ATi R600 vs 8800GTX - New Test & Scores (X2800XTX - X2800XT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
r600xtxjv8.jpg

Quote:
LAST WEEK, WE GOT the R600 driver code that we dissected and inside we found four cards based on DAAMIT chip. We wrote about it here and here.

Now we may have figured out what all four cards are but now it looks now there will be even more than four. If ATI makes the Uber edition water-cooled card we are looking at five cards. Let's first talk about the four we can confirm.

Dragonshead is R600XTX and is a full-length 12.4-inch card with 1024MB memory for OEMs. We wrote more about it here.

The second card is Dragonshead 2 with the same clock as the R600XTX 12.4 inch card. The only difference is that this card ends up being 9.5 inches long and needs 240W power. It still has 1024MB memory and 512Mbit memory controller. It comes with two 2x3 pins power connectors that we already saw at Geforce 8800 GTX.

The third card is codenamed Catseye and comes with R600XT chip clocked 10 to 15 percent slower than the R600XTX. It comes with 512B of GDDR3 memory and is 9.5 inches long and occupies two motherboard slots. In metric world it is about 24 cm long. It eats up 240W and has two power connectors, 2x3 pin ones. It should see the face of the market in April. The first three cards have dual DVI and VIVO option.

The fourth R600 based card that we can confirm is codenamed UFO. We wrote about it here. The clock speed will be smaller than R600XL version and the card comes with 512 MB of GDDR3 memory. It has dual DVI and TV out but no Vivo. It is nine inches long and has dual slot cooler. It consumes 180W and has a single 2x3 power connector. It is scheduled for production in April. µ

Tiny little monster DX 10 graphic card

Compared to the Geforce 8800 GTX the R600 XTX is huge. The Geforce 8800 GTX is nine inches or about 23 cm long. The card comes with two power connectors. We have already seen one 2x3 pin, while this card will introduce the new one 2x4 pins. The new connector will come with new PSUs. The card takes two slots in your motherboard and in most cases, there will be one more version 9.5 inches that will be for retail sales.

The big R600XTX card codenamed Dragons head is the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and SIs (System Integretor) card only. The card should be launched in March and will be available at the same month but rather late march than early

Quote:
R600XTX is no longer a mystery. Spies managed to snap a picture of the R600XTX, the top of the OEM line. The card is among the biggest thing that we ever seen in our lives and has a massive four heat pipe powered cooler.
It comes with 1024MB of 512Mbit memory. We are of course talking about GDDR4 memory that works at over 2000MHz. We don't have the final clock speeds ATI will beusing - at least not yet. Yes, that confirms our story that R600 supports a 512Mbit controller and memory. You can read all about that here as we brought you that one back in October last year.

Just look at the that cooler, it is massive and, believe it or not, the card is 12.4 inches long. It is a bit smaller than the biggest one of all time, that on the Geforce 7900 GX2.
Source: The four flavours of DAAMITs R600 detailed

R600%20info.jpg

Quote:
ATi Radeon X2800 XTX
4way× (MADD(2flops) + MUL(1flop))× 800 MHz × 64 SPs = 614.4GFlops

Core Clock: 700 MHz
Memory Clock: 1100 MHz (2200 DDR)
Memory Bandwidth: 140.8 GB/sec
Shader Operations: 87200 Operations/sec
Pixel Fill Rate: 19600 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 19600 MTexels/sec
Vertex Operations: 15600 MVertices/sec

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme QX6700 @ 5300MHz (353.3x15)
ATI Radeon X2800XTX 1GB 512bit 0.85ns GDDR4 @ 700MHz/2200MHz
3DMark Score 15032 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 5754 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 5841 Marks
CPU Score 7615 Marks

3DMark03 Pro v3.6.0 Final
AMD Athlon64 FX55 , First WHQL driver , all in stock 1024x768 noAA noAF

X2800XTX --------------43606
8800GTX----------------41264
X2800XT ---------------34623
8800GTS----------------32567
7950GX2 ---------------29257

3DMark05 Pro v1.2.0 Final
AMD Athlon64 FX55 , First driver , all in stock 1024x768 noAA noAF

X2800XTX ------------17387 --------700/2200
X2800XT -------------16135 --------625/1800
8800GTX--------------15467 --------575/1800
8800GTS--------------13773 --------500/1600
7950GX2--------------12886 --------500/1200

Source: http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=129035

The card is over a foot long?

And to think that a lot of people have trouble fitting the 8800's...yikes.

Seems like a real monster of a card, though. I would have to invest in a new case to hold the thing though, so it isn't one I'll jump for.

so basically, what your telling us is that everyone has to upgrade to nuclear reactors to power the PC just to play Counter-Strike Source or UT3 engines?

Interesting. We'll see if the numbers hold out in the next 2 months or so... But being that large of a card is slightly ridiculous.

That's apparently not a picture of the retail card which is much shorter and the rest of those specs are a joke - made up by random people thus far. No reliable source on specs yet.

That one pictured is the OEM, which as been stated to be longer, the retail version will be 9.5 inches long.

It doesn't matter. If those numbers on benches are anything close to what they really are, ATI dropped the ball big time. Will wait for the game reviews, but if its as close as the benches, the lower watt 8800 GTX will be the real winner. GTX is what? 70watts lighter than the R2800. Yeah, thanks ATI. Specially if the 8900 GTX comes out at this time at a smaller die shrink and faster speeds.

Think I am going over to Nvidia this time. ATI for 5 years has been enough.

X800 series was nearly impossible to find at launch and over the summer that year.
X1800 was really a disappointment after dropping the ball again on a timely release.
X2800 was based on the Xenos chip in the Xbox 360, with full DX10 implemented, and this took 2 years and you can't do anything with the heat in that time????

So to put in this in perverted terms:

The ATI X600 John Holmes Edition will require:

A bigger box to place it in and more juice to even power it up.

You know what this all adds up to? The consumer getting F|_|CKED again... except we do not get any lube. Hence the reason all these case companies getting rid of all their stock now at low low prices and the new cases and power supplies are continuously increasing exponentially.

We are going to be spending $400+ for a new case and power supply soon only to find out that the 12" of pure ATI power doesn't fit because a capacitor is in the way or one of the power plugs wont fit because it is rubbing part of the case.

I've been saving up some cash for this new ATI card since my X850XT Platinum Edition is starting to wear thin now. But who am I kidding I bought a 1950Pro just to play Oblivion while waiting for the X600 to be released because I couldn't wait any longer.

I pray the pricing on these cards comes down because we all know there is price fixing just like at the gas pumps around the world. But I doubt it.

Sincerely,

Frustrated Consumer.

:confused:

Its funny i thought we were progressing in technology, making all things smaller, but either im imagingin things or graphics cards are getting bigger and longer, good job most other things aren't.

Uh-oh. Going by those benchmark numbers (which I by no means consider a true performance measure):

8800GTX: 15467 3Dmarks, 170W power draw
X2800XTX: 17387 3Dmarks, 240W power draw

R600 has a 12.41% performance advantage, but a 41.14% power draw increase.
Or, the 8800GTX gets 91 marks per watt, while the R600XTX gets 72 marks per watt, meaning R600 is roughly 21% less efficient than the 8800GTX.

gg ATI, hope this teaches you a lesson about improving IPC.

(Now before you flame me, see this thread).

Everyone seems so focused on the OEM model...that isn't the model we'll be buying. The model available to us is a little over one centimeter more than an 8800GTX.

Anyway, until more of this is fact rather than fiction, I'm going to sit tight.

[RCKY] Thor;1030630921 said:
What is the point of testing /any/ of these class of cards on 3dmark05 at default settings?

Uhhh... cause they're bogus fake crap benchmarks? :p
They should of used bungholio marks.
Would of been just as relevant to game performance comparisons.

Everyone seems so focused on the OEM model...that isn't the model we'll be buying. The model available to us is a little over one centimeter more than an 8800GTX.

actually I thought the retail version is a 1" shorter? 9.5" vs 10.5 on the gtx?

1cm longer than the gtx and it wont fit in many case. Most folks are barley squeezing in the 8800's...

actually I thought the retail version is a 1" shorter? 9.5" vs 10.5 on the gtx?
GTX is about 23cm long (~9 inches), and R600 is about 24cm long.

1cm longer than the gtx and it wont fit in many case. Most folks are barley squeezing in the 8800's...
yeah, but somehow I don't think that a centimeter will be a deal-breaker for most people. More than likely you won't be able to fit either if your case is too small.

GTX is about 23cm long (~9 inches), and R600 is about 24cm long.
yeah, but somehow I don't think that a centimeter will be a deal-breaker for most people. More than likely you won't be able to fit either if your case is too small.

I think you're wrong this is taken from the [H] Review

HardOCP Review said:
The BFGTech GeForce 8800 GTX has the same height and width but exceeds the length of both at almost 10.5

since the Retail XTX is rumoured to be 9.5" that would put it at 1" SHORTER then the 8800GEE-TEE-EXX
8800GTX 10.5 inches = 26.67 centimeters
X2800XTX 9.5 inches = 24.13 centimeters

maybe the 8900gtx or 8850 will be shorter, I got no idea =p but people don't seem to be complaining about the GTXs 10.5 " girth

I'm waiting for this card tocome out not to buy it =p but to reduce the price of other cards! 1950s, 8800s :D

I find it funny that as soon as the picture of this card appeared everyone was like OMFG, look at the size of that card, I'll never get it to fit, what's wrong with you ATi...even though each and every thread has noted several times that this is a picture of the OEM version of the card and NOT THE RETAIL VERSION.

I am reserving my judgement until the official release of the R600, I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure that the release of the R600 will be slightly more legit than this thing.

As long as I don't need a new PSU to run the card, I really don't care how much power it uses.

since the Retail XTX is rumoured to be 9.5" that would put it at 1" SHORTER then the 8800GEE-TEE-EXX
8800GTX 10.5 inches = 26.67 centimeters
X2800XTX 9.5 inches = 24.13 centimeters

Holy shit, you're correct! I took what the original post said as fact....stupid stupid stupid mistake.

So in that case R600 is actually significantly shorter than the GTX...

So much for everyone moaning about it not fitting in their cases!

this is such crap. more mouthing off but some jackass looking for his 5 minutes of fame with absolutely nothing to back it up. i say leave us alone little boy!

I wonder when reviewers can expect to have the hardware in their hands...

THE RETAIL CARD IS ONLY 9.5", SO EVERYONE -PLEASE RELAX!!!!
Because, as everyone knows, rumours are always fact!

Digital Viper-X- said:
maybe the 8900gtx or 8850 will be shorter, I got no idea =p but people don't seem to be complaining about the GTXs 10.5 " girth
I'd assume the 8900s will be a little shorter. Probably not much -- I'd reckon a half inch or so.

And yeah, people have definitely complained about the GTX's length. It's something of a non-standard size for ATX cases, which means quite a few get nailed.

Because, as everyone knows, rumours are always fact!

I'd assume the 8900s will be a little shorter. Probably not much -- I'd reckon a half inch or so.

And yeah, people have definitely complained about the GTX's length. It's something of a non-standard size for ATX cases, which means quite a few get nailed.

yea people complained and then they got over it and purchased it anyways? so who do you blame, the consumer for eating it up or the companies for forcing the choice? :p I think we were told that the current gen(R600 G80) will be big and consume alot of power LONG ago, and that the gen after they will start getting smaller again.

yea people complained and then they got over it and purchased it anyways? so who do you blame, the consumer for eating it up or the companies for forcing the choice?
I don't really blame anyone, really. NVIDIA made a tough call, and consumers made their own calls. NVIDIA chanced it, in a way.

I don't think it's much of a deal. If the retail X2800s are as long as the OEM versions, maybe that's getting too long. It'd fit in my UFO, but imagine the PCB sagging! Honestly, I don't see it happening. The photo obviously has some sort of bracing mechanism designed for OEM chassis.

I think the GTX is about as long as you can realistically get for retail. It's long enough to shut a few people out, but not long enough to start a riot. Any longer, and you're really pushing your luck.

I don't really blame anyone, really. NVIDIA made a tough call, and consumers made their own calls. NVIDIA chanced it, in a way.

I don't think it's much of a deal. If the retail X2800s are as long as the OEM versions, maybe that's getting too long. It'd fit in my UFO, but imagine the PCB sagging! Honestly, I don't see it happening. The photo obviously has some sort of bracing mechanism designed for OEM chassis.

I think the GTX is about as long as you can realistically get for retail. It's long enough to shut a few people out, but not long enough to start a riot. Any longer, and you're really pushing your luck.

Agreed, It's nice that ATi isn't trying to match nVidia for size. My current X1950XTX is about 9 inches long so and extra half an inch isn't going to kill me.

I am reserving my judgement until the official release of the R600, I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure that the release of the R600 will be slightly more legit than this thing.

Are you sure? That is asking alot:D

The amount of people that are illiterate on this forum is ridiculous. The 12+ inch card is oem :rolleyes: :D :p

this is such crap. more mouthing off but some jackass looking for his 5 minutes of fame with absolutely nothing to back it up. i say leave us alone little boy!

Oh no another keyboard warrior. I'm hardly a little boy at 6 feet 200lbs with MMA fighting training, but if you want to come over here and test your theory you're more then welcome.

Let me guess, no gf and hand too sore?

I'm really looking for popularity on an internet forum.:rolleyes: This is why I post so much. :confused:

Everyone else is smart enough to notice that it's all quotes and I didn't add any of my own comments except you genius. I won't stop reading this forum because of one out of control virgin.

I find it funny that as soon as the picture of this card appeared everyone was like OMFG, look at the size of that card, I'll never get it to fit, what's wrong with you ATi...even though each and every thread has noted several times that this is a picture of the OEM version of the card and NOT THE RETAIL VERSION.

Lots of people don't actually read whole threads, just the op.

Btw, mock-up of the retail card;

164.jpeg

R600XTX-Retail.jpg

Uh-oh. Going by those benchmark numbers (which I by no means consider a true performance measure):

8800GTX: 15467 3Dmarks, 170W power draw
X2800XTX: 17387 3Dmarks, 240W power draw

R600 has a 12.41% performance advantage, but a 41.14% power draw increase.
Or, the 8800GTX gets 91 marks per watt, while the R600XTX gets 72 marks per watt, meaning R600 is roughly 21% less efficient than the 8800GTX.

gg ATI, hope this teaches you a lesson about improving IPC.

(Now before you flame me, see this thread).

"gg" believing everythig you read on the internet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back