Slow vista install

Alex Kron

n00b
Just to keep you informed.

After at least 13 attempt to install vista with a clean install (DVD boot), I've manage to find what was causing my errors (slow dvd read speed and install freeze). I turned off the UDMA on my IDE where my dvd was located. And guess what, clean install without a single problem.

I know a lot of peeps are having this slow DVD read problem so.. try it out. Might help you.

Alex,

What did you change your DMA mode to on your DVD? I am having the same problem by the way.

I went to change my DVD drive and it gave me a couple different options such as UDMA 0-4 and so on. At the moment i just set it to UDMA0

-Jon

I had this issue aswell with an external dvd writer. Ended up shelling out the cash for an internal sata drive and all issues were solved for me.

I had this issue aswell with an external dvd writer. Ended up shelling out the cash for an internal sata drive and all issues were solved for me.

I wish i had the extra money to get a Sata drive :D. Alas, I don't, but maybe in the future i'll take your advice.

Don't want to create a new thread so posting here.

My Vista installation is slow. It takes 10mins to load windows files, than on next window it just stays black for several minutes. than it comes back. when i hit installation than again it take 10mins to load files. After entering the Windows key it take again 10minutes. But once installation is complete i don't see any problem.

Running vista 64bit more than 7months without any hiccups. but when i ever i try to install windows i face same problem.

Tried the dvd and usb flash drive installation but same problem on both devices.

Back