P5L-MX/ E-4300

shmitty

Gawd
I had this in the SFF MOBO Guide and decided to move it out here.
My friend Walt and I just built a SFF computer for him with a Microfly, E-4300, Blue Orb, P5L-MX, and a 7950GT(256mb Version). He did all this with Vista Home Premium for under 800. We got it put together and it runs awesome but I can't get it over a FSB of 250. It is OCCT(http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1145172) stable for an hour at 52C but I can't go over that on the FSB I set the PCI-E lock to 101 and set the RAM divider on Auto is there anything else that I need to do. I read through and seen where some people weren't able to get any overclock with the 4300 but I'm just wondering if I should count my blessings and leave it at 250 or try for more. What do ya'll think. FYIThe RAM is OCZ S.O.E. DDR2-800. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820227116

what are your bios settings?
Did you bump up the PCI-E frequency?
can you detailed the DRAM frequency?
Thxs!

This seems common with Asus MicroATX + E4300. My P5LD2-VM is stuck at 260 with an E4300, but can do 345 with an E6300.

Until Asus gets out BIOS updates. this will be the norm.

How did you managed to @260!
My P5LD2 VM DH/C can sustain fsb@350 with a e6600 (pcie@120) but with the e4300: it's a no go: although bios allows fsb from 200 to 265 (instead 266 to 400 with a c2d fsb1066), it's definitely locked @200...:mad: (black screen between 201-265)

Hey guys, I just got a E4300 and a P5L-MX yesterday, along with a Qpack, (using the stock P/S for now,) 2x1GB Kingston ValueRAM 667, and a 8800GTS/320. Before that I was running a 754 A64 3000 @ 2.4 in a Biostar 210P SFF. I consider myself out-of-the-loop as far as OCing is concerned, especially on the Intel side of things. My last Intel proc was a 300A @ 504. I did read through some of the threads here (including the last few pages in the huge mobo thread) before I went and bought the stuff, but I'm not sure if I missed anything in particular.

I'm sticking with stock cooler and stock CPU voltage.

After first boot I upped FSB to 266 and it booted up just fine. Then I also tried 300 and it booted up also. But I it crashed after 10 or so minutes of gaming. I don't remember whether I upped the PCI-E to 101 before 266 or 300. I also upped some of the voltage settings.

What relevant BIOS settings should I post?

Also, what are the relationship between the PCI-E setting to the FSB setting? I remember reading that you need to up the PCI-E to allow higher FSB... does it only apply to the P5LD2/P5L-VM?

it's the same chipset! except yours does not have PCI lock but seems to access to higher fsb!
over 300 fsb, it is necessary to bump the PCI-E freq!
Try pcie@105 for fsb@300!
post your cpuz results

My P5LD2 VM DH/C can sustain fsb@350 with a e6600 (pcie@120) but with the e4300: it's a no go: although bios allows fsb from 200 to 265 (instead 266 to 400 with a c2d fsb1066), it's definitely locked @200...:mad: (black screen between 201-265)

With the E4300 I had PCIe at 118. If you don't manually set your RAM timings, you won't be able to boot over 200. Mine was set to 5-5-5-12-4. I also had chipset and RAM voltage at max. Hope that helps.

Just got home, first tired PCIe at 110, but NIC would corrupt data for some strange reason. Backed down to 105, now running OCCT.

cpuz: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=168032

Edit: Sat through the 30 min, no error message or anything - I suppose that means it passed? I'm kinda wary of upping the PCIe again... wonder how much headroom I have in terms of FSB. I'm going to game a bit to make sure that 300 is actually good to go.

Edit2: 300 seems stable, so I played around for a bit more in the BIOS. Seems like as long as FSB is set to less than three times PCIe, it will boot and stay stable in Windows. Only thing is that when PCIe hits 108, the NIC craps out. I can load a local html page just fine, but when I try to access a website, all I get is some broken html. So right now it's humming along just fine at 107 PCIe/320 FSB/2880 CPU (cpuz: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=168056 ) and I'll check for stability and report back.

Edit2.5: Seems like the NIC still have some minor issues at 107. Gonna have to dial it down a notch.

Edit3: Rebooted at 106/317/2850 and NIC seems fine now. Going to run OCCT Torture overnight.

Anyone know how the regular PCI bus speed is determined? 1/3 * PCIe? I might try again tomorrow with a regular PCI NIC and disable the onboard NIC.

thxs a lot for your screens!
The main pb with P5L MX is , as I said earlier the lack of PCI lock. So raising PCI-E raise the also the PCI which explains why NIC is "down" PCI-E@106 ! (for the p5ld2 vm series, the PCI-lock enable to bump the PCI-E up to 120 before NIC & integrated sound card go down!)

Can you give us further details & screens of your bios in particular fsb frequency..
Thxs! :)

Mine e4300 was also locked @ 200, is it the cpu fault or motherboard, and what can I do ?

Do you have a P5LD2 VM mb serie?
If it is the case: bump the PCI-E@118 and set fsb between 201-265!
And yes the culprid is the mb..

For those of you with the P5LD2, have you guys tried pin-modding the E4300 to run at 266 by default? Not sure if that'd help - I'm just asking.

Back to my P5L-MX. NIC still isn't completely trouble-free at 105. Can't RDP to it without getting disconnected due to some encryption errors. BIOS shots:

Other than the NIC everything seems fine tho. Ran OCCT for 7+ hours overnight and not a hitch.

So a PCI lock is what keeps the PCI at 33 MHz independent;y of PCIe clock. What (besides the obvious NIC) are tied to the PCI bus instead of PCIe? That is, what other part of the mobo would benefit from a PCI lock? Should I try with an addon PCIe NIC or PCI NIC, and if so, which one?

Both the P5L-VM 1394 and P5LD2 have it right? I might consider swapping the mobo. Although it seems that most people with the LD2 are having troubles with the E4300 stuck at 200. I was first going for the LD2, but for some reason mwave (I usually pick up my stuff from there since I live nearby) doesn't have it in stock when I ordered. Saw the MX for $72 and thought it was a lot cheaper than the LD2's $100. I wasn't sure about the VM (~$90) since I haven't heard much about it, and I didn't really need the extra pair of DIMM slots, so I went for the MX.

Anyone who has experience with the VM 1394? Or maybe another brand?

I've heard of other guys with other Asus boards having the same problems one guy got a aftermarket sound card and NIC card and was able to hit a FSB over 350 without any errors, I think that was in the Unoffical Good..... thread but I'm not sure where I seen it. Maybe that would be an option for you, I'm going to try my friends tomorrow and see what we can do. I'll let you know if I can get over 106 on the PCI-E lock without any errors.

Vipz
I personally would not recommand the P5L VM 1394 which has less bios options than yours neither PCI lock!
For a while keep this mb.
buy a NIC PCI which will resolve your issue!
Onboard soundcard is also concerned by the raise of PCI-E.

BTW: is your e4300 an ES ?cause your ratio is unlocked!

And thxs for bios screenshots!

i did not try the BSEL mod yet cause i'd like to found a software mod (like setfsb)

I doubt my E4300 is an ES - I got it from mwave. Plus the ratios are only unlocked downwards, persumably for SpeedStep.

I'll take the box with me to work today to try it out with a spare PCI NIC to see if it'll work at 110+ PCIe. I'll also be picking up an Antec Trio 550 on the way - Frys has it on sale for $60.

it might be an ES because even though speedstep use ratio to downclock, on most matx board the ratio is only for core extreme!(like my P5LD2 VM DH & VM SE.
Perhaps the P5L MX is the sole matx board to have this same option as ATX (like P5B series)

Regarding it possibly being an ES - I have no idea, and I don't want to take off the stock HSF since I don't have access to any thermal compound ATM :p

I got the Trio... having some trouble mounting it since the P/S cutout gets in the way of the AC plug on the Trio - I'll have to trim a bit with a dremel or so. Only other way would be to mount the Trio upside-down, but then the fan would be facing up, and I'd need to either cut a hole in the case cover or leave the cover off completely.

I also put in a Netgear PCI NIC, disabled the onboard NIC, and it hasn't been giving me troubles. Right now I'm clocked at 112/333/3000 and running OCCT as I'm typing this up.

cpuz (they came out with a new version, 1.39): http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=168224

I think you are among the 1st to have reach this fsb on a matx board with a 4300!
Very promising! ;)

No way :eek:

I can try going higher later too, but I think I'll need to invest into better cooling. Right now the temps are 51C/53C (CPU/mobo) under load. What is the best CPU cooler that will fit in a Qpack? Preferably one that will also cool the northbridge's passive sink.

I have also wondered about that, although I have a ST Sugo, but I havent found any
good aircool, the only three I have in mind are Zalman CNPS7000B-CU, Scythe Samurai Z andThermalright XP-90. But I dont know the structure inside the qpack.
The thing with the Sugo is that the height is limited...78mm I think...

I've been doing some searching and turning up a bit empty... where can one find more info on the bsel mod??

For this motherboard the solution will come with a soft that i'm testing thanks to ABO 's help!

the fsb value displayed is wrong ( an fsb @316 applied with setfsb results in fsb@348) but effective
the last beta corrects this bug display.
Not available yet!

I'm a little confused by your description but that's awesome have you stress tested it at all?

no stress test: it's a x6800. i reduced voluntarily the ratio in order not to be cpu limited and try to reach the max fsb with the pci-e@118 for this mb!

My beta test is now completed!
setfsb is fully functional for the PLL IDT CV122C, thanks to the efforts of ABO-san!
The new revision of setfsb is now available for download!

Do you have a P5LD2 VM mb serie?
If it is the case: bump the PCI-E@118 and set fsb between 201-265!
And yes the culprid is the mb..
Is there any word out on a new bios update to the P5LD2-VM :confused:
I have a m8 who wants to switch from a E6400 to my E4300, I wonder if I should
do it... :rolleyes:

Is there any word out on a new bios update to the P5LD2-VM :confused:
I have a m8 who wants to switch from a E6400 to my E4300, I wonder if I should
do it... :rolleyes:

There was an BIOS update released a day ago (1202) but it doesn't fix the E4300 problem. I also tried the pin mod, and that wouldn't work on that board either (resets to 1.8 after reboot or after adjusting FSB).

I think it's going to be a while before it gets fixed.

What's the magic ratio for the PCI-Express and the FSB my friend started getting internet problems at 107 and a fsb of 270. Is there anything else that we can try? He's a big gamer and turned it back down to 103 and 240 so he can play is games online without any resets or anything like that.

There was an BIOS update released a day ago (1202) but it doesn't fix the E4300 problem. I also tried the pin mod, and that wouldn't work on that board either (resets to 1.8 after reboot or after adjusting FSB).

I think it's going to be a while before it gets fixed.
How did you get that speed in your sign ? awesome! ;) I want...:p
offtopic; my m8 didnt wish to change to my cpu. He o.c:ed better with his E6400.
The roadblock on his rig with my e4300 was fsb;380 :cool: not great, but not a total waste.
(he uses an ordinary atx mobo from asus with p965 chipset)

setfsb does not allow to go past 266!
The max i could obtain from the p5LD2 VM SE is fsb@256 with the e4300!

We had my friends at 267FSB and it passes Orthos for 6 hours but he backed it down because his internet connection would reset and he would loose whatever he was working on. I've got a PCI NIC card here that I'm going to give him and we'll see if that works he had his PCI-Express lock set to 108 when it was at 267fsb, I don't know what the ratio is that you are supposed to use but I told him to back them both down until I can figure something out. Now he is at fsb250 and PCI-E at 103 stable. If you know what we should use please tell me and I'm going to give him the NIC Monday so we'll see what happens.
Also we are doing everything from the BIOS I don't know if that makes a difference, and the RAM is set to Auto.

You can't get the FSB any higher than 250 with PCIe at 103?

Oh, and definitely try manually setting the RAM clock.

shmitty, I got around all of the bus lock problems by using external cards. I didn't even believe there was a problem until pvhk and a few others made me realize there was one!

Sound - I am using an X-FI and it is working fine. Get a cheap one – they are infinitely better than onboard sound. Newegg has a deal on the Xtrememusic.
LAN - None – USB wireless adapter to other computer’s internet. A NIC should solve the problem.
SATA – None – using PCI-E x1 adapter, due to RAID.

Someone mentioned that it will be stable as long as the FSB is less than 3x the PCI-E bus (i.e. 120MHz PCI-E, 359fsb). That seems to be exactly true. Above 120 is danger zone for video cards although I had mine running at 160 for a couple of days!

Back