documented in the manual.

Any advice before i make my call to gigabyte.

Well i was playing with this again this morning, and instead of holding the power button to restart, i hit the reset button and it posted. Im going to update the bios and see if i can get the thing to start without reseting after the initial power on.

If you update the BIOS, make sure you try the F7 first. The newest Bios (F10) gave me similar problems as well as F8, F9 and previous versions before F7.

F7 is the only one that never gave me any trouble.

Repeating myself from another thread, but

I ordered a DS3 on 1/22, rev 1.0
It was DOA

My replacement arrives today. If this one is another DOA r1.0 I'll probably just send back for refund and eat the restocking fee and another shipping fee.

Unfortunately the local TigerDirect doesn't have any GB boards, so in the worst case scenario, I'll probably shell out the extra $ and get the BadAxe2, since it's stocked and a decent price with rebate now. Continuing to waste time and money on shipping is not fun.

Anyone know if BadAxe2 and Ninja rev.B are compatible?

Honestly, I used a rev. 1 DS3 for several months and had no problems with it. I thought it was a great board for the price. Never had any cold boot issues at all. F7 bios FTW ;).

The replacement for my DOA rev.1 board was a rev.2.
It booted up just fine on the first try.
I will post more information this weekend after I have some time to install and tweak everything.

It does sound like your video card to me. If you have access to one I would try a different video card also make sure the PCI-e power connector is seated properly and getting voltage. If you can take your video card to somebody else's working PC and try it that would also be great.

And make sure you do the clear CMOS trick by shorting the 2 pins next to the motherboard batter.

You may have tried all this by now I am just throwing out ideas. Best of luck with it.

On my ds3, I've gotten a clean boot, no beeps, or anything w/o the power adapter to my 7900gs.

may be you didn't hook up the switches properly!?

Read the manual, I remember I had to switch some wires around to get everything correct!

didnt think about that....that would make sense on some level. if the board is getting the power on signal incorrectly it might not boot properly. i unno. ill check it out. i didnt reseat those connectors, so its always worth a shot. All i know is that fan is not comming off again. I have a zalman 7700 and it is a beast to play with.

ive got everything setup now, and im running a little over a 100MHz over clock. Still have the issue, but the monitoring software reports temps very close to my infared thermometer, so im gonna run this and just hope it stays stable. if not, ill just scale it back a bit.

overclock.JPG

What voltage is your memory running at? I read on the newegg reveiws that if your memory isn't 1.8v, it won't run.
Maybe it doesn't like your memory and/or voltage. Just a thought.

Back